>character says "ryokai"
>translation: "roger"

RUB A DUB DUB THANKS FOR THE GRUB

>character says "urashima taro"
>translation: "rip van winkle"

Why?

>character says "kawaii"
>translation: "hella cute"

Who wrote the stylebook on translation? Anyone interested enough in anime should be familiar with the honorifics, its literally the most basic aspect of jap culture.

>character says "yokai"
>translation: "yokai" "TL NOTE YOKAI MEANS JAPANESE GHOST SPIRIT YOU BAKA GAIJINS"

>Character says "Itadakimasu~"
>Translation: "Rubba-dub-dub thanks for the grub"

>yokai=monster
>kaiju=beast

What would be the correct translation? Djinn or Genie? Spirit monster? Devil? Poltergeist? Demon?

I would go with spirit

>character says "keikaku doori"
>translation: "plan road"

Why translate it at all when it's a clear distinct thing?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokai

>Poltergeist?

Look, you are using the fucking German word for it, since English doesn't have its own word for that.
Why not simply use the Japanese word for yokai? You are doing it with emoji as well.

>ogre
That's not a thing.

If it's a Shinto-heavy or Japanese mythology-heavy story, leave it "youkai", there will be probably more mythological beings so choosing to localize would put you in a tough situation.

If it's, for example, an urban fantasy and monsters are called youkai, the translator should use his discretion after seeing what they look like, if they look ethereal, call them phantoms or ghosts and if they look visceral or corporal call them monsters or demons.

I was just poking fun by noting amusing similarities between cultures and nations, of course it should be kept as its own thing but what is the difference between a genie and a yokai? descriptively they are about the same, although with different religious connotations, of course.

>That's not a thing.
Yes it is you dumbass. Why are you posting on Sup Forums when you've seen less than 100 anime?

Well it's like a typhoon and a cyclone. Pretty fucking similar things but it's all regional.

Just keep it as Yokai

No, it's not. And I'm pretty sure I've seen at least quadruple the amount of anime you seen. I also TLC'd some. Demons or ghost are the go-to translation when you want localize, Ogre can only be used if they look exactly like the Western Ogres and it would be at the translator's discretion, a bit liberal though.

>character says: "oni" with "jötunn" transposed
>translation: "ogre"

>character says: "owari da!"
>translation: "It's ogre!" with green letters and dark green borders

>character says: "kyojin"
>translation: "eoten"
How can this shit happen?

>character says: "Oingo Boingo"
>translation: "Zenyatta Mondatta"

>character says "yokai"
>translation: "demon"

Best translation would be "fairy" but people immediately think of Tinkerbell these days instead of the Fair Folk, the Western equivalent of Yokai and a catch all bin for all sentient non-humans.

>tengu
>goblin

It's not like most jap stuff don't have the same take on fairies as the west.

>Character says "goblin"
>translation:"oni"

>not "Through the Dark Lord, Amen"

>character says elf
>translation: onahole

>tfw best girl lost

I know. Megumi deserves so much better.

>set up as part of the harem
>we barely see her again
>completely throw out the sagiri getting to school arc and basically forget she's a """""""hikki""""""

im still mad even if she wasn't best girl but very, very close

>slighting the only good translation
pastebin.com/7ieHykVh

>Killer Queen
>Deadly Queen

>character says: "ramen"
>translation: "hamburger"

>character yells "UMI!"
>translation: "GOD DAMN LOOKIT DAT SWEET ASS BEACH, SUGARTITS!"

You are such a stupid idiot it's funny.

>>character says "ikemen"
>>translation: "Chad"

>character says "wizard"
>translation: hobgoblin/flying oni

I'm not reading that. The official translation is Titan, that's the only end to the story this needs.
But if you really need more, titan fits far better into a sentence than eoten, because it's actually part of the english vocabulary. I don't care how much you argue for eoten's definition fitting better than titan's, the fact is that an old norse loan word will never be a better translation than a word which is regularly used in english today. Especially if it's going against the official translation.

What are you an anime erudite?

This one is the worst offender, damn you Jojo's translators...

>Best translation would be "fairy"
that's bad translation because fairy is 妖精

After Pacific Rim even normies know what a kaiju is, there's absolutely no reason to translate it anymore.

What are you trying to prove with this?

I don't think anyone *has* written a stylebook on anime translation.

Maybe we should make one.

And you're a shitposting faggot who talks about things he knows nothing about.

Meaning is more important. "Monster" is too general and "demon" has religious and moral implications when translated into English; a demon is a fallen angel. A "fairy" is morally neutral and fits far better with what the yokai in Inuyasha, Touhou, and Yu Yu Hakusho actually do.

Fairies used to have more of that connotation (see, "A Midsummer Night's Dream") in English, but today a lot of people think of fairies only as morally good, which presents a problem.

Fairies used to have the connotation of running of running the moral gauntlet, much as yokai in anime. Seelie Court good, or at least mischievous tricksters at worst, Unseelie Court bad.

>used to
That's the key word here.

More like a casual trying to fit in.

Yes, it's a shame. There's a perfect cultural translation that used to exist but now it doesn't. Now fairy just means "Tinkerbell."

>translators shouldn't translate

No matter what you do, there are going to be words that don't have a good translation. They simply reference a concept that exists in only one of the cultures the language is bound to. English is great at accepting loanwords, so when working with a complex, exocultural concept, it's sometimes better to just leave the term in as one, and leave it to the viewers to either already know what you mean, or take the time to look it up on this wonderful thing we call the internet.

For the longest time I thought it was "dyokai" and I still hear it like that even though I know the truth now.

>character says "keikaku"
>translation: "keikaku"

>character says "yo"
>translation: "hey"

All according to keikaku

Sounds fine.

Yet whoever did the subs of Concrete Revolutio translated
It triggered me

Youkai, not yokai.

It's yōkai

>Character says "This would go well with more sugar"
>Translation: "This could really use some salt"

HOW?

ō=ou

>translators shouldn't localize
ftfy

>i refuse to read your argument
>but this is why its wrong

Majin

>your argument
I don't believe for a second that you wrote that. If you want to argue ITT, then do so, don't link to some off-site bullshit to make the argument for you.

It can also be oo.

"ou" far better represents the ō sound than oo. When ō is transcribed as oo, I always hear people mispronounce it as a long o, which isn't entirely their fault at that point.

>character says "hai"
>"no"

>character says "Ame-no-Habakiri"
>translated as "Heavenrend"