Was Your Name a masterpiece?

Was Your Name a masterpiece?

A master piece of shit.

Yes

fpbp

/thread

Artistically yes. Storywise no. Awful awful movie. I want to impregnate Mitsuha (Taki) though.

Filter a few photos and anime fans will call your mediocrity an artistic masterpiece. Gotta love shit-eaters.

True. Shinkai should hang himself. Fucking retard.

I watched this on a 12 hour flight to Asia and it seemed profound as fuck. I felt depressed afterwards that my life is comparatively such a meaningless sack of shit.

You don't even know my name, faggot.

You're a faggot you are.

5cm was better.

>ywn be a qt girl

KEIT AI FINDS A WAY

It would have been better if Taki and Mitsuha actually lived their lives instead of living in depression for years before meeting each other. Kind of takes 5cm's ending lesson and throws it out the door like it was nothing, setting an unrealistic expectation for impressionable minds who watch Kimi no Na wa.
>lol your pure true love will wait for you anyways even though you've never met them before lol
Taki could have dated Miki and been happy. Mitsuha could have dated Katsuhiko and been just as happy. Everyone could have been happy, growing up, experiencing life while they "waited" for each other, but they didn't. They'd rather be mopey fucks, waiting for something that they're not even sure about, for the rest of their young lives.

I still HATE how hey fell so deeply in love through text. Not once did they ever have a face to face interaction and somehow they both became so madly in love with one another. It's ridiculous really...

How did they not notice the time difference? Every day you look at your phone and it has the year on it. Even if she was a country hick she'd notice subtle differences in the future tech

I would say, while the story itself isn't amazing, I don't think it has to be. The movie is mostly carried by the presentation and the feelings it evokes. The story is secondary.

It's popular so no

Tessie is for Sayaka.

Except the fucked up the feeling in the end. They shouldn't have found each other, that would have kept the feels up and had much more of an impact.

>Because they were in a dream-like state! You don't remember fine details stuff from your dreams!
I'm with you on this. Literally one of the biggest plot holes and no one cares to address it.
They managed to live each others lives perfectly fine, interact with their friends without any trouble, and write detailed journal logs, but somehow they conveniently never once saw a date.

This

The two meeting each other in the end is the whole point. It's about the idea of missing something in your life and finally finding it. The whole movie's story is essentially the dream-like prelude to that meeting.

Yeah... but I doubt that matters in the big scope of things. Friends usually end up becoming dating circles anyways.
If anything Kimi no Na wa should have had 5cm's ending and vice versa, that's all I'm saying.

I don't want 5cm per second.

>Shinkai should just make te same movie over and over again and destroy all tension since we always know how it will end

This is you

But it's realistic and would have been mind blowing for a film like this.

Well that's kind of what most anime directors do anyways so I fail to see the problem.

They were still close like 7 years later. It's not made clear, but I would think they are together. Also, as I said here:

A very touching story. Its a slice of life with a twist. Anime lately has been on the verge of becoming stale, with each new anime put out, just feeling like the rest. Anime recently hasn't been able to make each series and such, a unique experience (obviously a tall order, but with so many artists and writers out there, we could be doing better.) as this. It's been a long time since I've been so moved by a movie, and it takes a lot to move me. The way the plot flows, the way it introduces itself, its just a perfect articulation of pacing. It really expanded the story well, and made you think the climax came quick, really it was only halfway through the movie! The animation alone is very personal, and very well thought out. The scenery of the city and lake was beautiful, having been to Tokyo myself, I saw how well they caught all the stations and such. I never got to venture out of Tokyo into surrounding towns, but the way the art was drawn perfectly captured the heart of it. The beautiful trees as they walk through the mountain, the sky enveloping the mountains, truly a thoughtfully drawn piece by whomever the artist is. The story as well beautifully walked along the animation, driving you to think of what is going to happen, how it happens, and why it happens. Seriously had me guessing at every turn, and i still got half of my guesses wrong. For me, when I can't figure out the story ahead of where I am currently watching, makes me feel like i'm watching a well written story. Too many anime currently are predictable, and rely so heavily on past ideas to keep themselves "fresh." This is one of those animes that will stand the test of time, and keep itself a well regarded name amongst the top tier of anime. Studio Ghibli magic, but with its own flair. Thank you Makoto Shinkai, you truly created something beautiful and inspiring. I humbly thank you from my heart.

"""Plot holes""" are the most meme complaints ever and almost never matter to the actual fucking movie

We're talking literal shinto magic bullshit here yet somehow them forgetting dates when they forget everything fucking else down the line is impossible to you for some reason? Here's how it happened: IT'S FUCKING MAGIC and it's fucking unimportant

Why wouldn't you want a better movie?

So instead ruin the mood you've been building up to for the last 100 minutes in the last 10 seconds of your movie? Just imagine how much more impact it would be if they had just walked by each other on the stairs and never said anything

>IT'S FUCKING MAGIC and it's fucking unimportant
You are the cancer that is killing anime.

Magic doesn't mean nothing has to make sense. If it's all fucking magic why does any of it matter? Magic still has to follow rules or else it's just bullshit writing.

yes

>Friend tells me to watch it
>Expect to get mad again about Shinkai refusing to have happy endings like in 5cm/s and feel depressed
>Get a happy ending
>Even more depressed because love like that can't never fucking exist in this dimension
Fucking Shinkai

exactly. What matters is whether something makes emotional sense. Logistics means little in the language of cinema.

if he wanted 5cm/s, he'd be watching 5cm/s, not you're name.

can never*
Fucking reread that post 3 times and i still missed that like a fucking retard

I enjoyed it. That's all that matters.

Yes OP I thought it would be like Naruto and Fairy Tail but then I went to see this with my roastie and now I like chinese cartoons again

>"So you guys want to come back to my apartment tonight and have some "fun?" My boyfriend will be working late tonight, so it won't be a problem."

no it was a shitpeace , seriously why did people like that shit ?it was even worse than 1 hour of boredom and the feetservice movies

yes to both these, in a way. the emotional impact of the film is only one way to enjoy films, lots of ways to enjoy films involve critically thinking about the events and how they could apply to real life. like a lot of the sci-fi appeal for example. but sticking to realism and appealing to those can hurt emotional impact and other things really strongly so i just try to mirror whatever the folks making it seem like theyre going for while watching it. plot holes in a documentary, fuck off, but people dont watch romance anime with magic and shit the same way they watch a documentary. or at least i hope.

>Your Name
>putting value on names
>basically tripfag propaganda

double dubs of truth

it's unironically good. people here tend to hate it because it's mainstream

And it makes sense fucking fine, it's not a continuity error or some shit you idiot

It's possible within the realm of physics that they never looked at the date, but when the film already has memory erasing magic shit, you don't even need that. Shinto gods decided to make them forget. Bam.

Life's a piece of shit,
When you look at it.
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show,
Keep up laughing as you go.
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

Not spotting the year in the month they swapped was a pretty massive plothole, but not seeing it on their phone wasn't. Very few apps actually display the year and when they do it's often in a fairly small font and easy to overlook, and with a jp locale the lock screen doesn't show it either.

Da

I was happy at the end. I was full on expecting another Makoto "muh tragic romance" Shinkai ending but I didn't and I was happy for that.

>somehow them forgetting dates when they forget everything fucking else down the line is impossible to you for some reason

They only forget things after they wake up, when the details become hazy. When they're switched, they're completely lucid. The 3 year time gap is a massive revelation, and would have definitely ended up in their diary entries.