Because the modern magical girl is lesbian

Only one girl here is definitely a lesbian, so it's possible to not have a lesbian in an OtaMahou Shoujo.

Too thought out of a reply to the thread titled "because the modern magical girl is lesbian", isn't it?

Was going to say that Mami wasn't a Lesbian, but being that Madoka went full pander-mode, there's no guarantee that she's not going to try to "innocently sleep in the same bed while cuddling", or "declare her friendship" with Nagisa.

I am a lesbian and I hate magical girl shows.

I don't believe either of those statements.

Why modern, though? Magical Girl shows have had massive lesbian undertones since Sailor Moon, aka from the very fucking beginning.

I haven't watched SM for a while, but I was under the impression that only Neptune and Uranus were overt lesbians, while the other scouts were either straight, or showed little romantic leanings. There were a few gay villains, as well.
On the other hand, the picture posted in OP has only 1, possibly two characters who are either not lesbian, or not heavily hinted or teased to be lesbian. Even Sayaka who was initially straight got a Lesbian tease in the movie. That's a pretty far cry from what was going on in Sailor Moon.

Im a Yurifag and I absolutely love this trend.

Get out of my sight fucking posers.

Counted 2, Kyouko and Homura.
Sayaka is bi.

Are you implying that Nanoha and Fate aren't lesbians? There's like no ambiguity there, the only thing that's not lesbians about them is that they don't say they're lesbians.

Why don't magical girls ever have boyfriends?

I am Homura's boyfriend.

Shit, my bad. Fail to recognize Nanoha characters.

Nobody likes boys.

He probably didn't notice NanoFate in that picture, they kind of blend together with the Madokas. They're a married couple with an adopted by the end of the manga, but I'm not sure how things exactly stand for the Madokas, I only watched the anime when it aired but I don't think we got something too concrete.

The lesbian bait is actually not that extreme in PMMM the show. Only Homura comes off as this, and that's mainly because she's obsessed with being Madoka's hero. Sayaka is straight, and her wish is to heal a boy she liked. Kyoko is aromantic, though she desires friendship with Sayaka later on. Mami is also aromantic, she just doesn't want to be alone. Madoka doesn't think much about romance either, and while she cares for Homura, this care is not romance. Really it doesn't come up much at all in the series, and would actually be a counter example of the OP's premise.
That is, until the movies came along. Homura is still Homura, but all of the sudden, we get a scene where Sayaka and Kyouko are holding hands and saying some cheesy, sappy stuff to each other, it was a very obvious ship-tease. Madoka's all about rescuing Homura's soul too, but it doesn't feel as lesbian. Mami gets Nagisa to pamper which is another blatant bit of fan bating, as the two (When Nagisa was Charlotte) are often paired up in fanwork.

While it is an exaggeration to say the entire Madoka cast are lesbians, there's enough teasing and baiting going on where such a misconception can be inferred.

best girls and OTP

>yfw you'll never be a magical girl being best friends with a PTSD princess knight

I'd pay good money for that crossover.

>Kyouko

> aromantic
> Tumblrina speech

>Sailor Moon
>very beginning

Sailor Moon is just Romance in general. It loves romance, be it with a guy and a girl, two guys or two girls. True love is true love in Sailor Moon no matter who. At least that's the take I got from it.

Sailor Moon was littered with subtext because Ikuhara directed a lot of it. Even after he left, the Sailor Starlights were women who just had male bodies out of convenience to reach their goal, so Seiya is a lesbian, as are the other two. Then, there was Aluminum Siren and Lead Crow.

Also:
>scouts
Dubfag detected. Upgrade now if you have taste.

Sailor Moon was far from the first magical girl show. It wasn't the "very beginning".

What was the first then? I thought you meant it had gay undertones from the beginning of Sailor Moon, while I can't remember that until well into the first season.

Sally the Witch, 1966.

Gay magical girls could probably trace back to Cutie Honey. It's not quite magical girl, but it was a huge inspiration for Sailor Moon.