Steins;Gate

Anyone else hyped for the Zero anime?

it's B, fucking Afags get out

Holes carry no momentum, it's A.

>being hyped for shit

$10 says you're Brazilian

"A" makes so little sense it hurts my brain to try to imagine it, so yeah.

Does anyone here even into reference frames? This is why portals make no fucking sense nerds. There is no answer because it changes based on the reference frame.

If you say B you either never took a single science course in your entire life or you're a drop-out.

Either way you should do some research on just basic physics and probably enroll at your local state high school and work on your GED.

You can't put portals on moving platforms so this question is just bullshit

>steins;gay

Yes, I am.

You can dumb nigger

How the fuck can a hole transfer its momentum to a stationary object Btards?
P

this, it's A all the way

The surface holding the cube is completely stationary; it is only the universe INSIDE of the orange portal that is moving, and therefore the answer must be A.

Distance between cube and portal is decreasing at a fixed rate. In game when we see this happen, we see the cube exit the other portal and then increase in distance at a rate corresponding to the entry rate. I'm calling B.

>the universe INSIDE of the orange portal
If portals connected otherwise disconnected universes, this would make sense. Unfortunately, when both ends of the portal are in the same universe, moving portals don't make any sense without spacial distortion bullshit.

It isn't transferring any momentum. From the frame of reference of the orange portal it's completely stationary and the entire world around it, including the cube, is what has all the momentum.

>don't make any sense without spacial distortion bullshit.
But that's literally what portals are.

I hope they work in Moeka's scenes. She was fantastic in Zero.

The fact that they're going to join all the routes into one makes me think they're going to botch something up.

A

If we are to assume that the top platform remains compressed to the bottom, then A.

A in Portal, B in Harry's Mod.

Only if it has shaman girls.

A

No, the latest sci;adv anime have been terrible.

>Hiyajo Maho's seiyuu is this girl in Maken Ki
I can't unsee this, she's even "tsun" in this anime.

They'll have them or else I'm ending their lives.

outside of the one scripted sequence in the second game with the laterally moving platforms, portals are never allowed to move in Portal 1 or Portal 2; there's no analog in the games to determine which option is true
not sure about Gmod, since Portals don't work natively in it and have to be modded in as far as I know, making any result dubious

the choice between A or B can't be based on the games since they can't reproduce this scenario, and it obviously can't be based on the real world because portals don't exist in the real world and they directly work beyond the possible laws of physics that we have established

essentially, the choice has to come from analizing the Portal universe and making up headcanons around it
there's no right or wrong answer
they're both right
it's B

From a conservation of energy perspective it has to be B.

Of course, portals provide a ton of ways to violate conservation of energy (for example entrance and exit at different heights), but if you try to be sensible B is clearly most consistent with other expected behaviors.

>since Portals don't work natively in it and have to be modded in as far as I know
If you manage to crouch in Portal 2 (using a low ceiling as coercion) you are no longer affected by gravity because of how sloppily the mechanic was disabled. Why is one pile of garbage code more sacred than another in terms of portal mechanics?
>they directly work beyond the possible laws of physics that we have established
I agree with this though.

How is it anything but A what the fuck

portals are not real so who knows how it would actually work

It's B you dumb niggers. Imagine the portal is halfway down the cube how does that appear on A?

I don't think so, best bet is that they'll do Amadeus ending and then go for true ending after they send the D-RINE

Are you fucking high. from conservation of energy it has to be A. Otherwise you could throw a portal onto a giant piece of styrofoam and start swatting elephants into the fucking sky.

Bait accepted. Consider the force coming down on the platform but instead of portals it's just a metal O-ring in which an object is placed directly in the center of the bottom platform. The energy is transferred to the bottom platform via inelastic collision thus the object sitting in the bottom platform may jump up but only by a little and I mean marginally compared to force coming down to collide the two platforms together.
Source: I'm tutor physics also I'm not retarded.

imagine a portal is going at light speed and it runs halfway down your body and then stops, will you be torn in half by the nearly infinite amount of energy the upper half of your body has? NO YOU WOULDNT BE YOU STUPID FUCKING 27IQ NIGGER. GET OFF MY BIG BRAIN BOARD.

If B was true, then what happens when you stop halfway into the cube? Or hell, even an inch? Despite 0 force on the cube, it's going to just accelerate out of the portal? A makes the most sense because only the force of gravity actually acts on it. There's no "contact" with the moving platform, it's space is just distorted off of the platform because of gravity of the other side of the portal.

Theory of Relativity would dictate that this is a paradox where both answers are simultaneously correct and incorrect, depending on the frame of reference.

Of course it's fucking A.
Several anons have already explained why, but I'll throw in another argument for people who still don't get it.
First, note that it doesn't matter where the exit portal is located, obviously, since the portal links to it no matter where it is.
Second, note that the angle of the exit portal doesn't really matter either. It was drawn here at 45 degrees to illustrate the point, but the portals could just as easily be pointing sideways or straight up or at any angle.

Now that these two things are settled, imagine that the exit portal is located right on the back side of the entry portal platform (for the sake of the argument assume the support beam comes in from the side and not the back). What do we have? A platform with a fucking hole in it, that's all. And what happens if we slam down a platform with a hole in it around a cube? Does the cube suddenly shoot up in the air? No, it does not. It stays where it is.

And since it doesn't matter where the exit portal is located, this is always true.

B A B O O N

So the portal is exerting a force on the cube? Because then it'd rip apart anything that touches it in half. The other half of the cube doesn't have a force acting upon it, and would thus be ripped apart as soon as part of it touched the portal (or sucked up). Think of your paint as if it STOPPED at your first frame. What happens?

The only way B can be true is if the out part is actually moving in reference to the cube's platform, in which case they should have shown the out part was moving also.

The last segment is literally him saying he has no idea what he's talking about.

>thirty-six IPs
>only two correct answers

>The other half of the cube doesn't have a force acting upon it
The other half of the cube has molecular bonds and interactions holding it to the top half. Regardless,
Do people not understand this simple explanation?

There is a massive, gaping flaw in his argument against A (his 3.a specifically). What he says is that in the frame of the orange portal the cube has a relative velocity, and in case A it loses it, and this cannot be true. But he's made a serious oversight.

The picture describes the laboratory system, or the system of the cube. In the frame of reference of the orange portal, the blue portal would ALSO be moving. Even if the cube "plops" out of the blue portal, it's still got the same relative velocity compared to the orange portal as it did before. Nothing is lost, he simply didn't adjust his frames correctly.

The answer is A. Frames do not constitute a problem in this particular question if you handle them correctly, and it certainly has nothing at all to do with relativity.

But if you're so sure that different reference frames lead to paradoxical conclusions, then please. show me. Give me an explicit (and correct) explanation of how trying to solve this from different reference frames gives different answers.

The assumption is that the answer panels are of the same reference as the first panel. Why would you show the first panel something as stationary when it's moving in reference to the next?

All portals do is create link space. Any velocity you have going into the portal is transformed into a vector pointing in the normal vector of the out portal. That's all it ever did in portal, though the force of gravity was only ever applied on the center of your character in Portal. The net vector is still the same in the "absolute" space (because games don't have relativity).

>I have no fucking clue how basic physical work
>i was too fucking stupid to listen to the game's explanation on momentum.

Take your stupidity and get a real education.

>Frames do not constitute a problem in this particular question if you handle them correctly, and it certainly has nothing at all to do with relativity.
Holy shit, you are dense.

nice argument

Excellent rebuttal, user. Now I can clearly see why my arguments are wrong.
Go on. Show me how different frames give conflicting answers. I'll be waiting.

The problem is you're looking at the whole thing as a single frame of reference. The only points of reference that matter are the portals. From the orange portal's position, it is standing perfectly still and the world around it, including the bottom platform and cube, are rushing up to meet it. Hence by conservation of momentum and energy and all that the cube will continue moving forward, flying out of the blue portal like in B.

Your example has drastically changed the problem though. In the original blue is stationary while orange moves. Having them both moving together is a fundamentally different situation.

its a the pressure from the press is just transferred to the platform basically wasting the potential energy. i dont see how it would be B

>answer panels
Did you think I was talking about the image?
>The net vector is still the same in the "absolute" space
"Absolute" space doesn't fucking work with portals. That's the entire fucking point. You can't explain away relativity by saying "oh user this is a universe that behaves very similarly to ours but it has an absolute reference frame despite having moving wormholes lol just pretend it works."
It's a paradox, and you can't resolve it by taking classical physics and shitting magic onto it.
As was already mentioned, if we take the shitty "well the game engine does it this way" theory, we can slam a portal on an aluminum sheet down around the statue of liberty rapidly to launch it into space. The free energy implications are nuts.

But the blue portal is not moving with the orange portal. The second the orange portal "hits" the platform, the entire system is at rest except the cube sliding from gravity.

I've made a simple diagram showing what happens. The out portal would be moving exactly with the cube/cube platform, and result in no net force (just equal and opposite force of gravity).

>From the orange portal's position, it is standing perfectly still and the world around it, including the bottom platform and cube, are rushing up to meet it
Correct, but you forgot that in the orange portal's frame, the blue portal is ALSO moving with the exact same velocity as the bottom platform and cube. The cube that plops out of it has (close to) zero velocity relative to the blue portal, but it still has the EXACT SAME relative velocity to the orange portal. You're making the exact same mistake made here

Anyone saying A or B don't understand that a situation like that simple cannot be resolved in real physics. So stop arguing over literal magic portals.

Instead of repeating "it doesn't work" ad nauseum, try actually jotting it down. You argue that different frames give different results, so let's actually do that.
In the "lab" or cube frame, I think we can both agree that since the cube has no momentum, it would certainly gain none from the orange portal dropping on it, and would come out the exit portal as in case A.
In the orange portal frame, everything else (the cube and the exit portal) has momentum. The cube goes in to the stationary portal, and goes out the exit portal with the same relative velocity. But since the exit portal also has the same velocity to the entry portal, the cube and the exit portal are stationary relative to each other. We once again have scenario A, exactly as show in This reasoning shows that in both frames we get answer A. If you think that's wrong, explain how instead of yelling "it doesn't work". What about either explanations is wrong?

You're still thinking of things in a single frame of reference. From an external view yeah, the bottom platform and the blue portal are in the same frame. But that doesn't mean anything in this problem, the portal connection functionally separates them. Externally, the portals have two separate frames of reference, since one's moving and one isn't, but in regards to the portal connection they treat each other as the same frame. The fact that the blue portal is moving with the platform from orange's frame is meaningless, that information doesn't go through the portal. Only the cube does.
Imagine two copies of the universe, one rotated from the other and the two glued together by the orange/blue portals. One universe is moving relative to the other, and anything going through the portal will be moving likewise. It just happens those two universes are really the same.

this thread is fucking stupid. fuck op is a faggot

Your argument is basically portals can't exist. Orange and blue are the exact same reference aligned in a different space. Otherwise anything going through it will suddenly warp due to the impossibility of just changing frames in such a way. The Portal game has an absolute reference/spacetime.

>it has no velocity according to my poor understanding of relativity

>Steins;Gate
>Anyone else hyped for the Zero anime?
Are you hyped for it or did you just want to post one of these Marise Kuriso troll puzzles?

>Your argument is basically portals can't exist.
Well duh they can't exist, it's a work of fiction that defies actual physics.

>anything going through it will suddenly warp due to the impossibility of just changing frames in such a way.
Maybe they do, we just don't notice it since any speeds we work with aren't enough to overcome the internal bonds and structure of the object.

>The Portal game has an absolute reference/spacetime.
A baseless assumption I see no reason to believe.

No force is hitting it. All velocity is gained from going out of the portal.
So A.

Go to bed, Kurisutina

All you are doing is changing the environment around the block. It doesn't gain any force whatsoever.

dont feed B trolls REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

There is velocity that the block gains as it enters the area of the blue portal.
But it shouldn't cause B.

don't feed A trolls REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If you stood outside the blue portal, it would appear the cube is moving and the portal is staying still. As the cube emerges from the blue portal, it necessarily has a non-zero velocity relative to the blue portal. This means that the speed at which the orange portal descends is equal to the speed of the cube coming out of the blue portal. If this speed was large enough, the cube would appear to be launched out of the blue portal.

this guy, look its simple there is no transfer of any energy to the platform the block is on to the block so it wouldnt gain any velocity at all and just fall from gravity. its not explained what the platform is made of so im assuming its just metal. when the portal drops its just transfering the material to the other side of the damn portal (the blue one). if you can prove there is energy transfer to the block your welcome to show it. other wise Btards BTFO

the cube would just appear really fast. if there was an object or a cube where the 1st cube would show then the 2nd cube would launch.

Reread the thread. B is the option where there's no energy transfer, in A the cube is suddenly losing a ton of momentum. It's instantly switching reference frames.

From the point of reference of the top platform (orange portal) it cannot be considered standing still. We are assuming this to be on Earth with air being the medium between the two platforms. I can assume this since none of us are taking this situation to be in a vacuum. Therefore, the top platform is going to experience drag and resistance due to pushing against air, thus experiencing deacceleration the bottom platform would only feel (prior to collision) air being pushed down onto it as the two platforms come closer, if anything this is solely a force going backwards. You cannot consider a reference for such a linear situation. Albeit, if both platforms were non-stationary, then I would consider your argument, but that's not the case. You can't go through with taking space-time paradoxes of shcrödinger's observer into account here. There's no need to convolute this any further.

I have no idea what you're talking about. What in the world does air resistance and whatnot have to do with the problem?

all you frame of reference fags are apply physics as if portals are acting as gateways into whole other dimensions.

Functionally, portals are no different than an empty doorframe. There are no changes to your state of being passing through a portal and coming out the other side, the only exception is gravity. The force of gravity and the direction its applied to an object changes as you pass an object through a portal that is anything other than from one vertical plane to another.

to keep things short:

The answer is only B if portals retain the momentum and force of a surface they are applied to(that is in motion) and also apply that momentum to any objections that pass through it.

But all the evidence we have from the games suggest portals have no physical properties to speak of, and act as nothing more than an open door that connects seperate spaces.

>all you frame of reference fags are apply physics as if portals are acting as gateways into whole other dimensions.

But that's exactly what they do, functionally. The two sides of the portal function as completely separate, unrelated spaces in regards to anything going through the portal.

Clap your hands hard in front of your face. If you feel any type of air movement on your face, it's because of your hands pushing air out the way. It's a force being applied to (essentially) a fluid medium. Why do you think you move so slow under water?

We don't live in a vacuum.

>All you are doing is changing the environment around the block. It doesn't gain any force whatsoever.
>he doesn't even have a basic grasp of the theory of relativity

Sure yeah.
What in the world does that have anything to do with this problem?

THIS THREAD NEEDS TO GET BACK ON TRACK TO THE PROPER TOPIC

Portals desintergrate upon movement. Entire question invalidated

>The last segment is literally him saying he has no idea what he's talking about.

Showing an awareness of a lack of subject ironically shows more competence than average, certainly more than the average Sup Forums user knows about physics at least.

If orange is going 100m/s down and the cube is 1 meter, then orange will envelope it over the course of 10ms. In that 10ms, it will eject from blue, changing position by 1m to be completely on the other side. Changing position 1m in 10ms at a constant rate is expressed as a speed of 100m/s. Or expressed as plenty of speed lines drawn behind it. B.

Earth moves.

Portals disintegrate upon movement relative to each other. There, happy?

The portals don't move relative to each other though

Earth spins.

No

Imagine a hula hoop ring above you, with you at the center.
Imagine this ring going down to the ground at the speed of light.

If you believe this will launch you upwards into the sky, you believe in B.

without fail

Imagine a hula hoop ring below you, with you at the center.
Imagine yourself going down to the ground at the speed of light.

If you believe this will stop you from hitting the ground you believe in A.

Still motionless relative to each other, the reference frame is spinning with them as well.

A hula hoop isn't a portal and going through one functions nothing like a portal, your example is completely irrelevant.

Holy shit this board is so fucking retarded the answer is clearly A. But more importantly, fuck OP for ruining a possible Steins Gate thread.

>burger maths don't exist
fug

No answer since 1 jug of beer is not defined.

>beer 10
>burger 5
>two mugs = 2
>logically 1 mug = 1