Serial Experiments Lain

Talk about Lain.

I just finished rewatching it and it was better than I remembered.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JlBLcLdTYr4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Present day. Present time.

Is the game worth checking out?
What about The Nightmare of Fabrication?

Its pretentious, edgy with no story. Its for emo kids muh deep meaning hipsters xoxo.

why is fauux's neocities all in cryptic alphabet now? I don't remember it being like that

2deep4me

Boredom the anime

What do you mean, it looks the same to me.

Is Lain gay for Arisu?

Just gals being pals.

and you don't seem to understand

I think she was just starved for human contact

What am I reading

Disregard the shitposters, Lain is excellent. Accurately foretold the paradoxical struggles of isolation and loneliness that would be present in the contemporary age of the worldwide web.
Lain makes my heart ache like no other character in any other anime or manga.

*the contemporary age of human interconnectedness of the worldwide web
So tired I forgot to include the rest of that sentence

Oh wait yeah I am getting that as well.
Weird, doesn't look like an encoding error either.

if Lain is always with us
-how can we ever be lonely?

It's shit.

LOL THE INTERNET IS POPULAR LOL
Lain is more relevant now than it ever was

Lain = Rain = Sadness

I liked how abstract and psychedelic the sequences set in the Wired were.
If they had tried to replicate the feel of the internet in 1998 it wouldn't have aged as well.

I agree, the design of the 'shadow' that the Wired casts on the real world (the odd coloured splotches in the shadows) was also one of my favorite artistic elements.
Thematically, the growing difficulty of the viewer discerning 'base reality' from the Wired also brought to life Lain's slow dissolving of the barrier between the two spheres

The show is incredibly overrated. Its okay. The art and sound design is good and it delivers its message but that's about it. Lain is devoid of any fucking personality (as is every other character). Makes the show feel super slow.

>Lain is devoid of any fucking personality
It's like we watched completely different shows. She's shown again and again to be extremely shy, introverted, lonely, and has trouble making meaningful connections with people. Not sure how you arrived at the idea that Lain lacks a personality because it's explicated for the viewer every single episode.

It was not stated bluntly like in naruto so he has problems to find it.

What the fuck did you just say about me?

Honestly, the way they portrayed the Wired is closer to the way the internet works now than anything else.

Truly ahead of its time

Not to mention the identity crisis she struggles with in the latter half regarding her split personality in the Wired. Hell, half the show is an extended character portrait of this scared, lost child that's essentially the direct result of the paradoxically disconnected, connected society she's born out of.
It's honestly spookiliy accurate, and it's only getting more accurate as time goes on.

Lain has three distinct personalities you nitwit. Normal Lain is shy, but when she logs on to the Wired she gets sassy, and the Fake Lain is evil and smug

Didn't they even do different takes for each time the VA had to switch to voicing one of the different personalities? Thought I had heard something about that.

You clearly haven't watched the show or haven't been paying attention.

The present-day internet is less anonymous than the Wired, though.
Most people using the internet only interact with other users through social networks that let you know everything about the person you're talking to. There's no sense of creating a completely false persona like in Lain.

At least that's how it feels to me.

muh deep personality switch

The Wired reminds me strongly of the Old Internet, before things were really brought under government control. I feel like less and less people remember the wild west days of 99-2006 or so
the new internet is what the wired would look like if Tachibana got the wired under their control again.

It's like the least deep thing about the show. Just an observation that a quiet person in real life can be comfortable aggressively expressing themselves online.

>Make a dumb comment and get called out on it
>highlight all the posts that showed precisely how you're a retard while offering a lame retort

I haven't watched the show in a billion years so I'm not sure if anonymity was ever a topic, but the point of people being more connected than ever yet also more isolated rings very true today

i think this was better than twin peaks, if that means anything

They're totally different shows.

>assuming Im the same person
>implying Im not just pretending to be retarded

She's so cute.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting but honestly it's just that I had a shitty day

You must love yourself user.

Watching the OP on a non-CRT TV/computer
It's just not the same

you must to be depressive af to understand and feel what SEL means in fact.

only otacucks dislike Lain

1 - Evangelion
2 - Lain
3 - Code Geass

youtube.com/watch?v=JlBLcLdTYr4

i felt the confusing scenes were similar

>you must to be depressive af to understand and feel what SEL means in fact.

If you are implying you understand and "feel" the show then please share your understanding with us user.

Why are replying to that post?

The show is thought provoking around a certain theme on purpose.

It is genuinely done in a way that its thought provoking and emotion evoking. There is no one clear explanation and that is the point people miss. It is not easy to create a show that would capture ambivalence, thought provocation and emotions in just image and ambient sound narrative with very few words. The atmosphere reflects this non linear chaos. There is no explanation and no clear answer because it was meant to be like that. Its the same in some philosophy works I read, Its not really that difficult concept to grasp but many people have trouble accepting uncertain ambivalent nonanswer with open ended interpretations that require your own theories.

Thats why its so successful and is talked to this day because it requires your projections and theory creations that create discussions around it with no definitive answers. Its like philosphy and the pondering of the nature of truth or anything. The show never tells you what the characters are feeling, thinking, their intentions or anything much just very few patterns and insights to make your own picture and interpretations.

first of all sorry for my bad english

basically you need to know how it feels to be alone and sad. i'm not kidding, Lain gets you in a world of solitude where only you exist and not exist at the same time. it has some Nietzsche and Schopenhauer thoughts in it, but you need to pay atention to realize that.

first time i watched Lain i was 15yo and i was depressed as fuck and i didn't understand a thing. when i was 18yo i was depressed again and re-watched the show, this time Lain has surprised me, i didn't notice the meaning of the show.

When you equate philosophy with "any interpretation goes" don't be surprised if people call you a pseudo-intellectual.

this desu

Lain is so fucking exact in it's social critics, in fact is more relevant now than in the 90s

that's the point user, even here in this IB you can pretend to be an dedicate hater of anyshit only to shitpost with greaty autismo

let me guess, you are like this IRL

This show has no plot, how is it good?

Provide me objective method of doing philosophy then. Philosophy is equal to anything goes. Science is a strict application of methodology around some philosophy fundamentals. You cant reduce philosophy because it becomes a dogma or a method then.

It's pretty interesting, it's like a parallel universe SEL (which may or may not be connected with the actual series) with a very different tone and themes. The drab art style reflects this pretty well. I'd recommend reading the laingame site's 'files' starting from the very first one, and once you start reaching the start of new forks read them until you're done with them. Eventually you'll reach a series of movies which is the main meat of the game, and after that you can stop reading unless you really like it.

>and it's only getting more accurate as time goes on
only if the poviders doesn't put a real identifier as a key for access to any webpage

this user got it

>666
I disagree with you Satan, SEL isn't going for the whole "What does it mean? It's up to you!" shtick. The themes it explores (which have already been discussed earlier in the thread) are fairly clear after watching it 2+ times. You're trying to apply relativism to a medium where the creator of the media in question had ideas that he was trying to get across to the viewer. It's not some sort of ink-blot test.

Yes, I always comment on anything any stranger says near me while walking down the street and always with a wicked sense of humor.

Provide the full meaning then. The author only set atmosphere and certain ideas around a theme.

let's all love lain

Nah man, the author's dead so anything goes. Don't think that you can get in the way of my pseudo-intellectual word vomit.

Also your use of "thought provoking" three times, which leads me to believe you are rusing.
>provide the full meaning then
Not my blog, re-read the thread, the themes have been covered about as well as Sup Forums can cover anything, unless it's with semen.

Still haven't explained your understanding of the show yet.

I wish Lain would throw psychiatry at me

>There is no one clear explanation and that is the point people miss.

Clear explanation of what?

What questions does the show ask?

Theme mainly revolves around connecting with people, I don't think the theme and the ideas the show explores are that hard to grasp. It's just the show goes about doing it in kind of an obtuse way that could put people off.

>the very first one
Is that Level 0 or Level 4?
0 would seem to be the first one, but both the game and the website start you out on 4. The whole thing is very confusing and it's hard to know where to start.

I just remember it being
>The nature of god blah blah blah
>Wires: BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>PRESENT DAY, PRESENT TIME

Level 0, starting from Env001. Eventually the Env chain will end and you can continue from the ID link with the arrow at the top of the page without returning to the main menu. I guess you could call this the main chain, with new ones accessible from the menu usually being shorter and leading to "dead ends". Some others also have a gigantic amount of pages, reaching like 200+ (even if short), so don't feel pressured into reading them unless you're really enjoying them.

oh thanks

The first couple of episodes were OK, I liked the club scene with the crazy guy with the gun, but after that it's just a snoozefest and I stopped watching. Doesn't help that the author couldn't have been more wrong about how he saw the internet developing.

>The final 3 eps
>snoozefest
Is this what shit taste personified looks like

I remember Lain being best girl.

So what you're saying is that there is a personality after all, but you don't like it.

you can't just put a list at the bottom of your post without explaining what it's a list of

1 - Flip Flappers
2 - Vinland Saga
3 - Medabots

"This is really good"
"This looks really boring"
"Keep on watching, it'll pay off"
"I'm on episode 6 and nothing interesting have happened so far. What is it even about?"
"Transhumanism!"
"Or you gonna be fucking shitting me!"

The last time I've been depressed I watched Madoka. I've laughed my ass off. A much better experience than if I watched anything from your list. Also, the movie was goood.

Let's love lain

I bought her book!

Nice.
Has this one been scanned?

Me too

(apple whisper)
Layer....03

>basically you need to know how it feels to be alone and sad

Everyone knows this feeling

I will post this every thread until you understand

A shame you seemed an honest man

So I just was this show the question it's always the same haha. Valavala just first time valavala. Insert "I don't umder stand" haha what a great LAIN referents. Ha Ha that's a referents to SERIAL EXPERIENTS LAIN I watched that show I UNTASTUD.

I GOTTA GIVE IT REPOSE:
[Reply]
Regret you honest man.

OH WOW IT S A INSIDE JOOOKE WOW! IM IT TOO

[Reply]
Elopes you hold a deer.

A HA HA HA WOW IT'S LAIN IT'S THE SHOW It'S REALLY SERIAL EXPERIEMNTS LAIN. ME TOO ME TOO.

[Reply]
Wilt anischer in and near.

W O A H. IT'S THE THE REAL OPENING. IT'S THE REAL THING. WOW.

Waiter, give my compliments to the chef. This is good pasta.

The last 2 episodes are the best thing ever, but I have to admit it drags a bit in the middle

You first.