Explain this

explain this

bump

Because it's obvious Toriyama doesn't give half a shit about continuity

The only people who attended the Tenkaichi Budoken were Martial Artists, and didn't get much coverage from the press. Nowadays, normies watch it so it is televised.

how he doesn't give half a shit about continuity? he did so many good work

DB Earth seems to have collective amnesia.

It was only a few years ago that King Piccolo tried and nearly succeeded in conquering the planet and the Saiyans laying waste to the armed forces and cities was even more recent.

I mean after the King Piccolo affair alone, shouldn't the political powers that be have tried to do some fucking research on why he was so powerful? Maybe try and equip the armed forces to contend with the might that almost seized the planet? Apparently not, oh well.

Because he forgets his own stories and characters. Like fucking Launch, forever forgotten.

It was never established that these tournaments were more popuilar than.....our real life boxing matches for example. Do you think the general public is up to date on what happens there?

Tien and Co suprised people with their superhuman skills, so they weren't common maybe even unique until that point.

Then after the Goku vs. Piccolo 10 years later there is a world wide broadcast with super powers and you assume the general public knows about these super powers?

There are still a bunch of people every now and then who claim human levitation is a real thing and they've seen people doing it. Does the general public acknoledge this as fact? Nope. Same situation

All of the techniques in DB were severely toned down vs DBZ. Like, yeah, you've got a ki blast, but it's only going to make a small crater and not much more.

Blowing up the moon doesn't count.

what did Toyo mean by this

King Piccolo destroyed an entire city with a single blast.
I know it's peanuts compared to what happens in Z, but that's not something you just brush over and ignore.

What happened to launch?

Every time something happens they make the earth forget it happens with the dragon balls

Tori forgot that animal people exists and later even forgot about dinosaurs, it would come as no surprise that he forgot many other things like a fucking demon invasion that got an even bigger impact and mass media attention than the in comparison insignificant cell games

To be fair, a few people witnessing a tournament that happened 30 years ago wouldn't affect much the popular opinion, most of people in the cities if not all wouldn't know about it.

King Piccolo was a freaking DEMON that was supposedly destroyed by the military forces, or at least that's what everyone besides the president of the earth knows so still, not a good point and OP sounds like a tryhard faggot.

Because the Dragon Ball universe is (for better or worse) an absolute clusterfuck of random fantasy/sci-fi elements, with very little in-depth worldbuilding.

In other words, Toriyama basically just does whatever the fuck he wants with little to no explanation.

EXACTLY

>a freaking DEMON
So a freaking demon that can blow up cities with energy blasts is normal, but not what happens in the Cell games? Want another go at that?

Also, how about the Saiyans and their televised flight, space pods and blowing up the armed forces?

Toriyama actually admitted in an interview that he forgot that she existed. He also thought that SSJ3 was SSJ2 for a while.

Toriyama is a hack that cannot into continuity. It is pretty much plot induced retardedness and selective amnesia what makes everybody forget about major events involving fantasy superpowers, yet some no name loser convinces everybody that everything was smokes and mirrors.

Yes, even the great king of demons and the saiyans and their single handed destruction of cities was nothing. Yet, despite it wasn't aired on tv, they completely eat his lie about killing a superbeing who was absorbing life one city after another just with regular ass martial arts despite he's barely an above average regular martial artist

>Hey guys did you hear that these two people blew up the moon?
>What do you mean? The moon's still intact

I think people would know it's real if an entire island was blown and the practically everyone got out of there to tell the story.

Toriyama is a hack who would've thought.

There is no explanation. The Dragonball series has always had lackluster writing, but it's considered a classic by many anime fans, and a childhood favorite on top of that, so it's allowed to get away with horrible writing decisions we'd skewer a show over today. Can you imagine if in the second season of a modern anime the author retconned all the lore he had built up to that point so that he could turn his MC into an alien, dropped several important characters for no reason, and reduced the fight scenes to shouting matches? Sup Forums would throw an autistic hissy fit.

To be fair though, Toriyama did give us android 18 and teenage Videl, so that sort of balances out.

Here's a plot hole that genuinely has no answer.

How come in the Buu saga the room of spirit and time worked in reverse in that one scene you know where everyone got killed because while they were inside about to exist hours passed outside i.e. the opposite of how it works.

You should be blaming Dragon Ball Z for the lack of continuity, not Dragon Ball.

>turn his MC into an alien

Why would Goku have a monkey tail if that wasn't planned, he tought of everything from DB to Freeza arc.

It started to fall off during Androids arc.

sauce

Do you really and truly believe that a guy who'd forget a character existed has the chops to plan out multiple arcs.

super isn't canon

>practically everyone got out of there to tell the story
>everyone dead
>then the day after the island magically back to normal

kek, I think he had at least the overall idea.

After Freeza I agree he did whatever pop in his mind (or pocket).

The reason Goku had a monkey tail is because Dragon Ball was heavily inspired by Journey to The West

It's the same thing. Just because Toei ended up calling their adaptation of the second half "Z" doesn't mean it's actually a sequel.

And no one wonders why.
Even though it's established that you keep your memories following resurrection. And presumably their experience of the afterlife, does no one care that their souls get judged by a giant red demon-looking motherfucker?

DB and DBZ aren't in the same world or continuity. Furries dissapeared after DB, dinosaurs don't exist after Gohan escaped from that t-rex.

filler
fuck the anime

well, considering that is the same planet where furries, dinosaurs, spirits, androids, talking cats, a select few people who live for literal hundreds of years, at least two furries that can magically turn into anything they want, a dude has an eye on his forehead and can grow arms, a talking china doll, whatever the fuck pilaf is, a woman who changes personalities and hair color when she sneezes, demons, capsules that break the laws of physics, and what else exists, I dont think the tail and transformation was that much of a stretch

I mean, I know dragon ball was a while ago, even I myself dont remember a lot, but COME ON

>Filler
Only the military part. The blown up city and televised space ships were in the manga.

All witnesses are dead.

It's not like Toriyama cared anyway. It's probably better like that, DB shouldn't bother with these details.

How was that received by the Japanese? Was it announced, expected, did Toriyama say it beforehand? I talking about Goku being an alien

Goku was originally going to be a full fledged monkey, but Tori's editor said it was stupid.
Instead of being inspired by the Journey to the West, DB was going to be a literal retelling.

During the Buu saga tournament, the announcer asks Piccolo to not destroy the arena (because he knows him), and when Piccolo says he's entered as Ma Junior, he explicitly says "You know what will happen if I say Piccolo".

Also Koku-oh (the dog that's King of the World) remembers Goku during the Cell Games.

Thank you based editor.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty sure when one of King Piccolo's minions scanned Goku with that machine, it said "Unknown Alien" very explicitly (yes, in English).

the filler is cozy
fuck off manga hipster

If you mean this (scanner from a Red Ribbon android), then it's just a coincidence.Toriyama himself said he didn't create Saiyans/Nameks as aliens.

Was it a scene where Goku was on his way to fight Piccolo until he passes by and saves chichi and her father from some soldiers with a bazooka? I am not sure but I give it 90% chances of that being filler.

only the driving episode

>look aliens
AAAAYYYYYY

Everything after namek is just head cannon. Goku died of a heart disease.

Toriyama wanted Android 19-20 to the be the main villains, before his editor told him it was stupid.
Dragon Ball is just like Star Wars in which it saw its success come about because the creator listened to other people and made changes.

Early DBZ has more in common with DB than it does with later DBZ so I guess early DBZ is part of the DB continuity as well then.

To be fair it's supposed to be a team effort although for the DB manga Toriyama was working with way less people and had a much bigger role comparatively speaking.

Because dragonball is dogshit after goku becomes an adult.

>Also, how about the Saiyans and their televised flight, space pods and blowing up the armed forces?
You are under the assumption that there was some sort of record about that, and there wasn't as already stated above, for the majority of the people and mostly all the people that had a TV near all of those were special effects.
>So a freaking demon that can blow up cities with energy blasts is normal, but not what happens in the Cell games?
What? Demon and Cell are supposed to be similars, said Demon that terrified the entire planet got beaten by the military forces as far as the rest of the world knows just like Cell was beaten by the "strongest human" as far as the rest of the world knows, I thought that the main point here was "how come the world believed the Satan montage when etc", because there was not a reason in the world for people not to believe it.

Not really. The Saiyans+Namek arc are the best in the series and Buu isn't bad either.

Who is the Z fighter it refers to?

Pretty much this. The tournament with Piccolo Jr. was a perfect ending point without any loose ends and granted closure to previous plot points like the entire piccolo saga, Chichi's crush on goku, the rest of the gang going out with a bang in the tournament (instead of being just mook busters and jobbers as in Z), and we only had a god, THE god instead of the many tiers of gods later introduced. Said god also had a good reason not to have done shit until then unlike his lazy ass higher ranked superior gods of latter arcs

I don't think the problem here is really that they believed Satan beat beat cell, more so that they believed him when he said his powers were all tricks, when there were previous examples like picollo and the saiyans.

Namek ending is better

>You are under the assumption that there was some sort of record about that, and there wasn't as already stated above, for the majority of the people and mostly all the people that had a TV near all of those were special effects.
Scientists and journalists were straight up investigating the space pods on TV under the correct speculation as to what they were.

The only clear example for these people we are talking about was from King Piccolo, a weird spawn from hell that terrified the world a long time ago(and since I don't clearly remember these events I might be wrong which would be better for my case), how will these people relate these powers to "normal" looking humans, without to mention how gullible masses are, convincing people that a warrior with prestige beat the demon is more believable than these random people that we actually couldn't see fight did.

Try to think for a second what "people" are we talking about and what the point of OP was
>oh noes, Cell blow up a satelitte
How does that relates to the Z warriors that nobody actually saw fight on the TV.

>the guy literally forgot that saiyans were supposed to have tails

seems like toryiama was always a stupid cunt
but keep 'em DBS coming plox

>Can you imagine if in the second season of a modern anime the author retconned all the lore he had built up to that point

How did the bandwagoning jojofags watching the anime for the first time react to dropping hamon for stands?

>wondering why
>hey I had this weird dream where everyone died
>everyone tired & dizzy upon revival at Buu saga

Despite the Dragon Ball world having huge cities and advanced technology, it's still a really primitive world with a low population. I don't imagine more than a few million people populate the Dragon Ball version of Earth.

There's a lot of obscurity in what the denizens know about the history of their world because they aren't all joined together.

That's one of the reasons why people say DBZ past Frieza sucks. The series forgets that animal people, dinosaurs, and magical martial artists were common all around the planet.

Toriyama just never really cared about continuity.

>explain this
Easy: Toriyama moved DB from fantasy kung fu to alien adventures and didn't think about what happened in the past. This guy forgets significant characters and events. He never cared about the writing for this franchise.

>Why would Goku have a monkey tail if that wasn't planned
Gee, it's almost as if this series was based on a fantasy world with talking animals and a plot inspired by one of the most famous Asian fairy tales.
>he tought of everything from DB to Freeza arc.
You must be really stupid to believe this.

The original idea for DB was to keep it short, there is no way that Toriyama had planned anything after the first time dragon balls were used

It's odd how people leave out the editors and how much influence and say over Toriyama

Also that time Roshi blew up the moon but it didn't alter anything on earth at all.

Goku and co had not participated in the tournament so the people forgot, I guess. it is bullshit though since even I can still remember how amazing Magic Johnson and Larry Bird were, and they've been retired for more than two decades.

but then Kami summoned the moon all over again (when goku was training with him)
to be destroyed again by Piccolo when he was training Gohan

I expect nothing less from a gag manga author at heart.

normalfags ruin everything even in fiction
going out and watching tournaments was a much smaller passtime than what it eventually grew into and it grew more and more commercialized with the advent of Satan which caused more newfags to show up
The hobby then appealed more and more to outsiders and ostracized its original audience

man, dragonball really ditched the chinese aesthetic after goku became an adult

It's like the Negima School Festibal Arc Tournament. When Chao televised the magic fighting and no one believed it was real.

He never forgot. He just got rid of them since the thought of how impractical they are with pants triggered him.