Best Grill

Let's get some things out of the way so that this thread doesn't become a shitfest in the first 10 posts. No, Re:Zero isn't a masterpiece. Yes, from around episode 13 to 18 were the best parts of show, as well as Ram/Rem's backstory. But it is way too over-indulgent and drags you through a river of shit to get through the good parts. If you subscribe to the idea that it's a character study, the depth of your thoughts is incredibly shallow. Yes, I am a fucking year late, I'm well-aware.

Overall, Subaru is a pretty bad/boring protagonist. But I simply don't understand his autism in regards to Emilia. She did ONE good thing for him, and he became infatuated simply because of her beauty. Rem is better in every single way. How could she let herself be cucked like this? She and Ram are the best things about this fucking show.

>Rem is wish-fulfillment and Re:Zero is about anything BUT that
No, because Rem didn't magically fall in love with Subaru. She's the one person that struggled to trust him the most. And she didn't fall in love with him just because he saved her. Their relationship was already blossoming because Rem was realizing how much he cares or some gay shit like that. Him saving her was just the icing on the cake.

Other urls found in this thread:

remonwater.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/rezero-web-novel-translated-scene-of-rem-feigning-her-death/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

tl;dr

>haha rem best grill amirite guise?
Fuck off, your waifu is overrated as fuck

Do you want me to spoil you on why he loves Emilia or do you wanna keep the twist? Also Rem became Subaru's girlfriend so you don't need to worry about that. Expect death or a wedding ring to come by when it does.

Emilia's probably just some meat clone of Satella that will be disposed of later on.

That is assuming that Satella took part in the immortality experiment. I lean towards the time travelling and dimension breaking that happens.

Yeah, go ahead. I don't think it will legitimize their relationship.

She's pretty good. The sisters are the best part of this shit.

It involves Witch fuckery and involved Subaru being manipulated.

>Rem is better in every single way.
You mean except for the part where she fucking murders him for no good reason?

Emilia looks exactly like Satella, with Witch genes to boot and there is a chance Subaru is being bodysnatched or has been in that world before.

Early on, I was under the impression that the first Emilia Subaru meets, yes the very Emilia he falls in love with, was the actual fucking witch through some shenanigans. And being that it was the fucking witch that summoned him to that world in the first place, I would have imagined that her master plan involves using Subaru to procure Emilia as her avatar on their world.

>nigga literally reeks of the scent of what is essentially the Lucifer of their world
>this is associated with the Witch Cult, which fucked Rem and Ram's shit up when they were children
>Rem is repeatedly stated to be rash

>no good reason
?

Well she wasn't wrong when she assumed he was a cultist. I guess she was wrong in the fact nobody expected Subaru to be worse than an archbishop.

At least Rem is the reason he hasn't gone full asshole yet. We got that going for us.

You're pretty spot on with that speculation. Though none of that is concrete yet since the plot hasn't caught up to that yet.

>The girl that killed you for being a villain is also the reason why you havent become the villain yet

Oh the irony

Also in regards to Subaru being a bad protagonist he really does get better as the story goes on and more mysteries are lifted and his character develops. He is genuinely complex and really interesting you don't see so many sides to an MC while also keeping him consistent like Subaru has.

You not only ignored my previous points, you also have no argument. Everyone, including Emilia herself, would be wise to be wary of Subaru, who is literally some dude that Emilia did not know that wanted to give her her touchstone. Rem and Ram's behavior towards him is justified, regardless of how well-intentioned Subaru is.

And she never killed him for BEING a villain. Rather, because she thought he was one. I don't see the irony.

Are you the same person?

Anyways, I assumed as much given the penchant for Re:Zero to break surface-level predictability. It, ironically, makes it somewhat predictable.

And I don't know about Subaru being that interesting. What else happens to him? What sides of him did the anime not showcase? I thought it would do something different with how mind-broken he became around episodes 14-17, but it really didn't.

>yes the very Emilia he falls in love with, was the actual fucking witch through some shenanigans.
not really, i think it's something else because of what satella says to subaru on their first meeting
Satella: “I am in love with you. —Because you gave me light. Because you took me by the hand, and taught me the world outside. Because through nights where in solitude I shivered, you kept by my side with your hands around mine. Because, then being alone, by your kiss you told me I wasn't. There are so many things you've given to me. ...And so, I love you. Because you—you gave me everything.”
Subaru: “—”
Subaru has not a single memory of any involvement in any part of Satella's whisperings. He isn't part of it, doesn’t know any of it. He has never met Satella, never spoken with her, never overlaid his warmth with hers. Everything she is talking about is the fruits of her delusion. This woman insane with sentiment had lined up empty daydreams where she simply watched a fantasy of Subaru. Is what this should be, but NATSUKI SUBARU does know this.
Subaru: “Why're this... inside me, what is this? I don't want to feel this. Don't tether me with, nonexistent memories... I... I damn... I goddamn...”
Hate you, is all he has to say.

The thing is while this was omitted in the anime he has shown to have antagonistic or assholish behaviour. There is also a What If where if Subaru were to not have met Rem or called Reinhardt for help he destroyed Lucignia to make Satella (Emilia) ruler. In where he becomes the head of the Witch Cult after backstabbing Betelgeuse.

>Satella: “I am in love with you. —Because you gave me light. Because you took me by the hand, and taught me the world outside. Because through nights where in solitude I shivered, you kept by my side with your hands around mine. Because, then being alone, by your kiss you told me I wasn't. There are so many things you've given to me. ...And so, I love you. Because you—you gave me everything.”
huh all of that happened with Subaru and Emilia

>huh all of that happened with Subaru and Emilia
not with the first emilia though.

They omitted his inner thoughts and monolouge and removed the more odd parts of him to make him look better. But kept only keys scenes of him making him inconsistent. You also don't see how Subaru acts outside being a memelord or breaking down in the anime. You never get to see the mature and quiet side to Subaru, or him acting slightly villainous. His banter also varies greatly when he isn't around Emilia.

not him, but in arc 4, subaru develops a lot. he takes a trial that forces him to face his past, where he gets to say goodbye to his parents. that whole thing also deals with his family complex and why he acts the way he does. then he hits pretty bleak despair points and has to decide how much he's willing to die to save people, and how many people he's willing to save by dying. he also has to deal with what happened to rem.

Well someone has to become Witch of Envy.

>tfw still havent watched RE Zero or Chaika or Hestia or Made in Abyss and feel left out

I also did not like how they removed his Satella visions that he gets removing another layer to his character. Since he had a number of those before the white whale scene.

It just sounds like an alternate timeline where Satella was successful, but her personality was somewhat combined with Emilia's. Even with everything people have said is missing from Subaru's character, I still don't find him very impressive.

What happened to Rem?

>What happened to Rem?
You don't know?

You just simply haven't seen the full scope of equality the man dishes out.

>What happened to Rem?
are you for real? did you JUST finish watching the anime or something?

If Rem is the most popular character by roughly 10x, why don't they give her a spinoff series like Raildex?

what would the spinoff series entail? potato adventures?

No, and yes, I literally finished it today.

Spoil me. I only really care about Ram and Rem, everybody else was pretty much inconsequential to me.

>No, and yes, I literally finished it today.
rem gets eaten by the archbishop of gluttony, goes into a coma and becomes forgotten by everyone in the world except subaru due to the effects of gluttony's authority to "eat" the names and memories of a person. crusch only gets her memories eaten so everyone remembers her, but she becomes amnesiac and is essentially eliminated from the royal selection.

ram also becomes a pretty different person after forgetting rem.

She went into a coma and Subaru killed himself

arc 4 is some shit man

You'll grow to love and hate other characters soon enough. Dadbaru is pretty great. Then there is this whole dynamic Subaru has with the "villains" of the series you wouldn't ever really expect.

A character named after a brand of car is too much. Japs need the third nuke.

>A character named after a brand of car is too much.
They are both named after the same consolidation of stars

post yfw anime adaptation fucking never

Call me when Rem is relevant. If she's no longer in the series, I'm no longer interested.

Also, how the fuck do you throw lines like
>If he lost Rem, if it meant walking into a future without her, no matter how many times he must endure that pain, he will -- Only this, Subaru remembers clearly.
around and have them just be friends. Inconceivable.

>around and have them just be friends. Inconceivable.
the anime also skipped subaru's confession to rem and him considering polygamy

Those post coma scenes were really destructive. Its like watching a dead man walking.

>around and have them just be friends. Inconceivable.
user they are not friends

[Rem: Is it okay…if I ask for a selfish favor…?]

[Subaru: …! Say it, say anything. I’ll listen to anything because I’ll do it…]

[Rem: Say “I love you”…]

Rem spilled these words out with a faint, frail voice while looking up at Subaru.

In her vision which had become blurred by the swell of tears that gushed up, she saw Subaru shake his head. After that, Subaru brought his face close to her and said,

[Subaru: I love you(suki da)]

[———–]

[Subaru: I love you(daisuki da). Isn’t that obvious…If you aren’t with me, I can’t live on…]

It was his true feelings. If you were to say that this was when he spilled everything out, that wouldn’t be an exaggeration and would be an accurate statement. If it wasn’t for her, he wouldn’t come this far. If she were to disappear, he would not be able to live on.

[Rem: Ahhh…I’m happy…]

Accepting Subaru’s confession, Rem felt a tear alongside her closed eyes. Taking in Subaru’s words happily, her face quickly blushed. Soon after, it now really did seem that all power within her body had departed.

[Subaru: Wait…]

[Rem: I love you(aishiteimasu), Subaru-kun]

[Subaru:Don’t fuck with me, stay by my side. You’re going to leave me with regrets again!?]

Subaru could not bear to live in a near future where Rem would cease to exist. Along with knowing this fact since long ago, her existence still has become sooo much more important to him, compared to long ago. So,

[Subaru: In the future where I talk while smiling, I need you…I don’t want this]

[Rem: In that future, is it okay if I stay by your side?]

[Subaru: ….Isn’t the answer obvious? I won’t let you go to anyone else’s side.]

Wiping off her tears that were suspended on her eyelids, Subaru looked straight at Rem and said:

[Subaru: You are mine. I won’t let anyone have you.]

[Rem: Proposal accepted!]

Satella is a reverse waifufag.

did this in 3 minutes in paint because it bothered me to not see this translated yet.

Giving the most popular character a coma that resets her relationship with the protagonist is next-level LN jewing. You get to dangle the promise that she will eventually re-enter the story over your viewer's heads, to keep them buying your books.
And you also get to stretch the romance arc out longer by resetting it midways through.

Just pathetic. Corporatism.

Ram > Rem

Give me a rough, simple timeline of Subaru's relationships? Does this happen when he tells her to run away with him? I thought that no long after the end of the anime, he enters a relationship with Emilia.

They weren't really friends or at least they started out as friends but shortly grew into something more than that, they were romantically inclined with each other after arc 2 which grew into what they had now. Also Subaru has this sort of weird duality when it comes to what he does and what he speaks.

Thank you so much

If we saw more of Ram, then maybe. She'd have to be capable of the same level of devotion that Rem shows. If I could just magically talk to one character of the show, it would definitely be Ram. She's funny.

during the anime, right after the white whale

she faked injuries/death to get a reaction out of Subaru
remonwater.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/rezero-web-novel-translated-scene-of-rem-feigning-her-death/

>I thought that no long after the end of the anime, he enters a relationship with Emilia.
doesn't happen

>She'd have to be capable of the same level of devotion that Rem shows.

only for clown dick

Subaru starts to have feelings for Emilia -> Rem starts to have feelings for Subaru -> Subaru starts to have feelings for Rem -> Emilia starts to have feelings for Subaru.
Oh and Petra (the little orange-haired kid) starts to have feelings for Subaru.
That's it.

It gets kind of weird when he finds out Emilia is basically mentally 14 years old

>what did ram think of being considered the reincarnation of the oni god by her people? how did she feel about losing that power? I can imagine that she enjoyed her power, but felt guilty because it alienated rem. and she maybe felt relieved that she no longer made rem feel like trash, but also didn't want rem to have to take the burden of being her "horn." in the remless continuity, she probably felt happier about her power which ties into her feeling able to freely love her village without resenting them, and losing everything made her focus on revenge. but that's all speculation and conjecture, and I could be completely wrong.

>I think that ram wants rem to be happy, and is well aware that rem can't be happy with just ram, but doesn't want to admit that she can't make rem happy by herself. before subaru came, she had rem to herself, but they probably weren't all that close. they probably did their superficial "nee-sama, nee-sama, remu, remu" routine and talked a lot and stuff, but not about anything actually important. which was probably a mixture of ram not wanting to involve her imouto in gospel keikaku and trying to keep rem from becoming more bloodthirsty and messed up, and from rem's worship of her. "nee-sama's so amazing, almost like an angel, and angels are meant to be untouchable."

>I also think ram was fully aware of how distant they'd become, but unwilling to acknowledge it, so she never brought it up, while rem didn't realize what was happening. she hates the status quo but she doesn't want anything to change. hence her simultaneous resentment and appreciation of subaru. he's stealing rem and forcing her to change, but he's forcing her to change and making her happy.

reminder that ram is incredibly fucked up, even more so than rem.

Reminder that daughters are not for lewding

Id say its more complicated
>Arc 1:
>subaru has feelings for emilia
>Arc 2:
>rem has feelings for subaru
>petra crushes on subaru after she gets saved
>subaru has feelings for rem but tries to remain loyal to emilia
>arc 3:
>subaru responds to rem's confesion by choosing emilia
>Rem fakes her death and gets subaru to say he loves her too
>subaru confesses to emilia and gets put on hold
>rem gets eaten
>arc 4:
>emilia is implied to have some feelings for subaru.
>subaru adopts beatrice

Remfags continue to be filthy losers, thirsty for any kind of basal affection to sate their needs.

Let them be, they need it for living.

>petra crushes on subaru after she gets saved
this is implied to be because rem was deleted and subaru becomes her savior. actually, the entire village becomes more attached to subaru after rem is deleted.

Around arc 2 Subaru started developing feelings for Rem. Around arc 4-5 Emilia starts developing feelings for Subaru (s it love? We don't know). Around arc 6 Subaru has been foreshadowed to be distancing himself from Emilia romantically but fully support her while being more focused on Rem.

During this time Subaru and Otto become best bros, Julius and Subaru become tsun to each other, Roswaal and Ferris are assholes. Wilhelm becomes sort of a grandpa to Subaru. Beako, Meili and Petra become dadoptive daughterus to fill his cold empty heart. Subaru and Ram act like brother/sister-in-laws who hate each other but enjoy each other's company.

Petra only started developing feelings for Subaru since Rem got deleted, her ties to her feelings were with the wolgram incident. She loved both Rem and Subaru equally but since Rem got erased all her affection got laser focused on Subaru rather than distributed to Subaru and Rem. Which is why she finds it odd that whenever there is trouble she would run to Rem's room because it made her feel safe.

The mom needs to wake the fuck up so they could be whole again.

>mom

I read those parts, so I'll tell you how it looks from my perspective. No bullshitting due to waifu bias either. It differs a little between the WN and LN, mostly because Subaru's attitude is different. Subaru finds Rem to be attractive from the beginning of Arc 2, but doesn't really focus on her. The basic shit you can tell from the anime.

By the end of Arc 2, he's paying a lot more attention to her. Some portion of this seems to be pity. In the WN, he's definitely not harem MC level dense around her and can tell she's obviously attracted to him, but he finds her judgement questionable. Rem's clearly shown to have a few screws loose, but nowhere near as far gone as Subaru treats her. She still regularly insults and teases him, at the same time as being his stalker and creeping into his room to watch him sleep. Subaru enjoys her attention, but ignores anything that makes him uncomfortable.

By Arc 3, Rem's calmed down a bit and Subaru's more or less used to her, probably more so than he realizes. He thinks of her when he's feeling underappreciated and misses her after only a few hours. Still mostly focused on Emilia, but they're close enough that strangers think they're together. Then all the shit goes down in Arc 3, and it's clear that Subaru transitions his emotional anchor from Emilia to Rem. She's the only thing that keeps him calm when he's in his mindbroken state, and in later loops he even goes into panic attacks and faints at the hint that she might not be doing everything because she trusts him.

After From Zero, Subaru takes about a day to fall in love with her.

I don't count her actual mother who abandoned her for 400 years to be her mother-figure.

>Rem and Echidna are friendly rivals for position of Beako's mother and thus indirectly subaru's wife
Make it happen Tappei.

Rem's not really her mother figure either. I mean, I guess she takes that kind of role in terms of general attitude.

>[Rem: —-Yes, open wide.]
>[Beatrice: *Gulp*, I suppose. ——Huhh! Damn it!]
>She scoops up the cooking, holds out the spoon, and Beatrice becomes shocked, as she ate it involuntarily.
---
>[Beatrice: Little by little! You said little by little! You really are perverse…..]
>[Rem: Yes, open wide.]
>[Beatrice: Aan, I suppose……mmm, it’s delicious. Don’t mess with me, I suppose!]

I say this calls for a passing grade on the mom test.

>that's the reason why Roswaal wants to kill Beako so he can keep his Witchy waifu's attention
Wew

rem isn't nearly as close to beako as echidna was. and it's not like we know enough about echidna's circumstances 400 years ago to accurately judge her. from what we know,

>Beatrice: “Should I do the same as Roswaal, and buy time until your algorithms are complete? Or should I sacrifice myself, conglomerate of powerful od that I am, and become the nucleus for the algorithm, I suppose? I won't regret it for an instant when it's for your sake, in fact. ...Please, use me however you'd like, I suppose.”

>Echidna: “Having you with me won't influence the confrontation with the warlock much at all, unfortunately. Naturally, it would surely increase my chances, but... only by a pittance. It would fall under statistical error.”
>Beatrice: “B-but if it's better than me being absent, then Betty will help you, in fact! It'd be—”
>Echidna: “You can't. The risk that we'll both be destroyed outweighs a tiny, potentially non existent boost to my prospects of winning. Considering that there is a less than fifty-percent chance that I will survive this battle, I have to endeavour to ensure my knowledge survives to the hereafter.”

>Her mother's constant, unchanging expression.
>But Beatrice feels that, in just this single instant, it comes mixed with unfamiliar emotion.
>Echidna: “Betty. —Please, be well.”

we know echidna isn't actually worried about her knowledge. odds are that she's trying to protect beako from joining her on a suicide mission. it's been established that this echidna and the one in the tea party are different, so the "isn't her choice or lack thereof interesting?" sentiment could very well have come solely from the bitter tea party dona.

Alright this is all really confusing here can someone tell me what people's relationships are in this series? Is Subaru a harem protagonist?

yep
re zero is way too fucking confusing for what it is

>Is Subaru a harem protagonist?

No.

>After From Zero, Subaru takes about a day to fall in love with her.
Or, more accurately, takes a day to finally realize and admit it. Everyone's already been commenting on his infidelity for awhile now. Even Wilhelm.

On Rem's side, she's more observant and proactive than the anime makes her look. Subaru doesn't really get anything past her, even when he tries. She will drag him away by the ear if he starts talking to Wilhelm about how wonderful it is to be in a murderous rage.
The trick is if Beako accepts Rem as her mother figure. We already know Rem has no issue stepping into that role for anyone. She's extremely loving, can be very strict, and is quite impertinent. While that last bit shows in inappropriate or rude comments, it also shows in that scene you posted. She's good at talking down to others.

people in general or people relevant to subaru?

In general

>Re:Zero isn't a masterpiece.

yes it is,

and are other points are wrong

Subaru has:
2 bros: otto and garfiel
1 love: emilia
1 "sister": ram
1 employer: roswaal
3 kinda gay knight friends: julius, rainhardt and felix
3 daughters: beatrice, petra and meili
And 1(one) potato: rem

Petra doesn't count, only Rem and Emilia have feeling for him. This isn't like konosuba where Aqua, Megumin, Darkness have some sort of feelings for him

>Roswaal and Ferris are assholes
I can suppose about Roswall, but what does Ferris later?

No, only 2 women show actual interest in him (Witch of Envy not included, she seems to love his past self).
In some IF routes he gets some different girls to fall for him (in Ayamatsu he could get paizuri'd by Elsa without risking her slashing his guts) or the School IF where he manages to woo the Witch of Wrath a little.
But other then that, it's just Rem and Emilia.

he cuts off the crusch/emilia alliance because he's grieving over crusch's amnesia and tells subaru to give up on rem.

Subaru is a teen boy. He's attracted to many girls on a physical level, but only has romantic interest in Rem and Emilia. However, he's a total pussy and requires a lot of push to actually take any relationship past the "just friends" stage. The girls confirmed to like him romantically are Rem and Petra, both who are willing to push. Rem being the most aggressive. However, Petra's below Subaru's age range and Rem is presently comatose. Subaru made a few steps in getting closer to Emilia, when circumstances required it, but has sort of just left it where it's at.

The only mutual love confession he currently has is with Rem. Who is comatose.

what a dick

Subaru is not a harem protagonist. The relationships go like this:
Subaru has Rem and Emilia.
The candidates have their knights.

Ferris gives up on getting back Crusch's memories, tells Subaru that it is impossible for him to help Rem and breaks off the nice alliance the Emilia and Crusch faction had.

Well if I were to list it out

Crusch has no feelings for Subaru, just respect. Fourier was her love interest before he went and kicked the bucket.
Wilhelm loves Theresia and vice versa (obviously)
Echidna loves SCIENCE and Roswaal loves Echidna
Ram wants the clown cock
Rem and Subaru want to taste each other's body fluids (literally)
We don't know what the hell Emilia feels for Subaru but were assuming its love even if Tappei said she doesn't want Subaru has a lover
Subaru still has feelings for Emilia
Felt and Reinhardt are cute
Anastasia loves money
Julius has no romantic interest but if you ask the fujos he'll say its Renhardt and he's gay because of that one scene where the twirls his hair around when he got mentioned
Satella loves Fugel(?)
Beako, Meili and Petra are daughterus with Petra already having two village children competing for her hand in marriage.
Elsa loves guts

With many more but you get the idea.

>Elsa loves guts

truly the best love story from re:zero

there are also two echidnas, one of whom is significantly less of a sociopath than the other. there are a total of four so far, the original echidna might have split her memories, empathy, and magic into the other three.

>Fourier was her love interest

No, Crusch-sama was Fourier's love interest. Also, Crusch-sama has Ferri.