Grave of the Fireflies done right. No atrocious emotional manipulation by showing a kid being put in a coffin...

Grave of the Fireflies done right. No atrocious emotional manipulation by showing a kid being put in a coffin, but instead it manages to produce an emotional response through character development alone. Jesus Christ this was good.

Other urls found in this thread:

crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/09/13-1/in-this-corner-of-the-world-director-has-started-working-on-its-extended-version
youtube.com/watch?v=-TuvoRVR2FY
youtube.com/watch?v=_9WEyuMq0Yk
mangauk.com/grave-of-the-fireflies/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't think you know what "emotional manipulation" means.

Every single work of fiction manipulates you in one way or another, but GotF did it in such a cheap manner that the viewers should feel insulted. The emotional response wasnt caused by good directing or writing, but by shock value. Nothing else.

Grave of the Fireflies wasn't "emotionally manipulative" like that. Either way, trying to pick fights with classics to prop up your underdog is silly, whether you believe what you're saying or not. It's good on its own merits. I liked it, even if in the end I left a bit disappointed.

You do know that GotF is based on an autobiographical book, right?

I do, so why dont you explain the relevance to the point?

Are there good English subs yet? The BD was released the 15th of this month.

The existing ones are watchable.

The "shock value" isn't there because the author inserted it to manipulate the audience; it's there because he experienced it firsthand.

This thread is now hijacked by the U S of A,prepare to receive some FREEDUM GOOK !

Otherwise good movie it was very comfy.

unfortunately user is correct this time, GoF is more a PSA than a movie, he was created to shock the rebellious youth of the time

First off: An autobiography is not guaranteed to describe actual events. It describes the event the way the author wants to describe them, not how they happened.
Second: This still does not mean that the events had to be directed the way they were. You have plenty of artistic freedom when making a film, and I doubt that the author timeskipped IRL, so he made use of that option many, many times. You do not need to show Setsuko being burried, they could have implied it and the message would have been the same.

Guess I should get the OP's pic version.
Got the subs and the 720p raw, but the subs seem rather out of sync.

FAK U DIRTY YANKEE WE WILL NEVAH SURRENDER !

NIPPON STRONG BANZAI !

They also are for the version I have, a simply 2500ms delay fixes that.

There a few on nyaa. Which one is the most watchable?

>You do not need to show Setsuko being burried

Setsuko's death is why the author hated himself for most of his life, and the main reason for the existence of book. It's the goddamned centerpiece of the story.

And why is the death of the character directly linked to you showing it being put into a coffin? There are numerous ways to imply it, or even show it, without shoving it into the audiences face.

Takahata is heavily influenced by the school of Italian neorealism, and so his films are simple and direct. Setsuko's death does not unfold as a melodrama, but as a real event told with patience and restraint, so that we have time to reflect. To deflect away from the actual events would be in contrast to this style of filmmaking. There's no shoving of things into faces, nor is there any coddling of the audience, all that's there is what "is"

The only time I'd say that GOTF cheaply manufactured feels was when they showed that cheesy montage at the end. I swear that movie brings the hack critic out of some people on here.

Because that was a traumatic event the author really wanted to relate. Not pulling any punches is what the movie is all about.

You can make a point about scene like that being excessive in a work of fiction, but this doesn't work here. You're not asking people to stop being dramatic at real funerals, are you?

>why is the death of the character directly linked to you showing it being put into a coffin

This is the dumbest thing I've read today. You might as well ask why do people die when they are killed.

Also, did you just call Setsuko "it"?

At a funeral the guests usually have an emotional connection to the deceased, so theyll likely be in tears no matter whether the person is in a coffin or already cremented. That however is not the case in GotF. The overall writing is so shoddy and weak, that the only way to produce an emotional response from the audience is by showing them how an innocent 5 year old is being burried. So that comparison doesnt work, like, at all.

>You're not asking people to stop being dramatic at real funerals, are you?
To be fair, funerals are stupid, if I died I just want to be buried in my backyard or something like that. I don't want someone to spend a thousand dollars as if my entire life was that big of a deal.

Well, here you are essentially being told a story by someone with an extremely deep emotional connection to the deceased.

The overall writing is neither shoddy nor weak, and a strong emotional connection is built throughout the movie.

>Well to be fair, funerals are not for the person who died, its for for the people who show up.

Unfortunately the story isnt being told to Seita, but the audience. It might be FOR the self inserting author, but thats ulimately irrelevant to how the viewer perceives the events. The emotional bond between viewer and cast is not established through whats being depicted on screen for 95% of the movies runtime, but through the simple shockvalue of a single scene.

>Why is this girl being so dramatic? Like, there's way more stuff happening other than deaths. And obviously not everyone is dead at the end, you're already being rescued for chrissakes.

The Soviets thought this way, actually. That second to last line is censored on the memorial.

Uh, what? The story is being told BY Seita.

>The emotional bond between viewer and cast is not established through whats being depicted on screen for 95% of the movies runtime

Well that's the case of this particular viewer, who may have empathy problems.

To say that emotional connection is only created in that one scene is to deny simple facts. Even if the rest of the movie had no effect on you whatsoever, to say that it had no part in creating a connection between the viewer and the characters is just false. And in the case where such a connection isn't made, I think it's the fault of the viewer rather than the movie. Whether because of a lack of empathy or because he predetermined his opinion of it.

The whole movie is establishing that connection: it's entirely centered on the views and actions of the two children, from Seita's point of view. You knew a whole lot about who Setsuko was by the end. You're probably on the spectrum if you at no point could relate to them emotionally enough to care about their struggles without the image of a dead child and I'm not memeing. Get some help man.

>u showing it being put into a coffin?
What's the problem with that? You might as well say that fiction doesn't need to show people actually dying in realistic or visceral ways, It can just imply they died, or It can sugarcoat their deaths.

To me it just seems you have a personal problem with the scene, maybe because it made you uncomfortable, and thus you are trying to justify your subjective perception of the scene with a really twisted logic.

not even him, but bullfuckingshit

Right back at you, I guess

Ok, then let me rephrase this. An emotional connection that warrants the viewer feeling bad for the cast. If anything, the emotional link that is being established is related to feeling anger. Compassion is being shoehorned by showing Setsuko being put into a coffin, nothing else.

>dude youre autistic lol
Funny, since its fairly easy to emotionally stimulate me into shedding tears. The movie this thread was initially about did so multiple times, and it was due to simple character development and proper writing. No corpse, no loss of human life, but a simple change in behavior that showed how much the respective characters grew over the course of a mere 2 hours.

>Funny, since its fairly easy to emotionally stimulate me into shedding tears.

this. "B-BUT YOU JUST CAN'T FEEL EMOTIONS AUTIST" is the #1 defense for GotFaggot shitters. yet i tear up all the time, if it's earned.

GotF just insults the audience at every turn. you have to have the foresight of a mole not to see the abuses flying at you and how trite the whole thing is.

Yeah man. I felt angry when they caught the fireflies, and when Setsuko buried them after they died. And when she made imaginary onigiri out of mud for her brother, boy that really pissed me off. Don't even get me started about that time Seita was catching air bubbles with a rag to make his sister laugh. Your bullshit makes no sense, user.

Subs are good enough for now, but a more accurate translation would improve the movie a little but. It didn't affected me because I had reread the manga and knew what the characters were saying with precision.

I'm impressed with this movie, the adaptation was really good, they handled well the parts that they had to left out because of money and time. Though, I need to say, the cuts weakens the relationship between Suzu and Shuusaku, you really don't see what was actually happening with them and why Suzu thought about abandon the Hojos to go back to her family, and what was her personal grow after that whole ordeal.
I simply can not forget that I read the manga and know what is the impression one have knowing only what is shown in the movie.

Agreed. Grave of the Fireflies is the very definition of "forced depth."

Uh the messages of both of these films were completely different though.

>"forced depth."
>forced
It was a true story though. How can real life be forced? I think you just have a hard time facing reality, boy I hope you never see that soviet film Come and See, if you really thought Fireflies was too much for you.

Grave of fireflies was never meant to make you emotional in same way that normal hollywood movies do. The viewer gets angry, frustrated and empty after watching it because that was exactly the intention of the film. It does not sugarcoat anything, nor it pulls any punches, and that's why you dislike it. You rather have the usual mainstream filter on your movie so that you don't feel uncomfortable watching it.
By this point your criticism pretty much boils down to ''The only way to instill emotions on people or to make a scene good is the way I like it.''
Except people gave multiple arguments as to why his complaint is bullshit. Out of all the arguments, only one people called him autist, and just one time.
Nice way to deflect criticism and validate your opinion though.

They're making an extended version of the film right now.

Source? I know the film did quite well in the box office, but I didn't know it did that well to warrant this.

DON'T YOU DARE LIE TO ME ABOUT THIS user!

Really? Honestly I felt it was too long, but maybe more time could even things out a bit as well.

I'm not even the biggest fan of GotF, but the criticism that people generally direct to it are so dumb. I think the main problem is that most people who watch it thought they ware getting into a normal sob story.

>and that's why you dislike it
Youre projecting pretty hard here. I dislike it because its only way to force emotional response is by shoving a 5 year old into a coffin. I couldnt care less about the imagery, thats just your failed attempt at interpreteting my statements, but I do wonder how well this movie would have been received, hadnt it been for the burial scene. Well never know, but I am fairly confident in claiming that it would have been forgettable.

At the end of the day you dont leave the movie theater being satisfied, if all a movie caused was frustration and anger. Thats precisely what Grave of the Fireflies is. Its a frustrating experience for almost its entire runtime and the only thing that turns that around is are the last 5 minutes of shoehorned death sequences. You didnt leave the cinema thinking
>wow that was a well writting film that really made me positively attached to the main cast
You leave it being sad over an innocent child falling victim to war, even though it being almost exclusively Seitas fault. The emotions that you felt for 80 minutes straight are wiped aside by one of the most forced scenes in the history of the medium. Thats my problem with it, and thats why its so cheap.

crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/09/13-1/in-this-corner-of-the-world-director-has-started-working-on-its-extended-version

>It does not sugarcoat anything, nor it pulls any punches

and it does this in the laziest, most obvious, and most insulting way

>You rather have the usual mainstream filter on your movie so that you don't feel uncomfortable watching it.

YIKES

It's really true.
I don't read moorunes, missed those tweets.
I'm really happy right now, with those scenes left out animated and added the movie will reach perfection.
Guess good things really happen in the world.

I agreed with everything except the last part.
Not showing her being buried would be a cop-out and pretty much censorship. Not to mention that it was the reason the story was made in the first place.
Pulling punches is one of my least favorite things in any form of fiction.

Grave of the Fireflies was based on a true story and they guy's sister did die of malnutrition in real life.

> dislike it because its only way to force emotional response is by shoving a 5 year old into a coffin.

Given that she died in real life this was unavoidable.

>but I do wonder how well this movie would have been received, hadnt it been for the burial scene. Well never know, but I am fairly confident in claiming that it would have been forgettable.

If this scene made the movie more acclaimed then it would have been idiotic not to include it. I have no idea why you're demanding that this movie be made worse.

>At the end of the day you dont leave the movie theater being satisfied, if all a movie caused was frustration and anger.

Most movies about war and the death of civilians are like this.

>Its a frustrating experience for almost its entire runtime and the only thing that turns that around is are the last 5 minutes of shoehorned death sequences.

And once again you've forgotten this is based on a true story. Nothing was shoehorned in because this is how it happened in real life.

>You leave it being sad over an innocent child falling victim to war, even though it being almost exclusively Seitas fault.

Who would have guessed that a movie about children dying due to war wasn't designed to make people happy. No every movie needs a happy ending.

>The emotions that you felt for 80 minutes straight are wiped aside by one of the most forced scenes in the history of the medium.

Again this story is based on real life. This death wasn't added because a studio executive decided it was too happy.

>Thats my problem with it, and thats why its so cheap.

And you're an idiot for thinking this. Seriously why did you think a story about children dying due to war was going to make you happy?

Youre mental capacity is almost laughable. Why do you even refer to something being inspired by real world events? I didnt say
>dont kill setsuko
you fucking mongrel. Holy hell, what an utter waste of time.

>if it's real life it makes for a good story!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

The only part that they left out was the prostitute girl being her husband first fuck.
What else did they leave out?

>dumb faggots parroting youtubers again

Just that, and she complemented the plot about "choosing paths" with Mizuhara.

>dumb anime "critic" from that guy with glasses
>i-it manipulated my emotions

>Roger Ebert
>masterpiece

Stop letting e-celebs brainwash you, it's already too late for Sup Forums.

Wrong link for the dead man.
youtube.com/watch?v=_9WEyuMq0Yk

Semi-autobiographic.
We don't know how many liberties he took with the actual story but one of his parents were still alive and later took him in after the ordeal. He also said in an interview that he ate stuff he could've given to his sister to stay alive and covered it up in the novel.
What's true in both the story in real life is that he's a huge fuck-up who directly caused the death of his sister, but deflecting the blame to the atom bomb and the callousness of jp society absolves you from guilt I suppose.

Here's something I found, a good read
mangauk.com/grave-of-the-fireflies/

So what happens if I post a youtube review praising the movie now? Doesnt that mean that you only like it because of that specific eceleb?

I hate how every thread about this movie gets hijacked.

Yea I agree.
Without knowing the sauce material, you wouldn't know the significant of Suzu putting on her lipstick which she got from the prostitute.

fug
I downloaded it this morning but now I don't want to watch it if a superior version will be released down the line.

Might just be me but to me it felt like the movie was already dragging slightly throughout the middle part. Adding another 30 minutes to that doesnt seem like the smartest idea to me, but maybe its really good content so who knows.

>it wasn't the correct way according to filmmaking 201 or whatever so the movie is bad

sounds like you just have a vague problem with the movie (probably because it is relatively popular among people you do not like) and so you want to pick fights by couching yourself in some argument about filmmaking

in reality you come across as an autist with some irrational fixation on a part that you probably don't even feel that strongly about in real life, you just want to argue. if you actually wanted to talk about Corner of the World you would have done it without being purposefully antagonistic right off the bad

nobody cares. the funeral was respectful. you come across as insane because you think someone's memoirs were done "incorrectly"

hop off the computer for a few minutes and ask yourself if this is what you want to do with your time

The movie is already 2hour long and the only scene that they cut isn't that important to warrant waiting for another year to watch the movie.
If you really want to know what they cut from the movie, read the manga. This movie is a great adaptation. Art style and feelings were all adapted perfectly.

So the extended version will be like the third longest anime film ever?