Manga Publisher Panel at San Diego Comic Con

>"We now have 7 solid years of data that prove that manga titles that are heavily scanlated don't sell." @ Manga Publisher Panel
Is this actually true, Sup Forums? Should scanlations basically stop to increase the rate of published manga titles licensed in English?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI
youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, they should stop licensing stuff, especially when they're years behind in terms of actually releasing the product.

What kind of bullshit lie is that?

They should publish finished works offering some level of quality. They are idiots if they get licenced shit they don’t know how is going to end.

>Things that were translated literally years ago don't sell for $13 a volume
You don't say

Doubt. And even if true, then fucking adapt and speed up your process.

yeah, haha, naruto doesn't sell

Maybe because they give up on translating manga like Gintama.

Or maybe they should realize that not many people want to buy shonenshit that takes up two bookshelves in their room.

People don't like censorship as well.

I believe that, actually. The only manga series I've bought were ones that were dropped from scanlation after they were licensed.

So, they're admitting they're redundant and obsolete as middlemen?

>walk to a Barnes and Noble
>pop by the manga section
>see Watamote, I Am A Hero, Bride's Story, Oyasumi Punpun, Golden Kamuy

Bull-fucking-shit. None of those manga series would be picked up if it weren't for scanlators hyping the shit out of them.

I can't believe I've got to keep bringing up Neil Gaiman for this.

youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

You have to be an idiot to think they don't hurt actual sales.

Where's your evidence to the contrary?

You have to be an idiot to think they don't improve actual sales.

Nah that's hella not true. Why are they lying like that.

What's considered "heavily" scanlated? Most groups throw a tantrum if someone else does a release.

Picked up, yes. But after the series are licensed it does hurt sales. Sup Forums would totally shell out $10 for their bara otter meat historical manga if it wasn't online.

How good a thing like Naruto or Dragon Ball sell? I mean the manga or Blue-ray? Or the merch is the thing that sells more outside Japan?

WSJ title by niggerstream.

>What's considered "heavily" scanlated?
Whatever they want to sell.

>no specific metrics
>no proof of any sort
>vague terms that can mean whatever they want them to mean
It's kind of cute, really.

I wouldn't. Many publishers are doing digital releases now anyway.

Golden kamuy would be ignored without anons posting the translated chapters and raws here.

Of course scanlations hurt manga sales. What hurt manga sales even more are manga scanlation aggregate sites that rose quickly in the mid to late 00s; was around the time the manga sales in the US started to nose dive too.

the explosion of manga as a cultural medium over the years.

The reason all of these publishers want a piece of the action is because of all the passion online scanlators had. The only reason it's done is because there is money in it and capitalism wins out. They wouldn't continue to do it if no one is buying anything.

It's probably not selling anywhere near what they project which is what they complain about because they don't understand how quickly a manga can lose popularity due to the death of a character like L or the like but that has nothing to due with scanlation

>Should scanlations basically stop
Most scanlation teams do stop after a series gets licensed though, don't they?

fuck off dipshit tripfag

Frankly, the Engl*sh manga market should eat shit and fucking die.
I buy my manga from the bookstores raw. That way the author actually gets some money out of it.

Similar to music,i find that i download alot of music, but then i also buy the physical copies with stuff i like, had that music not been available to find and listen to for free, i would never had bought it otherwise.

This, retard who only read shonenshit are rarely buy things if they can get it for free. It's the buyfag who loves niche thing that will cash out for anything they deem worthy of collectible.

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

That is not "evidence" at all. That is circumstantial data and a lot of assumptions made from the position of a consumer outside the industry.

But people started even buying official releases of those manga when they started to get popular in here, I honestly don't personally care if the English manga localisation industry can't pick up as many titles as they want to publish if previous scanlations made would hurt their sales, but if they actually have proof of that (just like their statement at San Diego Comic Con affirms) it would be reasonable to stop "consuming" scanlations for the most part or if you scanlate stuff (Sup Forums has "prominent" scanlators visitting the site 24/7 and almost always active a scanlation thread too) to stop doing it altogether unless it's for really obscure titles at most?
It doesn't help that the immediate reply to this statement when it was published on twitter was this:
>@debaoki
"If your knee jerk response is "define how much = heavily scanlated" you're kinda missing the point"

Buyfags who love niche things would never buy disgusting filthy translations. We buy the originals off Amazon, and just read scanlations if we care enough about reading it in another language.

Kobayashi on Amazon is only half way through the released volumes.

It is [current year] and i still have to deal with official US releases being years behind Japan.

i want to support the manga-ka, but shit.

>i want to support the mangaka

See

At the very least jnovel picked up on this, they practically shit out a few novels every month because they can skip on the red tape. and if it sells well enough it gets a physical release to justify it.
Personally speaking though I love Seven seas for what they do but is it that hard to speed this shit the fuck up? If your 2+ volumes behind because of spread out releases your doing it wrong. Because doing so inclines people more to read this shit scanlated online inevitably dropping future sales.

>Nobody buys mango.
No shit, a lot of series are way behind in translations, have bad translations or just get dropped for no fucking reason.

amazon jp?

cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf
Maybe relevant.

The delay is too great.

If I could grab an up to date Shounen Jump or YuriHime on my way to the check out at a grocery store here in the U.S, I would gladly pay for it

But that will never happen

what is that gorilla doing speaking at a weeaboo panel for tibetian mandalapainting?

call the zoo warden, por favor mi hermanas

>heavily scanlated

wtf 'heavily' means? Download number?
The problem with mainstream manga is you literary need to go to book store and buying censored copy with SJW-culturary-adjusted translation.

One punch man already proven webcomic can be a success and has no worry about digital scanlation.