Dragon Ball Classic

Holy shit, why did I ever ignored something THIS good? Is every generic Shounen like this?

I mean
>excellent art
>excellent story (WAY less cliché than I expected)
>excellent characters
>excellent setting/universe. everything looks magic
>excellent fights

What does Sup Forums think about DBC?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X7kZVH849Eo
youtube.com/watch?v=BT1Dp69D7q0
youtube.com/watch?v=in7K7Otyp6Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You know all this "Toriyama wanted to end Dragonball after X" rumors that are all over the place? Well, Toriyama legit intended Dragonball to end after the eponomous Dragonballs were found. He just kept going and going and going and going due to massive popularity/demand. He'd always write "just a few more volumes" until it grew out into the tumor it is today. And with every new "just another few volumes" Toriyama began forgetting things. That's because Toriyama doesn't plan, he writes on the fly (which is why even colored pages tend to be inconsistent, motherfucker doesn't even look up the right colors. He just does whatever "feels" right in the moment, which is why Bulma's hair flips from blue to purple all the time).

Dragonball is better than whatever followed it because there was a lot less room for Toriyama to contradict himself, and his memory was still fresh.

sounds like you'd enjoy One Piece and Gash Bell.

youtube.com/watch?v=X7kZVH849Eo

>Gash Bell

Fantastic taste user

>What does Sup Forums think
Piccolo saga (plus the tournament where Goku beats Piccolo again) is my favorite by far in this series.

Dragon Ball is the reason that modern generic shounen is generic.

It's not really Dragon Ball's fault if shounen mangaka are uncreative.

my favorite, and one of the most important pieces of art in my entire life. thank you akira toriyama.

enjoy this feeling

you will never have it again

>Not reading dragon ball as a kid
You fucked up

Didn't he just not like doing it because he couldn't have much freedom until buu?
>not superior dub
youtube.com/watch?v=BT1Dp69D7q0

It's classic for a reason. DBZ is when he jumped the shark.

>LET'S TRY TRY
>Superior dub
l pity you gringos.

>accusation of race
>an actual argument

I love Dragon Ball, Red Ribbon arc was great
youtube.com/watch?v=in7K7Otyp6Q

>watching the anime

Dragon Ball is great stuff. Z is when it really goes down hill unfortunately. I do personally kind of wish they kept the friend characters more relevant and Goku didn't get so far ahead of them every chapter. I'd have preferred a more "yu yu hakusho" style approach to characters like Krillin, Yamcha, and Tien. Not as strong as Goku, fine, but still reliable and somewhat relevant to the series.

Other than that minor complaint, I love the series. The anime was good, the manga was amazing, and world, style, fights. It was all top notch. Z really shit the bed with the stakes constantly getting bigger and greater to the point where every fight was either a shot of people punching and kicking at light speed or little light blips showing that the characters were moving so fast the eye couldn't keep up.

Bulma is also in almost the entire DB series, and she's great, so more Bulma the better.

Are you sure? I've read interviews where he had an outline for some later segments when he initially planned, and how Torishima told him that competitions like the Penguin Island Grand Prix were always popular choices, and how the reason why Dragon Ball was made was because Jump would only let him end Dr. Slump if he made another successful series (which Dragon Ball wasn't until the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai).

What I like most is how it flows so perfectly. There is no ambiguity where you're supposed to look. Dialogue balloons, sound effects, and direction of action all serve to lead the eye. I noticed that characters never speak again after they've spoken once in a panel. It's not a dialogue-heavy book, but that still takes a lot of restraint.

>Gash Bell.
Muh Nigga. I always have maintained that the real core of action shonen and its broad appeal lies in its ability to create a sense of wonder. In that regard, very few manga can replicate what original DB and Gash Bell did.