What's the most bullshit power-up you've ever seen in anime?

What's the most bullshit power-up you've ever seen in anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fg9oThFkJlk
youtube.com/watch?v=r3j2hjJgXtg
youtube.com/watch?v=6CTqkjAUJJc
youtube.com/watch?v=6rmCjJwy9_M
youtube.com/watch?v=FwWP0IgfUZM
youtu.be/swqkm82ZdM0?t=14m39s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Almost every single shonen has at least five

O MY

my emotional distress

He said in anime.

Ultra Instinct

Goku's plot armor. Even in death he survives.

that moment in hxh when kurapika easily traps a villain that the anime just spent tons of time showing how strong he is
>he's bullet proof!
>he's rpg proof!
>he can kill people with his voice!
>he's so cool and awesome that his buddies can just casually play cards while he solos the shadow beasts assassins hired by all the world crime syndicates!
>oh shit here comes Kurapika's magic chain!
I think there's actually a moment in the writing where he says, "Wow, this guy is so strong that if I wasn't paralyzed I'd probably still not be able to break free!"

Remember at the start of the anime when they said people were strong because of intense training and adherence to the rules of nen?
It was nice while it lasted, before it became "muh emotional distress and self imposed moral restrictions"

HxH and YYH even though they're nostalgic as fuck for me, are easily some of the worst written garbage I've ever read. I have no idea why reddit and nu-Sup Forums worships Togashi so much. No one here probably knows what good writing is anyway and has never read a novel

Pretty much, the Yorknew arc alone is infamous for being poorly written.
>anime goes to great length to explain how tight and impossible to crack the security is
>phantom troupe breaks in, kills everyone attending the auction, and to the mob's knowledge steals everything
>mob loses their aboslute shit, shuts everything down, closes off all escapes routes, and tells them to watch the skies
>phantom troupe escapes in a fucking blimp. A slow moving blimp.

t. Wanpissfags

I'd love to hear how they escaped in a hot air balloon like Team fucking Rocket

it was nen powered

>a shonen without emotion driven power
Next you'll tell me the protagonist isn't strong and overly optimistic and there is no quiet character out for revenge with eye powers

they can't, they just ignore the writing and focus on the power creep

This is the right answer. All these other powerups were just one-time bullshit. Meanwhile, this ENTIRE ABILITY was bullshit, and every time it got used it became more and more bullshit.

Okay, whoever the newfag is who just watched YYH for the first time needs to stop making these threads for two reasons. The first is that Togashi had a valid reason for coming out of left field with this 'twist' and you'd know that if you'd done any kind of research into the matter. His editors wanted him to continue the manga indefinitely because it was so popular and he wasn't on board with that (for a few reasons, including medical issues) so he made it unsalvageable. Worked pretty well, huh? Its a sad truth about the corruption that can happen to a popular series but its one that needs to be taken into consideration when looking at the finale because its not like Togashi pulled it out of his ass for shits and giggles.

The second is that considering how solid the series was up until Togashi got fed up with Shonen Jump's editors, it doesn't deserve to be devalued like this. Its one of the pinnacle shonen that set the stage for Naruto and Bleach to become the big hits they were - especially the latter which is often labeled 'the poor mans YYH'. I don't necessarily agree with that assertion but its prevalent enough that one can't ignore it.

This isn't an asspull

I'm still mad at how shitty Nanami Yasuri was written. This entire character is such an asspull and it boils my blood just writting this.

> In the Maniwa Insect Squad arc, it is explained that the reason behind why she can't die is just that... she can't. No matter what happens, she just can't.
> She can also resist poison just because.
> She was born with the eye of gods. With this ability, she is able to see through any technique, any movement, any weaknesses, thus mastering any ability with observation.
> Superhuman strength and speed: As she murdered the entire Itezora clan, she had learned and mastered everything that she saw.
> Ultimate Battle Analysis: She can literally predict the attacks of any martial art just by seeing the stance that her opponents use.

Newfag detected. Sup Forums has always been on Togashi's nutsack because both YYH and HxH are considered 'respectable' shonen unlike the big 3 which are all modern interpretations of what made battle series so popular but without any of the charm.

>a character being strong is bad writing

What percentage of your brain do you use?

Okay, let's put aside the fact that she is strong. Because indeed, many characters are overpowered and that does not necessarly means it's bad writting. But it's the reason as to why she can't die that is literal bullshit.

MY SUPER SAIYAN 3

It looks ridiculous, but after been training a decade later in the afterlife it's not so impossible.

He lost his arms. It's not an asspull.

>He lost his arms
Looks fine to me.

Hori already started it wasn't a million percent

Well the ability to throw a hundred percent punches with his arms

The jobber form of Super Saiyan.

As a HxH fan i have to agree... still i think i could have accepted Gon San had Togashi not chickened out on the last second and played the Nanika card.

It would have been interesting to see the consequences of nen rules. GonĀ“s death would have been meaningful and tragic since he would have never met his dad.

i would have watched an arc dedicated to investigate if there was a way to bring him back on the dark continent or something.

Such a dissapointment.

Even if it wasnt planned from the beginning, the whole Yusuke is part demon works in line with the rest of the story. He was a teen who spent the past 2 arcs fighting increasingly powerful demons with no real justification for his power creep beyond dying once and training real hard. Sensui dying at the hands of an all powerful demon fit with the themes of the arc regardless.

Everything in fairy tail, though that might be cheating

>Byakugan is supposed to be better
>Sharingan keeps getting more powers
They couldn't even let rinnengan be better it just became the final form of the sharingan. It was silly that the God lady had basic Byakugan.

Nanami was born to be bullshit, but it's not like her strength had any purpose. She just lived every day suffering from the pain of her illness without being able to die and in the end got Shichika to kill her in hopes that she could help him become complete, but even then failed because Togame ruined her plan.

>tfw Super Sand 3 accomplished nothing in the end

I'm writting a generic shounen for the fun of it. Ideas for characters and powers? Any theme.

Super saiyan. It single handed popularized and enabled a lot of the garbage asspull hyper modes that exists nowadays.

O, MY GENKI DAMA

Someone remember which chapter this was exactly?

>bullshit power-up

this thread again?

This is garbage, how can someone read this?

just google midoriya vs muscular

Ah that was his name, thanks.

IT'S FASTER THAN THE FASTEST FAST!

All you need to do is just take another step before pulling out your sword! THE FINAL TECHNIQUE!

>I-It was bad on purpose!

Holy fuck can Togashi cock suckers get any more insufferable?

You dumbasses actually think the Dark Tournament was a well written masterpiece don't you? Jesus christ.

From the beginning it was clear that 100% was a mental block, not a real thing. Even at 100% he wasn't going all out because that would just destroy him. So he just made up some far bigger number to reach to and hit with everything he had. It's like calling it an asspull when every single coach ever tells his team to give it 110%.

O

What was wrong with it?

>So he just made up some far bigger number to reach to and hit with everything he had
So it's just some shitty shonen powerups?

O MY RUBBER INSTINCT

Seems like a legit asspull to me

The protagonist has the power of autism.

>From the beginning it was clear that 100% was a mental block, not a real thing
Source?

I tried to rewatch YYH recently and it was completely unwatchable
>something seems like it's about to happen
>characters talk about how something is going to happen
>cut away to random wacky comedy skit with Koenma and blue
>characters threaten each other and boast a while longer
>half-way through the episode break
>something's going to happen soon, I swear!
LITERALLY NOTHING HAPPENS UNTIL 12 MINUTES IN, almost every episode. That's the only reason the Holy beast arc is so long.
I mean the Suzaku fight is 3 episodes for no reason. That's almost as long as the final Dark Tournament Toguro fight, and for a lame villain like Suzaku? Are you fucking kidding me?

Kek, what the fuck is this

MY TWENTY PERCENT

1,000,000%? So stronger than All Might?

Gon also lost his nen, so it's not an asspull

It's a shitty asspull, so I guess yes, for an instant

How about literally everything people criticize every shonen for?

Every fight was decided by an asspull. There were no stakes. Genkai dies to give Yusuke a power up and gets revived any way. Kuwabara "dies" to give Yusuke a rage power up but just kidding he's not actually dead because Toguro was never a bad guy, despite murdering Genkai literally episodes prior.

Togashi tried to play Kurama off as the super intelligent character that always outwitted his opponents but in reality he'd just whip out a new plant that perfectly countered his opponents every single time.

The big evil plan to open a portal to the demon world that needed tons of money and top level demons was done by a random spirit detective and his ragtag group of psychics and demons in cave in the middle of nowhere.

Toguro asked to be made the highest class of demon and he topped out at a B Rank.

The whole thing was generic shonen. People suck its dick because they were kids when they saw it.

He's not a random Spirit Detective tho.

He's a Class-S Spirit Detective.

I like how the path to the outlands with Suzaku's castle is randomly hidden under some shed floorboard in Yusuke's city

Why people even bother with shonenshit anyway?
You are not a kid anymore, it just sucks

LISTEN

>The whole thing was generic shonen. People suck its dick because they were kids when they saw it.
This.

>My shit tier translation mistranslated something therefore it's a mistranslation

Relax. I was just asking a question. Most of it I agree especially Kurama who would just retroactively put seeds on people in the beginning of each fight. I thought that was stupid as well.

I believe the first half of the Sensui arch has better writing and potential than the Dark Tournament.

Also I disagree about why people suck its dick. The characters are the reason why it's liked if you ignore a lot of the whacky dumb asspulls the show unleashes (atavism of demonhood). The story is very well received for how personalized the characters are. The English voicing talent is pretty decent too for its time

youtube.com/watch?v=fg9oThFkJlk
Yomi's back story

youtube.com/watch?v=r3j2hjJgXtg
Raizen's friends return

youtube.com/watch?v=6CTqkjAUJJc
Toguro

and pt2

Say what you will but back then these were the leading if not pioneering moments of the tropes you accuse the show of at its time. The asspulls are forgiven for the storytelling the show has and its potential rather than mindless shonen action which, to be fair, is in almost every battle shonen in existence.

youtube.com/watch?v=FwWP0IgfUZM

This is part 2. Sorry about that.

>mistranslated
Source?

Which Tenchi Muyo episode is this image from?

This can't be real

How can someone mistranslate a number you dumb BNHfag?

This part was fucking stupid.

The black history episode, where Tenchi pilots turn A gundam to defeat Itachi while Yaldabaot tries to impose itself on the world and become the holy grail to start a new war

If Nanika was involved a lot more people the arc it would make sense. Also, we don't really see Gon or if it got his Nen back right now. I doubt he could get to even 50% of where he was before getting to the DC.

>sucks out every last drop of ki in the body, down to the cellular level
>utterly destroys the users body in return
>was able to rekt Buu during thier first fight
>bad

Uh huh

With multiple personalities, where just one of them could fuck anyone up yet.

>rekt buu

He matched him. He didn't beat him. Don't think Buu is losing for tanking damage like he usually does.

youtu.be/swqkm82ZdM0?t=14m39s

I know I know
>funi dub

The point is the fight itself.

Fat Buu's regen was crazy compared to any other persons also.

Correct. It's part of how and why he fights the way he does. Goku didn't have the energy for a whole day's worth of fighting Buu. He was stalling for time because Buu's reserve is deeper than his for a form Goku achieved that ate everything he had. It was a huge uphill battle and people forget that Goku wasn't even sure if he'd win anyway (goku talking to piccolo in the lookout post-fight).

Why didn't Goku just instant transmission Buu to another planet/dimension?

So Gon should have died is what you're saying

Same reason no one killed Gero early: bad writing and dumb characters. Also I don't know if it's true but I don't recall Instantaneous movement allowing its users to teleport to remove locations. I know Goku uses it only if he can lock onto the energy level of a person. I think the idea is that even if he put him elsewhere he'd just wreak havoc there. In their minds is like Frieza on Namek: no matter where you go the result is the same. You might as well settle the issue now.

Remote locations*

Cause Buu learned that shit.

He has it, but can't use it. It's like a reboot, he's back to being Pre-Heavens Arena Gon.

He only learned it as kid buu or at least used it then.

>the main character's narration is always true and infallible
Wonderful, please never write anything ever again, even anonymously.

Yeah but he could have teleported to the afterlife and enlisted the help of other fighters to take him down without risking innocent people on Earth. Hell just getting him away from Babidi would have been a massive victory.

Like Kazuya and his gun?

Yusuke was Upper Class B and fucked him all up

He would have destroyed other world much in the way kid buu did. There is really no safe place to put someone like Buu. No other fighter in existence up until Super could have even touched him at his weakest state (fat). Goku was already queued up with Vegeta and by the time he confronted him he realized how tremendous Buu was. The resources that Goku banked on to fight Buu was Goten and Trunk's fusion so that means no one in spirit world could contend with Buu. He put faith in who he believed, at the time, to be the strongest chance of winning.

He took kid buu to kai world for the final fight when all available options were exhausted. Says a lot about Buu.

Motherfucking this. It would have been cool if the ability of the eye would have stayed at copying the other ninjas techniques, and that the stronger form would be able to cast small genjutsu and copy some of the bloodline physical abilities (or even beign able to see a bit into the future based on the decitions and movements the target ia doing).
Not that bullshit of paralel universes and chakra creations stronger than the elemental beasts of the nature (the bijuu).
They had to create two movies and a sequel to make the byakugan (the supposed stronger eye) to be more relevant

Sasuke surviving Deidara's massive explosion by making up a completely new jutsu on the fly.

This was amazing, fuck you.