Urasawa's Monster

>DUDE NIHILISM LMAO

Ok now, seriously. I read this manga some time ago, and thought it was very good. With time it faded away. Can't recall any particular moments or philosophical importance.

Can we discuss it?

good ride, bad ending

a bit disappointing

Didn't really focus on the ''philosiphical'' aspect of Monster, I was more fascinated by Johan's strange charisma, Dr Tenma's adventures, the average plot and the sweet sensation of suspence that made every episode incredibly interesting.

But yeah, if it's about philosophy, maybe take a look at Kinderheim 511. Is it evil to force kids to become sociopaths ? To what extent can you mold your identity ? Are there some lives that are worth more than others ? What can you do and not do in the name of science ?

I never got the ending.

Johan simply disappeared? He never existed? What is it?

I don't really get that >nihilism lmao
Who was nihilist? The villain, maybe? Tenma definitely wasn't

He escaped. Johan did exist, many people referenced him.

>What can you do and not do in the name of science ?
I always drew the line at putting a gimp suit on someone, locking them inside a barrel, and filling the barrel with breathable liquid.

Joahn

Holy shit dude that's horrifying

Urasawa simply can't do proper endings

It's science. The good of mankind and all that.

That sounds kinda hot

Asuka plz.

Quit whining and get in the fucking robot

Nihilism is one of the show's main themes
However retardedly saying DUDE LMAO like could be applied to any well written show

Try to reach perfection and you end up with a monster
There are so many themes and messages displayed in Monster I'm too lazy to point out
Just watch it 3 times and you'll understand how large it targets

Now I realise I don't even remember anything about the ending. Feels like the story was derailed and I didn't even care.

I wonder if Johan would become less fucked up if he didn't go to Kinderheim 511...

He died metaphorically

If you can't see even the most basic philosophies this story is setting in front of you then you have some serious comprehension issues.

So why do people yank him to high heaven?

A bad ending can sour the overall experience. And Monster's plot wasn't the mind blowing experience people think it is. Not to say it's bad, but come on.

fpbp. The ride was great but the payoff lackluster. I also found that the author did a really shitty job of showcasing Johan's change in desires halfway through the series from his original goal to destroying himself after recovering his memories.

Still absolutely worth a read though, amazing characters, setting, and backdrop. Breddy gud artwork as well.

I don't know. I had trouble even with 20th century boys ending

Pluto's ending was great though, same with Yawara.

Did you even read it? Johan was fucked even before Kinderheim

Of course he was, but with that i meant that maybe that made thing only worse because he went through personality altering experiments.

Billy Bat's ending was one of the shittiest bullshit I've ever seen but ot doesn't change the fact that the ride was entertaining and sometimes outright amazing.

It's Urasawa's worst work, which is to say, it's still a phenomenal series.

20th Century Boys is a masterpiece. Read that.

Already read it. The ending was even worse than that of Monster

O-Otccho?

I have heard that.

Goddamn it, Urasawa.

How hard it is for a half decent ending?