Best ghibli movie?

Best ghibli movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RpxXeNakyfY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not a ghibli movie

Worse than the manga by several orders of magnitude

And the manga is worse than the doujin series.

Dunno if it's objectively the best but this one has a special place in my heart.

>Worse than the manga by several orders of magnitude
I agree, but it doesn't make the movie bad by any means imo, it's just a shorter adaptation of a part of the story.

Kiki and Whisper of the Heart are my favourites.

you mean the one where nausicaa has an insect baby

no one cares about terrible studio hibari

Damn right.

Watching this as a spanish speaker just isn't the same.

Mononoke Hime or Spirited Away obviously, anything else is a pretentious attempt to hold a contrarian "unique" opinion for the sake of it with no arguments to back it up

Mononoke Hime has a real shot at being the best, however Spirited Away, while good is overrated. For me I get the most enjoyment out of Kiki's delivery service. I won't say it is the best but whenever I watch it I can't help but smile

>they never showed her getting along with Tombo's friends

>ghibli movie
>good

This is the one I enjoyed the most too.

>God-tier
Grave of the Fireflies
Kiki
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Kaguya

>Good-tier
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Nausica
Totoro
Spirited Away
Mononoke Hime
Wind Rises

>Okay-tier
Moving Castle
Castle in the Sky

>Pleb-tier
Ponyo

Kiki was the first Ghibli film I ever watched as a kid and will always have a huge nostalgia factor for me. It's still a wonderful little story that can make you feel happy. It also reminds me of my childhood black cat that died of cat cancer.

Why do you think those are the best movies?

>Grave of the Fireflies
explain what makes it so great, to me it seemed like a bunch of nothing

>scenery : Porco Rosso
>characters : Howl's
>story : Nausicaa
>fun things are fun : Laputa, Ponyo, Kiki

Move Castle in the Sky up one tier and then I can agree with you

>porco rosso
>not god-tier
go away

>Wind Rises not god tier
inb4 BUT MUH ANNO

Porco Rosso has great animation and artistic values, but is barely half a movie.

Not really.
Specially when the manga exists.

>Holy Trinity tier
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Tale of the Princess Kaguya

>Great tier
Laputa
Totoro
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
The Wind Rises

>Good tier
Grave of the Fireflies
Kiki's Delivery Service

>Meh tier
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle

>Pleb tier
Earthsea
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill

>Didn't watch tier
Marnie

Kiki is the most comfy anime ever made. Perfect for a rainy afternoon.

>Bunch of nothing
What the fuck does that even mean. I think It's an very emotional movie, based on a real history with fantastic visuals. I think that the reactions, behavior and feelings of the characters are portrayed in a very genuine way, with a level of nuance that's rarely seen in anime. Takahata doesn't pull any punches, nor it sugarcoats anything directing the movie. I've to say that the setting helps my love for the film as well, since I'm a sucker for WWII movies and the film, through amazing scenery and animation, manages to create a atmosphere that really pulls you in to the story and into that time period.
But of course the main reason me and most people like this movie is because it's incredibly sad and soul crushing, especially when you know that's based on the actual experiences that the writer of the novel had.

>Mononoke and Spirited Away
Why God. Why people think so highly of these two when there's several Ghibli movies with better plot.

>Bunch of nothing
How it was a bunch of nothing?

Post war Japan is always a mix bag for me. On one hand it is really sad what happened, however on the other all I can say is "You kinda had this coming". I know that the Takeshi Japanese guy didn't have much to do with who WW2 went down, but Japan as a whole needs to stop acting like they didn't get what was coming to them. When you mess with the big dog don't be upset when you get piece taken out of you.

>plot
literally who fucking cares

>usa
>the big dog

The problem here is that you are bringing things into the discussion that they themselves never did. Firstly because Grave of Fireflies isn't even an anti-war movie, as Takahata said It numerous times, It's more of a criticism to Japanese mentality and behavior, specifically speaking the mentality and behavior of current Japan rather than post-war Japan, than anything else.

None of Miyazaki or Takahata films blame US or try to portray Japan as the poor guy in the story, quite the contrary, they blame Japan for the shit that happened. It seems to me that you take this from their movies because you have that in your head already, and projects it on their stories.

They're pure magic. I put on Spirited Away when I'm too stressed out to fall asleep. Ponyo is nice for bedtime too.

Also, about this ''when you miss with the big dog'', I don't know if you are aware of the fact that US was fucking with Japan economically, similar to how it's doing with North Korea now, much before Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.

It has been a while since I have seen the movie so it isn't fresh in my mind.I just default to anything Japanese about WW2 going with the whole "poor Japan, why did the US bomb us, we didn't do anything" plot line that most media takes. I will need to rewatch the movie, if what you say is true then it should be rather insightful. It is rare to so a sober Japanese take on the post war period that doesn't paint them as poor victims.

In English, please.

Do they keep the name as is or is it changed to something different?

There is a lot of wrong doing to go around on both sides. All I am trying to say is that for the most part Japan likes to act like the US bomb them out of nowhere and they didn't do anything to warrant such action.

"La Puta" translates to "the whore" in spanish

They named it "Castle in the sky", but throughout the movie the name is heard plenty of times, with hillarious results.

I agree with you that the western media generally portrays Japan as the poor guy, but surprisingly enough, Japan itself rarely does that. They have a strong culture of taking responsibility for the shit that happens to them.
It may seem to you that Japan is portrayed as the poor guy on GoF because of how sad and miserable everything in the story is, but really, that was simply reality. It's just what happened, without pulling any punches or sugarcoating like I said. But displaying Japan as the victim in the story was not even close to being Takaha's intention.

I think it's pretty impossible to pick a best, but I'd do it like:

>masterpiece
My Neighbour Totoro
Only Yesterday

>excellent
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbours the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Wind Rises

>great
Ponyo
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

>good
Ocean Waves
Howl's Moving Castle

I think that covers everything worth watching, rest I don't care to mention.

I liked Howl's better than Totoro.
Just saying

Yeah I know which is why I wondered if they changed the name in the dub to something different or kept it.

There will ever be a anime studio with so many great movies? I'm not even a Ghibli fanboy, but other studios can't even compare in terms of cinema.

On that note, anyone read the book Howl's was adapted from? Dianna Wynn Jones (now is kill.) Started reading the second book of the series but it isn't about the same characters. Not even the same setting. Feels like a cheap thousand and one nights rip-off. Guess she peaked with Howl's.

Howl's is objectively better than Totoro on every metric. Setting, art direction, characters, story, enjoyment, sound, you name it. Totoro fags are just nostalgiafags.

Ghibli had the two (arguably) greatest directors in anime working there, one of them rather prolifically. It's very tough to beat that legacy, given that many good directors aren't tied to studios, and that film is (unfortunately) often secondary to TV.

I never cared for the film that much and preferred the book.

Yeah, I didn't care for how little she described the locations or fights but the core of the story was there. Would have loved to see Ghibli's adaptation of the Howl vs Witch of the Waste battles, the Witch's castle, and the time/dimension travel where Howl goes through the black door into our world and gives his nephew magic PC games.

Porco Rosso. The gorgeous animation, especially any of the flying scenes, the sense of adventure, fun "villains", and a protagonist that hits close to home. It also has the perfect ending (and ending song).

youtube.com/watch?v=RpxXeNakyfY

Spirited Away is probably second, though.

Raputa>howl's>spirited=mononoke=kiki=totoro=the-one-op-posted

Wind Rises was as boring as watching paint dry.

P O P P Y H I L L

>getting along
that's a funny way to spell gangbanged

>>God-tier
>Grave of the Fireflies

>WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AUNTIE WANTS ME TO WORK WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MY DAD AND MOM DIED WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IM A WEAK LITTLE WHINY FAGGOT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
shit film

While I love Porco Rosso, to me it always felt like a introduction of something bigger to come, I wish they made Porco Rosso 2 as the rumors said.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

Fuck off with that.

I'm of the opinion that Miyazaki is on my point in one of his criticism to the anime industry, about people nowadays taking anime as a inspiration to make anime, instead of using real life and genuine experiences as their base. However, I don't think that's a problem exclusive to anime, it actually affects every media as far as I'm concerned. Because of the huge amount of entertainment to consume that exists today, and since the 80's, compared to when Miyazaki was young, many people will have most of their influences shaped by those said entertainments, rather than by genuine experiences.
Take Hollywood as an example. Hollywood is so famous, influential and has been around for such a long time, that its tropes, the way the characters behave in their movies and so on, are taken as reality nowadays. When you see typical hollywood tropes now, It's simply the machine playing itself, it's how things should be in the minds of many people, similar to anime tropes that are retarded and don't make much sense, but have been around for such a long time, and influenced so many people, that they are now taken as simply how things should be, they are taken as granted.
This shit affects even books. If you read a novel by an older author, born around 50 or before, you will instantly see firstly how older writers were generally better in grammatical terms, but more than that, they were infinitely superior in portraying nuance and genuine emotions on their works. You will clearly notice that whereas most today's writers seem to base their stories/characters on stereotypes which were created in their heads by the different medium, and in the case of the 00's the internet too, they were exposed to, older writers seem to base their works on reality itself, actual reality and not stereotypes.

I think that's hard for current anime directors to be as good as Miyazaki and Takahata were for this very reason. They were a product of their time.

Have you read Turning Point? You'd dig it.

ay man fuck you i like ponyo

PR2 is one of those movies I'm totally fine with never being made, because I think the first is perfect as a standalone film - with the adventure, Porco's character arc, the time period, etc.

However, I'd be lying if I wouldn't also be over the fucking moon if it actually did get made.

>Only Yesterday
>not god tier

Totoro and Fireflies definitely have the most psychological nuance which is what I value so they're my favorite.
I liked Totoro so much as a kid I had a nervous breakdown in the middle of blockbuster when we returned it.
That was the beginning of my autism.

I agree about GoT, but can you explain to me why you think Totoro has more psychological nuance than other Ghibli films? Not that I disagree it has nuance, but I'm surprised that you think it has more than any of their other films.

GoF*

Yeah I don't get why people watch Fireflies as an anti-war movie. It's more like a fairy tale that takes place in reality.

Kono Sekai no Katsumi ni did something similar except with a main character who wanted to live in a fairy tale and suffered for it just like the siblings in Fireflies.

One that you can delete from your HD to open up space for that umpteenth rewatch of DBGT

I wouldn't call it exactly a Fairy tale considering that most of It is biographical, the author just changed a few things in the story, but according to him, Setsuko's death and the ending are almost exactly how it happened in reality.

But I think I get where you are coming from about being a Fairy Tale. Seita and Setsuko running away, making their own home and trying to live on their own, far away from everyone, from every responsibility and especially from the war, is certainly an allusion to escapism. I'd say it's more like the characters tried to live a Fairy Tale, but got fucked because they are actually living reality.

Sure. Totoro is not only the perfect children's movie but the perfect movie *about* childhood in my opinion.

The sisters and father move to the country to get closer to nature and for their mother's health. Children can see and immediately accept the existence of Totoro (magic in the world) but adults cannot perceive him. There's sort of an implicit connection between nature and their mother's sickness (and potential death) present in the film in my opinion. Sort of like how the forest spirit in Mononoke was responsible for both giving and taking life. Totoro similarly represents these natural processes, and children's simultaneous innocence and wisdom about them.

There's a popular theory that Totoro is in fact a shinigami and the film is in fact about the Sasebo slashings but I don't give this much credence. I do think however there is something in the film that would attract analysis like that.

Oh yes definitely agree. There are also sort of magic though too wouldn't you say? The fireflies, the bombs, the candy, the evil aunt, they're all given the exact weight of fairy tale tropes. The siblings definitely suffer for their retreat into fantasy but in a way their deaths are no worse than anything else they've endured.
From Ebert:
>There are ancient Japanese cultural currents flowing beneath the surface of “Grave of the Fireflies,” and they’re explained by critic Dennis H. Fukushima Jr., who finds the story’s origins in the tradition of double-suicide plays. It is not that Seita and Setsuko commit suicide overtly, but that life wears away their will to live. He also draws a parallel between their sheltering cave and hillside tombs.

great list

I see. I agree with you on many points.
I always perceived Totoro as a allusion to how children are able to see magic and wonder on things because the way they see reality isn't so set in stone yet, whereas adults have preconceived notions about everything and about how the world is supposed to work, so they wouldn't believe in magic even if they saw it.
Yeah, I do agree with you. The author even kind of confirmed(or he was the one who said it?), that part about the double-suicide play. Takahata said It as well.

>but in a way their deaths are no worse than anything else they've endured.
For sure. See pic related.

Really inconsistent animation, ass pull bullshit plot, music aged horrible, flat characters, poor direction.

>I agree with you on many points.
If you disagree on anything I'd love to have my reading challenged.
>I always perceived Totoro as a allusion...
My thoughts exactly but you gave them eloquence.

That's an excellent interview. In some ways the most fairy tale aspect of it was that Seita got to die with his sister and together they haunt Kobe as happy ghosts. That as much as anything would be the author's (and our) fantasy vision of death (which I also sort of believe Totoro is in part but feel free to challenge me there). Thanks for posting it.

I agree with a lot of criticism directed at Nausicaa (it's not as good as Castle of Cagliostro or Future Boy Conan) but I'd still contend it has one of the best opening credits sequences in animated cinema.

>music aged
I don't care about your other criticism, but this is retarded. Music doesn't age.

Bad popular music does, but that's beside the point because the Nausicaa score isn't bad. I'm sure someone like Hanz Zimmer's scores will have aged poorly in 40 years, and if you go back and watch a movie from the 40s, a lot of them had music in Every. Fucking. Scene, even where not needed. That didn't age well at all.

Chapter 4 when?

>plot
Plot isn't that important in visual media, my dude.

It's not the ontological requirement some people make it to be, but if it's there it certainly should be more than window dressing.

> In some ways the most fairy tale aspect of it was that Seita got to die with his sister and together they haunt Kobe as happy ghosts
That's one my favorite part of the film. It illustrates the memory of the ancestors, which affects, influences and shapes who we are and how we think, and remains within us and on our land, even if don't care or realize It.
I see it as a reminder to not forget how we got here and so that we can learn from our past. Taking the good things from it, and learning from the mistakes.

>That's an excellent interview.
There's more of it. I'll be posting all parts(6 pages) here, since I take that no only you, but many people would like to read it.
It's not that bad popular music ages, it's just that it was never good to begin with and only got its fame through external factors.
> had music in Every. Fucking. Scene, even where not needed.
That's different. What you are saying is that you dislike the editing and directing when it comes to music in films from the 40's, not that the scores themselves aged poorly. Like I said, music doesn't age. Chopin was good 200 years ago, and it continues to be good now. The only thing that changes are our preconceptions about some aspects of music, but the quality of the music itself never changes.

This is more retarded than saying that music doesn't matter in visual, because while music complements and enhances the experience, the plot is literally THE experience. The plot is what will be shown to you on screen. If what is being shown on the screen is uninteresting, doesn't matter how well filmed or well animated it is, the overall experience will be lackluster.
No matter how well I depict the scene of someone eating breakfast, in the end, it's just someone eating breakfast. It's trivial, non interesting, unimaginative and doesn't work without prior or post context.

Actually, the visuals are what's shown on the screen. Like, literally. There's no way around that in animation, it's the sole fundamental requirement. That doesn't excuse shoddy writing, mind you. But your argument doesn't make sense.

That's the last one.
How do we decide what will be shown on the screen, genius? Through plot. What's shown on the screen is nothing more than the plot of the story. Visuals without plot are nothing more than random nonsense. Hence my example about eating breakfast.

>That's one my favorite part of the film. It illustrates the...
Agreed.
>That's different. What you are saying is that...
That's a fair point. I'll concede.

Thanks for posting these scans. Will read when I wake up.

Animation can be non-narrative.

>GOAT
Mononoke
Kaguya

>Great
Only Yesterday
Yamadas
Spirited Away
Totoro
Kiki's
Pom Poko
Arrietty
Nausicaa (not Ghibli)

>Good
Fireflies
Ponyo
Marnie
Whisper of the Heart
Ocean Waves
Laputa
The Wind Rises

>Just Alright
Porco Rosso

>Meh
Howl's Moving Castle
Poppy Hill

>Shit
Earthsea

Anyone who doesn't put Whisper of the Heart in top 3 needs a swift slap.

Arietty is overrated garbage aswell.

In facts visuals are just floating shapes and blobs of color without your brain's ability to connect them in a coherent narrative and attribute meaning to them. Like literally.

How do you make a one hour or more movie without some sort of narrative? I'm not saying you can't do it, but all the ''plotless'' animations that I watched until now were extremely uninteresting aside from having some kind of momentary entertainment value.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that narrative is extremely important to tell any kind of story. The only visual medium where plot is not that important are still images, paintings. And even then, there's what said.

Okay?

Yeah agreed. Even Angel's Egg which many would describe as a moving painting still had a cogent narrative, which is why it was memorable.

I didn't say it wasn't important, just that it's not primary. Story matters for narrative works, but it's not "the experience."