youtu.be/Xg74uIFnfsw
youtube.com/watch?v=WWcOZ3yh8BQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tZaWINhwToo
youtu.be/KcIzR7vWjNc
youtube.com/watch?v=C1o5krVrVf8
youtube.com/watch?v=vQiTReRGN8w
youtu.be/xWl7WbiaE_Y?t=54
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

when she dies they'll replace her with the best imitator they can find, not someone who sounds noticeably different

(s)he is almost definitely already doing uncredited work on games and stuff. who knows maybe they do lines for super. there is already a replacement on the payroll. what is nozawa like 90?

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!

t. Dubfaggot

She's 80. 81 on the 25th.

If I can get used to it so can you.

>Implying
You gotta give her credit. I would love to play the same character for fucking decades until I'm 80.

>have no real connection with Dragon Ball in years
>no bias towards dub or original
>catch a random episode of Super
>that voice

I mean understand this person has a long career and they're very popular but it's like she isn't even trying to do anything with her voice and it's just accepted.

Like she was handed the script of a large, muscular male who is very masculine and told to voice act, and she just talks in her old woman voice with zero effort in masking or altering it. It genuinely just sounds like an old woman just talking into a microphone.

What made it even more jarring is the fact that none of the other voices stood out like that. They all felt more or less appropriate for the characters.

Imagine if Luffy was voiced by a 70 year old chain smoking buff guy who just talked into a microphone normally.

She was better in her prime. Not really a fan of "ATATATATATA" at all. Still have a lot of respect for her though.

Hearing Goku's Japanese voice for the first time was truly one of the most bizarre moments of my life.

Welcome to anime friend.
Half of the males are now voiced by obvious females.
Even the hulking adults and male beastial creatures.
I would tell you to wait for the dubs but they've started to do the same thing in american anime

I went back and watched some old DBZ episodes and she sounds way better there. Old age has really affected her Goku voice.

She sounded terrific in the DBZ era.

Then shut the fuck up and wait 2 years for the dub to catch up faggot

Im so sick of people bitching about the voice everywhere, you don't even notice it at this point if you have been watching the subs for awhile.

It's the voice direction. It's just missing. She can do great shit when they direct her, I mean just look at Goku Black. She was MUCH better back in the 90s but this anime relies heavily on ATATATA and, for some reason, they direct all the voice actors to vocalize each hit. Which didn't really happen in Z. Not to this agree anyway.
youtu.be/qD2Dgck0RAU
youtu.be/ASv-74L0b48
youtu.be/0aP55TeuDGA
youtu.be/o3mg5-DvxAU
youtu.be/Xg74uIFnfsw You'd be hearing a shit ton of ATATATATATA if this were dubbed by Super standards today. Which is weird because
youtube.com/watch?v=WWcOZ3yh8BQ This is the same scene or thereabouts in Kai. They're not having her dub over every hit.
youtube.com/watch?v=tZaWINhwToo This is another Kai one and she doesn't sound as good as she did in Z BUT she still sounds pretty good. A lot better than on Super. I'm pretty sure it's 60% direction, 40% age. She still does character moments for Goku very nicely at least. I guess this is another thing about Super that you can hate. They even manage to make Horikawa sound bad during ATATATATA sequences.

>this agree
this degree.

A R A I
R
A
I

100% This

So don't watch it?

Matsumoto Rica, I guess.

AAAAAAAAAATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHATHA

YATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

Honestly no, It still sounds jarring and weird. It is very definitively feminine and high pitched and sounds strange coming from Goku while, again, the other characters around him sound fitting. I'm coming from a perspective without nostalgia or bias either, I'm just judging the voice relative to the character.

What reason do you have to say that? She sounds the same.

I respectfully disagree with that. I can see where you're coming from but Goku's voice isn't all that feminine. He sounds like a light-hearted hick. Could it stand to be a bit deeper? Yeah, perhaps. But it does fall in line with his man-child character. His voice is just right when he's serious. Out of curiosity, do you take issue with Kuririn's voice as well?

she's great

It's mostly a thing with prepubescent/early teenage males, then they just keep the same actress for them when they grow up rather than recast them. See also: Naruto, Edward Elric.

With Goku in particular I think part of the idea was that while his body matured mentally he was still just a kid.

Ed is a bad example. He was 15 at the start of both series. He is 16 by the end.

youtu.be/KcIzR7vWjNc
>ATATATATATATATATA
>MEUH!
>ATATATAATATATATATA
>HOI!
>MRRRR!
>YOH!
>YAYAYA!
>HARYIAAAAA--
>OOF!
>HRRYAAAAAAA!!

She's a fantastic fit. Got chills when Goku went for the last punch against Jiren.

funnily enough the latest fighting technique goku has learned actually has him shut up and stop yelling as a side effect. he only started yelling again when he ran out of juice to sustain it

are there any photos of what she looked like back when she first started voicing goku?

You mean Faulconer? He already stopped making DB music.

when you kill yourself you piece of shit

>that Oozaru roar
I felt it too. Missed that shit. He actually did it twice which in the special. I dunno if people noticed it the first time.

when was the first time?

This. She was much better during DBZ, I prefer the japanese dub but I don't really like how Nozawa is voicing Goku right now. It's a bit weird though because I think Gohan actually still sounds pretty much the same even after all these years.

Shit like this is why I prefer the (non-English) dubs of Dragon Ball, Naruto and One Piece.

this is honestly one of the few animes where the english dub vastly shits on the original.

just look at this one scene
youtube.com/watch?v=C1o5krVrVf8

More soul, than all that jap shit put together

>sounds strange coming from Goku while

How does Goku "sounds strange" if that's his original voice since DB started?

You know the scene where Whis is postulating on what might've happened with Goku and the Genki Dama? There's a moment where his silhouette is the same one from the previous OP but recolored. Goku does the Oozaru roar again when he swipes the silhouette away and rushes forward but his body is blackened. See pic related. It's late into the special. It's like a little teaser roar, almost sounds more like a lion's. Then we get the real thing for the final clash.

huh. I did miss that. I must have mistaken it for a 'wooshing' movement sfx

People always criticize Nozawa for voicing Goku, but I don't remember anyone ever criticizing pic related.

Schemmel is great in Super but he and the script still miss the simple things about Goku's character. He doesn't have "more soul" or anything like that. It's just preference. Goku is a hick straight out of nowhere and still talks like that. He speaks broken Japanese and his inflections refer that. This isn't a knock on Schemmel though, it's just the script. They couldn't do it without giving him a southern accent and that wouldn't be right either. I think Schemmel puts his all into it, especially nowadays. The same could be said for Nozawa. But by and large, the Japanese script preserves Goku's identity and that's an important part of what ultimately makes their performances. Both range from good to incredible thanks to Kai, but they're still playing pretty different characters.

>Using the same voice actor for a male child and a male adult without changing a thing

That's because his voice was great.

they should have given goku an australian accent from day 1

She did change her pitch. Are you deaf?

...af, Washizu Iwao?

You mean
>ATATATATATATATATATAATAATAT
>HIYA
>YATATATATATATATATATA
>AAAAAAAAAAAHHHTATATATATATATATA
>HOU
>HURIYAAAAAAA

Kenshin is a skinny, "feminine" lad so nobody talks shit about it. It can work with him, Kurama, Shun from Saint Seiya. But Goku has muscles so of course he can't sound like the manchild hick he is.
This is wrong, actually. Adult Goku's voice is considerably different from his voice as a child. Compare this: youtube.com/watch?v=vQiTReRGN8w to anything from

That would've been funny as shit. Now I wanna hear that. Not from Schemmel though, he can't do accents well.

Already used to it no problem for me.

Roughly like this. youtu.be/xWl7WbiaE_Y?t=54 She had already been in the business since the 60s.

By the way, you can hear her regular speaking voice early on and she does some of her voices at the time at 4 minutes. One of them includes (child) Goku.

Since when is it popular to hate her?

Since dub-only people decided to watch Super. Some realize how much was changed in their Saturday morning cartoon version of the show but the majority resist watching the series the way it's supposed to be. So they shit on her.

Super has been airing for over two years now, you'd figure they would get used to it by now.

People are gonna bitch regardless. Plus they're basically jumping into this without context as to why characters have the voices they do, etc. I remember people complaining about Yajirobe and Kuririn having the same voice actress when that's supposed to be a point. It was a point in the manga even. But the dub did that scene totally differently.

a plot point*

Exactly. They'll probably just have the person voicing Luffy to voice Goku.

Hey, I wish that the Japanese VA of All-Might would voice Goku, but I know it'll never happen. The Japanese are just too accustomed to listening to a high-pitched Goku now and many would find it disrespectful if they were to replace Goku with someone who's got a lower-pitched voice than her.

I unironically like that Nozawa's Goku sounds like a shrieking monkey with a Japanese accent

>They'll probably just have the person voicing Luffy to voice Goku.
you mean the VA for Krillin? Unlikely.