Pre-2000s anime thread

What are you watching? Why is old anime better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ysyi_JWcA9A
youtube.com/watch?v=iHzG42u15k4
youtube.com/watch?v=xKfjkha6r9I
youtube.com/watch?v=SIF5BLyh3Mk
youtube.com/watch?v=tHbSXOrmOoQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the 90's had the best robot girls

Vifam is pretty good.

Just started watching this gem. 16 episodes in and I'm having a blast. But will the blast continue throughout the entire series?

dis
youtu.be/Ysyi_JWcA9A

I watched Golden Boy, was pretty good. great source of reaction images.

Ripip Dunbine best girl.
Currently in search of new best girl.

Densetsu Idol Eriko, just finished kimigakure and I'm gonna watch Ikkoku Maison

And also Old anime isnt better, it was less constrained yeah(1+2=paradise Jesus Christ) but that doesn't make it better.

is this a thinly veiled recommendations thread?

So what if it is?

Noice

Currently watching Double Zeta it's pretty good

Please don't die prematurely like the last two threads.
What are you guys watching to celebrate the season?

fuck off with this "old anime" hipster shit
this all looks like fucking garbage
time to grow up and actually watch something well animated for change

>Why is old anime better?
Floof

>year 201X
>still no cute android DJ girlfriend
Why did I ever get in the radio business?

Started getting into Gundam a few weeks ago, right now I'm halfway through Zeta, shit's pretty good, just wish Katz wasn't such an idiot, though he is a little kid after all

>Old anime better
BTFO nostalgiafag

I can't be the only one who thought this was Kamiyama from Cromartie from the thumbnail

I just watched Ai City. It was one of the most visually striking films I've seen. It's worth it just for the color usage, shading, animation, and shading alone.
>why is old anime better?
Only Siths deal in absolutes.

Reverse-searching pulled up nothing, character name?

can someone convince me to watch GTO?

Why? It's a great anime, you don't need more reasons. You'll love it.

Dub or sub?

the sad part is you're probably the same kind of asshole who goes off on moe

It's a decent comedy show with heartwarming moments and lovable characters. It also has two god-tier openings and its latter two ending themes are also pretty good.

Old anime isn't better than new anime. Please don't start these threads with bait.

Which pair would you dirty?

I've always been more of a Yuri fan

Persia from Mahou no Yousei Persia.

silly floofy brown girl

I fucking love Ranma. Literally. I'm in love with pigtailed girl. In my opinion the quality drops after like 40 episodes in and drops real bad after 80. Picks back up for like the last 40. First 40 are amazing though.

(((girls)))

I unironically enjoyed Dirty Pair Flash

Implying

He's making a statement, newfag,

Honestly, no. Old anime wasn't good apart fro ma few masterpieces created by the same great people, ano particularly. The golden age of anime was 2007.

>even in cosplay Yuri looks better
I would do anal with 3DPD Yuri.

And your picture relates to your post.. how?

>why is older anime better?

Cels are more beautiful than digital work, the painted aesthetic is just more appealing than the overprocessed bland washed out greasy looking shit 90% of the shows look like now.

The stylistic trappings of each decade before the 00's are amazing, from Dezaki's famous harmony shots to Kanada's over the top effects animation.

Character design was less homogenized, and those that did use a generic style from the time look better than the generic style now. Big hair, thick lines, real noses, and better legs.

CGI looks like shit almost every time, only used occasionally to good effect when something NEEDS to look weird (like the crab from Bakemonogatari).

Otaku used to be interested in interesting things like airplanes, guns, science fiction, classical fantasy, mechanical engineering, wars, classical literature, and sakuga. Most Otaku now only care about cute girls.

You can find good stuff for any period of time, but the old stuff as a whole appeals to me far more, especially the 70's and 80's.

>
sauce?

It starts out great but becomes a slog later.

Urusei Yatsura is the only Takahashi anime worth checking out over the manga.

I was thinking of watching that tonight, it sounded pretty cool from what I've heard

Hokuto no Ken,

with french dub for true comedy gold

youtube.com/watch?v=iHzG42u15k4

Did you also post in the /m/ thread that I made while I was watching it? I enjoyed Vifam.

Old anime isn't better. New anime isn't better either. A good show is a good show, and a bad show is a bad show, no matter when it was made.

I feel like some shows have been trying to branch out stylistically lately. Like now that they've gotten used to the available tools they have they can experiment more. Its effect varies, but Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei was visually interesting, off the top of my head.

Started watching Gundam Wing a little while ago. I'm on episode 40, and I still don't understand why everyone hates it.

It's cool but its writing is dumb. If that bothers you, don;t watch it. If you're fine with watching a whole movie as an aesthetic experience, it's fucking amazing.

Shaft is doing great work, and there are shows I can't imagine looking better with cels (like FLCL). But for the most part we've been stuck.

I'll put it this way, we are better now than we were in say 2005

Fujo Gundam.
Also Relena is fucking awful.

Fair enough. If you want a really stark example of the difference, watch Big O season 1 then season 2. The style of art is the same but everything just looks off and it's hard to reconcile. I don't think i got used to it until halfway through the season.

You see, the fujo doesn't bother me at all, so I guess that's why I've been able to stick through it for so long. Also, Relena used to be good. Now that she's become obsessed with peace I feel like her character has become a little awkwardly flat. And usually characters tend to be given more depth when they have an ideal to advocate.

> no Infinite Ryvius mentioned.

youtube.com/watch?v=xKfjkha6r9I

Ya'll should be ashamed.

I watched that like a year ago. It was amazing.

One of my favorite laid back fantasy Slice of life's.

youtube.com/watch?v=SIF5BLyh3Mk

Technically anime was in 2k3 but manga is older.

Also don't fall for all the haters in the comments saying shit about it. Best to watch it without spoilering it for yourself.

That's exactly what I thought

Fuck off it was possibly the worst adaptation of source material ever.

Read the manga.

The colored pencil style at least looks interesting

Don't fucking even.

Noones mentioned Lain, or Niea_7?
What board am I on!?

youtube.com/watch?v=tHbSXOrmOoQ

These threads are for pre-2000s shows people are currently watching. Everyone's already seen Lain and Niea is 2000s.

Lain is at least popular enough even for the people who don't watch pre-2000s shows. It can easily have its own thread outside of this one and not risk dying early - same with stuff like Evangelion.

To be fair, NieA_7 was early 2000.

>No sequel

Finished this today, Anne is now my favorite autistic cry baby. I loved the slow pacing on this.

Slow pacing is underrated. It's the negative space of storytelling. Used poorly, it's boring. But used wisely, it amplifies what's there.

Implying

Agreed. This was the only one besides LoGH with slow pace that I very much enjoyed.

No, read the manga instead. It's better in every way, especially art.

Kill yourself.

Haunted Junction never fails to make me laff

There are like 5 eva threads a day that are always popular

You needn't worry about him.

Basic reading comprehension says: that is exactly my point, user.

Gourry's looking kinda Edvard Munch there.

i'm no dub hater but there's a few that are way too cringey
golden boy and haruhi are on that list

They kept changing directors throughout the entire duration of the series and that made it a massive clusterfcuk.

Watch Endless Waltz afterward; she pulls her head out.

>HUNGLY

I hate Lord of the Flies.

this thread sucks

>autistic cry baby

?

>cringey
>>>/9gag/

>What are you watching?

Space Adventure Cobra
The Rose of Versailles
Orguss
Devilman Lady

>Why is old anime better?

>Better art styles all around
>Lack of digital gloss allows for immersion
>Better character designs ( the girls usually had noses instead of all looking like Voldemort, and characters tended to have more detailed faces and were less bland)
>Better mechanical designs
>Writers not biting off more than they can chew
>Less painfully boring exposition scenes that insult the viewer's intelligence
>Less failed attempts at being intelligent that can only impress high school students
>Better story boarding/choreography
>Better visual directing in general
>Less utilization of plot twists to hide a lack of quality writing
>Floofy haired goddesses
>More interesting concepts in general
>Slightly less focus on high school shit
>Good use of gore and body horror
>Less slice of life, romcom, isekai/video game shit, and post fantasy
>More cyberpunk,mecha,police action,horror, and classical fantasy.
>More sex and explicit nudity
>More girls have an attitude, not all have to be Moe
>More non-anime influences
>Less anime starring a lame ass beta male otaku

Modern anime has more fluid animation though - and it's not like it is all bad. I would rate plenty of modern shows 8/10. It is just that the average is way down when you consider how much stuff is being released now and how little of it is passable, where 20th century anime has a better ratio of good to bad anime. Anime has gotten was too self referential as well. I find the constant trend towards "let's make the main character an otaku" to be insufferable. I miss when we had ladies men or hard boiled warriors as protagonists more of the time.

>Rose of Versailles

That's among the upper crust of my favorite anime. What episode are you on?