How the fuck is 40% a "majority"

So in Italy you needed 40% of the votes to get a "majority", yet I always thought a "majority" was 50% + 1.
What kind of fucking math are they teach in Italy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_general_election,_2018#New_electoral_system
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't they have a mixed electoral system? Maybe 40% of votes means 50% + 1 seats?

I wanna pound your tight boipucci OP

It's the new electoral law
If you get 40% of the votes you have the majority of the seats in parliament

If you reach 40% you get a seat bonus. This has been done since we have a fuckton of parties, so getting 50%+1 of the votes is quite the feat, and makes creating a stable government even harder than what it already is.

majority
NOUNplural majorities
The greater number.

‘in the majority of cases all will go smoothly’

Gg Sherlock. Majority doesn't mean absolute majority.

Because you're a stupid fuck, that's why.
40% could easily be a majority If you have more than 2 parties.

This. We didn't even manage to get 40% this time anyway so it really didn't help much.

Perhaps they mean a plurality or relative majority
>For example, if 100 votes were cast, including 45 for Candidate A, 30 for Candidate B and 25 for Candidate C, then Candidate A received a plurality of votes but not a majority.

So what happens if two parties both hold a majority?

We basically never had two distinct parties like in America, but a shitton of tiny ones, it's impossible to reach 50% for anyone.
We had a few periods of bicameralismo similar to America, but things change too often here to rely on a system like that

so when will we know if spaghetti is back on the menu?

what you are talking about is plurality, retard.

23rd of March

>two parties both hold a majority
Are you retarded?

>How the fuck is 40% a "majority"
'Cause (((Common Core))) said so, soygoy...

Same day when SAO RE:Hollow Fragment is released on PC by the way. 2018 a good year so far.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand italian politics.

Here you go lad

>In international institutional law, a "simple majority" (also a "majority") vote is more than half of the votes cast. A"qualified majority" (also a "supermajority") is a number of votes above a specified percentage (e.g. two-thirds); a "relative majority" (also a "plurality") is the number of votes obtained that is greater than any other option; and an "absolute majority" is a number of votes "greater than the number of votes that possibly can be obtained at the same time for any other solution", when voting for multiple alternatives at a time

read this faggot
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_general_election,_2018#New_electoral_system

Nope, that's not it.
Let me explain:
We have 3 parties, A, B and C.
A got 25%
B got 35%
C got 40%

C got the majority with 40%.

What if you were to have:
>A got 15%
>B got 41%
>C got 44%

That is a plurality vote

44% wins of course
Yeah, I understand that now from another post. It was a misunderstanding of words from my part.
Here in Beanland we don't have a way of wording or definition in the same vein as "plurality".

Yeah, annons mocking op, but issue is really just a different use of the word

We have a mixed electoral system right now with 36% of the seats using a FPTP system, mathematically if you get about 40% of the votes you should get a majority of the seats

We have a multi party system and 40% is already fucking hard to obtain.

What if two parties (or is it coalitions?) both get 40% of the votes is what he's asking. I assume it's the larger of the two who get's the bonus right?

You have to look at each electoral district in that case, you are very unlikely to have an uniform 40% in the entire country here since the country is so divided, so those two parties would probably get every FPTP seat in one area of the country each and not get a majority