What is your favourite Evangelion episode?

What is your favourite Evangelion episode?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lCfYrxx_hBE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The threesome episode.

Rei II

Episode 22 director's cut.

Dance like you want to win is the only correct answer.

Dance Like You Want to Win.

The last 5 or so episodes are all 10/10.

eva is shit, weeb

On a side note, I find Evangelion to be endlessly rewatchable.

The one with Rei's monologue
is a strong contender as well

Episode 19. Iso definitely has some scenes that are more technically impressive in his filmography (Digimon, Ghost in the Shell, End of Evangelion), but the beast Eva is just completely and utterly terrifying. The way it moves just gives me shivers.

Other favourite episodes are 1, 16 and the finale. That being said, every episode is great and I find the show compelling every time I watch it. Anno has the same knack for building up a scene as Miyazaki. It just sucks you right in.

I rewatch it every new year's eve and day. There's always something you missed whether it is in the cinematography or symbolism, that's what makes it really fun.

Why do people dislike Magma Diver? I find it fun and it offers some lore on the Angels.

Tsurumaki the god. This episode looks a lot like FLCL, composition wise.

I don't mind the episode, but it's the second "kiddiest" episode in the series to episode 9. It's whimsical and breaks suspension of disbelief at times.

Episodes 1-7 and 24-26 are my all time favorites. I also like all the Rei episodes and some of the later episodes are good too. What ain't good though, are the Asuka episodes. She manage to ruin the show for a while, giving it the worst episode yet (magma diver). Good thing that even in the worst episodes of the series, there is still so much greatness hidden in the details and characters.

The one where Shinji grabbed Rei's naked boob.

The only time in anime, where le accidental boob grab was used to develop characters and not for ecchi. Sasuga Anno.

Then Anno was surprised by all the Rule34...

Ambivalence and Introjection

Episode 26 always makes me cry, so I guess that one.

The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still because:
1) Shinji, Rei and Asuka all fight together,
2) Asuka realizes she can be a bitch and apologizes to Shinji and Rei, and
3) It discusses the political structure of the city government of Tokyo-3.

this. it's what makes eva eva to me. well besides end of eva.

episodes 19, 22, and 24 are also some favorites

>no one's mentioned episode 15
Where are my episode 15bros at?

the only right answer

I can't choose, they are all so good.

None, i dont watch old animu with inferior animations.

Back to tumblr, faggot.

Anno-sama we have sinned

>Why do people dislike Magma Diver? I find it fun and it offers some lore on the Angels.

When I first watch Eva years ago, I hated MagmaDiver because Asuka's suit looked idiotic, and they they drew Unit 02 way too small. However, I rewatched it recently, and I thought it was pretty good.

more for the backstory than for Kaji dying

ep 6 since it has best girl. pic related.

the angel is pretty boring and the thermal expansion fanservice felt a little too blatant, at least for me.

damn never thought about how small eva 02 is in that room compared to how big she should be. I like the episode because it has a nice sense of tension.

agreed

I'm watching it for the second time right now. I don't remember many specifics yet, but the episodes that I've always had in my mind most are 8 and 9, when asuka is introduced.

I don't know the show well enough yet to pick a favorite, but seeing the dynamics of all the characters get turned on their heads with asuka (and kaji too i guess) is really interesting, not to mention the generally more light-hearted tone that reinvigorates the show with a new energy.

sure it's blatant.
but it's fine since Asuka's character is so perfectly impudent and childish there, you really get a sense of her self. The ending part in the onsen is far worse.

Unironically magma diver

Why?

So I can bait replies

I think we are in the midst of a Magma Diver renaissance.

Splitting of the Breast.

>How disgusting

気持ち悪い

The one where NERV sabotages the robot Evangelion.

The episode is extremely out of place when you consider the rest of the series, and that's why it's my favorite. NERV come out of it looking like a bunch of terrorists.

Ep. 7

Episode 13 has a special place in my heart. I've always loved the shots of Ritsuko typing away inside of Casper.

I find myself appreciating the earlier "monster of the week" styled episodes the older I get. The pre-tonal change feels like a completely different show. Have to remind myself that this is the same Eva as the later eps & EoE.

>Ambivalence
my nigga

After this episode the story went to darkness, I like to remember the brightness in dark.

Fugg, this is hard.

If I were to list out all of my 'favorite' episodes, I would end up listing about half of the series.

I like all of the ones that actually have Eva combat for obvious reasons.

I like the ones with the trippy internal monologues and thought-scapes and realizations; they are so surreal and haunting.

Same. I am going through the series for like, the fifth time right now.

If I absolutely, gun to my head, had to pick a single favorite, it would probably be this one.

The whole scene is just so intense.

I dropped the show after magma diver.

I would unironically prefer to watch magic schoolbus over evangelion.

The one with the tits

But what is your least favourite episode, Sup Forums?

Even without the audio I still get the shivers

Damn guess it's time to rewatch Eva

I always get bored watching the one with Ritsuko and the Magi and the hacker angel. I have just never found Ritsuko all that interesting. And though I liked the idea of the nanomachine-hivemind-super-evolving-intelligence-biocomputer-hacker angel, it's not really something you can beat up with an Eva.

Kono oozora ni
youtube.com/watch?v=lCfYrxx_hBE

I was blown away that an angel could do that
Plus it set up non-monster angels for later down the line

It's strange, I always liked Ritsuko but only really as a side character, when she was the main focus I have to agree that it's a little boring

also has a point

Do you have it with sound?

I think that one's really clever.

Rewatching the MOTW episodes made me realize each angel is based on some real world threat. Natural disasters, Computer hackers, nuclear bombs, power grid failure, etc. Makes those episodes much more enjoyable the second time through.

The Lelie episode mostly because it really grabs you from such a place of comfort into the heavy introspection and heavy themes without the build up like in the Toji episode. I always have a hard one for when I don't know have a clue on what the fuck is going on and that episode really was it.

I love episode 21 for its atmosphere, its like those old conspiracy documentary

>director's cut
No such thing. That's just a marketing gimmick in the west. It's denoted 22' (twenty-two prime) for a reason. It's a whole new episode that fits into the EoE timeline.

I've rewatched it so many times I ruined it for myself. So I'll have to disagree on it being "endlessly" re-watchable.

>Anno
You mean Masayuki.

You're an idiot.

I mean Anno.

You're a moron then. The episode was storyboarded and edited by Masayuki. Anno only wrote the script for it (I forgot with who else).

I was speaking in reference to the series in its entirety.

The ones where the mysteries are revealed. Any time Gendo acts like a supervillain and gets away with it.

This one

By far, the one where his Dad makes him try to kill the other kid from school.
I haven't watched Eva in a long time, I don't remember any of their names.

You're wrong about that one too. Anno imprints his view on a title mostly through the scripts (a good example is GUnbuster, where the last two episodes are the most clearly "Anno" because he co-wrote the script for them; visually, apart from the black and white thing, they're not that different from the previous 4. He storyboarded them all with Shinji Higuchi). Visually, everything you associate with Anno is actually a mix of Masayuki, Tsurumaki, and Shinji Higuchi with dashes of Anno here and there. He has worked with these 3 guys (although not always all of them) on everything he ever did, including Love & Pop and Shiki Jitsu. His only visual signature is the focus on mechanical things, especially electrical wires and polls, or the weaponry waste in episode 1 of Eva for example. Everything else is Masayuki, Tsurumaki and Shinji Higuchi (the latter of whom also co-wrote some of the best episodes in Evangelion with Anno, the Touji Eva test ones).
Another notable example is episode 24, who was entirely done by Masayuki (apart from the script, written by Anno).
The train scenes who are now so iconic Eva? Tsurumaki came up with them, first time in episode 16 which he directed.

I could go on. I think I made my point.

>The train scenes
I am talking about the introspective scenes in the tram at dusk, with the orange light.

this place is full of amazement

Even if that's true it doesn't really have any bearing on what I said.

It has everything to do with what you said. It's not Anno who has a knack for "building up a scene".

Okay, in that case I just don't believe you.

Yeah, you're a typical Eva shitter. Can't even read the credits at the end of the episodes, yet he thinks he knows anything about anything. Let me guess, Anno also invented tsundere or some shit.

No, I'm pretty familiar with the credits of each episode.

Yeah this.Too bad it had to be the episode that didn't get a bd

I very much doubt that. So let me help you out with that. Anno storyboarded only parts of episodes 1 and 2, 7, 10, 14, 20, 23, 25 and 26.
On 1 and 2 most of the storyboarding was done by Masayuki. On 7 (one of the weakest ones visually, keep in mind) Anno was helped by Sugiyama Keiichi. On 10 by Kaga Tsuyoshi.
14 is the only one he did solo, but that one is mostly a recap and even the new scenes have a lot of reused footage. Episode 20 and 23 were mostly storyboarded by Tsurumaki.
Episode 25 was mostly reused footage, and even on this one Tsurumaki helped with storyboarding.
Episode 26 was mostly storyboarded by Masayuki and Tsurumaki.

On EoE, episode 25' was storyboarded by Masayuki and Tsurumaki, with a couple scenes by Shinji Higuchi (I can't remember exactly which ones, but I think part of the unit 2 fight was one).
Episode 26' was storyboarded by Anno and Shinji Higuchi, including the iconic sandbox scene. Anno did the live action part solo, and that scene is probably the most typically Anno of the whole film, with the focus on mechanical things and all.

Doubt away, doesn't make much of a difference to me. All that information is just a few clicks away.

I am sorry for killing your idol, but Anno is not the auteur you think he is.

Like I said, I don't really believe you. Wouldn't really consider him an idol either, though I do like Eva.

That was in reference to you comparing him with Miyazaki (and actual auteur filmmaker), which is entirely unwarranted. Anno does not come anywhere close to the degree of involvement Miyazaki has with his own films, who storyboards them in their entirety and also corrects every cut of animation personally. In contrast the mise en scene of Anno's work is mostly not his own.

>I don't really believe you
These are cold hard facts I'm afraid.

Oh sure, I never meant to say he was as involved as Miyazaki.

ep 9

>thread is full of /m/ contrarians choosing the shitty monster of the week episodes as their favourites

ep 11

Why can't we have more Eva thread like this? A discussion that doesn't devolve immediately into waifu shit.