About to watch Gintama for the first time, what am I in for lads?

About to watch Gintama for the first time, what am I in for lads?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QI0kWd1FSwk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A great cure for insomnia.

Bobobo without the glasses. Hemorrhoid Ninja best gal.

Don't drop it before watching the first 25 episodes.

Pretty much this.

only the best Anime ever.

Mayo guy was really fun.

Start with Yoshiwara in flames Arc.
Then you can go back and watch as you seem fit.

It worked with me and all of my friends. Also there's something with serious arcs involving Yoshiwara being some sort of kickstarters for shit going down BUT they can't really be defined as being part of THE main story, it's a strange way of storytelling (that's why you won't see them in the live actions) but it works really well.

Forgot pic.

Lots of laughs and tears.

what the fuck user I love shinsengumi

A great anime until you start the 2015 series. Then a decent anime until you start the 2017 series.

>Also there's something with serious arcs involving Yoshiwara being some sort of kickstarters.

Strangely this is true. I never realized that before but all the political plots actually started in Yoshiwara.

139-146, 8 episodes. Have fun.

It's garbage.
The first 50-ish episodes are boring and by boring I mean BORING.
and the serious arcs are garbage at best.
Don't even bother to watch it

Fuck this guy. Watch it.

One thing I tell, don't follow the first anime episodes (1~50) through you will probably won't like it.

Start with some serious arcs like this user recommended Then IF you get interested in the anime (like it happened with me) you will look for more episodes and answers for things you didn't understood, or didn't quite get. You'll be hooked then.

Garbage? Seems like someone here don't understand japanese culture at all, but well... I don't blame you for having that opinion about the first episodes.

Now, OP the problem with Gintama is that you won't get it what the anime is about without jumping in a serious arc right off the bat. Altought sometimes hilarious the comedy arcs will make you question why you're watching Gintama and not another comedy spice of life.
The thing with Gintama is HOW Sorachi can make transitions in storytelling, the comedy arcs will make you CARE for the characters when shit happens.
But the serious arcs should've happened first. I think that's why Gintama is difficulty for newcomers.

Skip the first double-episode whhich was anime-original filler (an excuse to show all characters with their voices). Third episode is the real start, ie. the adaptation of first manga chapter.

Don't listen to other "skip first X number of episodes" or "watch serious arcs first", that doesn't make any sense. Gintama is funny from the start (though it definitely gets better later because the producer and director gave up making a family-friendly show after the show was dropped out of prime time) and you wouldn't give a fuck about the serious arcs if you knew nothing about regular characters and their backgrounds.

Basically the best anime of all time, with the greatest OST of all time and the most endearing characters ever made.

Watch new Blade Runner

don't drop it before ep 105

You have to watch at least 436 minutes before considering dropping it.

See? That's dumb. Why not start from 105 then?

"Oh but you will not understand blablabla"

Whatever, if it's good you will be curious and you will keep on watching, like I said before, me and my friends started with Yoshiwara in flames, and we were hooked right off the bat. There isn't anything really complex before it.

I never understood this meme, but if it worked for you guys I guess that's ok. For me what sold me this series was the very first episode(Episode 3) where Gintoki is introduced and how Shinpachi followed him to pursue his dream to become a samurai, oh boy just remembering it is making me laugh like an idiot, what a ride and definitely one of my favourite first episodes ever.

Forgot to add that if the beginning doesn't convince you then maybe the show is not for you, but like I said above, whatever works for you guys as long you enjoy it.

Jap humor is shit
Larry> Gintama

It was a different time, back then comfy episodes are enough to keep us hooked and now we can feel the nostalgia of it.

However nowadays you have to rely on shock value (See Goblin Slayer Gobbed) or a really strong start (BNHA) to stay relevant.

Most animes are short-term fun.
Gintama is long-term happiness.

Your choice.

Do you like the sound of a comedic, almost SOL-style series about no good oddjobs group, set in alternative history of Japan, with aliens, robots, samurai and ninja's clashing, with tons of modern Nippon shenanigas in the mix?
Do you like LOL RANDOM, tons of references to other shows & media products, and the 4th wall being broken actively and on purpose all the time?

Are you OK with occasional "serious" arcs where SHTF, and rare feels episodes that may make you feel like shit?

If you got more "yes" answers, then Gintama might be just the thing for ya.

Few tips:
1) You should SKIP the first 2 episodes. Those are literally filler, as you prolly already noticed. Ep3 is the first REAL episode of the show.

2) The first 20-25 episodes or so are literally dedicated for introductions and mild foreshadowing. While not exactly terrible, that section is easily the worst the show has to offer. It starts picking up the pace after that, with the first ""recap"" episode being a lovely change of pace and example of the show's better humor. You get a first decent "serious" mini-arc around ep 40, which can be seen as an appetizer of things to come.

However, the show REALLY starts to kick up the pace and style after the first year, with the second season packing tons of cool, memorable chapters and way better production values to boot. The legendary "Benizakura" arc is pretty much the show's counterpart to Bleach's "Soul Society" arc, as in the part where everyone agrees shit really hits the fan and gets interesting. It will pretty much set the overall style of the show for the entire series afterwards, with small ups and downs between the arcs.

tl;dr: Skip first 2eps, give the show minimum of 25eps, preferably full 50 before you pass judgement. 1st season is merely "OK" for most part, but still VERY required to get into the series' cast and lore.

Be wary of the god-awful "serious" arcs.

Watch the first 105 episodes and you will immediately get hooked up

>It was a different time, back then comfy episodes are enough to keep us hooked and now we can feel the nostalgia of it.
As someone who literally started watching the show for the first time ever just last year, starting from the very beginning, I'd say you're just full of shit.

Seeing the cast grow AND letting them grow on you are essential steps in enjoying Gintama. It helps that the show does improve in huge leaps almost every season at first.

>watches Gintama for the serious arcs
Are you kidding me?

80 episodes seen here, it's decent quality overall. There were some very good episodes and nice arcs but overall it's just "fine".

>START
Learn to read, dumbass.

What you wrote has nothing to do with what I said.

not him, but you're still full of shit.
If you want shock and action, pick any other show.

Kek

ThisYou're giving more attention to the cherry rather than the cake though which I think is stupid.

youtube.com/watch?v=QI0kWd1FSwk
>If you want shock and action, pick other show.
Why? I can get that with Gintama, and more.

This pretty much shows that you're the one who is full of shit, first because I never said that I wanted shock and action (nice headcanon your literal idiot) and second because if I want I CAN get that with Gintama.

Inb4: "go watch Berserker o some shit hurr durr"

No, I want to watch Gintama. Also without the serious arcs Gintama would've died out you retard.

Accidentaly erased your reply number, so here your answer

Working shock value requires the audience to first know the cast and preferably form a mental connection with them. See their daily lives, and then get the entire setting turned upside down, crushed in front of them.

I have no idea what kind of a moron would start a show from episode 200-something, just to watch some of the good stuff right away.
I'm not at all against the serious arcs; I found the Benizakura to be a pleasant change of pace, and the 4 Devas still boils my blood to this day. But sweet Jesus, starting with that shit? Fuck off.

You won't understand, I won't even bother, I'm glad that I started with Yoshiwara in Flames, I wouldn't be able to endure this I know it's just a meme but there's some thruth to it, if OP is paciente start from the beginning if not Yoshiwara is a good start.

I'd say 25 eps are the bare minimum for the show to start showing its true colors, and you can obviously skip eps 1 and 2 right off the bat too.

>what am I in for lads?
Fun times lol!