ON THIS DAY IN 1983 SDF MACROSS PREMIERED ON TV IN JAPAN

ON THIS DAY IN 1983 SDF MACROSS PREMIERED ON TV IN JAPAN

Where did the franchise go so wrong Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QOGhUXDiJbo
youtube.com/watch?v=UQ6wA8H4Fh4
youtube.com/watch?v=wckZcVFLU24
youtube.com/watch?v=32sNnqNt3Z4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Where did the franchise go so wrong Sup Forums?
DYRL made it clear that writing was no longer a priority.

Probably Macross 7 fucked up things, it was shitty but still amazing at the same time, yet actually very shitty

Frontier was fun show but kinda meh as Macross series, Delta was not even fun show, even OST sucked balls

SDF made it clear that writing was never a priority.

When Kawamori was allowed to take over

too bad it's all dead now.
kawamori you stupid fuck.

Such an important show HAPPY BIRTHDAY

i'm just starting 7, is it really as bad as people say?

Delta, everything else was at leas watchable.

The pacing is godawful and MC is beyond autistic. Mylene is a cunt.
At least Gamlin is okay.

It's really boring.

Before Delta it was the worst Macross series. Delta makes Macros 7 look like the original Macross though in comparison.

But SDF was shit.
Shit pacing, the worst characters I've ever seen, laughable animation.

>laughable animation

Do I really need to post the knife fight?

>Where did the franchise go so wrong Sup Forums?

Laughable consistency of animation, at least.

It had great moments and bad moments in it's animation. Overall it was acceptable. The more modern Macross series have those moments too or do I need to remind you of Frontier episode 8?

Meh, most of the show is fine, some shots look better than most post 90s anime and some shots look like garbage.

Also, I'm pretty sure Macross aired in 82, not 83. 83 was when Orguss came out.

It was always "wrong". From the onset the enemies in Macross have always been giant human-like aliens who travel the galaxy exterminating planets whose weakness is music. SDF had promise at first but the moment it started revolving around Munmei's singing as a weapon signaled the downfall of the series, Macross has always been idolshit, the newer installments are just more modern versions of it. Macross 7 was the best by virtue of it going full madman with its premise of rock/metal defeating the forces of evil, it's the closest we'll probably get to a Tenacious D space opera which is a shame, especially considering that out of all the Macrosses it had by far the best music. Of course that's not to say that Macross 7 didn't have its flaws, you could cut out half of the episodes and really not miss out on anything. Posting best song btw
youtube.com/watch?v=QOGhUXDiJbo
Besides that the only other things Macross ever really excelled at was animation and backgrounds in DYRL, and letting the best girl instead of the first girl shown win in the originals.
Back to Macross 7 though imagine how much more kickass it could've been if they got a band like Anthem, X Japan or Bow Wow to do the soundtrack.

>82, not 83
Oh you're right, I messed up the OP.

What is most anime until the mid 80's

>Macross has always been idolshit
True, but at least they tried to steer clear of following the latest trend in idolshit. That is until Delta when they happily jumped on board the idol group train. Doing this caused the biggest train wreck in Macross history. There was NOTHING redeemable about Delta at all. Macross 7 at least TRIED to do some thing different and unique. Yes it ended up blowing up in their faces but at least they tried to set it apart.

That doesn't excuse anything.

Frontier was inexcusable.

"Interviewer: So we're planning a page for fans who don't know you (Itano) or the original Macross.

Itano: Macross Ace (the magazine this is in) is a damned bishoujo character magazine isn't it? I call it "retarded", though. Retarded character moe magazine. I think Macross (the original) was popular because of its balance, 1/3 each of cute girls, robots, and songs. But now they say mecha won't sell, robots won't sell, so they turn it into a character-based anime AND they want the fujoshi. I hate the stench of that sort of thing and so actually don't want to be in any magazine articles related to that bullshit, but I said I'd cooperate if they let me badmouth shit and here I am.

Interviewer: I... see... (tears)

Itano: I DID watch all of Macross F. It's not fair to badmouth something without seeing it (chuckle).
So, like, there's one bit where a sniper in space mounts himself on an asteroid, right? But by doing so half his field of vision is gone. And asteroids aren't stationary so his aim is going to be really unstable. And then they use sniper rifles at point blank range? I notice this sort of stuff, you know.
It's well-drawn for a TV show and they were trying, but the relationships were half-assed and the heart of the drama is way too messy. Last time we had Minmei become a human failure, but this time it was the main character (laugh). People who like this rubbish have a totally different sense from me, so I'd really be happier if they didn't know who I was at all (laugh)."

Cherry-picking the few decent shots could kind of get you somewhere in an age of one-cour anime today but we both know the show looks nothing like this for most of the 36 or so episodes.

They literally re-aired an episode with a public apology attached because it had been that horrible.

>There was NOTHING redeemable about Delta at all.
I'd say this about Frontier as well, it didn't do the idol group like Delta did but the songs themselves were pretty typical for the time, besides that the portrayal of idols in anime was different back when Frontier came out. If Frontier Idolmaster and Love Live existed when Frontier did I guarantee you it would've been just like Delta.

It's my favourite Macross. It has some obvious faults, but it's fun nonetheless.

Frontier was still better than Delta. Frontier had some of the best and most memorable songs in the franchise while I don't remember any of the songs from Delta. Though that may be because i gave up on the series at episode 10.

I liked dyrl

It was fine, I guess.

Of all the episodes to make the flash back budget savior why did they pick the ugliest episode?

>
>i'm just starting 7, is it really as bad as people say?
It's actually the best macross.

I have to admit that the only things that I remember about this show are SHAO PAI LONG and ZERO G LOVE.
That and Hikaru telling Minmei that she won't be lonely because she has her songs.

Ep 3-22 or so could have been compressed into half the number of eps, so there's that. But on the whole it's one of the better macross after the original. It does have the best soundtrack.

>LISTEN TO MY SONG!

The speaker bazooka.

(the show got better)

I quite enjoyed Robotech

Yea that was the main issue with 7 it was around 20 eps to long.

Well I'd say 10-12 ep.
It's a real hurdle to tell people to stick with the show through those crappy eps. They each got about 5 min of worth while info that you can't really skip over sprinkled through the ep. Thankfully the last half of the show made it worth while.

Frontier actually had a coherent story. Delta left at least half the plot completely unresolved.

It's even more funny when you realise the show is up there in the running as far as Macross shows are concerned because once they get through the bad, people are up for some 42 episodes of a great show.
In modern terms, 3 shows plus a bunch of sweet OVAs on top.

It's an amazing no-brainer with an extremely unnecessarily high barrier of entry.

misa a best girl

The only thing I really laughed at was seeing the camera in a number of frames.

holy shit
that scene was also really funny because Hikaru just starts yelling "COLA" out of nowhere.

It always make me laugh how all these brainlets and retards complain about idols in Macross. It's also the easiest way to spot newfags who watched their first Macross only after 2013.

Retards hate idols nowadays only because of the popularity of Love Live and abundance of idol shows. When Frontier was airing idols were still obscure in anime. I remember some people were complaining about "highschool setting", about fanservice and even pandering to lolifags (Klan Klan). But no one complained about idols. Because everyone knew that music was big part of Macross. And if you said that SDF was shit because of idols you would be laughed and then saged to oblivion. Besides Macross' idols are nothing like pure, innocent and completely retarded idols of LL and similar shitty shows.

Just kill yourself, faggots. Even despite Delta's failure Macross will still remain in top 5 most iconic mecha anime franchises. Even Delta wasn't that bad for the first half and maybe upcoming movie will fix some loose ends.

Why do so many mecha shows premier in October?

Are you fucking kidding me? SDF was a masterpiece up until episode 27.

youtube.com/watch?v=UQ6wA8H4Fh4

I love SDF and Plus so bad.

I think if they had more song variety in the beginning it would be better. I kind of liked watching them slowly work their way up as a band. The problem is that they introduced their villains way too early for that kind of slow start to work so a lot of it felt like filler.

I'll fight you faggot, time and place.

wow

say what you will about DYRL but the ending sequence (mainly the song imo) is a masterpiece

youtube.com/watch?v=wckZcVFLU24

What would a date with Misa be like?

Not as good as OP's pic, the entire episode was Macross at it's absolute peak.

a lot right in this post. I know the majority on here wasn't born yet when 7 was airing but 7 was extremely popular at the time in Japan and really set the stage for where we are now with the franchise. The problem as stated is there is no balance to the series due to current popularity trends. Delta was absolute trash and went no where. the only exceptions was a few good songs and Ranka.

Macross II was the best Macross aside from the original. Also, they should've just followed Misa on the colony ship and make direct sequels.

Why do people hate the epilogue so much? For a show like Macross showing what the world is like after finding peace is actually pretty fitting. I remember reading that it wasn't originally planned and it shows but I'm still fond of it.

Fake interview

>Last time we had Minmei become a human failure, but this time it was the main character (laugh)
Kek.

My brother.

I don't have a waifu because I'm not retarded but if I had one Misa would probably be the one.
No one is complaining about idols. The shows after SDF are simply shit.

When will we get a good macross again?

As much as I hate to say it, the song they had in there for Robotech, "We can Win" was so much better.

youtube.com/watch?v=32sNnqNt3Z4

Macross plus and DYRL is after SDF, what are you talking about?

When they remake the original.

A walk in the park, with an heartwarming conversation and a sweet pic-nic that she prepared with love and cuddling on the towel after lunch.

;_;

It's real. It was reposted on Sup Forums and /m/ like million times already.
But everyone knows that Itano is failure himself. He might be a good animator and have nice designs, but he shouldn't talk about story and characters when the works he directed/wrote are pure fucking shit.

Because it was made only to make money, the story already ended at episode 27, it's so blatant and obvious, how the fuck did you miss it? The last episodes disregard everything that happened before.
Never.
I'll pretend I haven't read your post.
>shows
Yeah, those are good.

The original Macross ends in a fucking 9 episode character story.

>The last episodes disregard everything that happened before
There's a lot of critique I can understand but this is just retarded.

>The last episodes disregard everything that happened before.

How?

Looks like Angel Cop went over your head

It's true though, they disregard the choice Ichijou made to prolongue the love triangle bullshit.

i didnĀ“t see a choice from Ichijou he just went to save Misa, not went to marry her. If you say he got over Minmay then maybe, he just confessed on that EP.

Nigga you dumb.

>Back when "Macross" was first put in production, the anime was originally going to end with a total of 23 episodes, but due to popularity, it was expanded to end with a total of 36 episodes

>When Macross debuted on 3 October 1982 (with only three episodes made so far) its stunning success among Japanese television audiences convinced Big West to approve an extension to 36 episodes, allowing the staff to end with the "two years after" story arc

The last 9 episodes are shit.

No one ever disputed this fact, you retarded mongoloid. But
>The last episodes disregard everything that happened before.
is obvious bullshit.

People should have stopped responding to you after
>I don't have a waifu because I'm not retarded but if I had one Misa would probably be the one.
which just screams "look how cool I am by watching mature cartoons for mature people like me". Fuck off, retard.

The last 9 episodes are a pleb filter. The Christmas episode is one of the best

You know this entire post chain started with me saying that the episodes weren't planned and it showed but despite that I still thought they were good. I'm not sure what point you think you're making.

>"We can Win" was so much better.
Only nostalgia fags think this.

>Where did it go so wrong?
FIIIIRRE BOMBAAAA!

well it was my first ever anime so.... still doesn't change the fact that it was a better song. Now the one they used the Movie "Do yuo remember Love" was the best.

No everyone embraces stupidity like you, you know.

When I started watching episode 28 I was mad because it seemed like they disregarded everything that happened just before and I didn't even know about this stuff at the time.

Ichijou made his choice, he dumped Minmay, if you deny episode 27 is a romantic ending with a happy couple you're as dumb as a brick.
Exactly, only chimps who enjoy south american telenovelas can enjoy that.
That they're an insult to the previous development.

>doesn't even know what pleb filter means

>doesn't understand irony

Jesus christ, user.

>implying irony translates over the internet

>exactly

It's Hikaru. No one ever calls him Ichijou (especially on /m/ where this can lead to confusion with Kamen Raider character). The whole 27 episodes they show him as indecisive faggot. While they indeed did a little bit of backpedaling in episode 28 it never felt unnatural in context of Hikaru's personality.

Where the fuck is irony in that post?
You are being called out by several anons. It's time to stop posting and get the fuck out. You're probably new to anonymous imageboards, but people don't have names here. If you go away, no one will ever know how you embarrassed yourself. There is no need to continue replying, retard.

but on the contrary no one will know he embarassed himself anyway since he didnt post with a trip

Forget thisAnd learn to use a tripcode, it really would fit you here

>Where the fuck is irony in that post?
It's like rain on your wedding day, user.

At the beginning of Delta I loved everything about it but the idols. By the end I hated everything about it but the idols.

yeah is very clear you need to like idols to enjoy Delta, i around the 13 ep where the wind planet shits are invading the other planets full force and could not bring myself to watch more.

Fuck off, you stupid /m/ autist.

Where's the irony? Here They wrote the story up until episode 27 and then they added the other 9 episodes that they wrote on a napkin when they were eating ramen and got told by the producers they wanted other material.

Ichijou (fuck you, autist) clearly dumped Minmey and chose Misa in episode 27, you gotta be a special kind of mentally impaired retard to not undertstand all this obvious relationship dynamics.

You don't need to use a tripcode be as stupid as a tripfag, you should know.

It's my fault, really, you can't expect fans of what's become a show aimed at mentally challenged people to understand something like good and bad writing.

You don't understand. Delta made me like idols.

I'm disgusted by the idol industry and I still liked the idols in Delta.

Macross made me a seiyuufag. Only for the Macross seiyuus though, since there's something fairy-tail-ish about them.

Disregarding all your AD Hominem shit, your whole argument about the writing is based on Hikaru being dump by Minmay? (yeah it was minmay the one who told him no, and she had no idea and that shit just showing how idiot was Hikaru)? i know, nigga your waifu was about to eat shit on the last part of the story.

>Where's the irony? Here
Seriously, just google what pleb filter means.

>Ichijou (fuck you, autist) clearly dumped Minmey and chose Misa in episode 27
Did you watch 26 episodes before that? How many people need to tell you that you're retarded before you understand you're retarded?

>still liked the idols in Delta
then something is VERY wrong with you. Go see a psychiatric doctor as soon as possible.

>I'm gonna do it but when someone else is gonna do it I'm gonna call him out and hope no one realizes what just happened
After 3 replies you still don't understand what the fuck we're talking about. Congratulations.
I know very well what the fuck you meant, that's why I said I was ironic when I replied with "exactly" when you said the last episodes are a pleb filter. How does it feel to be this dumb?

There will be an event in few days dedicated to Delta movie. Most likely they will reveal cast and general plot outlines. The fact they didn't reveal anything about the movie and made a special event (with convert) for this announcement makes me believe it won't be a simple recap. Usually if any anime movie is a TV recap it's revealed right from the start because it's pointless to keep generating hype for it. So maybe it will be a completely updated story trying to fix the flaws of TV show.

Actually I hope it will be a completely separate story similar to M7 OVA/movie. They fucked up hard in TV, but is there any point in trying to fix it? You have few nice characters, you have unused battroid dances, you have good singers, you can simply forget about windermerians and their retarded conflict and write a new and actually fun story.