Outbreak Company

>this is what otaku actually believe
The idea of a Japanese lecturing a medieval princess on the right way to treat a half-elf is hilarious given how the Japanese treat haafus. Or does anyone really think that modern Japan's culture is founded on liberty and equality?

japan is the land of the free and if you dont like it you can get the fuck out you freedom hating terrorist

Shit thread

Japan had freedom written into its Constitution by MacArthur, but even MacArthur couldn't change the culture.

You legitimately scared me into thinking this show got a S2 for a second there.

Would that be such a bad thing really? It as

Japan is so cucked after losing their most significant war ever they literally take all inspirations of a glorified America. Japan literally aspires to become what the US used to be portrayed as in positive propaganda as the heroes of justice in the world.

I kinda doubt that your country is any better in this regard

Asian cultures seem to have a stronger divide between written and unwritten rules.
The written rules are equality and justice. Anyone who becomes a citizen gets the same rules.
Unwritten, the gaijin can fuck right off if they want to try to stay, and are on no obligation not to resent you and anything representing you.

maybe not the older generations, but the younger generations of Japanese are quite liberal in terms of tolerance for gaijins and the like

I think Japan is ultimately more like Britain than America.
>relatively resource poor island nations that punch above their weight in continental affairs despite losing their empires
>Used to have one of the finest navies around, now weakened but still powerful
>Revere the monarchy but expect them to stay out of politics
>Strong emphasis on decorum and unwritten social norms

>modern Japan's culture is founded on liberty and equality
Read the Constitution and read about the Elections.

Yes there's progress to be made but if there wasn't liberty strongly permeating Japan it'd be closer to Myanmar or China.

>the Elections.
You mean the LDP's regularly scheduled coronations?

>relatively resource poor island nations
Britian wasn't and isn't resource poor
>Used to have one of the finest navies around
That's not saying much
>Revere the monarchy
What's that even supposed to mean?
>Strong emphasis on decorum and unwritten social norms
Like everyone who isn't an uncultered swine?

frankly they are a bunch of cunts who desperately need a Revolution to force some liberté, égalité, fraternité into their lives.

All Britain had going for it resource wise was coal when it built its empire. Everything else it had to go overseas to steal from its colonies.

They are a lot better than elections in certain parts of Asia. At least everyone gets a vote and there aren't tools to suppress dissenting voices. Not that they need to, the dissenters do enough to ruin their own chances.

>all the Japanese hold the same values and act the same
>if some (number is irrelevant) of your countrymen act one way it's hypocritical to make a work where you criticize their behavior
Is this bait or just stupidity?

Historically, Britain was one of the tin-richest regions in Europe. They also had and have iron and coal, and they even have gas and oil now.

cool, an outbreak company thr-
oh, it's just a thinly veiled Sup Forums thread

Can't we all just talk about how much I wanted to fuck the dog girl?

Japanese society as a whole is a bit shit in that way, but otaku are generally more sympathetic to those who are a bit different and the downtrodden in general.

Besides, as others point out, what is stated to be the values of a society and how it actually acts are two different things. It's really no different from an American lecturing someone in a fantasy setting on freedom and equality.

>hilarious given how the Japanese treat haafus
It's hilarious how you're criticising Japan for this while your own African Americans get mistreated non stop.

There are no country on earth where races of different are treated as equal if one of the race controls the power structure.

dog was amazing. best reason to watch that show.

Well it can happen, if all the races are memed into thinking they are one race, like what happened with the Han Chinese.

Go spend a year in Baltimurder and come back to me.

Sup Forums please

Sup Forums likes Japanese society though, because of how conservative and xenophobic they are.

Who needs liberty and equality? Give it to the Germans and their muslim invaders.

How can they be a foundation if they never exist in the first place?

They haven't been conservative or xenophobic in decades.

To be fair, as far as I can tell from a distance it actually kind of is

The biggest question I had with this show was how the fuck medieval people manages to like otaku culture that well.Of course,there are people in the show that hates otaku culture from xenophobic standpoint but nobody criticize otaku culture from their taste.I can't see how none of medieval people go out and say otaku culture is full of unethical and creepy elements.

>Or does anyone really think that modern Japan's culture is founded on liberty and equality?

As much as Americans believing modern American culture is founded on liberty and equality when it is obviously not.

Otaku culture is simply more vibrant and colorful and full of new ideas. And since they're medieval people and not religious they don't think twice about the creepy parts since those are par for the course for them.

>Get mistreated non-stop.
Ain't that bad. There is a difference in black s in the US. You got inner-city niggers and southern blacks. Southern blacks ain't gonna do shit or they'll get lynched while Inner-City fucks act up. Most of the mistreat shit you get on the news is from inner-city fucks who sometimes start shit with cops and the media takes only certain parts of it and not the full story..

I'm not going to lie. There is some mistreatment with bad cops, but what system is free of bad cops? You gotta fight the injustice for everyone and not just blacks. I'm a black from the South, never got a ticket or arrested. Also fuck you. The US is the best country.

Yeah all that free money, housing and college is real inhumane.

Freedom and equality are two opposed ideas. Equality is tyranny.

In the show there's really nothing medieval about the society, it's just a vaguely historical mishmash of fantasy tropes, so attempting to view it from a medieval mindset is pretty pointless.

Japan is better than most western countries.

Equality under the law nigga

I'm certain some of them will like it but liking entirely alien culture that well is showing too much generosity for otaku culture.Even in Japan there are many people that hate otaku culture.How the hell you want me to expect people from entirely different time period to show that unified positive reaction to otaku culture?
Whatever,even if show were set in wild west there is a same problem.I'm not arguing that medieval people can't like otaku culture because they're medieval.I'm saying how can people having culture very alien from otaku cultural background can conform so well that nobody criticizes otaku culture from their viewpoint other than political or xenophobic viewpoint.So nobody rolled his eyes when MC's imouto start confessing her love for her own brother?

>Equality is tyranny.
Equality seems like tyranny if you're used to privilege.

Because the show is about how otaku culture is a positive force to achieve peace, harmony and intercultural understanding.
Having people who hate otaku culture because it is foreign relates to this theme and provides villains whose ideologies neatly contrast with the protagonist.
Having people think otaku culture is shitty from an aesthetic perspective doesn't add to this theme.

Outbreak Company is criminally underrated.

The trick is that Japan didn't just introduce otaku culture, they also introduced mass literacy and the printing press. This was the first time any such mass entertainment became available to the people of the fantasy world, and since Japan monopolized printing the only thing they printed was otaku shit.

The government bureaucrat guy was the unsung hero of Outbreak Company

Am I the only one bothered when translations use phrases like "tax dollars" and "not a penny" and the like when it's fucking yen they're talking about?

Also the supreme monarch of the land endorsed it, so people will tend to bandwagon it just to follow the trend.

It is not gay if he's really attractive, right?

No, you're a homo.

The translators probably didn't think too hard about it.

Is this character from the novels? Don't remember them from the anime.

You're probably in the minority. The phrase "your tax dollars at work" is a well known idiom. It would be much more weirder to see stuff like "Your tax yen at work".

How about just "Your taxes at work"?

tax and tax dollar are completely different

Absolute freedom also means that anyone is able to tyrannise your weak ass as much as they please.

That's why the non aggression principle exists.
And there is also the distinction between "freedom from" and "freedom to".

Yet any ethical shit is purely voluntary if you're completely free.