This anime is like bad propaganda...

This anime is like bad propaganda. I thought it was going to be magic and medieval combat vs modern guns and tanks contrasted with Battlefield etiquette vs Modern diplomacy.

Instead I feel like I watched the recruitment video for the SDF aimed at Japanese preschoolers.

Other urls found in this thread:

fanfiction.net/s/11466174/1/Manifest-Destiny
fanfiction.net/s/12254676/1/Gate-Thus-the-Wasteland-Fought-There-and-Beyond
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not only that, it's also just a bad show.
That's the real issue, not that it's "propaganda" (whatever that means).

Literally every character that isn't Japanese is shown to be directly evil from the U.S president, the emperor to the nobles. It's like the writer realised he'd need just cause to create a narrative of killing thousands of primitively armed people with an AH-1 cobra's cannon and thus includes 1 minute of them sneering and licking their lips at the thought of killing civilians, or sexually abusing animal girls or talking in ominous tones of schemes and underhanded deals.

There's no subtext. It's literally "this is a bad guy and we're the good guys" in a very black and white manner. You could dismiss it as just being a bad show, but it honestly reminds me of the poorly made cartoons that Argentina used to make about the falklands.

> Muh Politics

fuck that noise. The only thing I wanted from it was fantasy shit getting pummeled by modern military. Amd i got excatly that.

This is some cookie-cutter opinion

Had potential to be very good, sorta shit it's self a bit here and there.

Are yanks still butthurt about this show? (笑)

I actually liked that the JSDF got involved in earthquake disaster relief in the fantasy world like, since that is a big part of what it actually does IRL.

Shame that the actual military side story, and behavior was so incompetent.

I just wanted a pantyshot of her, i liked the show though.

Don't you ever dare pull that fucking card on me you limp dick motherfucker. I had to translate that fucking shitfest, spend hours of work on minutes of video, slog through the japan wanking, the fucking paedophilia, oh god the fucking paedophilia. Did you notice that among the three female leads, one is fucking 15, the other has the body of a fucking 13 years old and orgasm on screen and then you have the elf, that fucking elf. The only one not looking like a goddamn kid. And she calls the MC daddy. Goddamnit Japan. Fucking goddamnit. Oh, and before somebody pulls the fucking "oh yeah but the loli is actually 900 years old" you have Sherry, the fucking goddamn loli without any fucking excuse. She is just an actual legit kid being paired with a dude three times her age. Fucking hell, Japan.

Is this a copypasta?

Wasn't that just like Hollywood movies? Why was that bad again?

No, you fucking mongoloid. Some people actually fucking work on the dub. Go fucking figure.

That's kind of hot.

Also it IS a propaganda. One of JGSDF recruitment poster in 2015 is GATE.
Also 2017 poster is Onii-sama.

We appreciate your work.

It was also just terrible from a diplomacy and accuracy standpoint.

Feudal societies largely depended on mercenaries and militias. Standing armies were considered dangerous should they become political.In the anime, the SDF engaged in direct diplomacy by agreeing to treaties with Italica. I don't know the Japanese constitution, but this is something that would get you dishonorably discharged from the military in the west due to strict unilateral and civilian control of the military where they have to accept they're apolitical mindless drones.

I wanted it to be smart and thought provoking and instead I got some Japanese self-fellation over a military that's not a military which causes a never ending stream of terrible ideas about what a military is actually for that doesn't try to contrast the difference between a professional standing military, conscription or "self defence".

>work on the dub
>dub
Meh, who cares about them.

I feel you brotha

Or just look at the goddamn ending. Fuck I regret not having done subtitles, or I'd have sneaked in a "enlist now" at some point.

No you don't, you watched it subbed, I watched it subbed (after a fashion, I had the subtitles on a sheet of paper and the unsubbed episodes) everybody watched it subbed and nobody cared about my cunning wordplays.

A surprising number of people actually. It's paying work and the projects can even end up being quite costly.

Nobody on this board cared, but other people do. Most people, I dare say, watch their anime dubbed

Oh you translated the dub? You didn't specify that, in that case yeah what a waste of time, hope the pay was decent.

At least they are based on a real shit

>Standing armies were considered dangerous should they become political
And? This is based on Rome, which had a standing army despite it becoming politically more than once.

I'm hard-pressed to find a better example of wasted potential in anime.

It wasn't worth it, but yeah it paid.

Oh, if only I only had to translate the dub. Find your lowest quality subs, rip them off while fucking the timecode, and hand them to your translator and tell him to make a dub out of it and you have my nightmare. Only having to translate a dub would have been so much fucking easier.

>Feudal societies largely depended on mercenaries and militias.
Not really and even then standing military forces were common for larger nations and empires.

Rome banned military leaders from entering the capital city and learned from their mistakes of having standing armies to eliminate that problem whenever someone got the wise idea of having one again.

If any army existed, it was typically stationed in a foreign land or province where they settled durign Winter between campaign seasons.

I stand fucking corrected.

You are so goddamn right.

Fuck right off. People like you don't deserve to work on anything.

Then how about you fucking do it? Next time some fucking full two seasons propaganda comes in and somebody has to do the fucking dub you do it and then come and tell me how nice, relaxing, and enjoyable it is, you fucking limp dicked motherfucker?

Who even watches the dub? Underage buttblasted murricans?
You can stick your dub right up your hairy ass.
Also
>propaganda
Now ask the rest of the world when you shove down your shitty propaganda with your movies down our throats.

Man up a little and understand the world doesn't revolve around you.

Not an American, but I feel like I'm watching two dickwipe kids fighting in the playground about who is the least like a cunt.

user, you're so far up your own asshole that I may end up tearing the thin, thin veil of your reality with that one comment, but

I'm not american. You're just emptying the decaying content of your brain bowels for a fucking board to see on your own.

Says the guy whining like a 2 year old

Hit close didn't it?

No, says the guy who is rightfully pissed at this fucking low quality production with dubious morals, horrible pacing and fucking general retardation due to having spent way too much hours of his life trying to have it make some fucking sense in a foreign language.

Fuck, you say people like me don't deserve to work on this pile of steaming shit? We work on that crap because the actual talented people look at this shit, look at the payment, and go "fuck no, I am better than this." So fuck off.

What use would a standing army have in your peaceful heartlands? Obviously the army was stationed where there was revolt risk or to protect the borders from barbarians

>tfw no anime adaptation of this
history > psuedohistorical fantasy, there's somehow less patriotic wanking and there are actual stakes because the protagonist faction doesn't have the backing of a nation of 120 million people

wow

let me tell my grocery store night crew how bad you have it

Sure looks like it.

>dubious morals
Are you serious? Was this your first anime or something?

Some people are butthurt that all the females are not 20+ roasties.

poor poor user-kun, did the lolis trigger you so much? Did they sully SJW-sensei's teachings? don't worry I'm sure you'll find a better job perfectly fit for normie such as yourself.

You don't know Roman history. Whatever shite you've read about Rome having standing armies is trite. Roman citizens were exempt from taxes so standing armies inside Roman territory were were non-existant as they would drain the state's funds extremely quick.

Their economy was built on plunder and annexation, putting down rebellions and conquest. They had rules of enagement and orders from the senate, Caesar was probably the only general to annex a territory (Gaul) without approval of the senate.

It's not a case of them being stationed in the heartlands, it was a case of standing professional armies in rome being non existant.

Okay, you don't get it. It's not just watching an anime with bad morals. When I watch the end of Battle Tendency and Jojo tells the nazi that they have different ideologies but he respects him, I laugh with my bud and another scene rolls in. It's not the same to actually work on a project, pour hours upon hours for one single 20 minutes episode, replaying the bullshit sentences again and again, looking at your horribly ripped subs, trying to piece back the sense of the sentence and missing as little meaning as possible while making your sentence follow the lip flaps and then rewatching the damn thing, looking long and hard for any repetitions, making sure your actors will be able to say it and there are not too many alliterations. Having to watch and re-watch and work on each goddamn sentence makes their quality, or lack thereof so much more exacerbated. It's literally days of work having to deal with a sucky source material.

Fuck, anybody who can dub a piece of shit anime without being salty as all hell about it is a saint in my book.

>did the lolis trigger you so much? Did they sully SJW-sensei's teachings?

>SJWs
>Against pedophilia
Doesn't make sense.

I actually really liked the propaganda part as well as the dynamics in the politics
but I'm siding with on the paedophillia, I mean I'm pretty tolerant person
I can overlook Rory, I mean she doesn't even look that young and mentally she's an adult
I can even overlook the Lelei thing, 15 is considered legal in places like eastern europe and even then, it was totally innocent and whatnot
but the rest, that's is just too much
like fuck that shit

>Jojo tells the nazi that they have different ideologies but he respects him
>muh nazi boogeyman
the only places where nazis are considered some kind of evil incarnate is the west and maybe Israel (most probably)
that's due propaganda on your side
the rest of the world doesn't give a shit and many respect Hitler
some even admire him

>the only places where nazis are considered some kind of evil incarnate is the west and maybe Israel (most probably)
>that's due propaganda on your side
>the rest of the world doesn't give a shit and many respect Hitler
>some even admire him
Thanks for the thread people, but Sup Forums's decided to visit and shit it up again.

>Dub

Look at all the fuck i give. Kill yourself

I didn't see the "pedophilia" (which it wasn't, but whatever) as a big deal, we were dealing with an early medieval society here and 15 year olds being paired with 30 year olds was common among the middle and upper classes, so in that context I didn't think it was anything to sperg over

>standing professional armies in rome being non existant.
What do you call all those legions full or Roman citizens volunteering for 20 years of military service? A self defense force?

After watching this show.I couldn't tell I didn't like it because it was a blatant propaganda or I didn't like it because it was merely a shitty anime.

>it's ok for you to slide your political views into your posts but when people respond to it they're "shitting up the thread"
>implying that Sup Forums at it's core is not just Sup Forums discussing politics

This is the kind of premise/show that I want desperately want to see remade one day but in a way that's either not hacky as fuck.

I didn't hate the show/magna there's some decent action sequences and the girls are cute, but it's impossible to escape the feeling that there is a infinitely more interesting show to be mined from this premise. The show teases it sometimes with some of the state-building stuff or little largely unexplored tangents about combating the spread of diseases in this shithole fantasy world or whether there's some weird imperialist shit going on in all this but it never really commits. Alternatively I'd be fine with an even dumber, even more wish fulfillment laden military wank with less laughably on the nose political stuff, but as it is now the property straddles the line between both and is just a mess.

Sup Forums is full of dumbfucks who forgot or never knew to begin with that taking Sup Forums bullshit into real-life makes you a huge faggot and have convinced themselves that spewing outdated memes in public is an act of bravery.

>This anime is like bad propaganda.
That's literally how every fucking US movie involving the military feels to people overseas, though.
If you don't complain about those, don't do it here.

Propaganda is a different word for advertisement, but bearing the implication that it's an ad for something bad.

>If you don't complain about those, don't do it here.

Not him but he didn't say anything about US propaganda and it's irrelevant in the first place.Is that even a defense?

Why don't you just go read about it rather than arguing like a child?

For the grand majority of the Republican period, which is when the 20-year conscription and volunteer standing force, which you speak of there was no standing armies.

The only time they had standing armies was after they had annexed enough territory that the tax income could afford it and even then using a modern definition of a standing army doesn't apply since you can't call it a standing army if they're literally out fighting a war, controlling the population and training militias and new legions from the local populations.

It was actually efficient to operate like this since legions situated in hostile territory would demand tribute, forage food from the land and live off the plunder. This was why Vercingetorix's scorched earth / fabian strategy was so effective against the Romans since his plan to make their lives miserable and starve them to death which he nearly did.

And even then mercenaries were more reliable as mercenaries were more loyal to the emperor who pays them than their own people.

It was the standing armies that actually contributed to Rome's downfall in the end.

>Always a Gate thread when I'm at or going to work
That's okay. I didn't want to read the last chapter with you guys anyways.

Lol living in american, almost every movie is about american army, bitch about other country showing their army in anime...

It's usually the Aussies that start shit in these threads.

Sounds like you don't enjoy your work. Does it pay great? If not, perhaps you should switch professions. With that or get attached to people who are known for consistently putting out "quality" work, like Bruce Timm or the Gargoyles guy. Of course, that's easier said than done, but if you're that salty about having to work with bad material, you really ought to quit unless it pays great. I mean, Gate is not even the worst anime out there. Even if you legitimately hate it, it's still better than 50-80% of the titles out there.

Since the 2nd punic war the Roman army started to transition from a levy-based to a standing army.
The levy based conscription was limited to 6 years, so with saying 20 years of volunteer servcie I already exlcuded those.

I have no idea why you refuse to accept that people serving in the military for 20 years or longer are anything but a standing army.

Knowing that someone like you who's so driven by ideologue makes me glad I stopped watching dubs. No one gives a shit about Nazis except the extremists dickheads on both sides.

Argentina made cartoons about the Falklands? I know the one cartoon where the kid travels back in time, but they made ones before that too?

I liked the show.

I'm not American so I didn't take exception to American soliders being outclassed by the Japanese self-defense force.

It's also true that the show tends to portray its characters as either unambiguously good or unambiguously evil. That didn't bother me either; if anything, I found it relaxing.

As much as I like the concept of medieval armies getting absolutely destroyed by a modern army, it does suck ass.

ITT : Butthurt Amerifats

>stop having fun right this instant!!!
Who gives a shit that it's propaganda for the JSDF, none of yall faggots are affected by it
Just enjoy the cute girls, flashy fights and combat helicopters mowing down medieval armies

I love Rory dude

But the one girl in this show with a design I like isn't even on the poster

please give source

JSDF wank and they can only beat medieval level armies with modern weapons.
Do the Japanese really have that low of an opinion of themselves?

“Drifters” and “Those who hunt elves” do what Gate tries to do better and aren’t nearly as cringey doing it.

I'm just disappointed that they didn't go with the superior manga designs.

>Meanwhile on fanfiction
>Retard and autistic
fanfiction.net/s/11466174/1/Manifest-Destiny
>Edgy and autistic
fanfiction.net/s/12254676/1/Gate-Thus-the-Wasteland-Fought-There-and-Beyond

>Manga exists
>designs are 10/10 everything looks good
>Anime happens
>Turn everyone into a fucking idol or moefy the fuck out of them
Fuck you too Japan.

animes look better though

Wait, pretty sure OP is a pasta.

You are part of the problem.

LN looks the best here, the udders of the manga one are too fat

Why didn't they have characters like her to fight against or competent mages as an actual challenge?

It's awesome.

I agree with this, though i must say the manga is a far better design than the anime style. The anime style is like looking at a deviantart design where someone draws the same character 20 times but calls them all different names.

They had a godzilla-tier dragon and apostle of hardy, though the latter ran away like a little bitch

I watch the Anime first, then the Manga.
Manga is really good

I got the same vibe as Overlord desu

They wrote it that way. You only look like a bad ass if your enemy is an actual threat. This animes battles are the equivalent of a school shooting.

>yanks
I always figured the "Japanese propaganda" complaints about this show were mostly from Koreans and Chinese

Anyone knows anything about this?

wait what
sign me the fuck up

I believe it's a sequel series that will follow the cook as they search for a kidnapped soldier. The focus will be on the naval aspect of Japan and they are going to be visiting numerous locations.

So submarines vs wooden ships and maybe pirates.

Gooks and chinks barely featured at all though, just some politicians scheming without anything actually happening.

This. It appealed to my fetishes.

I guess they are just too free, which is why they are here to bitch about it...

Fuck off I genuinely enjoyed this show, despite it being propaganda. I fucking hate Americans who cant enjoy something patriotic if it's not from their country and cry about it being "m-muh ebil foreign propaganda"

Just fuck off be happy that Japan hasn't completely lost its balls into this fucking furry shota shit.

I still do have to admit that this guy has a point

Someone dump the latest chapter