HunterxHunter

Why is it to "cool" to hate on this show now?
>You can fly away at any time you now.

I don't hate it.
It's the most enjoyable shonen I have ever watched.

Because it's popular and it has an annoying and pretentious fanbase

fans kept calling it the best shonen of all time
so more people read it
and realized that its in no way the best shonen of all time
so backslash ensued

I don't hate it I just think it's shit like most shonen

It's the only good battle shounen.

I disagree.

It's a masterpiece compared to most Shounen, but that's only because it's being compared to such a low standard of quality. As a standalone piece it's very good at some points but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, as masterpiece implies that something is near perfection and despite it's numerous positive characteristics it's definitely nowhere near perfection and has a considerable amount of flaws.

>hurr durr shonen is shit

It's a series that really had potential to be something great, but Togashi failed at almost every possible point and it ended up being a disappointment, overall weaker than "safer" series by actually talented authors.

Until the end of the Greed Island arc, it's a pretty good shounen, probably one of the best out there. I don't think anyone will disagree with this either.

Then with the chimera arc, the show makes a "love it or hate it" change and goes for a much more serious tone which is about horror human-eating creatures, PTSD, and all that.
If i had to compare it to a live-action show, i would say it's like Stargate Universe, where they moved away from a light-hearted space adventure show, and changed it to a serious survival drama. Some fans liked it. Some didn't.

Because you're on Sup Forums and the MCs aren't twelve-year-old girls.

HxH changes tone in every arc, pleb

How so?

It's the A Song of Ice and Fire of manga. Great series but will never reach a satisfying conclusion because the creator lost interest

>because the creator lost interest
because the creator loves money*

The show is good, it's Togashi that sucks, He didn't use to though

same thing

o

>being so lacking in mental capacity that you have to resort to typing "hurr durr"
shonen fags everybody

MY

Asspulls and deus ex machina at the end of every arc, thematically all over the place and the protagonists are all unlikeable, save for Leorio, who doesn't really matter.

With Sailor Moon money, is he really bothered though? I'm glad he's continuing, he did mention he started not enjoying drawing YYH towards the end because of his retarded posture made him hate it. Same could've been easily said for HxH.

Most are.

HxH has less asspulls than most shounen

*fewer
Doesn't matter. HxH still has them and they're more gratuitous than in your average battle shounen.

>Asspulls and deus ex machina at the end of every arc
bait
>thematically all over the place
there's a single thematic/character core across hxh. hxh's world is cynical and hobbesian, it literally runs on survival of the fittest but at its core its a coming of age story where the mcs find friendships, meaning and identity in this brutal setting
>the protagonists are all unlikeable
poor opinion

Asspuls and deus ex machina.
>Kurapika powers
>Gon-san
>Nanika
>O MY
Thematically.
>generic shounen
>now it's about mafia
>now it's a video game with cards
>now it's grimdark with man-eating monsters
>and now it's about politics
>what the hell are "hunters" anyway?
Shifting genres each arc is proof that Togashi didn't really know what to do with the series for a very long time. Now he's just stalling.

Bait seems like you didn't even read the mango

Out of those, only Killua getting free wishes and Nanika not asking for anything huge after healing someone is an asspull. You could have included Kite's revival.

Thanks for saving me time. I thought you would have some actual counter-arguments, but you forfeited so easily.

>Shifting genres each arc is proof that Togashi didn't really know what to do with the series for a very long time. Now he's just stalling.

Because of the "O MY ..................." spam in other threads, even without any real asspulls.

The whole Nanika was an embarrassment, I didn't feel like describing it in detail. Kite's revival is part of the bigger problem with Nen being anything Togashi needs, despite seemingly being a thought-out system with strict rules.

Tossing around greentexts and speculating about Togashi isn't an argument.

I just adjusted to that HxH fanboy's level. My first post had no green text.

YOU CAAN FLYYYY AWAY

>Kurapika powers
The scarlet eyes only make him as good as he ever could be in each category of nen, it's like how a monkey can only learn how to swim just well enough but not at the degree of a fish
>Gon San
It was shown multiple times that Gon is willing to sacrifice his body to obtain his goals and the rules of nen allow him to sacrifice his talent for one moment of Power
>O MY RUBBER NEN
It was already established that nen can linger on after death in Yorknew

>a coming of age story where the mcs find friendships, meaning and identity in this brutal setting
This is the only sensible thing anyone has said in a HxH thread for a while

Why is the world so brutal

It's a "fanbase ruins the show" thing that the underage community apparently hasn't outgrown yet.

My only gripe with it is the music, which easily brings it down a few notches because a good soundtrack is very important. The sound director was just slapping any track onto a scene and hoping it would work, it didn't. The ED's were terrible, mostly the first ED which was just horribly out of place with the tone of the series.

Another nitpick is the character designs not even coming close to the manga style.

Narutards are endlessly triggered by people appreciating HxH but not their manga or burritos

Is it really good? I just started berserk and want another read. I like the way the characters look in HxH

I tried Boku no hero, shit is boring

>what the hell are "hunters" anyway?

I've never read/watched HxH, might start it at some point just to see what's up, but I gotta say, reading synopsis, this is the sticking point. "Hunters" are conceptually vague to the point that it seems really stupid the whole world seems to revolve around them,

O MY RUBBER NEN ruined Hunter x Hunter discussions forever.

Thanks Togashi.

RUBBER

NEN

What are you talking about? It's the best pleb filter ever. Just yesterday some user said "Hisoka has been dead for hours, his brain was dead". You wouldn't have a good discussion with them anyway.

I like BnHA but IDK why it's popping off the way it is, it's the most by the numbers shonen I've ever seen.

I like it, its actually my favorite fighting shonen but the fanbase is pretentious and elitist. Which is like being elitist about the fast food you eat.

Fanbase was pretty pretentious and aggressively went out of their way to shit on any other shonen around while proclaiming that HXH was the greatest deconstruction enlightening shonen of all time.

Going by the information in the fight, I doubt he was even dead for longer than a few minutes.

That was axed though.

From the replies in this thread I'm glad I wasn't around it. Fanbase sounds worse than pre anime jojo tier

2011 was shit
1999 was top tier

>Kurapika powers

Which? The recent ones he has been getting or the ones he has had.

>Gon-san

All he did was make a nen vow that would give him the power he needed to kill Pitou in exchange for his nen and possibly his life. This is something well established and considering his hyped potential to become stronger and his emotional state (which even had Pitou scared and Pouf happy that he wasn't out there fighting). Dude was always one step away from unleashing the venom.

>Nanika

Was said to be around.
She's a shit plot device character, but her existence was stated. What she could do was never said. Which is understandable considering she's a fucking genie.

>O MY

Just his nen living on after his death and restarting his heart. Something that was also established.

Kite coming back I would say was bullshit, hell anything involving Gon and Killua around the election arc was all around bad.

I read it but steers clear of its threads.
It’s enjoyable for what it is: Togashi being Togashi thus taking the story all over the place; but the thread itself is full of either pretentious fags, kiddies with “4deep2u” mentality, ESL faggots coming to another threads and proclaiming “muh best shawnen evur”, and endless in-fighting “bantz” like kurapika/pitou is a girl.

It's cliche but it gets all the cliches right

Because it actually has some depth to it and good writing, while being a battle shonen. This triggers half the board who can't accept a manga made for 12 year olds is better than their favorite show and at the same type breeds an obnoxious fanbase that's adamant at circlejerking and defending it's every flaw. The Sup Forums tier version wars between 11 and 99 don't help.

The nen system itself has asspull baked right into it. Vague, random, but powerful system like “limitations” and “nen getting stronger after death”: characters can arbitrarily set a “limit” so their ability gets stronger, dead character returning to life because “it was established that nen can linger”, character using a dead person’s ability because “it was established that nen can linger”

One word: fujos

>overpowered but well estabilished rules
>asspull
You don't even know what that word means

*established
ya dingus

Anyone that thinks OH MY RUBBER NEN is an asspull are surely 12 years old.
Is't tremendously funny yes, but not rule breaking.
>People actually thought Hisoka was gonna die
Brain damage.

CHAPTER WHEN?

People are fed up with it's battered wife syndrome fanbase acting like it's the greatest shit ever just because of that one time the protagonist powered up because a friend died

>”I throw away the ability to use nen so I suddenly grow up”
>”I can only use this ability on some people. But only the abilities of *this* finger”
>rules
You don’t know what “rules” means. It’s all arbitrary conditions disguised as “rules” and Togashi didn’t even lampshade it. It’s revolting

This thread is gay.

What would your nen ability be Sup Forums?

The things that frustrates me is that it just negates what was already a generic garbage fight. What was the point of putting us through that snoozefest when the outcome didn't change anything in the overall narrative?

it's a battle manga that likes to pretend it isn't, with the two main draws of battle manga (good or at least exciting art and fun powers) being replaced with art that looks like a child drew it half the time and everyone with an interesting power jobbing hard to people like gon who just punch really hard or otherwise have very simple abilities

so the fighting sucks, but it's absolutely not about the characters because all of them besides leorio (who barely even counts as a character and just wasn't in the manga for almost 10 years) are genuine psychopaths with extremely open ended goals that will never actually go anywhere, with each arc being wildly different from the others and replacing all the supporting characters, so the story is basically just gags and setup for the next fight scene that looks like trash because togashi has the contract of the gods with shounen jump and he doesn't have to try at all or take any fucking pride in his work

what's left? A couple moments where the series doesn't completely follow shounen cliches and twists them a little (inbetween completely playing it straight all the fucking time, did you know that HXH has a larger % total of it's panel time devoted to training then DBZ does?) and the concept of nen is kind of cool abit just an excuse for characters to come up with dumb powers out of nowhere and then spend an entire chapter expositioning on the new nen rule that makes this a thing

oh, and the main characters are a pair of gay shotas, that's probably the only reason I can see people sticking around with this series for so long besides the sunk cost fallacy of having read it for 15 years

The ability to make any thread gay

Passive aggressively shitposting about HxH

About showing/telling, it's not just nen exposition where it happens. But for example, Hisoka was using cards to slice since his first appearance. We don't need a whole explanation and name for the technique ("shu" IIRC.) Other series do the same thing (imbuing ki into objects) without saying anything.

That particular training was pointless mostly because it didn't really introduce anything new. The fights/results weren't necessarily pointless.
You could make the argument that those characters ended up accomplishing nothing either, but that's not really important.

HxH just reads like a diary more than anything. It's about things that happen to the characters. If the story points out that Kurapika's revenge is hollow, or that Gon is selfish, it doesn't change that fact. There's rarely another side to the story.

What makes something "not shallow"? I don't really feel like HxH is attempting to defend itself on that front. Characters like Wing and Biscuit exist because the plot required them, and that's fine with Togashi. Those characters don't have a stake in anything else going on, and the actual development only happens to a very small group

I dunno, I don't think it's worth the time digging into details for this. The best I can give is impressions. Though, I do feel like One Piece makes an effort to have its characters feel like they would still exist without the plot.

>Blow up the antagonist with a magical mini nuke
>muh writing

Because it's ours

>the whole world seems to revolve around them
Except it doesn't. So point moot

>Kite coming back I would say was bullshit
Why is Kite bad, but Palm, Ikalgo, Koala ignored?

>complaining about the shifting themes
Maybe I am too dumb to understand anime after all

u can tryy again

>The things that frustrates me is that it just negates what was already

>a generic garbage fight.
Yeah, I forgot about the high intensity fist fighting, laser beams, trap cards and power jumps. Oh wait, that didn't happen. What fight did you read?

>What was the point of putting us through that snoozefest when the outcome didn't change anything in the overall narrative
Hisoka successfully killing two Spiders and having the whole Troupe hunt him down isn't a change?

I swear to Christ, no matter how many times I hear about pretentious HxHfags, the fucks that try to criticize shit are too dumb to take serious.

sounds like the fight was the first ongoing experience of the user, cut them some slack.

>Hisoka vs Chrollo
>Generic garbage fight.
Okay I'll bite, what are you comparing that fight to?

Gon doing that whip and nay nay in OP pic

>Thematically
>One piece goes to the desert
>now it's cold
>now it's in the sky

Herp derp am I doing it right?

Kite came back from from Crazy Slot.
Or so stated by Ging.

HxH has the best girl

How does that relate to the theme did the other guy forget what themes are

Not giving context is really shitty

How does that not make sense. Putting limits and costs on a ability makes it stronger to balence it out

Could be, the Koala's suggestion of the souls being transferred or "reincarnated" to a new body could have a hand in that to and Kite's was just more proactive.

Soul transference isn't really a new concept and we saw through Pakunaoda that memories can be stored through nen, which is just spirit energy to use a term from YYH.

"Shonen" isn't a genre, fucko.

>girl

Shounen is not a genre.

It's some kid that pops out in these threads suggesting that humans in HxH hadn't reached nuclear technology which existed in the 20th century, despite being told and shown several times that they are modernized in every sense of the word, right down to the smartphones and tablets.

yes girl

Maybe there are actually some interesting concepts in the show that were executed well. Like what if a race was as smart as people and wanted to take over

Understandable criticism. Though to be fair, applying this standard to shonen in general, I can only think of Death Note actually having a clearly defined, all encompassing rule set.

Cos the Chimera arc is unironically one of the worst arcs in any mainstream shonen