Why do animes only usually last 2 seasons?

Why do animes only usually last 2 seasons?

because most are shit, and don't deserve it. The only good anime out there is shounen like Gintama.

>animes
Fuck off.

why would an anime need to last more than 2 seasons
the vast majority of stories don't need to be so long

>2 seasons

>Why do animes only usually last 2 seasons?
Because sequels make less money for the majority of franchises. And unless you get a mega-hit, the estimated drop-off meant it is no longer viable to pay for more to be made.

More importantly, for the same amount of money, you can use it to pay for a new series rather than continue with a less profitable sequel.

...At least that was the logic.

But you might have noticed that in the last year or so, multiple old shows are getting sequels. This is because sponsors are getting scared about new shows bombing, in tough economic times. And that meant sequels of old favourites end up being a safer return on investment. You will earn less, but you are less worried about not having fans. This is why the final Full Metal Panic anime is being produced.

Nice post user. I find it strange that so many shitty western cartoons get up to 15 seasons while actual good Anime gets only one or two. I guess its more expensive and etc.

I LOVE KOBAYASHI RAWR

Most anime only get a single season. Most anime also usually only get one cour, not two, which is what you actually meant to say but are too ignorant to have known better.

>This is because sponsors are getting scared about new shows bombing, in tough economic times.
Japan has paved its own road to ruin by insulating itself in a barrier of economic fear. I guess this means we can at least hope for a few extra seasons of various, otherwise one-off shows.

Tohru, settle.

>animes
Fuck off, dragon dyke lover.

>Japan has paved its own road to ruin by insulating itself in a barrier of economic fear.
This is no different from contemporary Hollywood shitting out sequel after reboot after remake and adapting comic books.

Also explains a lot of video games getting remastered these days.

Delete yourself lizard

>2 seasons

we wish

Yuri needs to be stopped.

Because G-d hates you personally most of all

>animes
>tumblr gif
>reddit spacing
>ellipses
Lurk for 2 years before posting.

Check'd

>Nice post user. I find it strange that so many shitty western cartoons get up to 15 seasons while actual good Anime gets only one or two. I guess its more expensive and etc.
That's because in the West, TV stations pay for shows to be made. The studios don't care about how many people are watching, as long as the TV station pay them upfront. Tv stations and cable networks control how long sequels are produced.

With Anime, airing shows on TV is an expense, not earnings. The TV station is happy to air as many seasons as the studio is willing to pay THEM. And as such, the anime studio more more likely the Production committee, had to determine if a sequel is worth their time. Note once again, the focus is on opportunity costs; if they pay for a sequel that meant some OTHER show isn't getting funded.

and movies

some stories are also doomed to deteriorate after the story is effectively over

>animes

I didn't actually know it worked like that in Japan. How do the studios actually get most of their income then if they're the ones paying for everything? Is it all DVD, merchandise and advertisements?

>animes

>Shit talk how shows work.
>Doesn't actually know how shows work.
Amazing

>animes
And what do you mean? The majority have one season.

>I didn't actually know it worked like that in Japan. How do the studios actually get most of their income then if they're the ones paying for everything? Is it all DVD, merchandise and advertisements?
Well, first you start with the "Production Committee".This is a mix of Corporations and fund managers. The Corporations are either music studios wanting to promote their own singers, Publishers who own IP of books/manga they want to promote, or corporations that make merchandise.

Rarely, anime studios are in the Committee as well.

Every member of the Commitee either put in money in the pot, or offer services like singers and music production. And how much money you put in related to how big of a cut in profits you get.

The Mutual Fund managers, of which there are only less than six in Japan that fund ALL anime, Are usually the ones who get the largest cut of profits. In general 1 cour cost more or less at 2.5 million US dollars.

Assuming the anime studio is not part of the committee, the Commitee contracts an anime studio to make the show for them with a fixed sum payment. In this case the anime studio doesn't get anything more than that fixed sum, even if the show is a massive hit like Girls Und Panzer. This was why Studio Actas had to be rescued from Bankruptcy because they ended up losing money making GuP.

After the show is made, and released on TV while paying the TV stations world wide for the privilege, the Committee music label then make bank selling OSTs and image songs and whatever. Toy manufacturers also make their nendroids and plamoo and beach towels. The revenue is then shared out to each member of the Commitee, proportional to their original input at the start. And this payout continue for years for each merchandise and disc re-release.

For anime studios that aren't in the Committee, they would have since moved on to get other work. The money will keep trickling in for the original investors, which is the whole point with mutual fund managing.

Is there really no way to help those studios then? Are they here just to suffer?

>Nationwide, sorry.

>animes
Kill yourself.

>Is there really no way to help those studios then? Are they here just to suffer?
Studios are free to put their own heads on the chopping block by paying their share in the committee. KyoAni does this recently with Dragon Maid. The up side is that if the show is successful, they get to profit from it. The down side is that if the show bombed, they don't get their money back. Gonzo ended up dying after paying for multiple shows that didn't work out.

The advantage of being a pure contractor, is that even if the anime sucked, you still get paid in full. This is how some many bad anime studios keep getting employment. Their work sucks, but they are not the ones eating the losses.

This is all really interesting. Very good post user I'll keep this.

>""""reddit spacing""""
Do you know what a paragraph is?
>complains about "ellipses" and proper grammar
Yet somehow manages to spell ellipsis incorrectly.
Piss off.

they run out of material to adapt. due to the habit of taking the best parts of the story, and skipping/cutting the rest.
when an anime is made they take the safer route of ASSUMING that there will be no sequel. with this in mind, they try to cover as much of the story as possible, and end on a climax. therefore, a large portion of the story is skipped or cut out. in the event that there is a sequel, there is a struggle to find enough new story material to adapt. as a result, there is less editing and pruning the second time around, which results in a lower quality anime.
at this point most manga will be wrapping up, due to the writer being out of ideas, so there is no season 3. most series will not succeed at maintaining popularity and freshness for longer than this. manga and otakushit suffers from bad writing overall and the series and interest in series is driven by imaginative and unexpected premises. once the obvious twists and turns of these premises get explored fully, the writer cannot find a logical way to advance the plot and continue developing the characters. its easier to invent a new wacky premise than to continue exploring an old one.

You are correct, but Hollywood is directly subsidized by the world's second leading economy. Japan on the whole can't compete despite participating in the same practices. The whole world in on the same slide into ruin, but some are just higher up along the mountainside than others, I guess. It shows in Japan a lot, though (i.e. the soulless salaried workforce). In that regard, it's not just a matter of economic policy, but also culture.

You can't delete my wife.

>berates people to read the rules
>lists a bunch of shit that isnt mentioned anywhere in the rules

This stuff should be common knowledge around here by now, especially with all the hubbub that Kemono Friends has been making. That franchise has really sort of ripped open the workings of anime production and studio/publisher control. Then again, if anybody followed the Kojima/Konami episodes, then they would have already known that this is how things work in Japan. That particular scenario is also why I don't understand how anybody thought that the KF protests would do anything beyond just "raise awareness." Studio/publisher control is god's word in anime production. It's why popular directors like Tatsuki can get thrown off his flagship project at the height of its world-wide appeal and why animators starve.

>defending anything listed in that post
lurk more, retard

>That particular scenario is also why I don't understand how anybody thought that the KF protests would do anything beyond just "raise awareness."
The thing is that we all know Kadokawa has the right to kick the studio out, the point is that it is bad for everyone to do it.

Just as Bandai COULD hire some other studio to make more GuP, they didn't HAVE to save Actas. But Bandai is smarter than Kadokawa in knowing never to spoil a good thing. If a studio is doing a good job, you keep them doing what they are doing. Playing hardball just meant everyone loses.

A paragraph is more than 1-2 sentences like what you are writing before double spacing for no particular reason. "Ellipses" is correct in that it (most likely correctly) assumes that if you dropped one ellipsis willy-nilly in a random Sup Forums post, you probably use them inappropriately on a regular basis (they don't really have any purpose in a non-fiction or discussion-based setting). You'll get a pass because you're contributing well to the thread, but learn to write like a normal human being.

>You'll get a pass because you're contributing well to the thread, but learn to write like a normal human being.
I am the guy who wrote all that about the Commitees, I don't have the patient to respond to trolls in general. Nice of the other guy to defend me though.

>Playing hardball just meant everyone loses.
True, they are taking that risk, but investors and big-shots probably thought it worthwhile since KF was making SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY at the cost of basically nothing. They were probably looking to squash the up-and-comers before they could find their own power niche. Maybe that's assuming too much, but I wouldn't put it past the decrepit money-mummies at the top. It's despicable and positively confounding from the outside-in, but ultimately it's entirely their right, so there isn't anything to do but "raise awareness" and maybe do a boycott thing or something if one cares enough.

>True, they are taking that risk, but investors and big-shots probably thought it worthwhile since KF was making SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY at the cost of basically nothing. They were probably looking to squash the up-and-comers before they could find their own power niche.
It is just basic error in corporate politics. People in the higher tiers don't watch anime, why would they? So they didn't see the harm in getting rid of the studio that single-handedly resurrect dead franchise, because they didn't realise the IP was dead without them.

Raising awareness is good. We are not telling Kadokawa to lose money or anything. The goal had always been to make sure the 2nd season is a massive success, so everyone wins.

DOES

THIS

UPSET

YOU

?

Humans will desperately cling onto any small scrape of hope no matter how futile it is.

Season 3 will come user you just gotta believe.

I'll cling to your fat tail.

Maybe you should watch good anime instead

In between anime fans being notorious for media piracy and a majority of new(and old) shows being blatant lonely viewer-insert wish fulfillment and/or hordes of moe blobs with varying degrees of sugar coating, I'm not too surprised that most anime make it to two seasons.

Not to mention those types of stories wear out their welcome rather fast once the harem is collected and qt 3.14 waifu has been acquired. I want to say that it's shocking how much girl-mongering makes up anime as a whole, but with the whole birth-rate decline and that one embarrassing adult virtual reality con that got cancelled due to over-crowding, it makes a lot of sense. I want some crazy rich guy to get a rage boner about these issues and try to fund a good anime studio or make a production company to try to recruit manga writers and produce their anime with American studio funding methods.

>Dragon world is just castles and forests.
>Human world is full of technology
>Dragons think humans are beneath them
>These dragons sleep in caves

Pardon me, but perhaps the maid aught to figure that the limitations of the human form are more than compensated for by human intelligence.

>In between anime fans being notorious for media piracy
Do you missed my post about how anime studios PAY money to air anime on free to air TV? They do this because if they don't, the franchise fails. If people record the broadcast and share it online, that is just doing the stuido's work for free.

>animes

>trolls
Lurk 2 years before posting.

Now, I'm not the most informed on the subject, but it seems to me that profits for a franchise come from merchandise and online streaming services like Clunchylorr. In an already shaky, isolationist economy like Japan's manga/anime scene seems to be, wouldn't it be a very hard blow to the studio wallet if much fewer of your over-priced DVDs or books weren't selling, say, because they're being pirated?

>Pardon me, but perhaps the maid aught to figure that the limitations of the human form are more than compensated for by human intelligence.
We are talking about dragons capable of inter-dimensional travel, reconstruction of destroyed objects at the atomic level, and effectively Replicator technology. Touru's capabilities would have impressed Star Trek civilizations. Her portal is not just for crossing dimensions, but effectively intergalactic travel as well. That's not including how she is a planet-killer power wise.

>Now, I'm not the most informed on the subject, but it seems to me that profits for a franchise come from merchandise and online streaming services like Clunchylorr.
The streaming service is a tiny part of the profits. Anime survive without streaming before, it can survive now.

>In an already shaky, isolationist economy like Japan's manga/anime scene seems to be, wouldn't it be a very hard blow to the studio wallet if much fewer of your over-priced DVDs or books weren't selling, say, because they're being pirated?
By that argument, they should stop airing anime on TV and just sell discs without airing them. And then they go bankrupt as they knew they would, if they followed your idea.

All her abilities are magical in nature. Dragons have no technology.

>humans are so pathetic they need technology to survive

>animes

Streaming is pretty much just a newer form of income and I assumed it was the least dependable form of income for them. Thus the other forms of income, merchandise and copies of the anime/manga.

>By that argument
I never said a thing about ceasing airing on TV! Don't put words in my mouth, please. The only idea I put forth was the hopeful wish that someone with money would throw some poor but talented rights owners enough cash to avoid needing to hire shit staff. Ideally, that random improbably act would prevent another Berserk 2016-2017.

That's not even a serious idea. Just a fantasy. I know they need the TV airing to get their product out in the eyes of the public but if they have to pay the TV stations to air it, how are they making money aside from using merchandise and copies of the anime?

Limitation leads to innovation. Yes we need technology to survive. If we didn't, we wouldn't be smart in the first place. Evolution would not have allowed us to keep our power hungry brains if they didn't combine with our useless bodies in just the right way to allow for technology to be developed, which in turn enabled humanity to thrive. A race like the dragons would never exist in real life. They'd be like lions or something. Just smart enough to catch food, because that's all they need to survive.

Compared to magic that allows effective interdimensional travel and 3D printing? Yeah. We only thrived like we did because nothing that was sentient, more fit and more ruthless showed up while we were developing as a species and society.

>What are neanderthals

Oh yeah, I forgot about the other subspecies we crushed to get to where we are... Good call, user. Thanks for the reminder!

My mistake

>we

Neither you, nor I, had anything to do with it.

lurk more faggot

And yet everyone knows that YOU'RE the bellend.

>master1200

For the love of fucking god kill yourself.

Oh, you know what I meant, you nit-picking giga faggot. The current species of humans descended from the successful tribes of humans that destroyed then outbred their enemies.

Man, you apologize for a mistake and thank someone and all you get is nit-picking! Humanity is scum these days, surely!

What you mean to say does not always align with what you say. Such deviances must be corrected for proper conversation to occur.

They don't pay for tv slot, the tv channel is invited to production committee and they air it for piece of future profit, that's why every time someone actually pay for that slot anime is delayed.

We are all steadily failing biological machines under the mercy of hormones as well as the whims and temptations they provide. Striving for ideals is great but holding others to impossible standards will only seek to leave you lonely. Get over your flawed perfectionism, conversational or not.

We're only human, but wanting to be more than you are is a part of human nature. Besides, communicating via language is also a human thing.

I thought Maid Dragon was just the next meme anime, but holy shit I'm glad I finally watched it. I don't know how to explain it, but watching any episode instantly improved my mood.

Dub or sub?

Like I said, I'll admit I'm not the most well-informed on the anime/manga production scene but even still, my other points stand. Merchandise and copies are a decent source of revenue that anybody who doesn't watch the channel it's on or isn't in the same country has no access to but piracy isn't going to go away and only gets easier as net speeds increase. People don't want to buy the ridiculously over-priced DVDs or books as much if they've seen it's contents online.

Not saying it's a writer/artist ender but it certainly doesn't help.

Sub of course. I actually remember seeing a thread saying that the dub script has oddly placed feminist lines or some shit

Yeah, but you seem to be operating under the assumption that everyone is striving to improve in the same areas. What you see as very important isn't the same for others and that causes the dissonance between grammar nazis, spelling/punctuation perfectionists and everyone else. I'm not going to regret the minor mistake in conversation I made beyond a moment's notice and most won't even do that.

Your efforts are in vain.

I certainly does change things around when it comes to Lucoa's dialogue. I've not seen other examples of dialogue being changed by feminists.

You talking about this?

My motive for bringing it up was not entirely based on obsession with grammar and punctuation. I was offended that your wording could be taken as saying that you and I had a direct hand in the genocide of the only other intelligent species to evolve on earth.

>animes
>Tumblr GIFs
Where are the mods?

That's pretty much the only example I know of.

why the fuck did you post it like this?

This is the original I saved. The user who first found it is probably retarded.

I love how triggered Sup Forums gets about "animes."
Are you all 'that guy' in your social group who goes ACKKSHHUUALLYYY and starts autistically screeching when one of your friends calls a dragon ball character by their english name?

>social group
user...

>Discussing anime irl
>Watching Dragonball shit
Fuck off. Animes is a sign of complete newfaggotry

Sounds more like how to trigger Sup Forums crossboarders

>animes

>I was offended that your wording could be taken as saying that you and I had a direct hand in the genocide of the only other intelligent species to evolve on earth.

So let me get this straight... You're offended that what I said could be taken as something else. Misinterpreted, if you will. That means you know what I meant, which is why I said, you know what I meant you giga faggot. You know, the thing you say when you don't say something properly minus the childish insult, of course. So, we both knew what I meant and you don't think that continuing to gripe about it is a bit excessive? So what we're dealing with is just you trying to have some kind of pissing match with conversational skill? If so, I'm not interested.

Even when I'm posting on an anime board on my day off, I have better things to do than compare dicks with someone who wants the world to have a max level speech skill. Miscommunication has been at least the third leading cause of discord in humanity behind desire for resources/land and simple, hateful us vs. them attitudes and it's not going to get any better until we all join a hivemind permanently. I don't see why you strive so hard for a currently impossible goal.

>2017
>still hasn't rejected your humanity
Weakling

>having a social group
>having friends
>caring about dragonball z

fuckoff newfag

Tell me how you became a machine and I'll be joining you.