Danganronpa thread

Alright, Sup Forums, now that the series is theoretically over, let's be honest here. Was it really that good, or did it just become popular because of that old "muh attractive emotionally fragile teens killing each other makes me so wet" kind of shit?

I think you posted on the wrong board.

It has an anime so it's fine
If you dare say that it has more than one I will fucking end you.

Do you mean this one?

the plot twists and class trials were pretty damn great, but I had to skip the last 10 minutes of every game because the endings were always cringe as fuck

I doubt very much it is over, V3 sold well and the premise of the series can be reused a hundred times

Wrong board

Wow, that's some nice fanart. I say it's fanart because there is no way that anything even remotely similar to this was ever made.

Wait, but anime styled visual novels get posted here all the time. And this one has had an official adaptation, so why is it in the wrong board?

All the games have a shit main story, only redeeming parts are the characters and actually playing the cases themselves and as an anime it really doesn't work.

Kubikiri Cycle is very similar, but much better.

Funny you guys mention that, because apparently V3's ending pretty much pulls a Homestuck, as in it's ridiculously insulting to the fans.

The ending of V3 is literally
It was all fiction and not real including the first two games or was it lol

>it's ridiculously insulting to the fans
Does it top DR3? Because that's what the anime literally was

It pulled an Umineko.

Guess I'm not buying the game then

I didn't finish the second one. First was good tho. So I guess, mediocre?

Guess I'm buying it.

The trials were great, but they really fucked up by making Hope V. Despair the overarching theme to the franchise

V3 is sad because it could have been a proper reboot until they fucked everything up at the end

Post them

It was never intended that way

I just finished the third game, and I really enjoyed it, but I also have no interest in playing another one. It was a good gameplay loop but I would be too bored if I had to do it again.

That's why the ending worked for me. It was acknowledging that the gameplay formula doesn't have much room for change, and the underlying plot between the games is not really interesting enough to keep people coming back just for it.

It's not meant to be insulting to fans. They made D3 so that people who felt invested in this plot could get some closure. But I don't think most players were very invested in it, and were playing the games for the characters and mysteries.

I have a feeling that since this series is so successful they're going to continue bringing it back year after year being essentially the same game with a new coat of paint while retconning the ending of V3 so they can keep dragging out the plot, like Assassin's Creed. And while I'm sure there's some people who'd love to see this series keep coming back, I've had my fill.

I don't know what this list is, but since Chiaki is at rock bottom, I'm gonna guess it is wrong.

It's not complete and that's real Chiaki
Real Chiaki sucks, AI Chiaki is the good one

I had my fill after the second game. Honestly, the series could have ended there and I wouldn't mind at all. Instead, we had to suffer through the mediocre experience that was Despair Girls, and the disgusting garbage fire that was the anime. Those completely killed my interest in the entire franchise.

Oh yeah, you're right. And yes, you're right.

To me, it seemed that Kodaka wanted people to forget about DR so he can rest.
He reached his limit and it shows. Almost everything in V3 is reused from previous games and he didn't even try with the characters. They are even blander than usual.

So yeah, like I said before, it's just like the end of Homestuck.

I don't know a thing about Homestuck. The creator had to forcefully end it as well?

No, but he also ended it in such a way that pissed nearly everyone off to drive away the fans so he could be left alone.

Thankfully I managed to skip both of those, because I felt all the outside world story was far and away the worst part of the series. I accepted it in the first game because you can't have a great mystery without an answer and an answer that fucking zany was probably the only way to adequately explain the mysteries of the game.

I kind of want to experience both now just to see how bad they are.

Then get ready for:
>pitiful, uninteresting protagonists
>pathetic, unmotivated antagonists
>meaningless side characters
>nonsensical plot twists
>shock value galore
>tasteless fanservice
>and some of the most blatant plot holes you'll ever see

At least the music is fucking good.

It's almost impressive how they managed to make an ending that is even worse than what we got in the anime.

Kodaka actually recieved death threats because of that.

Rest in peace, Mr. Minotaur. You were too cool for this world, though we barely even knew a thing about you. God, that anime is terrible.

Oh, of course he did.

Fuck 3. Gozu was too fucking cool to just have him killed off screen. Izayoi didn't do enough just to get killed. Fuck that series.

The series isn't over. You're delusional if you think otherwise.

It better be over. It only gets worse each time.

It's over, the series peaked around DR33

I thought the ending was good desu. Plus at the end tsumugi mentioned that she was copying something with DR. I think we might get a new title with the same or similar formula that Danganronpa was supposedly a spin off of.

How is that a good thing, user?!

Well, I would agree with that if the second game weren't such a step up from the first one.

What went so wrong?

Too much of a need to explain everything. The greatest despair inducing event in the history of mankind was always going to be ridiculous. It was better left as something unspeakable. This is a story that can get away with a lot of ridiculous things, but not such a pivotal event. And in the anime's case, it felt like it was desperate to give many characters a happy ending that they didn't need or really deserve. When the theme of the series is hope triumphing over despair, it's a lot more meaningful for characters to be hopeful after everything's a mess than when half the cast is saved through a deus ex machina. Basically, after 2 it forgot what it was actually about and became something like a fanfiction continuation of the story.

Shitty filler

That's why I said the series could have ended in the second game without any problems. The anime just completely ruined both the beginning and the end of the overall plot of the series.

Awful taste.

So basically, all of the DR animes are trash. There's something fundamentally incompatible about adapting this style of VN, same reason the Ace Attorney anime was totally underwhelming. The detective work is fun, interrogating is fun, putting the plot together piece by piece at your own pace is fun, but you get none of that.

It probably should have ended after the second game but they were too successful for their own good, remember the first two entries were just cheap PSP games but by the time they were making the third it had become this huge franchise. V3 definitely seems like it's putting Danganronpa to bed and I fucking hope so.

V3 was disappointing but it's really only the ending that sucks.

It became a huge franchise because it's a great franchise
SDR2 was already a lot more polished than DR1
If you wanna see how much the production values increased just look at the opening videos from the various games and compare them
Also NDRV3 was released as an HD game on the ps4 too

SDR2 was more polished yet still managed to be a worse game.

It was better
Better characters, better cases, better story
The only thing that wasn't as good was the atmosphere, the oppressive locked school is fucking scary

Really? I thought the second game was a great improvement compared to the first. The classmates felt more fleshed out, the suspense over what was actually happening felt bigger, Hajime was a main character leagues better than Naegi, and the trials were way more heart wrenching.

I wasn't implying otherwise, I loved the games, even V3 despite its ending, I just think it's time. I don't want to imagine how bad a fourth entry would be after everything that's happened.

I'm not entirely sure you got my point about the production values either, I was literally saying the same thing. It started small and the games got bigger, the budgets got bigger but the expectations got bigger as well.

I think that the main problem is fanservice
Think about it, the only reason this ending happened is that
>let's make the cosplayer the mastermind so at the last trial she can cosplay as Junko and the others, the fans will love it
>but she has cospox
>so let's make that the games were fictional, yes, now we have both fanservice and a cool ending twist
I personally liked it because it managed to make sense and actually leaves a lot of room for future entries, while still staying true to the franchise, featuring returning characters and being completely insane

Though, yeah, it did come with its flaws. Some of the characters didn't really give a good enough first impression for you to want to invest in them (looking at you, Mahiru), the twists pushed the suspension of disbelief a bit too far, Monomi felt really unnecessary to the story, there were quite a few plot holes here and there, but nothing as crazy as the anime. And Komaeda. Holy Shit, did Komaeda and his bullshit get really old really fast. How the hell did this guy become a fan favorite I'll never know.

>Kurokuma that high
See, you're entitled to your opinion, but fucking no. You like Junko that much, whatever, you like Shirokuma that much, whatever. Fucking Kurokuma though?

Since im not a little bitch, I liked the ending. Fucking idiots getting mad over a game lol.

I hope the series continues somehow but Kodaka seems to be tired of it.

>make sense
>stay true to the franchise
Are you nuts? No conclusion that leaves on a "And none of it was real. The end." EVER makes justice to whatever franchise it is trying to end, especially one like DR. And there better not be any future entries, this series had a good run, but it's time for it to lay down already.

For someone who allegedly isn't a little bitch, you've sure done a spectacular job at sounding like one.
Anyway, here's your (You).

You guys are crazy. The casts were about equal, with 1's being more consistent and 2 having some really good and some really awful characters. The trials were downgrades because several minigames played worse than before, and the new ones were plain bad. The motives were weaker, the culprits for the first three cases were extremely obvious (just as obvious as the original game's first case), Hajime was basically Makoto but with angst and thus even more annoying, the setting sucked, and the story (and especially ending) was plain bad.

Mahiru was best girl though.

I really loved every part of the game series. Even Despair Girls. Anime was pretty meh.

One was great and original. Two was a step up in every way and even gave me the happy end of them all being able to possibly wake up eventually (since I liked every character in that game) and 3 was solid and had the most meta ending in existence and it was hilarious and great at the same time just because Kodaka had enough balls to do it.

I want them to make another but I dont know how they could. Maybe I just want Masafumi Takada to keep making bomb soundtracks.

Despair Girls gets too much shit. It played fairly well once you turned off aim assist. The only ly issue is it was too easy. It's better written than the majority of the series.

>he is so blind that he can't realize when something is shit and that the creator doesn't want to do it anymore
wew lad
I bet you think zero escape 3 is a mastapiece

I have the same exact opinions with you regarding the series but from the ending of V3, I feel as if Kodaka just wants to move on

Then let him. People act like the series needs him to survive. And before it's brought up yes DR3 sucked but that doesn't mean it can't work with a different, better writer.

That might be a bit of a stretch, but I won't deny that she is indeed great. When I got to know her better in the post game stuff (mostly because I was required to), Mahiru turned out to be a huge sweetie pie. And that's what pissed me off the most about this whole thing. In no moment was I motivated to go talk to her because the only side of her we saw was the "I want to speak to a manager" persona she put up front. Like, for fucks sake, game! You know I'm supposed to care about these people, right?

Kodaka is def done and honestly I thought V3's ending was a good way to end things. I do hope that a similar game is released in the future, there aren't nearly enough investigation games.

Havent played any zero escape games

Danganronpa is a solid series if you dont take it super seriously. Sup Forums just likes to shit all over everything to make themselves sound cool on an anonymous image board.

Oh, man! Is it opposite day already? Time sure does fly, huh? Well, have a terrible day, my bad enemy!

Seriously, man. We get it. You make a great "little bitch" impression, that's cool, but you better stop before people start getting the wrong idea.

Man people seem to be really mad about being told fictional characters are fictional

Why are you still replying to me?

Have I become a ruse master?

Not a stretch. Also we see her kinder side with Hiyoko. People say she's bitchy or hates men and that isn't true at all. The only times she's negative are all justified (calling out Hajime in the beginning when he's acting like an idiot, not taking Fuyuhiko's shit). She just doesn't let herself be pushed around.

Yes, I know it's not true, but frankly why would I care enough to verify it is or not? And of course the kinder side shows with Sayonji. Not only is the trash loli completely inept on everything besides dancing and bullying, which awakens Mahiru's maternal instincts, but she's also, you know, a girl. And I'd say Komaeda pushed her around quite a bit after the first trial.

If danganronpa was passed onto a different writer I think it could work and honestly I'm intrigued to see another interpretation of the series

DR is an extremely restrictive formula, and needs to end before it wears itself out.
The outside, post-apocalyptic world is not interesting at all once it's revealed.

The V3 ending was the perfect commentary on the series, and why it needs to end. The only way they could surprise you was by breaking the 4th wall.
Stop asking for endless sequels every time you enjoy a game or show, and just enjoy it for what it is.

The ending of V3 is literally
Stop taking the cheesy DR universe seriously, retard

some of us just enjoy death game VNs

>why would I care enough
user not every character was meant to appeal to everyone. Outside of completionists most people are going to spend time with the handful of characters that they find appealing. For instance I gravitated to Mahiru because I liked how she stood up for herself, while initially I ignored Mikan because her personality seemed annoying to me (an opinion that changed throughout the game). Meanwhile other people felt the opposite.

Also I don't remember Nagito pushing anyone around until case 4.

Yes, as do I.
But it doesn't need to be called Danganronpa and include the same rules, gameplay format, artstyle, villain and general character archetypes every time.

Stop getting overly attached to specific franchises, and instead encourage creators to make new things in the same vein.

... But, essentially wouldn't that make it a completely different game then?

The worst part of danganronpa is how convoluted some of the murders are.
There's several red herrings every case, and there's always some bullshit you only learn of halfway through the trial.

I don't care so long as it's an investigation game with strong characters. Honestly I'll be fine if DR ends so long as another game picks up the torch in the detective game niche

Yes, and it would still be a death game VN.

I disagree, I think DR does a good job of laying most the info out there before the trial. That's kind of what separates it from Phoenix Wright, where you're literally flying by the seat of your pants the whole time

user, I'm pretty sure the Ace Attorney series is still holding that torch.

11037, gender pronoun mixup, dumb robot hijinks with awful acting, dead smiling woman with bottle, meat on the bone, water bottles, and despair disease murderers were all extremely obvious.

What about the Chihiro twist?

No, the ending has multiple theories attached to it. Tsumugi not being able to dress up as Kaede but being able to dress up as everyone else makes no sense.

The ending, most likely, points to the killing games happening in the past for sure. This is evident with the same boy talking to Shuichi after he was on the run and also "watching" the killing game.

The closest idea I can think of to "nothing is real xd" is that everyone in the outside world is full on Despair and they're watching the show for fun. The contestants had their memories wiped, of course. The "auditions" also make no sense when you look at the prologue

Mondo calls him a dude when they first find the body.

I agree, I really like the characters and the concept of the game.

Other ideas that I really like are the concept of Ultimates (makes it so the people have different unique talents that factor into murders/solving), and the pink blood really grew on me.

Minigames should be improved, a lot, though.

True but I always found that DR did investigations/ trials better than ace attorney. I'm going to miss DR's great style too

Yeah, some of them were pretty easy.
But I'm talking about shit like the VR murder, where you know almost exactly what happened because it's so obvious, yet they pull the Gonta shit, so you rely entirely on other characters telling you who the culprit is.