Engrish titles and anime

>Made in Abyss
>Knight's and Magic
>Attack on Titan
>Death Note
Using shitty Engrish for your titles in Japan is one thing, but why don't they fix the titles when they bring it to the Anglosphere where people actually speak the language and can fix them in about two seconds?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Abyss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Usually the Japanese side insist on it, they really don't like gajins making changes to their product or being told what to do by gaijins.

>>Death Note
What the fuck is Engrish-y about this?

What's wrong with MiA and DN?

>Made in Abyss
>Death Note
>Engrish

So I guess any "Made in USA" tag and any sentence that uses death as an adjective, like death sentence, is engrish

>correcting the superior nip titles in any way
might as well be saying you support "localization" over a faithful translation

>why don't they fix the titles
Why the fuck would anyone want that?
Also

>Clannad
named after a band thinking it meant something about "clan"

Made in Abyss is Engrish, the correct title would be "Made in the Abyss".

Death Note is also Engrish, the proper title would be Death Notebook.

Stein's Gate

Made in USA is wrong, it should really be Made in the USA.

But Stein's;Gate doesn't mean anything user. It's not engrish because it just doesn't have a meaning.

Chaos Head

The Serial Experiments of Lain

maybe the twist is that there's several abysses and not just one "the abyss"

>Death Note is also Engrish, the proper title would be Death Notebook.
It's a made-up chuuni phrase, user. An English-speaker could just have easily named the notebook "Death Note." There's nothing incorrect about it.

Spice and the Wolf

>made-up chuuni phrase,
This is the answer. Just like non-Japanese speakers think that something like "Hiken Tsubame Gaeshi" sounds cool shit, it works the way around. For that same reason people tattoo the kanji for boiled butter without understanding its meaning because it looks cool.

Encouragement to Climb?

It's not just chuuni, ノート (Nooto) is Japanese for "notebook", it's a garbled loanword from the English word "notebook". Hence "デス・ノート" means "Death Notebook". Translating it as "Note" instead of "Notebook" is like translating "マンション" as "mansion" rather than "apartment", it's missing the actual meaning

Right but wouldn't nay note written in said note book be a death note?

Abyss is a proper noun in this case.

I think titties shouldn't be translated, that's why most of them are kept in romaji. But loan words look stupid when they're in Engrish so they revert them to English rather going full weeb and using something like "Desu Noto".

Wait, so it's not English/Engrish, then, it's just Japanese.

It's both, the Japanese covers have "DEATH NOTE" written on them in Engrish and in the manga the Death Note itself has "Death Note" written on it in Engrish.

No, because "note" is not Japanese. "nōto" can't be written as "note".

Should we fix Shakespeare while we're at it? His shit is probably further from Modern English than some of those titles.

>why don't they fix the titles when they bring it to the Anglosphere where people actually speak the language and can fix them in about two seconds?

Been wondering about that myself.
Like Attack on Titan should be "Attack on a Titan." But fuck's sake, the Japanese title is "Advancing Giants."

Let's also go another way. Why is it when anime like Chuunibyou can't seem to find a licensor that will translate the title, but instead (like Sentai Filmworks aka AD Vision) will completely fuck it up and just make up something because their translators suck...

Like Houseki no Kuni - Land of Gemstones, but for fuck's sake, it's being called "Land of the Lustrous" which isn't even 2 cents to being right.

It's retarded dyslexic translations that fucking piss me off.

He uses old words, but I'm fairly certain it's still correct grammar.

>Made in Abyss
"Abyss" is also a pronoun in that universe. It's THE abyss. Sounds a bit strange but technically correct.

I don't see anything wrong with just tossing a title out and replacing it with a new one for the TL if the original one would be awkard or funny-sounding.

Chuunibyou is a great example because it's a japanese word that will sound like nonsense gibberish to a large portion of your English audience (though not to Sup Forums weebs at least). And you can't just translate it to "middle school disease" or "8th grader disease", because then it would sound like shit and STILL not make sense to English speaking nonweebs.

>I don't see anything wrong with just tossing a title out and replacing it with a new one for the TL if the original one would be awkard or funny-sounding.
They did this with Youjo Senki -> Saga of Tanya the Evil, because "Little Girl Battle Chronicle" just sounds ludicrous.

Sure if you give him poetic license and/or account for the changes in English grammar over the past 400 years.

Speaking of translating titles, if I hear one more nigger insist that 四月は君の嘘 means "April is your lie", consequences will never be the same.

Holy shit your language is stupid. Why would anyone use articles that can fucking SPOIL you the plot?
ёбаные пиндосы земля пухом

How does that article spoil anything?

what's a пиндосы

Not true. You certainly see notebooks with "NOTE" written on them, clearly intended as the Japanese term rather than a misplaced English word.
In other words: loanwords are sometimes written with the original spelling.

"Made in THE abyss" and "made in AN abyss"
Russian slur for Americans

Ok, I'll take it back, English title actually is less spoily than the Russian one
>Созданный в Бездне
why god why

The/An isn't a spoiler though
at least there was nothing related to that in the anime. maybe a secret second abyss is revealed in the non-adapted manga volumes

Fate/Stay Night

>Knights and Magic
That's not engrish at all
The show has knights, and magic.
That's pretty accurate.

Op said Knight's, not Knights

"The abyss" doesn't necessarily refer to a particular one-of-a-kind place, despite the definite article. Just means somewhere deep.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Abyss
Despite they all go to an abyss, the titles still have "the abyss" at all times.

Anyway, I don't even see the spoiler.