What went right?

What went right?

Left looks more tomboyish and plainer. Closer to her novel description saying she looks cute without makeup etc. Also closer to Haimura's art style at the time.

Right is where Yahari's character designer stepped in.

Right is so much more realistic.

Railgun is Misaka vision. Touma is manly, Misaka is cute. The world is full of hope and more saturated colors.
Index is Touma vision. Misaka is a nuisance. Touma is a highschooler. The world is bleak and rife with misfortune.

Railgun is the only good part of the index canon. Everything about Index is a mess except for Misaka and those around her.

Touma is infinitely superior as a side character.

Better character designer.

Is it possible to start Railgun without watching any Index?

Railgun is better than Index, including the novels. That's objectively a fact, really. And you're a filthy pleb if you disagree.

Right has no emotion in her face. Left is better.

obviously her rail gun got harder

>including the novels
You haven't read them.

Yes.
All you need to know about the city is introduced from Misaka's side, and Touma is such a milquetoast, bland, generic harem MC that all you have to know about him is that he has a special power that nullifies everything else. Picture One Punch Man but with less wit,excitement, and sense of irony about how awful he is as a plot device. He'll appear once or twice, and you can focus on the thing the series does best; cute girls doing cute things with their cute friends.

The funny thing is that the character designer for the raildex series has always been the same person started from Index. The new style only came in place because of the movie which they kept even for railgun S.

I read the good ones, Railgun is still superior and everything involving the magic side is dumb shounen garbage that was done better in other works with more interesting characters.

Objectively fact too, btw.

No, it's worth it to watch Index first to build proper appreciation for Touma.

I watched to episode 6 of Index. I felt good enough with what I got. Index's "memory problem" solved. The part where they're talking about discovering vampires or something really turned me off.
Moving on to Railgun

>Railgun is still superior and everything involving the magic side is dumb shounen garbage
Railgun is literally a shounen series.

CGDCT > Touma preaching

Railgun is a slice of life show with shounen elements sprinkled in.

No, it's an actual, unadulterated shounen. It's serialized in Dengeki Daioh.

Early-to-mid 00's was a period where an industry that had worked almost solely with cel animation for the last five decades had to learn how to animated digitally, in addition to the departure of old industry talent that was quickly aging. So you had a bunch of newcomers with no experience being unable to be mentored by industry vets that weren't able to use the new technology and thus unable to pass on experience and advanced technique to the new generation. This combined with a global economic downturn- the Dot-Com bubble and the War on Terror wreaked havoc on global markets, including a Japanense economy that still hadn't yet recovered from the housing market crash of the late 80's/early 90's- led to an industry that produced some of the lowest-quality animation of a professional, first-world industry.

While people lament the decline of cel animation, I honestly think, from an economic standpoint, it was as necessary as the adoption of predictive algorithms is going to be for cutting down costs.

That is to say, despite all of the doomsday talk and fear-mongering. The industry adapted to the circumstances, as it always has, and we're finally at the point where character animation in high-budget productions is largely consistent again.

The manga is. The anime downplays it imo

>it was as necessary as the adoption of predictive algorithms is going to be for cutting down costs.
Yeah where are the anime neural networks? I figure auto-shading, auto-lip sync and auto-post process should be easy. Maybe auto-inbetweens as well eventually. I guess the money just doesn't justify the research.

Agree, even the best moments in Index came with the storylines that were directly linked to Misaka.

When is directly drawing frames digitally going to become mainstream?

There are already companies investing in the first two, Ufotable off the top of my head. The last two are going to take some time to even be considered for adoption, as I can't see industry vets being okay with automated Q&A or shading.

is satin really a middle schooler?

I bet the industry is hoping that Disney never pursues those tech research trees.

I thought Disney gutted their 2D animation division?

If anything, they'd be concerned about China and Taiwan's now growing animation scene.

The creative capital of a nation is limited by the freedom of expression its citizens have.
China will never be a world power artistically.

It doesn't have to be, it's competition for a limited industry regardless. And while other countries have to play ball to air things in China's borders (it would be dumb to neglect a country that holds host to 1/6th of the world's population, China doesn't have to do the same internationally.

And what real competition in the 2D animation sphere does anime have in the west? Outside of some Netflix productions that have worth (one of which is based off of a Japanese property) you have what, evening and late night Cartoon Network? Maybe some other adult cartoon comedies on Comedy Central? Reboots of shows that completely fail to hold up to or capture the original wide audience? Western animation, if it does undergo something of a renaissance, won't be as much of an economic threat as Japan's hyper-competitive neighbors.

>It doesn't have to be, it's competition for a limited industry regardless.

What point are you attempting unsuccessfully to articulate here?

But he's right. Novels written like shit, even if you disregard bad translations as a reason (and I read both fan and YP variants).

So what you're saying is Mikoto's cuteness can't be rivaled?

>Maybe auto-inbetweens as well eventually
I think this should come first, since I remember that automated in-betweens were a thing long ago for some animation and video software.

Yes, Disney barely makes any hand-drawn animation. They still have the studio in Burbank that opened a hundred years ago, but it's 3d (think Frozen).

Pity, the vintage films created by Walt were totally OP

I've always been curious about this, is the next season actually gonna come out or would I be wasting my time if I got into this?

We'll know for sure in two days.

Railshitters need to be hanged.
Railgun is moe pandering garbage.
Worse than Zero secondaries.

>guh durr durr durr i love magic and i love retarded shounen plots
Index was made before everyone realized how hilariously retarded the male shounen MC is. Touma is a non-character who was made without the thick veneer of irony that someone like Saitama was made with, no, instead he's Saitama played completely straight. Saitama was made to make fun of characters like Touma.
Yet, there are still people that will defend Index. It's baffling, really. Index might have been good a long time ago when the WW3 arc was still a new thing, but that time has passed and it's not held up. All of the mystery has dissolved and been replaced with power creep.

Then you go over to Railgun and the science rules are set in stone, it involves stories and plots that are relevant to the characters, and has far better interaction for having a smaller cast who is more fun and entertaining. I can't believe people actually like Index anymore when they can have Railgun.

Indexshitters need to be skinned alive
Index is shounen pandering garbage
Worse than Kemono faggots

I don't know if I like the design more as a whole, but they seemed more comfortable with making it better quality at least. Just the hair detail difference alone.

>and the science rules are set in stone
What rules? AC tech runs on arbitrary technobabble that works however it wants to work. Espers are just vaguely handwaved with Schrodinger, and neither AIM nor Personal Realities are especially defined.

>Then you go over to Railgun and the science rules are set in stone, it involves stories and plots that are relevant to the characters, and has far better interaction for having a smaller cast who is more fun and entertaining. I can't believe people actually like Index anymore when they can have Railgun.
Yeah a bunch of moeblobs fucking around is so much better.
Index may of declined in these last few years but was still good and miles ahead of anything that Railgun's boring filler plots had.
It's just a cash in. Admit it.

And railshit is yurifag pandering garbage

In Railgun, Misaka actually meets Touma and is clearly attracted to him.

Frankly, Railgun doesn't really have much yuribait that didn't already exist in Index in the first place. The biggest things I can think of are Kuroko and New Light, both of whom are introduced in Index first.

That leaves, what, Saten's skirt flipping? That's fucking tame.

Railshitters don't even know their character's name.

The english dub of Index is good

Yuri is super heterosexual anyway, why does anyone dislike it?
It's not like the girls can spoil each other. Kuroko can play under Saten's skirt all day and it won't make her any less pure.

>Yuri is super heterosexual anyway

kuroko is the sexiest girl

There's no point in arguing with cancerous secondaries that refuse to read the LN, much less than watch the main series.

I love that show, S2 when?

Chinese animation will never be a significant threat to anime because Chinese is the single most hideous language on the planet to listen to.

Never. Nobody bought or watched HO because Dengeki announced it in the worst possible way.

Kuroko is just a shade too young-looking. She has an aesthetically ~14 year old body while Misaka looks closer to 16.

Misaka has the perfect body which is perched on the razor's edge between girl and woman. Kuroko is firmly a girl.

Basically, this. The only half decent thing exclusive to Index is Linkin Park Vegeta.
Also
>replaced with power creep.
Don't forget dude bemes lmao

>Yeah a bunch of moeblobs fucking around is so much better.
Isn't hard to believe considering how shit Index is.
>Index may of declined in these last few years but was still good and miles ahead of anything that Railgun's boring filler plots had.
Fuck no, Index is so dull that even nagaishit is more emotionally engaging.
>It's just a cash in.
The sole purpose of Index is to rip off culturally illiterate teenagers. The same applies to Railgun, of course, but it just does its job in a more entertaining way.

Sister's Noise went right

it's okay

Linkin Park Vegeta?

Accelerator.

I love Kuroko!

>Kay-or-ee kanzaki

JC Staff "art" being consistent as fuck.

JC Staff started doing 960p before most studios did.

I prefer the thiccer eyebrows.

I like left a lot better

Where did her nose ridge go?

Different, better staff worked on Railgun.

Why does anime animators often change the manga design? It happens a lot.

Because they have to draw a model sheet and generally follow that. The one doing the model sheet generally isn't the manga artist, so that can result in deliberate art style changes or simplification of the design in order to make it easier to animate.

my own sarachen

10/1 is the day the events of Index II ended and is the same day Index III gets announced. How meta can this get?

Wait, really?
How deep does the rabbit hole goes?

Protip user

They're both trash

Railgun staff was probably the same staff that worked on the Index movie minus the director who does Index. Since they only started going for the current style they were using for the Railgun S anime when they did the Index Movie.

Protip user
You have garbage taste

The titular character of Index ruins every character interaction she takes part of, how is anything about that good?

Railgun is just middle school girls trying to fight muh organization while the edgy kid figures out he has an imouto fetish

>The titular character of Index ruins every character interaction she takes part of
Mention one instance in which that happened.

>Railgun is just middle school girls trying to fight muh organization while the edgy kid figures out he has an imouto fetish
What the fuck are you talking about?

I don't remember Tsuchimikado in Railgun?

>i don't understand the word "every"
one would assume "every" would include at least one example no?

Index doesn't show up much anymore? Needs more Index.

>Railgun is just middle school girls trying to fight muh organization while the edgy kid figures out he has an imouto fetish

No idea what you are talking about.