There is no one that can defeat him in a sword fight

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Nwh8yWh5WU&t=106s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

don't make me laugh

>sword is called dragon slayer
>never used to slay a dragon

Are we to conveniently ignore that one time he got his ass handed to him by a woman? she did it with her eyes closed too

I mean people with bullshit magic-level swordsmanship like Zoro could, but no real swordsman.

No regular swordman could. Anyone with very destructive power could though.

>I mean people with bullshit magic-level swordsmanship like Zoro could
You are saying that as if Guts doesn't have bullshit magic-level swordsmanship.

this is essentially true, as much as we may like guts more as a character he is indeed inhuman. He is far beyond what a normal human could ever hope to do normally. Even if perfect genetic freak trained from childhood with dietitians, nutritionists, and the best sports physicians, biochemists and Olympian coaches. The human body would never be able to wield the blade gutts swings around. Could someone learn to match hi's skill and reaction time? without a doubt, but hi's ability to swing that blade? They would tear muscle fibers on the swing every time, dislocate their shoulders, blow out their wrists. The strongest man in the world presently could not effectively use that blade.

I still think he's Zodd's son, that's why he's got the strength he does. Also those fangs and pointy ears. Plus that mutual respect there is between the two.

Wielding is alright. The problem is swinging.

true, but you get my point. By the fact that he can swing that blade once, let alone make consecutive strikes without blowing out hi's joints and tearing hi's shoulder roots points to him having bullshit magic level swordsmanship.

Speedreading sure is fun

.....you know youve actually hurt my feelings, I've read berserk probably half a dozen times. How does he wield the blade at the start then? Before his blade has slain monsters brought from the other realm? When it was just a clean slab of metal?

>guts is zodd's son
how can anyone actually believe this.

not to mention he can somehow wield that blade after losing a portion of one of hi's arms, placing further strain on the muscle mass left on that side.

It's certainly not achievable in real world but since people can lift these weights (or even twice as much) I'd say that while it's outside the realm of reality it's not in the bullshit magic level.

Something like it's believeable enough to not be Naruto but not enough to be realistic.

That's irrelevant but Guts' Golden Age sword would work. Probably be terrible too, but it'd work.

Grunbeld's still kicking, so dragonslaying count is still at 0

Guts is just a human with pure raw strength, that's all. That's how Miura made him. Trying to find a logical explanation behind every manga character is pointless. He's just physically strong.

youtube.com/watch?v=8Nwh8yWh5WU&t=106s

oh yea no, there are swords from the golden age arc in museums that were wielded by some famous swordsmen and I understand your point. It's all a gradient where we see how far it goes into the levels of bullshit. Yea gutts never goes "FUKU BUKU NUSHU BLOOLINE POWERS" and can suddenly take out a hundred armies without batting a sweat, or some stupid mguffin/ deus ex machina that always allows him to overcome his situation. Everytime he wins it never seems like bullshit or an asspull, but its still on the lighter end of the "bullshit magic not realistic" scale.

Best arc right here

I wonder what someone with proper training could do with it. I recall that it was just as much about the strength of the blow than the cut itself (the sword wasn't too sharp but probably still more than the Dragon Slayer which is pretty much just Guts swinging a big tree around to beat up people) but Guts still cut through armors with it.
I don't think someone could do the full cut but maybe half or something.

true, it could be logically chalked up that at the start of the career the mangaku didnt know to much about the human body or what its possible upper limits were, but if you cant explain something in a reasonable way using present day science it tends to fall into "bullshit unrealistic magic". Once again, I dont think its a bad thing and gutts is certainly on the lesser end of bullshit we see from far more ridiculous characters/manga/anime, but he still is "bullshit magic stronk"

His inhuman strength plus the Berserker Armor might make him more powerful than Zodd at this point

You missed the part where she said it might be the result of living in the Interstice. Guts and Casca were "destined" to die during the eclipse, remember?

Damn it user, I came to post him and you show up as the first post. What am I supposed to do now?

It could be explained by interstice bullshit but that'd defeat the whole "100% human" thing. At this point it's just rule of cool for the huge sword and the iconic "slab of iron" opening, so I think we're not supposed to take its weight too seriously. Or just say momentum doesn't hinder people in Miuraverse.

He was quite even with him at the Hill of the Swords.

based guts burning himself to fuck people up

I think a few blacksmiths have made replicas of the blade and had a few strongmen test it out, basically all they could do is hold the blade and then drop it on the target. Pretty sure one guy mentioned how he thought hi's shoulders would blow out. Understand that even the largest greatswords wielded by strongest swordsman in history weighed probably not even 1/20th the weight of gutt's blade.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia

That bitch was relentless, I was kinda irked that guys didn’t keep that huge hole in his cheek made by her but it still showed guts personality and ruthlessness to defeat his oponents.
The colored version of these panels kinda sucks in comparison though, the panel where guys emerged from flames looks so much more impactful with the line art

im actually not discussing hi's strength versus other characters in hi's mangas universe, just that he falls on the lighter end of "magic bullshit". I love gutts, think he's cool and a great character, that being said even though the zerker armor does remove the limiters on hi's brain allowing him to access 100% of his strength (which is a real thing, some martial artists, olympians can tap into themselves using strength of will to use more of their strength then what is safe for a short time). He is essentially on a time limit, zodd on the other hand has no such limitation.

guts a real nigga

your argument would then be that the brand during and after the sacrifice pushed gutts to the point where he could then go demi human and wield things far heavier, the brand has never been shown to have that effect on casca.

Your argument makes sense if your applying it to why the blade can harm ethereal or otherworldly creatures, thats explained rather well in manga.

My favorite character despite how many people say he’s a guy power fantasy. He is a damaged and tough son of a bitch.

Like I said, that's just how he was made you know? Of course there's some bullshit in the recipe, otherwise Berserk would be a history book and not a manga. Maybe we'll get an explanation in the future, until then he's just a physically strong character. If you look at Yujiro Hanma for example, the dude is a monster, too fucking strong, total bullshit character but I don't think there's an explanation for his strength other than being a master martial artist. That's just how he was made.

and I agree with you, this entire debate basically just started by me agreeing with that guts is bullshit magic to a low end degree

>the brand has never been shown to have that effect on casca.
Casca has never been shown to do anything while having the brand. Physical feats require focus, not retardation.
Retards strength is just people around retards not expecting them to have a normal-person levels of physical prowess.

I suppose I can agree with that, casca has never been in a situation where she could test the extent of her strength, maybe we will see grow stronger then she was when she was a mercenary captain once her mind is healed (if it doesnt make her kill herself)

The real question is who would you want to win?

Guts started as a pretty good swordsman. Then got his shit stomped by Griffith when he joined the hawks. After that he was front-line raid leader for a few years, kept up with his strength training, and deliberately threw himself into every fight he could. He was the best swordsman before any of the fantastical things started (50 man slayer w/ casca), and since the eclipse he'd been fighting constantly. He had no powers at all until the berserker armor except for puck being able to heal his wounds after.

What's the weight of Guts' Golden Age sword? He said it was three times more than a regular sword so it probably wouldn't be far-fetched for him to wield a ~10kg sword. Since swords are usually only a few kgs that'd fit but maybe Miura just doesn't know how heavy this sword really would be in the real world..

The blacksmith originally made him another sword which broke, and then he found his current sword which works because it it just a huge slab of metal. Most of the things he fought were trash mobs (ghosts, zombies, etc) so it was able to gradually level up.

He might be a power fantasy but everything about it is justified.
Actually forget what I just said, he's not a power fantasy, he's the struggle personified.

Yeah, you can pretend he's a manly motherfucker asswipe but in reality he used to be damaged like mad. It's also ironic that people try to characterize him as masculine shit because Guts is fucking terrified of sex as well.

He's a good dude, he deserves his life to be put back together.

Guts, because he deserves it

>Willing to fuck that female apostle
Doesn't seem too terrified of sex to me

That was for REVENGE.

oh shit

Leave Gattsu to me

the real battle would be Polnareff vs medieval toilet

Oh come fucking on.

Threadly reminder that guts should move on from casca once she regains her memory and go with schierke

You're a man of taste i see
but Farnese needs a little bit of love too

In all honesty farnese would be fine, I just think guts would be better off with someone not casca and schierke would be the optimal choice just gotta wait two years to see what happens