Utena vs. Tutu

Both are beloved shows about your typical fairytale stories getting deconstructed. But which one is better?

Utena

These are nice shows. Why must you get people to fight each other OP?

They're both excellent in very different ways. Comparing them is not likely to be very fruitful. I liked Tutu more.

Thanks fo reminding me that I still need to watch Tutu.

Haven't watched Tutu yet. Sell it to me.
I really liked Utena for its visuals, direction and narrative structure though the more I think about it the less substance it seems to have.

Utena is something that becomes enjoyable after a handful of rewatches so you can pick up on all the symbolism and begin interpreting all the odd character interactions correctly. Tutu is better from an entertainment point of view.

DANCE FIGHT!
It's on, Sista.

I'm shit at selling things, but whatever.
It's an odd meta-narrative about fairy stories and ballet that's made simple enough for a young audience to follow without talking down to them. Plus it's one of the best things Junichi Sato has ever made, which is a pretty high bar.

I liked Tutu more, but Utena is pretty nice as well.
Penguindrum > Utena though.

Easily

What was Sanetoshi's motives?

Utena is better
But Tutu is very good too. I think it's more fun than Utena.

Bring attention to the child broiler children, or something like that.

Tutu was less pretentious

They're both great but personally I prefer Tutu.

Penguindrum isn't even as good as yurikuma.

>Pretentious
Do you know what that word means? Utena didn't try to be anything more than it was. Do you call Evangelion "pretentious" as well?

Calm down, Utenafag

Tutu not even a contest

Princess tutu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Utena

>Penguindrum isn't even as good as yurikuma.
now that's a terrible taste
Utena>MWP>>>>>>>>dogshit>>>>>YKA

I loved Utena but I couldn't stand watching Penguindrum and dropped it halfway. I didn't know it was from the same director

What fairy tale was Utena?

>Penguindrum isn't even as good as Yuri Kuma
Don't be fucking stupid.

Der Rosenkavalier, an opera by Strauss. It's a very, very loose adaptation.

I'm three episodes from finishing Tutu and while it's good, it's nowhere near Utena. Tutu's just too simple in comparison.

SHIT NIGGER, pic very related.

If this doesn't sell you and you aren't fucking rooting for a little duck fighting getting mind-
raped by a child murdering harlot and fucking fate/god has decreed BAD END onry for you
ducky because lolz, I don't know what else to tell you.

>the more I think about it the less substance it seems to have

It was a bunch of soap opera garbage with a limp dick ending. Only redeeming qualities being seizon senryaky sequences. Not enough.

Both are lacking but Ikuhara's visual language is much stronger.

Tutu = Utena. It's as simple as that.

OR A SWORD FIGHT...

utena was boring af tutu is a masterpiece

ily famboni. Nice opinion my cool dude.

I've never even thought of comparing these two shows. They are totally different from each other. I like Tutu more because I'm a slut for classical music.

tutu

>The heroine's rival/antagonist is a stripper who uses dark blood magic to sacrifice children to a chaos god by draining them of all their hopes and dreams via semi-literal mind rape.

Trying too hard. I know, I get it, you want to seem like the cool Sup Forums contrarian by liking the less popular clusterfuck more than the more popular series that happens to be one of the most influential things ever animated, but nah, it ain't happening.

Tutu.

Not trying to be edgy. It's just my honest to God experience with it. I allow you to prove me wrong.

Not really a contrarian opinion, plenty of people like Penguindrum more than Utena, including me. The latter has its problems too, and being influential doesn't exclude it from recognizing them.
I liked Tutu better than both anyways. I think it's of the most artistically sincere works in the entire medium in terms of artistic direction, storytelling, and sound design.

Both shows were drawn out and had a lot of shit that was unnecessary for the central plot, but I believe that Utena had this problem much worse. There were many characters that faded in and out but had no direct impact on the conclusion. Utena could have literally been a 12 episode anime. I think that people like Utena more simply because it plays at the 2deep4you shit but Tutu was overall better, more diverse in its story and had a more impactful ending.

Utena is much better and a lightning in a bottle production that can never be replicated on television. The pinnacle of the medium. Tutu is fine but Sato Junichi was a mediocre director by then and it's overall nothing groundbreaking.

Haven't watched or read Utena yet. Which is the overall better experience?

Watch, you don't read it

That scene was where Tutu became one of my favorite anime.

Rose of Versilles > Tutu > Utena.

Utena: you'll hate everyone by the end but it's still good.
Tutu: you'll love everyone by the end and it's amazing.

>deconstructed
Fuck off

>The Nemuro Memorial episode of Utena
One of the best anime episodes ever.

>not loving everyone, even Akio and Touga by the end

Switch Utena and Tutu, and this will be accurate.

Sailor moon > Utena > Rose of Versilles > Tutu > Penguindrum.

What was wrong with Touga other than being kind of a slut which is pretty much like everyone else in the series?

It's pretty dickish to make your little sister think she's not actually your sister and then proceed to bully and then seduce her, also faked his injury and got Saionji kicked out, and he was just a dick in general to Saionji

I only ever bothered finishing Tutu cause i thought Utena got a little bit too pretentious at times

Saionji did nothing wrong and never lied about anything, ever

ESPECIALLY when he cooked Nanami's egg

>implying he actually cooked Nanami's egg

where's all the duck butt

They are nothing alike user. Your comparison is superficial.

was utena also a slut?

yes

how slutty we talking here

>Utena could have literally been a 12 episode anime.
That would mean 27 less chances to hear Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku. This invalidates your argument.

Also way less dueling songs which is an even bigger sin

Fuck I need to listen to the soundtracks again now.

I love both. But Utena isn't all about the conclusion, it's a character analysis. Every single episode, every single line, every single frame, yes even the Nanami episodes, are loaded with meaning beyond what is immediately going on/shown.

If I had to tell someone what show is better, I'd say Utena hands down, but the comparison isn't really fair. Tutu is simple with simple themes, but between the music's historical context and the cinematography, there's definitely deeper meanings behind a lot of the scenes. For the most part, everything in Tutu can be taken as face value and seen as "power of love and caring".

Utena for the most part is very straightforward plot, but if you rewatch it, you'll see that even the first arc has so much deeper meaning to it and that's because each episode builds up a semiotic relationship that spreads across the entire series. Ultimately, Utena is about control, social, physical, and emotional.

Each duel song has specific lyrics that directly relate to the character's arc. Biblical, Greek mythos, and other religious references are littered in all of them.

jesus, that barely made sense. I'm tired and mobile posting in bed. This isn't how I wanted to spread my love for Utena. I'm working on an analysis of each episode of Utena. I started a week ago and it's ganna take a long time. Between college and a a shit job, it's ganna take at least 3months. The goal is to get people into Utena by being a "2deep4u fag" and then hopefully bring up some ideas and what not that make fans of the show think of Utena in a way they haven't before /blog

I think she banged both Akio and Touga.

Utena had better characters, style, ost and etc. While Tutu was more likeable and intereting. I like how Tutu is dark and a total deconstruction of fairytales, yet it is always family friendly. Goes to show that with good writing, you can do dark/adult themes, even in a childrens show.

did the d shatter her mind pussy

Touga wishes he could smash that pussy
Akio onscreen did

how hard, did she scream, was she submissive afterward, did they show her ass?

They're both shit.

Nope, but bitch was deliriously talking about cooking breakfast during the act, so you know that curry dick got her good

give me an episode

Well, the way that I interpreted Utena, is that everyone had sex. When it is implied, it happened. Touga and Utena went up the dueling arena at the night and had a romantic moment, before it cuts to the other day. It's mildly implied that they fugged, so im gonna take it as a fact.

33, don't expect that much though

Episode 27.

I thought it was a fucking lie but holy shit it's real. Damn, curry dick broke her good.

It's actually a really sad scene and even without context it will not get your dick hard. She is essentially being raped. Yes she doesn't say no, yes she went to his place, but she is very clearly not into the actual sex. She's only sleeping with him because she thinks he's her prince. The whole series is about control. Emotional, physical, and social. Akio put her in situation where she is incapable of saying no. It isn't exaclty rape, but she completely disassociates herself from the act of sex that it's pretty obvious she only did it because she wants to be an "adult" and to be closer to the idea that she had of her prince.

She's going over groceries and cooking because she's trying to cope by thinking about "normal things utena does" which doesn't include taking Curry Dick.

Absolutely not. If Utena had sex with Touga she'd realize that having sex with a perceived prince doesn't get her closer to Dio or make her an adult and then she wouldn't have taken Curry Dick.

>It's actually a really sad scene and even without context it will not get your dick hard.
Guess again.

Nearly missed that scene the first time. Damn you Ikuhara for putting important shit like this into recap episodes.

got her pussy mind broken

Rue a best and i'll dance-fight the shit out of anyone who says otherwise.

>Absolutely not. If Utena had sex with Touga she'd realize that having sex with a perceived prince doesn't get her closer to Dio or make her an adult and then she wouldn't have taken Curry Dick.
She got the curry-dick in episode 33, and she spent a ''romantic'' night in the dueling arena with touga, in episode 36 (the same episode, where her prince ideal crumbles).

Utena is really pretty in that scene. I just do not find myself getting aroused by it. Anthy tho...

How can you not be aroused by her desperate broken ravings about food?

It's a shame how hard they ruined Anthy's looks in the movie, compared to just how ridiculously hot she is when the bun goes down

Ahhh. You're right, I totally misremembered the order and made some shit up.
But I do remember thinking I had a good reason as to why I didn't think Touga and Utena had sex. I think it was something like blah blah Touga says he doesn't actually get off to sex, it's more of a power trip for him and him getting off to adoration. So when him and Utena are together are he confesses to her while on his knees, it seems genuine and honest, like he actually loves her? So maybe they just cuddle? I don't know. I'd have to rewatch the series to have a better answer. But I'm probably wrong and just holding on to muhhhh purity and innocence.

>Akio fucking Wakaba
>Touga fucking Nanami
>Implying

>be akio
>fuck literally everyone
>even fuck a dude who fucked the girl you fucked

>fuck her best friend too

>>Akio fucking Wakaba
The biggest fuckboi on the whole campus took a horny teen like Wakaba for a few hour ride in his sex-mobile, and Utena wasn't allowed to come along. If this does not raise suspicion, I dont know what will.
>>Touga fucking Nanami
I took the Akio car scenes as metaphorical sex scenes, since a lot of subtext is there.

Too bad he didnt get some /ss/ in with the little blond brat...

I’ll give you Wakaba. I forgot about that.

Nanami however distinctly hates the idea of incest, since she’s a complete prude.

Nanami's the one person who's pretty explicit about the fact that she didn't want any sexy times though

Just rewatched the episode, and Nanami was the only one who outright rejected the passanger in the Akio car. Funny how in the start of the series, she is the biggest and most hateable basic bitch, yet in the end, she is sympathetic, interesting and even walks away with some dignity.