Is there any shonen artist who can draw better than Akira Toriyama in his prime?

Is there any shonen artist who can draw better than Akira Toriyama in his prime?

Toriyama's art might be iconic, but it's not good quality. It's as lazy with white space as Kubo's but even that fuckhead outshines Toriyama when it comes to art, which is pretty far down the bottom of the barrel.
Toriyama's art is decent, but that's all it is, decent.

>Toriyama when it comes to art, which is pretty far down the bottom of the barrel.
>Decent
Nigga what? Toriyama is one of the greatest mangakas thanks to his understanding of composition, frame work, panel use and dynamism. The image OP posted is amazing because of that, Goku delivers a huge hit against Piccolo, nothing else matters besides that and the sound of the punch, which is ilustrated in the background. You should see the entire fight of Vegeta vs Reccome, or Ten Shin Han vs Goku and then you can pretend he isn't good. Not only that, but he is also quite good when it comes to designs, everything he draws is iconic and easily recognizable. Hell, that scene is so iconic people still keep making tributes of that, one example would be Murata in OPM.

But OPM is garbage

>Toriyama
>good artist

Kohei Horikoshi

That may be true but Murata is still pretty good as an artist and even he knows how good and iconic Toriyama is.
Pleb.

2/5

Why Pedro?

3/5

4/5

>ripping off Chrono Trigger designs
>goat

Nigga what?

Doesn't look impressive at all sorry

Kneel

5/5

>can draw better
Does this mean? Are you talking details, composition, choreography? What is our grading scale?

Toriyama knows choreography and action well but I'm not sure I'd call him the best at drawing things in great detail or making interesting human character designs.

Here you go OP

Murata Yusuke

>I'm not sure I'd call him the best at drawing things in great detail or making interesting human character designs.
While I agree with the first part that he isn't the best when it comes to making lots of details, but he is a gag mangaka, and in a gag manga you need to be simple and effective, just look at him in Arale. I disagree with the second part tho, his human designs are quite good, just look at Bulma, Roshi, Dr. Slump, Krillin.

I hope you mean paneling, choreography, and composition only. His character design is pretty average, at least to me.

We get it. Stop spamming.

B-BUT it's not

>ripping off Chrono Trigger designs
>ripping off

While having better animation that actual animation, it's not the best.

Katsura Hoshino?
Murata?
Oh Great?
Karasuma Tasaku?
Kondou Kazuma?

Here comes the Murata dicksucks. Every time.

Masanori Morita.

My Hero Academia

These.

This, niggas think that good drawing is only pretty faces and nice backgrounds.

What's wrong with Murata?

BNHfags and pedros can't handle that OPM have better art than their series

I love how you can perfectly understand what the fuck is happening even with all of those moves
Still i think that Inoue is a better artist, but is fucking good at paneling, drawing motion and having his own recognizable style

Posting Murata isn't fair

Nothing, it's just Sup Forums massively overrates him. Probably because we're full to the brim with newfags who genuinely haven't seen any of the many better artists who drew for WSJ alone, a number of which have been posted in this thread already.

I still have no idea how he gets most of these done within a couple of days. He spends most of his time slacking off & only gets stuff done in the last few days.

>Katsura Hoshino?
HAHAHA
>Murata?
Computer help, but ok.
>Oh Great?
Please, don't let the hot bodies fool you.
>Karasuma Tasaku?
Please, don't let the speed lines fool you.
>Kondou Kazuma?
Please.

>He spends most of his time slacking off & only gets stuff done in the last few days.
Probably the type to work better under pressure.

Either the faggot who does the One Punch Man reboot or the faggot who does Vagabond.

Murata lost his touch long ago.

>shonen

>that background

I'm fond of Watsuki on his prime.

I don't like his earlier and later styles so much, but by the climax of the Shishio saga and the beginning of Jinchuu, he was fucking perfect.

Yoshihiro Togashi.

Over-detailing everything except the face is always shit.
See: Otoyomegatari

inoue is one of my favorites

I...Is this a joke? Please lordy tell me you're joking.

Yes

I love threads like these. Always cool to see some good artists

miura but after black swordman arc and before digital style (around elf island)

Arguably doesn't count, because Berserk is Seinen.

But Miura is great

fuccc my bad, im stupid and forgot about the "shonen" rule

That's a bad page to demonstate this with though, it's almost totally illegible.

Togashi is really good when he isn't dying/

The picture was redrawn years ago, your point is invalid and boarding on shitposting

Oh fuck. You saw that Super Eyepatch Wolf video too?
You know quoting a YouTuber pretty much word for word doesn't make you look smart. It makes you look retarded

>Computer help, but ok
That's like 1% of his overall work, everything else is pencil and shading

How is one man this good? A dedicated team of artists couldn't put out something this consistently good

His fights are very good. Clean, easy to follow and when punch connects they have a weight on it.

No

Fug this one is higher quality

If Hori had time, he would be a beast.

I hate how anons cherry pick this hacks art. I'd expect any decent artist to produce some grand image of they had like 2 years worth of hiatus time to work on it

The hell is with that image quality in a thread about art?

Best thing I had
And if he were healthy

Murata's good technically but really bad at flow and is a poor story teller. Look at the top panel, from a low angle completely obscuring any sort of ground that establishes where Garou will land. Sure, the panel looks fine by itself but as a series of actions it doesn't set up the next scene where he lands and action should always direct the viewer towards the next scene. It's true in movies and it's true in a static medium like comics. Third panel is okay but there's no point to it, he could easily have a single large panel that showed the rods or w/e dropping from the sky AND Garou and the heroes' backs to show what happened while setting up the next scene to keep the action flowing.

I get that Garou's tired, but the impression I get is that the heroes are taking it way too easy when they're trying to hunt him down. Doesn't really make sense

Inoue by far

This, when you have time and help it's easy to draw up some portfolio pieces. Not like he's even coloring them. Also, he's really bad at creating contrast. Lazy linework, poor use of shading, it's not amateurish but it reeks of laziness. Just look at his old linework and his linework now, he knew he had a problem with making the characters in the foreground stand out (as they should) so he just fucking inks it like he's drawing a cartoon, with the highest, heaviest lines possible. Simple and effective sure, but not very pretty or impressive in any way.

>Is there any shonen artist who can draw better than Akira Toriyama in his prime?
>bunch of people talking about OPM
What?

Read Eyeshield 21, he's good

This is one I particularly hate when brought up as good.

>people bring up other artists
Woah

Step aside shonenfags.

>people bring up seinen art in a discussion about shounen artists

>See: Otoyomegatari
The faces don't need over-detailing in the first place.

>this thread again

He technically changed it from last time by adding "shounen."

Miura really shit in choreography and composition.

My problem with Murata is that although he is a spectacular artist, he doesn't have his own style.

>he doesn't have his own style
Except he does

I mean how do you "choreograph" (meaning literally determine how the bodies move) sword swingy action in a manga? I never get confused or wonder who's where or what's going on in Berserk, the action seems fine

It seems that way because he dresses his characters in whatever's popular at the time. He's good at getting the comfy 80s-90s fashion, along with comfy Chinese clothing.

But Toriyama's background is so good. Original Dragonball looked so comfy.

Depends on what you mean OP.

Toriyama's strength as an artist comes from his clean layouts. Paneling is straightforward and his actions have a noticable flow to them. This is during his DB era since by the time DBZ rolls around his fight choreography starts to diminish. Toriyama was at his best when he was writing a gag manga with martial arts background instead of trying to go completely serious with the fights. He isn't the best at illustrating everything however, it's really just fights and comedic timing he excelled at. As for Shonen artists I think match or exceed Toriyama. Some do so in the fight department, others do it in other areas like establishing visual tone and emotions. Character designs are something I think a lot of people beat Toriyama in.

Yellow Tanabe (Kekkaishi, Birdmen)
Fujita Kazuhiro (Ushio to Tora, Karakuri Circus)
Daromeon (Kengan Asura)

I would also put Horikishi (My Hero Academia) as I like his work and he does a good job with his fights overall, but does suffer a bit in terms of choreography.

Like it makes a big difference

I did say "technically."

Hori's art is beautiful when he is not sick

ballroom's manga looks great

Yeah, he's great with composition, action. But in terms of character design he has nothing unique.