Sup Forums BTFO by the west?

>the highest-grossing anime movie ever: over $350M worldwide
>a cultural phenomenon in its own country
>loved and meme'd to death by Japan, weebs, and the international press
>will soon get a live-action Hollywood remake by J.J. Abrams of all people

VS

>barely-an-hour-long movie that flopped at the box office
>not even its own country cared about it
>made no impact whatsoever among the general public; only loved by snobby critics
>Hollywood doesn't even know it exists

Guess which one got an Oscar nomination?

Other urls found in this thread:

latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-unmasking-oscar-academy-project-20120219-story.html
fictionpress.com/s/3206139
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/75th_Academy_Awards
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-01-27/.111446
theguardian.com/film/2016/dec/14/bafta-changes-rules-to-increase-diversity-in-awards-and-membership
cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>only loved by snobby critics

So the Oscar judges?

>He pays attention to the academy

The Academy has always valued stop motion fr more than actual animation. This goes all the way back to the original King Kong.

>caring about the oscars, emmys, or any of the other elitist circlejerks

>the oscars is a divine event which has the ultimate authority on good movies

see jackie chan movies. Yes may have close to no acting range but he movies are pure entertainment

If anything it's the Academy which should be embarassed.

Do the Oscars care about Japan in any way? Is it even world wide? I dont care about it enough to know.

Oscars are decided by about 6,000 people that work in the American movie industry. They are predominantly white and median age is over 60. That answers your question.

latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-unmasking-oscar-academy-project-20120219-story.html

Spirited away got an Oscar in '03 so a little

FPBP

That was due to heavy shilling by Disney since they had no movie of their own that year and they're partnered with Ghibli. If Disney didn't push for it, it probably wouldn't have received a nomination, let alone a win.

>Oscars are decided by about 6,000 people that work in the American movie industry. They are predominantly white and median age is over 60. That answers your question.
>latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-unmasking-oscar-academy-project-20120219-story.html

How do we kick them out to retirement and get the younger generation to take over?

You can't, it says in that article that membership is for life.

>Implying the oscar people watch the movies instead of just going eeny, meeny, miny, moe to pick one

They have gone on record admittng they don't watch animation, user. So their opinion is irrelevant.

Pretty much, I remember hearing multiple people saying that it was made by Disney. I doubt most people that watched it knew that it was an Original Work by Ghibli, not just a English dub with distribution.

>Oscar nomination

But they have a 'Best Animated Feature Category'. Why even have it at that point, Disney/Pixar win most of the time anyway.

The Oscars shouldn't really be paid attention to, when it comes to animation. Try festivals like Hiroshima, Annecy, OIAF, Zagreb, etc. or awards like the Noboro Ofuji prize.

The whole ceremony, not just the animation award, is just for Hollywood to party and pat themselves on the back.

>Oscar nomination

that anime movie was fucking trash anyway dude. Only shounen is worth anything these days to the West. Rest is just a bunch of faggotry.

Well if J. J. Abrams is doing a live action its already BTFO this Zucchini shit, let's be real here.

Literally no normalfags gives a shit about that, Oscars is what matters to the average joe

This.
Notice how every other Ghibli movie that got nominated lost against Disney flicks.

>The Oscars shouldn't really be paid attention to, when it comes to animation.

Or when it comes to anything anymore. It's already known that not even the voters that make their choice for "Best Picture" even watch all of the nominees.

Isn't that the whole point of complaining about the Oscars? That they're average joes who can't into animation?

>REEE FUCK OFF HOLLYWOOD WITH YOUR LIVE ACTIONS. DON'T TOUCH MUH ANIMES
>REEE HOLLYWOOD WHY WON'T YOU NOTICE THIS ANIME

It's just another teenage romance drama isn't?

I will be mad if something different gets owned.

Why should anyone care about what normalfags think.

Wasn't Lilo & Stitch nominated that year?

I stopped caring about Oscar after How to train your dragon lost to TS3. I'm still mad.

To give a semblance of justice to the entertainment world?

Did they have access to subs before they chose the nominees? Because if not obviously they couldn't pick it sight unseen.

I am going to watch this weeb favorite tomorrow night and I hope it lives up to the hype you fucks are showing.

Is it????? Oh hell no....... First you guys scream about Koe no Katachi everywhere and it ends up being the same anime bullshit like always, they even have anime intros in full feature movies. What the fuck is wrong with those guys? Are they so stuck in their formula that they can't do something in any different format properly?

Ah well... I already bought the ticket anyway, so I am going to watch Kimi no na Wa regardless

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139

I hope you didn't spoil anything for yourself beforehand. It's a hard hitter if you don't know what's coming.

this is a really dumb idea for a thread m8

also anyone with a measure of awareness doesn't care about award shows

Ah yes, because the opinion of Hollywood kikes matters so much in today's world. Especially after this week's news of a pedophilic movie kike being ousted by dishonest newspaper kikes.

>inb4 gb2 , nazifag

Do I need to link that article about the Kimi no Na Wa live-action adaptation with JJ Abrams, to remind you again that I was right about hollywood jews?

>>>/reddit/

This. There's a reason why it's called the disney award

And Treasure Planet

I am going totally blind and expect to keep it like this until the moment I finally sit there at the cinema and start watching it

you are right, and (((Hollywood adaptations))) are just a psyop for Jews to reach into Japan but nobody listens until it's too late

>white

Zucchini was a better film than Your Name though.

They had that year Lilo and Stitch and Treasure Planet, but keep telling yourself that.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/75th_Academy_Awards

Disney co-financed it.

>Caring about the Oscars.

>Guess which one got an Oscar nomination?
The one whose US releases was handled by people who understand the process needed to get an Oscar Nomination. There's more to the game than "show your film in an LA theater for one week" and Funimation doesn't understand how any of it works.

My favorite meme.

What do you want them to be called then? Beige or pink-ish?

See, it's not about whether the merit of the movie.

Disney gets prestige and more cash, Oscars get cash from Disney. Rinse and repeat every year.

I wonder who nominated it?

>Especially after this week's news of a pedophilic movie kike being ousted by dishonest newspaper kikes.

Woody Allen? I don't keep up with stardom bullshit.

Harvey Weinstein apparently, had to google it.

You think we're any less snobby? We shun any anime touched by filthy gaijins. Only Sup Forums mods would be autistic enough to ban people over Neo Yokio threads even though it's actually anime.

It's not that they don't understand, they don't have the money that the majors studios have.

What do the Oscars have against anime in particular (except Ghibli)? They picked an obscure little thing barely anyone saw over the most successful anime movie ever! Is it something personal?

>>We shun any anime touched by filthy gaijins.
I feel like Space Dandy got the worst of this because of it airing on Toonami first.

European = artsy. Also, it was released by GKIDS. Those guys have good contacts in the Hollywood industry.

>GKids is very effective at playing the Oscar game. Despite releasing almost entirely esoteric foreign cartoons, the company is run by showbiz veterans who have close ties with celebrity actors, publicists, and other prominent people. They know how to get their films seen by the right people, how to build buzz among academy members, and how to play the Hollywood game. Their films usually get a nomination because a: they're usually good films, and b: they are crafty enough to get the animation members of the academy to take those films seriously. GKids is a small company, however, and can't afford to compete against the big marketing money that major studios will throw at their films.
>animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-01-27/.111446

>wanting the recognition of Hollywood
Japan knows better.

it's not anime though

Jews, retard.

your name was massively overrated like literally all the fluffy schmaltz done by Shinkai (which I guess isn't a good explanation of why it was snubbed by the academy awards, but still)

Literally fpbp. No one ironically thinks the Oscars as an authority of tastes when they still only have 1 category for animated films or shorts.

More people need to pay attention to this. Part of getting an Oscar is spending a shitload of time and money specifically marketing your stuff to academy folks.

No they only care about Disney

Koe no Katachi was better than either.

>these two obscure freakin' Chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw [an apparent reference to the Japanses film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]

OP you're basically saying avengers and transformers deserve Oscars because they made money.

I genuinely hope you enjoy it, user. I watched it sitting in my room on my shitty toaster PC and the quality of its presentation still blew me away.

>oscars
Oh you mean the guys that said they will stop nominating movies with white people because muh diversity?

That was the BAFTA, baka.

>theguardian.com/film/2016/dec/14/bafta-changes-rules-to-increase-diversity-in-awards-and-membership

here's the full article.

woops
cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

try and keep it that way

i went in totally blind and also mostly blind to the massive hype it had, just saw it mentioned a couple times and thought it must be good

became my favorite movie/anime./fucking anything

>Zucchini boy fucking kills his mom in the first 5 minutes of the film
Damn brah

Oscars have a single category for animations which should tell you how much of a joke it is.

And Kimi no Nawa is your average mass-appeal heartwarming animation, Zucchini is a much more daring film AND it's stop motion which the academy seems to love.

>Implying an Oscar has any artistic value.

You got that right honey~!

so he's just a psycho?

...or was it by birth, you misleading asshole?

An accident actually, she's an abusive drunk and he accidentally kills her while trying to get away from her

That doujin was a gold mine.

>barely-an-hour-long movie that flopped at the box office
>not even its own country cared about it
>made no impact whatsoever among the general public
>Hollywood doesn't even know it exists

these are all appeals to popularity, OP. not arguments

Kimi no na Wa doesn't deserve it anyway. It's a pretty looking but ultimately superficial and forgettable light entertainment film.

>I don’t think I should be able to vote for this category either, but I can’t resist another opportunity to support Guardians of the Galaxy. It should get something.
>Out of all of the nominees, I suspect that Guardians of the Galaxy had the least amount of visual effects, but I voted for it anyway because I liked it so much.

>anime will never be taken seriously by the entertainment industry
>w-we don't care anyway!