Is there any argument in favor of the North in the Civil War other than "might makes right"?

Is there any argument in favor of the North in the Civil War other than "might makes right"?

>muh slavery
The Union Army fought against John Brown only six months before the war, so it's enormously hypocritical for them to blame the South for slavery.
>muh Union
What's wrong with dividing the Union? Canada and the USA are two separate countries, so why can't North and South be two separate countries?
>muh treason
Since when is wanting to be left alone treason? Horace Greeley didn't think it was treason when he said, "Erring sisters, go in peace."
>the South is stupid/fat/drunk/ etc.
So why not let us leave? If you hate us so much, you should be happy to see us go.

Other urls found in this thread:

loc.gov/exhibits/lincoln/lincoln-as-commander-in-chief.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck off racist Sup Forums nerd. You will not divide America.

It was purely for economic reasons. The industrial north needed the south's cotton export. Also, the south was talking with Great Britain, and it wouldn't do to have a potential rival in the Confederacy. Lincoln was a politician, and a smart man, so he knew he couldn't let them secede. It would have destroyed America.

>muh destroyed america meme
The nigger-free north would have easily been a superpower by 1885

>fuck off Sup Forums nerd
>posted on Sup Forums
What did he mean by this

There are a plethora of books written about this very issue, and it's still widely debated among experts on whether or not Lincoln made the right decisions. Watch the Ken Burns documentary. Lincoln was constantly stressed about the war and fought hard to keep the peace. loc.gov/exhibits/lincoln/lincoln-as-commander-in-chief.html

yoooo trips

But slavery was at the heart of it, not the concept but the expansion of it. Remember at that time only the southern states had slavery and wanted to extend that to the newly made western states which in turn got blocked. The shit storm started rolling when the southern states complained that the act prevent economic expansion for them.

Than there was the shit storm at the fort that actually triggered the war, now who was at fault for that is up to debate. Regardless it happen and the war is long over.

I would somewhat agree with that except i think the real fear was of how OP the south would be in a few decades with industrialization in the south.

The north could never match the agricultural capacity of the south nor could they challenge their prices. Once the south developed a industrial backbone they would also supersede the north industrial ability due to cheap labor and close available resource. I think it might have rivaled the British empire simply because they would have everything the British empire had in one unified location.

Instead Lincoln won and we became the greatest superpower in history after a few decades of rebuilding :)

>slavery and wanted to extend that to the newly made western states which in turn got blocked. The shit storm started rolling when the southern states complained that the act prevent economic expansion for them.
well not really, It was essentially less slave states meant less political power which would lead to the end of slavery.

>War is Long over
yes but their are much older rivalries that go on today over smaller issues.

>Is there any argument in favor of the North in the Civil War other than "might makes right"?

War is the art of beating someone into submission. You're oversimplifying the Civil War here.

>the greatest superpower in history after a few decades of rebuilding
except that the south was still in economical and socio-cultural ruins into the 50's and the north continually used the southern population to fill a vast majority of the military to fight its wars(still going on today). The north maintained more politcal power over the south and the south was well under represented. The only thing that gave the south any political pull was because of how the south generally all voted the same way. Even then it was not really enough until Texas became an economical hub but even then i would argue that Texas is not southern instead its political leaning is only manifested due to its resentment for the federal government that was inline with Dixie.

you can't have an empire without peasantry ;)

>100+ years after the civil war and somebody is says "us" in a discussion about the war when mentioning "the South"
Literally, we wuz rebels. Sage

the whole point of the thread was to argue in favor of the north without using "Might is right" and i would say that you are currently arguing that or atleast you are burgeoning on it.

This is not about the north having the ability to do something but is to offer a valid defense of the north without resorting to "because they can" or "because someone has to be poor".

your argument can simply be used to point out that the north is not self sufficient and would be nothing without the south. Even today it would not be able to remained a world power house without its dependence on the south. The south can completely be independent of the north. Not to mention if there was another civil war the north would loose simply because it could not import enough resources to maintain a war economy.

So with your logic the south should destroy the north and flip the respective role of "peasant", because we could do that.

well its still our cultural identity.
it would be like a french man saying "we then invaded England." He is simply saying that from the perspective of his french identity, not claiming that he was actually apart of the invasion.

it's impossible to argue "for" any war (i.e. give good reasons for why a war was fought) without acknowledging the might is right aspect of war. it's inherent. that's why there was a war.

I concur but the point of this thread was to avoid the "Might makes right" fallacy. I call it a fallacy simply because its the idea that war are actually just because they can, which never happens.

I have essentially made the point for you that the north did it because they knew the south would eventually be more capable than the north in a just a few decades and so they could maintain greater political power.

though Yankee's will not like this argument because its makes them the eventual lesser of south and essentially makes the (((union))) out to be a political/economical monster/bad guy.
>TLDR: The argument names the Jew(union)

>War is the art of beating someone into submission
Ok, let start there, why was the south "beaten into submission.

Keep in mind an entire generation of young men were killed, any other country in the world could have steamrolled us after the civil war, we were just lucky that they didn't.

Why did that happen? for niggers? really?
Wake the fuck up, if Clinton and Obama said tomorrow "we are going to declare civil war against Donald Blumpf and all his constituents because they raysis" would you buy that shit too?

Try to answer me while keeping the OP in mind.

I've been homeschooled my entire life and never had much of a social life outside of online interactions with usually americans.
That being said almost every American I've met has been from the southern states, and I've grown to have a lot of respect for them. They like their country. I wish more people liked their countries.

>Why did that happen?
Personally anytime anyone has talked about why the war went on and why soldier fought i have always asked "Does it really makes sense over 500,000 men gaves their lives so less that 1% of the population could own slaves."

At the end of the day it was The War of Southern Independence.

Adversity builds a culture and that is why we are so proud(i think).

you should read the book "Culture of Honor", its a psychological perspective on Southern culture and its development. I think it paints a silhouette of an ideal that should be at least humored by the rest of the west.

>They like their country
It's all we've got, most people here can't just pack their shit and leave if they fuck everything up like liberals love to do, our states don't work that way.

When liberals fuck up California, they just take their 150k a year paycheck, pack their shit and sell their 500k McMansion and buy a house in Colorado to get away from the bullshit they made, if Cletus fucks everything up in Nowheresville Alabama he is fucked because a 30k a year paycheck wont buy jack shit anywhere.

Now you know why Cletus says "We don't like your kind around here" when some flaming faggot walks into his bar.

>Does it really makes sense over 500,000 men gaves their lives so less that 1% of the population could own slaves

it was over 600,000.

Six hundred thousand american soldiers died so that niggers can twerk their ass to rap music and tell us we ain't shit because Black Panther says they wuz kangz.

And then when Abraham Lincoln decided he'd send them all to central america they assassinated him.
Worst fucking president ever, absolutely useless. All he did was kill a half a million Americans and then die like a retarded faggot. His body count and subsequent damage to this country would make Kim Jon Un nut his fucking pants off.

>Six hundred thousand american soldiers
i was referring specifically to the confederate army.