What anime do you think has the best/worst CGI? And what anime CGI is just special?

What anime do you think has the best/worst CGI? And what anime CGI is just special?

(ID-0 is not a bad anime. but the fucking cgi...)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=khT5PwEtiVM
youtube.com/watch?v=pwFpAyEuph8
a.pomf.cat/qwjfio.mp4
sakugabooru.com/post/show/12350
youtube.com/watch?v=INk0H7PTSkA
youtube.com/watch?v=Zb23-qAOjeg
youtube.com/watch?v=1QAI4B_2Mfc
i.imgur.com/I1xffK2.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In 2 days for ORANGE's debut.
youtube.com/watch?v=khT5PwEtiVM

CGI is bad if I notice it's there. Only good use of CGI I can think of would be ulterior to the animation proper, like representing literal CG (Shirobako) or a computer simulation (see Macross Plus for example).

I wouldn't say it's the best but Macross F's CG still looks great 10 years later.

Holy shit, what is this?
2D animation btfo
It says it's a TV series but I don't believe it.

fuck CG, if it's any more than something like Cowboy Bebop's 2 second CG space station shots or whatever, instant drop

Kemono Friends is definitely the worst.

Bubuki Buranki looked great, in my opinion. The story was shitty though.

And I know this is an unpopular opinion but Kemono Friends managed to be good-looking in spite of the CG, because it wasn't trying to emulate cel-animation storyboarding.

Actually I think CG anime has been improving a lot in recent years. It seems like Knights of Sidonia was a long time ago.

Don't get your hopes up yet, we still yet to see the full episode, also this is the first time Orange working on their own, they might screw up something later on.

youtube.com/watch?v=pwFpAyEuph8

Berserk is the worst cgi that i ever seen

improving maybe, but it's still in that "not quite there" period that anything with lots of CG is totally wasted.

Best CG is that full CG Gantz movie. Worst CG from recent memory is Berserk.

>Worst
All of it
>Best
None of it

CG in anime is complete shit, and anyone who enjoys it, especially the excuse for mechs that Orange produces, can fuck off to Sup Forums or /3/.

Show by rock though. in the chibi form.

What about CG that fully embraces its CGness and isn't trying to ape 2D?

Reminder to ignore the ignorant anti-CG babies, they can't even notice the rampant QUALITY of their precious 2D anime, much less understand the huge cinematography and scene complexity constraint hand drawn animation puts on anime.

I didn't like it. I think, unless you're full CG a la Pixar, it's going to look poor.

Great, go make a video game.

If this post isn't a joke, you might be the stupidest fucking poster on the board right now.

Such as..?

>no arguments at all
Babies!

There is nothing wrong with full cgi shows.
Now, using cgi to be cheap bastards and trying to use it on a mainly 2D show that bad

>CG anime isn't complete garbage with oversaturated models, limited squash and stretch and sterile style that relies and spinning and shaking the camera to hide the lack of proper choreography
I'll respond to you again when you come up with a real response that isn't some retarded generalization about how "it could look good a million years in the future" or just more autistic screeching that doesn't touch on specifics.

It already looks better than the hand drawn skills of 99% of the industry's animator though. And you know it if you aren't retarded.

Shut the fuck up.

>limited squash and stretch
You're full of shit.

Infini-T Force airing right now had very good cgi.

it's almost like some of the most creative stuff emerged from creative people learning to work with and transcend technical limitations or something

>s-shut up!
Hahaha

Kado was pretty good

Exactly.

Don't bully them user, they're trying their hardest to pretend they're oldfags and that they fit in.

I love you.

Provide an actual example that can compete with this on those fronts. Not some bullshit about technical capabilities or what you totally think it can do, but a real example. If you can't, feel free to fuck off.

>sqaush AND smear
I'm not even mad, that was a 10/10 post.

Truly a progressive medium

I really don't get this scene, it's so dull. Honestly think Nakamura is so overrated. Definitely a great animator, but like, I dunno it bugs me that he's sort of the face of good animation these days.

Not that CG is good, I don't like CG.

The best use of CGI is when it's treated as it's own medium with different strengths and weaknesses compared to 2D animation, rather than simply used as a replacement.

Stuff like Captain Harlock, Gantz: Osaka, FFVII: Advent Quest, etc, etc.

When it's used a cheap replacement for traditional animation it looks cheap and sloppy because the CGI doesn't use traditional animation techniques to convey a better sense of movement: Stuff like tweening, smash frames for impacts, even some of the hilarious Naruto stills work to compliment the traditional still frames, and when 3D CGI is used to replace the still frames they're generally not added in... So you're left with a half-done animation which looks sloppy and dives into the uncanny valley because it's too perfect to work normally.

That's why so much 3D CGI looks cheap, because it's being used as a cheap replacement and not as the best technique for the job.

>I really don't get this scene, it's so dull
>it's so dull

Etotama's CG was neat.

The effect animation is gorgeous but that Shiba guy just looks bad while he's stiffly punching the guy and when his expression changes too rapidly, it's unsatisfying.

Technical proficiency is there, but the environments are awful and bland, and the actual actions are the typical flashy fighting stuff you see everywhere. Doesn't have that good weightiness I like to see in a fight. Please don't think I'm saying it's bad or poorly animated, though.

Yeah, this. Surprised me.

I love you too

yeah it was really charming and cute.

Those are nice attempts at trying to make technical criticism. Keep at it and one day you might sound like you know what you're talking about.

What did I say that was wrong?

You hurted his feelings

That depends, which expert critique was yours.

Not really, just a bunch of hollow nothing like the idiot pretending that CG can do squash and stretch like hand drawn does.

Oh no, woe is me, I can't comment on a webm I stumbled upon in a thread unless I attempt to sound pretentious and respect this expert anime critic's feelings.

The environment is an empty field behind an abandoned warehouse. Not sure what you're getting at. I'd love to see what other "typical flashy stuff" looks like that. The characters have an appropriate sense of weight, as they're humanoids and not giant robots. A 200 pound robot that can lift a couple tons over their head isn't going to have any trouble moving around or moving the weight on an opponent that weighs about the same as them, and if you watch the jump kick Raito does at the beginning, the weight shift is actually really nice and leads into his acceleration to chase Megashin.

>pretentious
Since when is not being dumb the same as being pretentious?

Since when does an opinion need to be a formally worded critique that uses the correct technical terminology? I just voiced my opinion, no need to get so triggered that each of your posts is oozing passive aggressive comments.

You must be 18 to post on this website.

Shame that the animation was kinda choppy. One of the things that Etotama did well was having a fun and dynamic background, though.

As for great CGI-anime currently airing, The Snack World is really fun and awesome.

>no need to get so triggered that each of your posts is oozing passive aggressive comments.
I think I found the problem; you're an idiot. I made a sarcastic post and then called your post a bunch of hollow nothing and called you dumb, and you're confusing it with passive aggressiveness.

>user posts his opinion
>another user replies with a different opinion
>hey what the hell user I was just expressing my opinion

I hope more 2d animators die from stress, overwork and poor health because of their shit pay.
They deserve it for working with outdated methods.

I believe in studio Yaoyoruzu. It has never disappointed me, except that one time when that seiyuu fucker director couldn't control his dick anymore, that goddamn idiot.

Id-0 CG girls actually looks cute/sexy. And their facial expressions don't look too fucked up. I like.

Funnily enough, the the way that giant robot Mizuki Maya postured let her emote quite well, despite having just a cone head.

Try reading your own posts again.

>"lol nice criticism" is a different opinion
This is such a dicksucking defense it makes me wonder if you're samefagging using your phone.

Learn the difference between sarcasm followed by "You're an idiot" and passive aggressive, you fucking idiot.

My personal AOTY for 2016. If you ask me, when it comes to Sanzigen shows ID-0 was fun, but overall it would be third after BBK and Arpeggio.

>All that shit taste

Isn't anyone going to say anything about those fucking Duplo blocks every time something blows up.
Every anime that uses this was I have ever seen was shit in terms of animation.

I can't tell if you're actually this much of a newfag, or just a brilliant troll.

a.pomf.cat/qwjfio.mp4

Wait, which episode is the right?

Isn't that more like
>no effort vs effort

Compared to the whole gaming or anime industry, Toei still have the best methods when it comes to 3D2D. Those Japanese animators need experience on both traditional and CG animation.
sakugabooru.com/post/show/12350
youtube.com/watch?v=INk0H7PTSkA
first part
youtube.com/watch?v=Zb23-qAOjeg

Photorealistic CGI is easy compared to 3D trying to adapt on 2D, photorealism only needs money to improve, whereas on 3D imitating 2D, you'll need skills from both traditional and CG animation. They're trying the impossible at this moment, that's why it's more interesting from an animator's point of view, remember that imitating traditional animation in 3DCG isn't fully possible at this moment, even for Disney.

Woah... so this is the power of 2D

Well, they tried.
youtube.com/watch?v=1QAI4B_2Mfc

Oh wow, someone's upset and in denial.

Oh wow, English isn't someone's first language.

>Pop in Q
How much budget did they blow on that one? Did it sell?

Why does 3D shit look like it has a framerate of 5?

Damn. If only it didn't have yurishit (probably).

Do you guys fucking remember the CG in the tv airing of Mekaku City Actors?

It's a mahou shoujo anniversary project, the budget is well above-average.

WHY THE FUCK DID YOU REMIND ME

i.imgur.com/I1xffK2.jpg

It was shit, but you can't really use shaft as an example of bad CG because they are bad at everything including 2D

One day, the CG in Japanese TV animation for late-night watchers will be as fluid and good as Japanese TV animation for kids or Western TV CG animation overall.
Fight-o, Japan. One day, you will arrive in the 21st century.

I think this is the worst it ever got for me, I started getting revulsion spasms when it popped in out of nowhere.

Looks like all the other CG trash that crossboarders try to pretend is good.

Don't they all have far higher standards than what the community on Sup Forums watches?

Why do they render the CD in such a low framerate?
Should be able to jack the framerate up as high as you want if it's a 3D sequence. No animators drawing frames.

Where's my 480fps anime?

It's meant to blend with 2D

Sounds like they should stop halfassing it then.
Either go 3D or don't.

Anime is traditionally 2D, not so easy to just "go 3D" like that, from a commercial perspective.

Then stay 2D and keep the 3D shit in experimental projects not for the public. No one wants to see halfassed 3D.

It's more a matter of money and effort. It's not as though 3D is chosen because they think it's the best decision, artistically.

Etotama has good CG.

One of my favourite memories of Sup Forums

Seikaisuru Kado. Too bad the show was too deep for the average Sup Forums user, and most people here didn't understand it at all.

Majestic Prince looked really nice.