Pre-2000s Anime Thread

What have you lads been checking out lately?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nsGWu-g5RnM
youtube.com/watch?v=1LQnFTJfYI0&list=PLhIGGiDpA5umirnlmSuRHPxMNsw05eHq7
youtube.com/watch?v=w6CMQxG8Ryk
youtube.com/watch?v=4kBmcuT6Aig
youtube.com/watch?v=XVKXhLRPY5g
anime.thehylia.com/downloads/series/floral-magician-mary-bell
youtube.com/watch?v=HnCEOK8I2XQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BKy8CIJkM4s
camalilium.tumblr.com/post/164005615588/if-anyone-asks-me-where-my-sense-of-humor-comes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Nazi space elves race traitors: the anime.

Urg.

This ed is sexy af

I saw the two first episodes of Ojamajo Doremi today. Might be good, but seems like it'll just be magic of the week format. Should've expected that, and I enjoy those formats too, and I'll continue watching it.

This ED was so lewd.

>Doremi is a 90s anime
well I sure as fuck wasn't aware.

I recently started Lupin the third enjoying it greatly, I just feel really stupid for not giving it a try earlier.

Rurouni Kenshin

I have just finished the Kyoto arc but there are still about 30 episodes left. I can't imagine things returning to the same level.

To me it feels like a wasted opportunity having so few underlings beneath Shishio, and they were all beaten too easily. And there should have been some event earlier where the main gang are all defeated, to add weight to the situation.

SUPAH LUV LOSHION!

i had to backlog this show again. started getting stale like 20 episodes in. i finally started slam dunk and holy shit i am enjoying it.

Watching some classic hentai.

I'm technically in like 2013 now that I'm finishing it up. This shit's been great.

>I can't imagine things returning to the same level.
It won't. Got cancelled before it could even try with the Jinchuu arc.

Started Romeo no Aoi Sora because it's the only WMT based on German book. But it still doesn't take place in Germany. And there is no German DVD release, so I watch a bad stream of an old TV recording. I am really enjoying it. It's great, relaxing fun. And a whole lot of children suffering. A couple of them already drowned.

I've been watching it for a while now, but for me it's just all sorts of decent. And I got myself the Miyazaki movie on BD, which I'll probably enjoy.

I'm really enjoying Double Zeta. Does /m/ take itself too seriously to enjoy this?

First season is not very good until the second half.

Everything after that is great, though

also fuck /s4s/

This.

Is this series supposed to have a lot of nudity or something?

youtube.com/watch?v=nsGWu-g5RnM

Nah, is just the ending being lewd, was a bit common at the time

i've been watching future boy conan

between this and gauche i'm not sure if any of the miyazaki/takahata animation teams knew how to draw eyes until nausicaa

Belladonna of Sadness. P good

everything after kyoto is anime original filler. the right way to continue the story is to:
a) just go read the manga for the true ending
b) skip to the trust and betrayal OVA. seisou-hen is also worth watching for the jinchuu parts but it also has a lot of anime original content that is terrible.

personally i preferred how the seisou-hen OVA handled the jinchuu story, liking it more than the manga even, but i hated the anime original stuff in there.

Just finished Cowboy Bebop. Fuck me what a ride.

The people who didn't just skip it tend to be the type of people who'd like it.

Berserk

Wtf with that ending, can you make a bigger cliffhanger wtf

ZZ is the best UC Gundam, unless you're counting Turn A.

read manga idiot

It has nothing to do with how /m/ takes itself.
Some people like it.
Some people don't like how it clashes tonally with the rest of early UC.
Some people don't like it.
It's that simple.
I wish the memes would stop.

Recently finished the original Gall Force trilogy- they did a really good job at making the conflict feel vast and epic.

I'm almost a quarter into Rose of Versailles and it is pretty amazing. They really know how to get you engaged with the petty court drama and Oscar is a great character, Dezaki's trademark visual style really shines as well.

>wtf
>wtf
>watching the anime
Are you retarded?

From what I've heard Tomino made it light-hearted to balance out the grim seriousness of Zeta and I can't help but feel it was the right move. I jumped into it straight after finishing Zeta and appreciated how different it was. If ZZ was just 50 more episodes of Zeta I think the tone would have got really tiring. It's nice to see a director and series step back and laugh at themsleves every once in a while rather than wallowing in self-seriousness.

ZZ is just like more L-Gaim though. At the time Tomino was just alternating between serious and comedic shows.

started watching City Hunter

FUCK ME, I MISS THE FUCKING 80s!!!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=1LQnFTJfYI0&list=PLhIGGiDpA5umirnlmSuRHPxMNsw05eHq7

Think I might rewatch Patlabor

ZZ is fucking amazing if you come straight from Z and don't know about the tone change.

Finished Votoms. Really liked it, the ending wasn't exactly what I had expected but still was nice.
Gonna watch the sequel OVA, side stories and the prequel.
About Pailsen Files, movie or ova? usually I go with the original but maybe the movie is better.

Yoko was such a shit
Goddamn

New episode of ace wo nerae 2 was posted last week, so I just watched that today.

Also been watching 90s Conan sporadically.

I'm reading the manga but the anime ending is totally fucked up, they could make at least one last episode to explain things better.

Finished Recently:
Great Mazinger 7/10
Urusei Yatsura 10/10
Currently Watching:
Mahou Kishi Rayearth
Lupin III Part I
Devilman

So far Lupin is one of the best shows I''ve seen. Devilman and Rayearth are pretty comfy.

>watching Devilman

Armor Hunter Mellowlink is worth watching, definitely.

Seconding this. Mellowlink is fucking baller.
BD never.

Yeah, I'm going to watch it too.

I also never got around to watching the other material, but I'm downloading Mellowlink now since I was reminded that it existed. I thought Votoms was okay, which the plot was more consistent overall.

I didn't watch any of the sequels after Shining Heresy but I remember they all concerned never before seen plot points introduced in the first OVA "The Last Red Shoulder." Mellowlink is a side story and I don't recall any characters from the TV series or other OVAs appearing. Lulucy a cute.

? It's good. I like MotW shows. Akira is GAR. Also Miki is cute.

These magical girls were so heart warming and melancholy
youtube.com/watch?v=w6CMQxG8Ryk
youtube.com/watch?v=4kBmcuT6Aig
youtube.com/watch?v=XVKXhLRPY5g

anime.thehylia.com/downloads/series/floral-magician-mary-bell

Has all of Minky Momo been subbed yet?

god dammit Tambareen
youtube.com/watch?v=HnCEOK8I2XQ

nope. dumb ameritards are stuck with the wonderful gigi dub.

youtube.com/watch?v=BKy8CIJkM4s

Just finished the Evangelion tv series and End of Evangelion. The series was fucking brilliant up until the last few episodes, and the ending was fucking horrible.

The tone of Evangelion seemed at odds with the TV series. Instead of being playful and charming with clear mental issues, Asuka was retconned into a full on bitch. Shinji was turned from someone with insecurities and sexual inadequacies/repression as a slight side note, into a full on depressed pervert.

The ending of EoE wasn't clear enough. I've read theories that Shinji could have been waiting back on Earth for years, and that he strangled Asuka to check if he was still in instrumentality, but neither of them are clearly shown. How I understand it is that Shinji - after realising that instrumentality was bs - decided to be human. He then (despite finding out the key to happiness lies within) returns to his bitch self and takes his frustration out on Asuka - who is disgusted by him.

It could have been so much better than it turned out. Should I even watch the other movies?

>are stuck with the wonderful gigi dub.
Jokes on you, I'd rather only understand half of the Japanese than understand every word of the dub. Just did it with Great Mazinger and it was fine.

>watching
Emphasis on WATCHING Devilman?

>Just finished the Evangelion tv series
Lurk two years before posting

No one cares, shut the fuck up about Evangelion in these threads, you have an entire board that cares about NGE for that.

Redpill me on why Cardcaptor Sakura is so loved. I might check it out after I finish HxH.

I already read the manga though? Why are you so far up your ass?

>Redpill
I think you need to go back.

Ok? It's better than the edgy shit manga

How new are you holy shit

The TV series is such trash compared to the manga though.

>Harmony Gold

Sakura and Shaoran are cute. The animation is great. There is a romance that is actually gratifying. Kero-chan is a boss. All of the side characters are loveable. It's my favorite mahou shoujo by a huge stretch, and I'm probably the biggest Moonfag on this board.

>implying
Don't use dumb Sup Forums-Sup Forums memes on Sup Forums you absolute autist.

I enjoyed the manga, and now I'm enjoying the show. They're both pretty good. Nagai does well with filler.

no u

Redpill me on Cat Soup

Stop derailing the thread with your fucking autism.

I read the manga last year without seeing the anime. I wasn't feeling it, maybe I was just in a sour mood but all I got out of it was a bunch of lolis and shotas wanting to have gay sex with older men and eachother.

>derailing
It's called self-moderating. Something current Sup Forums is lacking as a whole, to be honest.

fuck off dezaki

When was the last time anime was cell painted?

I started watching Hellsing. I love it. Alucard is a great character. This may sound fucked up but he reminds me a lot of myself.

Masaaki Yuasa was the Animation Director for the OVA. It's pretty kino.

Dezaki hadn't actually started on that show by that point.

They tone down a lot of that in the show, but if you're going into Clamp stuff and don't like age-gap or yaoi, you're probably not going to be happy.

>made in 2001

What the fuck, I did not know it was that old.

finishing outlaw star
i dont want it to finish

sazae san

I don't have a definitive answer but I know one of Sunrise's last cel works (cutscenes for Gundam: Journey to Jaburo) was in 2000.
I read Chobits around the same time after about fifteen years of wanting to fuck that robot with no context. I didn't understand all the weird sex stuff but I didn't know it was seinen till after I read it.
I read a few of those newly translated X volumes too but didn't finish it (much like CLAMP.) Was sorta digging it. My mother was fond of the movie and I still got copies of it in digital and analog plus the TV series.

yyh
really enjoyed the dark tournament arc
also toguro did nothing wrong

start watching touch

really enjoying it so far. hope tatsuya stops being so passive and doesn't keep allowing his brother to take all of the glory

started*

>Gets fed up with being so passive about giving basara her flowers the whole series
>Goes straight for the guy, fuck security
>Some other asshole takes the flowers
The suffering never ends
Also I like Sivil's design, just wish she wouldn't scream as much

the second rurouni kenshin OVA series was released in 2001 pretty sure it used cel

So, even Miyazaki studio donĀ“t do cell paint now?

wish they'd made another series of tokimeki tonight seeing as the manga was nowhere near compete when the anime actually finished

in his latest documentaries you could see him doing drawings with tablets/computers

About to start watching this, anyone know what I'm in for?

Tekkaman Blade

heh

i felt the same but the ending was kinda stupid so i got over it

Depends on the film. Ghibli is shut down now, though.

Okay forgive this retarded ass question.
I was watching a 90's sailor moon clip compilation thata friend sent me and one of the clips inexplicably has King Crimson in it.
I'm trying to figure out which episode specifically it is and if KC really is in it, or if that was an edit.
Time Stamp is 2:19.
All I know is that it's he first half of season 3.
camalilium.tumblr.com/post/164005615588/if-anyone-asks-me-where-my-sense-of-humor-comes

Sazae-san used cels until 2015.
Besides that, I don't know much, but the Pokemon movies used cels until the Manaphy movie in 2006.
Noir was one of the last fresh, new started TV anime to use cels, began airing in 2001.

But this is not a complete list, I would love if someone were to make a complete overview of cel anime in the 2000s.

I don't see it.

Probably should have clarified- It's the band and not the Jojo Character.
The song that is playing is Larks Tongue in Aspic Part 2