Blade Runner 2022

This was really great, as expected of Watanabe.
Now I want more.
What do you guys think?

Downloading now, hoping it will be at least as good as Detective Story

it felt like bladerunner

which is something the live action shorts didn't manage

she's cute

- Nigger in the main role
- It gave me the feeling of "BLM + feminism shooting cops is cool! Hell yea!"
- Also gives me the impression that I'm supposed to feel sympathy for the oh-so oppressed minorities, which in this case happen to be constructed to be better than everyone else. Boohoo, you fight in wars just like everyone else. Get a different fucking a job if you don't like it
- When people beat on your race, if you can call Replicants that, don't fucking bend over until you're an extremist and hundreds of you have been killed. How about building a Replicant union or party? If you are made to be better than human, then just beat them at their own game
+ The memories of the nigger-bot, with the battlefield and explosions were done very nicely. The animation was very nice most of the time.
+ The music was noticeably different, but it still felt like it was Blade Runner

Do you use nigger in real life, or are you too scared?

You really should stop trying to bring in your personal politics into anime. You'll realise it's not trying to preach to you and you'll enjoy it more.

>loudmouth conservacucks never fail to lose their shit whenever something slightly offends them.

Haven't seen it yet. Looking forward to it though, Shinchiro always puts out good shit.

What the fuck is this? CGI? Rotoscoping? You can't give Watanabe a decent budget for a 15-minute short?

some of the CG was a bit wonky but everything else felt really like it was meant to be done in different styles and I felt it was pretty well done

You're right. I enjoyed it a lot, but I guess the things I was recently dealing with and the short had too many parallels for me.

The main issue I see with the story of the short is this. Why do the Replicants just helplessly leave themselves to their own fates, while this tiny cell could already accomplish so much? They really are more capable humans. I didn't get the impression that they are used as slaves, but that the human oppression is based on the database on Replicants.

Though I have to admit that any narrative answering that question would break the atmosphere Blade Runner build. It was never about collectives, but always about the individual's actions. You really were right on the point

They are definitely experimenting with the budget they have. It paid off well, for the most part.

>watches The Matrix once

hahaha what a fucking hack, Watanabe didn't write this, did he?

It had nice visuals and animation but was short and forgettable.

it's an extended media from an american movie. Not expecting niggers is a very naive thinking.

Personally I'm fucked up for a couple months. All anime looks like shit compared to this. I caught a glimpse of a glorious past and now there is nothing.

>produce a short film animated by some of the most celebrated animators in Japan
>people still complain

Expect modern american media from now and upwards will be only black MCs, user.

THis is the future you choose.

I really liked this short, it just felt right - probably because of all the similarities to great 80's OVAs like Bubblegum Crisis and Cyber City Oedo that were themselves influenced by the original Blade Runner.

Wahhh wahhhh, no one gives a shit

I liked it. Really did the cyberpunk thing well; felt like Blade Runner with the atmospherics. I got that old "hard-boiled" feeling from it, like I was a kid again, watching something enjoyably edgy that I wasn't supposed to. Only complaints: the volume varied wildly from scene to scene, and sometimes I had to jack the volume up some to hear the characters speak; and the pacing felt janky. Yeah yeah, 15 minute short and all, but the pacing was noticeably jarring in a couple spots. Still, this is good stuff, I liked it, and I want to see more of it.

You must be 18+ to post on this board, faggot. Now fuck off already.

You're surprised that a cyberpunk story involves fighting 'the man?'

Parts of it felt wonkey, I don't think we really needed to know the backstory or personality of the guy flipping the big nuclear button, I'd rather we had gotten to know Trixie and Big Nig (can't remember his name). Beginning and ending sequences with Big Nig walking through the fire was awkward though, literally two frames on the swaying cape.

Outside of that, everything looked nice. Trixie going to town on the rent-a-cops was fluid and well animated. the war flashback was amazing, and the English voice acting was actually pretty good. Also, Flying Lotus is credited as doing the soundtrack, that's pretty cool.

>lol
Fuck off

Boyy... They're robots with no human rights. They can't choose jobs they're assigned jobs like a toaster can't wash cars. Also if you couldn't tell it wasn't a real war but rather a war game with robot soldiers only.

You're getting something from absolutely nothing.

It had a good budget, and they produced good material with it. That scene just has some odd filters and shading that are clashing.

Replicants aren't robots, they're genetically engineered humans.

Tried too hard. Still worth a 05/10.

They're assigned jobs though and treated effectively as robots. The Tyrell corp isn't just making them and releasing them to live their lives; they're producing them to be sold as tools.

The term makes a big difference because they can feel pain and emotion, they aren't metal and circuits.

They still have no souls.

Meanie.

This is exactly how I felt, unironically.
I thought it was meh for some reason but now it's pretty clear why.
Also the amount of butthurt you caused is astonishing.

Nigga plz

The story wasn't interesting and there was a lot of really uninteresting down time. HOWEVER this had a bunch of my favourite animators on it, and Ohira's and Hashimoto's scenes in particular got me excited about animation in way that I haven't felt in a while. Made me nostalgic for the 90s.

>You're surprised that a cyberpunk story involves fighting 'the man?'

When the person fighting "the man" is non-white it makes the story rather unbelievable. If you're American you know there's a 0% chance of non-whites fighting to take down the institutions that pay for their food, housing, and healthcare. Every election they vote for whoever promises to increase the size and role of the government more. Seriously, name a prominent black libertarian.

read
It's not about the current situation in the US it's
an alternate reality with andriod servants that rebel because they want to be human.
It's not about black people revolting in anyway, the main charcter of this short just happend to be black.

>dubbed
Dropped.

I mean, in this case Japanese would be the dub.

>The story wasn't interesting and there was a lot of really uninteresting down time.

Blade Runner in a sentence.

Then why does the english dub sound so bad?

FYI the replicants are androids which means they are humanoid robots. There is no such thing as a black or white or whatever replicant because the concept of race is irrelevant for a robot.

Bad voice acting?

MAybe I´m alone with that sentiment, but I really didn´t like it. In stills it looked great and the girl was cute, but outside of the fight the animation was really bad, the Voice over was as bad as you would expect from a dub, and the whole story felt really in your face and unsubtle. I always cringe when people say that but this time it really hit me: "Show, don´t tell"
If the characters didn´t talk for 90% of the short it could have been so much more impactful. Especially after they showed that the soldiers on both sides were replicants. They already showed the serial number on his eye, everyone got it! But Tyrone has to explain:"I REALIZED THAT EVERYONE WAS REPLICANT!!!!111!!"
Also, I might be a speed watcher, but why did they even shoot the nuke? They launched it and were then surprised that it actually detonated? Did they want to nuke the "enemy" and that beta guy just rerouted it? and this only by hitting the CTRL key? And why only LA? Just to erase data on who is a Replicant and who not, which is conveniently stored only there? You can still determine an android with the Voigt Kampff test, even in the Bladerunner version of the lore.
Also I fear that this movie will go the route of being a slavery analogy with dindu Replicants, that are hunted for being born Replicant, which is even more insulting to the source material than the original Bladerunner movie.

Isn´t the point that they CAN`T feel emotion? That they´re basically human looking things, that think like a human, have the intellect and the drive of a human, but lack any sort of empathy? Basically a bunch of sociopaths

It's simply too short to be able to properly judge it. It also feels like a tiny part of something "proper" so at the end, it's supposed to be promotional material for the new Blade Runner film but falls short as a standalone episode/piece. That's all there is to it, I'm not really interested in 15 minutes of nothing that leads nowhere.

>they can feel pain and emotion
They can't, atleast not initially, that's why they have the safety installed that kills them after a few years, because they start to develop feelings.

They lack any form of own will and feelings, but after a few years they will start developing those things. That's why they have the safety installed that kills them, You probably remember how in the first movie the "villain" wanted to have that safety removed and increase his lifespan, it's also why he dies at the end, his body basically shuts down. Rachel in the first movie was an experiment where the creator inserted memories into her so she would develop feelings and a "soul" even quicker.

It is not.
Engineers came to conclusion that with enough time replicants will develop emotions.
Nexus6 models had 4 y lifespan so they could not develop empathy.

It just felt like that one Animatrix short where they start killing the robots. Could've gone without seeing it.

they develop emotions, should be interesting now that there's no used by date on the new nexus

Did they expand the universe just because of the new movie or were the events implied in the book? It felt rushed desu.

Nothing that has ever graced the big screen has had anything to do with the book, EVER

The tunes are top notch. I need the soundtrack to this and if the new movie sounds like this I'll be a lot more confident in the movie.

Jay, pls.

I would add that I didn't like the short's anti-sexbot stance. Feminists have beaten that drum incessantly recently, don't need for it to show up in anime too. In a way it's shocking that a romcom like Chobits is more nuanced than high concept western sci-fi.

No unicorn scene

I fucking hate people who spew their retarded politics over everything.

The politics were an intended part of the work to begin with. They are not getting "spewed over it," they are just getting unearthed.

The sound guys trying to fit in every single motif from the original ost into the first 5 minutes was pretty tiresome.

Why doesn't Sup Forums care for Watanabe anymore? Fucking plebs.

I didn't like it much, It felt like a rehashed animatrix with oppressed robots and such. I expected something more subtle from Watanabe Blade Runner, not explosions everywhere
Technically it was great though

Cygnus is not black. He's a robot. External appearance means nothing. People should not interject issues of race into this anime.

>I'm an idiot who never watched bladerunner or a cyberpunk movie before

Congrats Sup Forumsnon you just demonstrated to the world why you're a fucking idiot. watch blade runner, revel in what is perhaps the greatest Film noir/Cyberpunk movie of all time.

The whole anime short could have been a direct continuation of the original blade runner. Something the live action shorts didn't manage at all (the live action shorts really were missing 'it' as in missing the fucking point)

Nigger

Do you tards understand replicants in bladerunner are biological?

Triggered moron aside, thanks for making the thread OP. I hadn't heard anyone talking about this and would have missed it.

The replicants are androids like Data on Star Trek TNG.

They are biological dumbshit. Made from dna.

The replicants are androids.

A Replicant is a synthetic, biorobotic beings with para-physical capabilities and designed to resemble living, organic beings. It is a genetically engineered creature composed entirely of organic substance.

I don't quite understand why everyone's calling this an anime. It's visuals are quite different from what's considered "normal" anime, even for 90's anime standards.

If they were robots the voight-kampff test would be a magnet

More 90s anime.

Not necessarily. They could be constructed mainly of synthetic polymers like Ash in the movie Alien.

No underage user. Watch the original.

important question:

where can i watch it?
thanks in advance!

Read

Regardless the whole point is that they are physically indistinguishable enough that you need a psychological test to tell them apart.

They arent, for heavens sake its stated what they are. Polymers are PLASTIC and inorganic. Replicants are organic with genes.

The replicants are easy to verify. You just have to check the serial number engraved on their right eyeball.

You are agreeing with that guy that they're organic. You're disagreeing with the guy he's responding to.

Honestly I thought it was kinda boring. Kinda like bladerunner

>It is a genetically engineered creature composed entirely of organic substance.

My cell phone case and my water bottle are composed of organic substances. Replicants are robots made of plastic and rubber.

I'm agreeing with you mate, I'm saying replicants are indistinguishable enough from humans and thats why they use a psychological test rather than a physical one.

Yes autist user. You shouldnt entertain someones ignorance by saying regardless they are just wrong.

The reason they can only live for 4 years is to stop them from gaining emotions

>What do you guys think?
Didn't really move me at all. Didn't care for any of the character, didn't care what was happening. Didn't give me any new information to fill the gap for the new movie either really.

The artstyle was cool at times, but animation quality didn't really feel special or good.

I want to say all the problems are from it being a short film, but other standalone short films have actually had me in suspense or given me some other feelings, but not this. Guess it just wasn't good in my opinion.

Why does Blade Runner have a sequel? I thought it failed at the box office?

No shit.

Sup Forums is a fucking blight. Christ.

Waa por

Replicants don't have a race. All we know is some old Chinese dude designed their eyes and some old white dude designed their brain.

Because Hollywood is creatively completely bankrupt. They are incapable of coming up with new ideas. That's why everything is a remake, reboot or a sequel these days. Haven't you heard that they are desperate enough to remake 'Kimi no na wa' barely a year after the original has been released? The only surprising thing is that they didn't try to make another Blade Runner much sooner.

Is this a bait post

because Harrison Ford was that fucking cool back in the blade runner movie.

I was hoping the animu would steer closer to Dick's novel and involve Robo-Jesus' acid trip through the radioactive barren wasteland to ruminate on the nature of existence considering the suffering of a robot frog, but it looks like we're going the EXPLOSIONS michael bay route.

i consider bladerunner and electric sheep two completely series at this point

if you see the name bladerunner dont expect anything close to the books story

Hold on, is there gonna be more of this? Is it a series? OVA? One time thing?

Just a promo short for the new movie.

>black and white woman again
They can't help themselves can they

>I thought it failed at the box office?
it made half a billion dollars on VHS/DVD. It's also widely considered the greatest cyberpunk/film noir movie of all time. Heck, ghost in the shell is damned near half a direct rip of bladerunner, and of course the matrix being a rip of ghost in the shell is also half an homage to blade runner.

Blade runner is on every Scifi fan's top 10 list for a reason.