Might be a weird thing to talk about but I always wondered why Japanese TV shows are so different from anime in the way...

Might be a weird thing to talk about but I always wondered why Japanese TV shows are so different from anime in the way it comes off, I haven't seen a whole lot but whenever I do watch, it's always drastically different just in narrative and how people talk compared to anime, I mean they're both Japanese right so you'd think they be a lot more similar, but a lot of the depth and naturalness I feel I get out of anime feels strangley gone in a lot of these TV shows/Movies.

I know thread is less anime then Sup Forums is probably use to but I thought thinking through the comparison was warranted enough, like to get a better understanding of how anime got to where it is by looking at it's live actin counterparts I guess, I dunno if you think it doesn't belong you don't have to post.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/C9jijpPlQXY
youtube.com/watch?v=nUE6RSEKxeg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You should make this thread on /jp/

For comparison I also watched a couple classic Japanese movies that I woudn't really bring into this because they play a lot more like a normal movie would, stuff by Kurosawa and the like, I'm talking more of the mainstream stuff, I watch this thing called Happily Ever After a couple years ago that suffers from a lot of the same problems, I like there's bad anime but a lot of it is still able to maintain that basic level of normalness (I dunno what you'd call it), like even if it's boring or whatever, live action though just feels weird and ackward, not just the actors, which are bad and I guess Japanese actors are kind of famous for being bad but the script to, it feels un-Japanese, which is ridicuous right? Of course it's Japanese, but compared to anime it doesn't to me, is it just being a foriegner i'm missing something, or do others feel the same?

Stuff like Blue Blazes didn't have it either so, just to mention, though that had a lot more influence from anime and I feel like it affected it a lot in terms of feeling less like a lot of other shows do and having it flow more like anime do

>depth and naturalness
Uh, no. No no no. Anime voice acting is extremely stilted and unnatural. I don't have a good handle on how Japanese live action is, but if you think that, you have been watching too much anime.

I coming from the experience of both cartoony shows and the more realistic ones, I know there's a difference between Pani Poni Dash and Aoi Bungaku, that's why I look at live action and don't really see anything that falls inbetween, it's just the outlier that I can't really comprehend

Because anime is a cartoon and Japanese TV is real life. Having a girl's face contort and scream "KAWAII" is acceptable in animation but would be cringeworthy in real life.

You could say- animation is a stylization of motion picture and anime voices and mannerisms are a stylization of real voices and mannerisms.

It's probably just tropes being perpetuated over and over to the point that each medium is distinct even with the same source material.

I watched Hero Yoshihiko too but again that was from the Blue Blazes guys I'm pretty sure, and being a comedy it had a much more precise idea of what it was and how to go on, so I dunno maybe it's just when they try to be serious that it kinda falls apart, watching Dad of Light is weird as hell watching the Son and Dad interact, like they have that in Oreimo right? The Son and Dad not really getting along, but it makes a lot more sense in that, the way they're awkward around each other and the way the Dad gets mad without showing much beyond a few words and Kyouske kinda just letting him have his way, at least till later when he confronts him, but it's all way more, understandable, compared to that I was surprised that the live action was so stainted with their interactions, to the point where I'd think the show is just bad, and it probably is, but even bad anime can manage making regular conversation feel normal, this just felt like it wasn't able to at all.

>aaano eeeeto desu ne
I'll take stilted and unnatural any day.

They're pretty much completely divergent genres at this point. They've each evolved in completely different, fundamental ways to each other over the years. Anime has a specific culture in Otaku and others that have shaped the way it looks, and I'm sure live action has its own specific set of fans and authors that have done the same to it.

Japanese TV shows and movies are mainstream entertainment. Anime is aimed to the mentally deficient (kids and otakus) so it has to be loud, colorful and without any subtetly

People watch J-Dramas for the histrionic performances and dramatic turns. Realistic depictions of everyday life and normal conversations are the exception rather than the rule.
Anime, being highly stylized, can get away with a more natural, SoL mood if it so chooses. Think about the way the first episode of Haruhi takes what would be a terrible student film but gives it visual interest.

That's also what seperates great filmmakers like Kurosawa from your average J-drama. Jidaigeki in particular are as tropey as Tokusatsu or Anime, and provide an entertaining background for otherwise ordinary dialogue.

Well put

>Anime is aimed to the mentally deficient

Shit acting. (They are not 'actors', but idols and celebs.)

Also

I always wonder about it too honestly though I dont know how to call it but they probably had chronic case of bad TV actors or their live action directors seems saturated with too much "acting".
I mean look at GTO live action, yes the fucking live action, I not referring to the plot or the overall direction, but just watch closely about how unnatural the people move in the series and how interacted with each other, it's cringe worthy.

Because they have to animate each frame individual frame, thus the writer has to compensate shit with everybody. I believe even the seiyuus have the capability to act or interact just like any normal person.

american cartoons are a lot different from american live action. This shouldn't be strange. Different mediums have completely different people working in them and different constraints. Direction, sound, and visuals are bound to be different just from the change of medium. The difference in culture from the lack of creative crossover is also going to play a huge factor.

>live-action is different to animation
WOOW, what a fucking surprise. Are you flabbergast that American cartoons are different to Hollywood films as well? You stupid fucking retard.

Congrats user, you're only the fourth person to mock OP for asking a question.

Shows how much a retard "he" is, OP.

Anime is fucking different from live action you goddamn idiot, of course they feel different, tonal differences. Also, a LOT of anime are utter crap, you're probably just used to it.

>same source material

what

Do people in this thread even know what they are talking about

You can get Anime feeling from this Japanese girl.

youtu.be/C9jijpPlQXY

yes it's particularly like this.

but OP, J-drama do a lot of exaggeration like anime do too, but it's mannerism is completely different from Anime. Anime is given the ability to stretches out the expression further and it has been a custom for so long that it's natural for us to think it is normal in anime. J-drama (especially romance, comedy and weekend dramas) reflect real life then one up that ordinary expression. You can say that it can be bad acting, but they are actually doing it on purpose. It's just a practice they are used to, they aren't even trying be hollywood. Just to let you know, this isn't exclusive to Japan but for the rest of Asia. Most Asian drama do care about acting good but they are just not into the whole "professionally good acting."

Now for "movie" side of acting, they do take them seriously BUT only to genre they are fond of. Period drama and tragedy dramas are where you can at least find more of acting for the sake of acting.

Probably because she's intentionally acting like a cartoon character

Now tell me was papa of light good? catbois are cancer btw.

Western cartoons don't sound like western live action films. I don't see what you're so confused about. There's probably a divide in every culture.

In addition, it's a pity that anime fags will never understand that only Period drama can get access to top tier OP like this. Music like these only exist in very few Asian dramas.
youtube.com/watch?v=nUE6RSEKxeg

I've heard that a lot of their actors are trained for stage and they just take that technique over to TV/movies, which is why it can seem over acted..

yes and that is normal there, that's why idol groups exist. Manufactured to be multi talented and get shipped into the entertainment industry. Some are successful enough to gain their own fame and charisma, while others remain underdog and toy for the wotas.
The guy who acted in GTO(new one) is a singer, he was hired and trained to gain popularity, and it was a fast work of training.

Because anime is a degenerate subculture aimed at children and man children. Tv however is mainstream and aimed at the general populace.

You kind of screwed yourself here user. You learned about how Japanese sounds from a cultural niche that is anime. Just like how you wouldn't expect everyone in America to sound like characters from South Park you shouldn't expect japanese shows to sound like anime.

No idea about the girls, but there are definitely less male idols who cross over into dramas and get leading roles than there used to be.

There was a video of a seiyuu going out and doing shopping and acting like an anime character

Shit was cringy as fuck.

>video of a seiyuu going out and doing shopping and acting like an anime character
Link?

I was going to write a long post about this, but summed up what I was going to say pretty nicely.
There's just a different narrative and a different way of directing both visual mediums. People in serious TV shows don't sound like they're voicing puppets in puppet shows, who would've known!

It's not because it's overacted. It's badly overacted. Overacting can be great if a skilful actor does it. If you can't pull it off - don't. Watching Japanese live action/drama gives me second-hand embarrassment. Shit is painful to watch.

Maybe the direction has part of the blame, since Takashi Miike's movies feature very natural acting while a lot of more serious JP movies feel like they're trying to perform kabuki without performing any kabuki.

But bringing up Takashi Miike is cheating. His adaptations of Ace Attorney and Kamisama no Iutoori feel more like anime than many anime.