Trump sets steel and aluminum tariffs but exempts Canada, Mexico

reuters.com/article/us-china-usa-trade/trump-sets-steel-and-aluminum-tariffs-but-exempts-canada-mexico-idUSKCN1GK09C
What do you think of Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum? I am thinking that the U.S. is a big buyer, so raising import taxes and thereby lowering demand for steel and aluminum could plausibly end up with foreign exporters lowering the before tariff price and getting the U.S. better terms of trade. See optimal tariff theory:: economicsdiscussion.net/theory-of-tariff/the-optimum-tariff-with-diagram/6667
The question here is: will other countries retaliate? Because if they do, then everyone ends up worse off than they were before.

Other urls found in this thread:

academic.oup.com/restud/article/82/1/1/1547758
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I know that bumping your own thread is lame. But it is worth it. There is not nearly enough discussion of actual politics on this board.

We shouldn't be doing shit for Mexico until they take back their fucking democrats.

We can make them take back their democrats if we can just get congress to pass laws to deport them. The problem really isn't the Mexican government. It is the democrats in Congress and their voters.

we don't have a choice until NAFTA is changed or repealed.

they aren't doing to do shit to retaliate in any meaningful way

rare flag

What happened to ending NAFTA? Neither Canada nor Mexico deserves our trade. Canada is pretty much China now anyway, they will still just sell us cheap metal and it's not gonna help US industry. Thoughts?

>they aren't doing to do shit to retaliate in any meaningful way
I don't know about that. You never know what those crazy Eurofags are going to do next. They started both world wars.

>Neither Canada nor Mexico deserves our trade.
Where do you think America gets her oil from?

Mostly domestic, but yes much is imported. Still not worth their trade and undermining of national industries

>Puts up tariff on everyone except our biggest suppliers of steal

What the fuck is the point?

>exempts, Mexico
wtf
how does that help anything

The actual formal estimates that we do have say that Nafta is a net gain for America. academic.oup.com/restud/article/82/1/1/1547758

I read Canada and Mexico buy shitty steak from China to sell to America. How does the exemptions help America?

we don't get much oil from Mexico. Mexican oil is shit. single digit percentage of our oil do we get from Mexico.
we do buy a lot of oil from Canada, but most of it we just refine and sell back to them as various petroleum products. Canada needs our refining infrastructure.

we'll worry about it if it becomes a problem. I doubt it will.

Haha I meant Steel**

So I know we live in a world where what you believe will happen matters a lot more than the facts, but this won't help anything. How do I know? Because unlike the idiots that make up most of the country I go with fact. The fact that Bush tried this same thing in 2002 and it lasted barely a year before they got rid of it. It didn't help then, won't help now.

So China doesn't have a burgeoning beef export industry that I don't know about.

What was the internet like in the old days?

China is not included in those exemptions, and chinese steel is shit. So it works out.

We’re your best trading partner, best ally.

Thanks papa Trump. Appreciate it.

I can't speak for others. For me, it was mostly reading webcomics, arguing with left-wingers on The Escapist forums, and playing flash games on Newgrounds. Why do you ask?

> chinese steel is shit.
According to whom?

China will make steel to what ever spec you want, and subject to inspection. there is nothing wrong with Chinese steel. China is the main competitor that has killed US steel, and the main reason for the tariffs, because it's subsidized by their government.