What went wrong?

what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

gwern.net/docs/eva/2010-crc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I liked it well enough. A lot of the problems that people have with it are that the film turns into a confusing mess while being judged as an individual movie unlike 1.00 and 2.00.

Third impact didn't happen and kill every one of those pricks

Your mom

>the film turns into a confusing mess while being judged as an individual movie
..? It turns into a confusing mess while judged as the third part of a series, too

I'll tell you what wrong. The true story behind it all. Hideaki Anno, Tsurumaki and the big names behind behind Khara stopped concerning themselves about writing a story that had meaning, or a message. Instead they focused on giving their own favorite characters (Asuka, Kaworu) the best possible representation, and their least favorite character (Rei) the worst representation.

They are, as everyone who knows them will tell you including their spouses - otaku. Huge otaku, who care intensively about character popularity - hence this is the only comment any of them has made on the reaction to 3.33. Rei is the most iconic and most popular character in the franchise and in Japan, and this drives them mad. Their new EVA works, notably 3.33, is their way of "evening the score".

That's why Kaworu has around 26 times more screentime and focus whilst being elevated to a "God Tier Looper" who knows everything.
That's why Asuka is rewritten to have her flaws removed, and becomes a super human with glowing eyes with tons of action scenes.
That's why Rei is severely downsized in terms of combat ability, split into two characters, deferred to as a clone doll, and portrayed as a pathetic existence no one cares about (but still obsess over).

Either 3.33 is a perfect microcosm representing how much Asuka, Kaworu and some Eva fans hate Rei, as well as Shinji for caring about her, or it's quite simply Anno and Tsurumaki taking advantage of their positions as writers to peddle their favorite characters.

At any rate, that's what went wrong with 3.33.
tl;dr: they focused on kaworu and asuka pandering to the point of ruining Rei's character in the story and dropping any attempt at creating quality characters.

This as well.

Brainlets couldn't handle timeskip.

>what went wrong?

Don't listen too this retard, he is just mad about waifus. Everything he wrote is willfull misinterpretation to justify his rei-faggotry. He writes the samething in every Eva thread.

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>someone insulted my waifu provider franchise better come to mai husbando annos defense with a boogeyman accusation

Throw me your best shot then, what went wrong with 3.33 and why?

it is a vast improvment compared to 2.22

The only reason why 3,33 is what it is because Anno did not like the direction 2.22 was going.

>ackchyually

>it is a vast improvment compared to 2.22
In what way? The only thing 3.33 does better than 2.22 is being a disappointment. I guess that's a category?

>The only reason why 3,33 is what it is because Anno did not like the direction 2.22 was going.
Anno is the one that set the course for 2.22 and 1.11, seeing as it's his project alone.

Maybe he changed his mind? Anyway, this: is what actually happened regardless of what one may theorize.

It's been a while since I watched it, but it's biggest problem is that it feels incomplete. We only get vage hints as to why the world became as it did and how it works currently. We also get no idea were the story should be heading. Also Shinji is being a retard the entire movie, which sometimes feels justifyed as when he went with Rei. But when he ignored Kawouru about not pulling out the spear it was just stupid. Which diminished Kawouru's death, to simply Shinji's retaredness, which was one of the best moments in NGE.
And ulitmatly at the end of the movie it feels that almost nothing happend as if you could have skiped the entire midsection and not miss anything.

Disclaimer though 3.33 was the only rebuild that I liked. I also prefer Rei to Asuka.

Well let's analyze your analysis:
>but it's biggest problem is that it feels incomplete
This is an accurate observation. Not only does it feel incomplete, it objectively IS incomplete. It's shallow.

>We also get no idea were the story should be heading.
Also an accurate observation. Which is because the story has lost its credibility. It's shown that anything can happen and that it won't justify itself. It could be going anywhere, and unlike a story like TTGL where that is the main draw and a plus, for a story that's selling itself as a serious work, it's a strong negative.

>And ulitmatly at the end of the movie it feels that almost nothing happend as if you could have skiped the entire midsection and not miss anything.
Definitely. This is because those midsections don't carry any plot-relevant information. It's only filled with negatively slanted trivia about other characters, such as Rei and Rei Q, in addition to fujo-pandering like the piano scene and well, every Kaworu scene. Skipping that section only means you skip out on otaku-pandering.

but these:
>Shinji being a retard
>diminished Kaworu's death
aren't really accurate observations. Shinji's "retardation" is arguably understandable considering the situation he's in, and he has quite clearly lost his sanity. There's no point getting worked up about Shinji not performing. As for Kaworu's death, this is just your opinion. After all, his original death was also the result of his own stupidity. The difference is that the setting in the original was well written as were the surrounding characters, which allows episode 24 to have the credibility 3.33 does not have.

So besides your opinion on Kaworu and Shinji we agree that 3.33 has tons of issues. Right?

>is because Anno did not like the direction 2.22 was going.
and he is the one who dictates that direction

Found the ironic weeb.

Anno is butthurt that Rei is better than Asuka and spends his post-EVA years writing fanfiction that makes Asuka look better and Rei worse.

Yes, but it has nothing to do with some personal vendetta Anno have against Rei nor is it because he loves Asuka and was trying to pander too otakus. If I was going to guess it why it feels shallow it's because Anno tried to stretch out episode 24 along with Rei's backstory so that 4.44 could be something akin too EoE. I honestly feel that Rei was handled well and if Anno wanted to pander too otakus he would have made Rei, which is one of the most popular characters ever, not an empty husk of her former self but instead make her more simular to how she was in 2.22 which was a movie of pandering. But he did that anyway in order to make this new world feel even more foreign to Shinji and therefore us by taking the person which Shinji risked his life for in the previous movie and making her entierly different.
Also the movie fetures very little of Asuka and when she does have screentime she is only hating on Shinji so it's seems weird too think that this was made as to pander to Askua-fags.

>Crying Sailor Mars Ikuhara

Lost it

That doesn't explain 2.22. I'm a Reifag but you're delusional.

Like you said, Anno dictated 2.22 as well. What if he did it just to wreck it in 3.33?

There's more though: the ending of 2.22 wasn't even Anno's idea. They got a third party, someone not on the team they invited (Enokido) to pitch an idea. He wanted to save Rei. When Enokido did a "re-enactment" of the scene, he said Anno and the rest looked at him with very cold eyes.

So Anno "accepts" the idea, despite being dismissive of it, just to shit on it later? Whatever you may think, 3.33 did happen and it may also be that Anno wasn't thinking of ruining Rei until 3.33.

>If I was going to guess it why it feels shallow it's because Anno tried to stretch out episode 24 along with Rei's backstory
We know this isn't true. 3.33 has far less of Rei's backstory than the original, and explicitly cut out a lot of it and changed Rei's whole character so that the original backstory no longer fits.

>I honestly feel that Rei was handled well and if Anno wanted to pander too otakus he would have made Rei, which is one of the most popular characters ever, not an empty husk of her former self but instead make her more simular to how she was in 2.22 which was a movie of pandering.

Well that's one way one can pander to the otaku. Another possibility is that he can pander to otaku who hates Rei - the aggressive Asuka and Kaworu fans who love Evangelion for shipping. In this light, now rewriting the "clone reveal scene" to focus on the fact that Rei is a batch of clones without the focus on godhood in the original, and as well rewriting Rei to be closer to Yui and making her an explicit clone of Yui makes sense. This is why only people who dislike Rei feel that she was handled well - not a coincidence.

>Also the movie fetures very little of Asuka

Not at all. You don't need to feature much of a character in order to make it popular - Kaworu has little screentime yet is comparatively popular. You just need to focus on the right things, and Asuka Shikinami is massively popular as a result. There's no need to speculate here.

>Yes, but it has nothing to do with some personal vendetta Anno have against Rei
>or is it because he loves Asuka and was trying to pander too otakus.
Well, that's your opinion. I don't think the evidence is in your favor, because at this point we're only thinking about whether he intended to pander to otakus and ruin Rei or not. The facts are that Anno did pander to otaku and ruin Rei, so who are you to say that "he didn't mean to"?

anybody else think the film series was lackluster in general? everything felt rushed and all of the "BERSERKUU" stuff felt played out. i didn't feel the emotional hook that the original series provided.

here's tht thing, the production for 2.22 was riddled with re-wrights; so much that its enough material for a feature film.

the Mari-Asuka dynamic with who will pilot unit 2, ending with Asuka in a defeated state, and eager to pilot unit-3.

Mari being a substitute Rei (she had fake injuries in the same way Rei had in 1.0)

ect...

Anywho its a ton of material was dropped that would have made the film a more cohesiveness experience.

hell Im not surprised by the "retcon" of the 3.33 trailer.

The Mari-Asuka dynamic is yet another devious way Anno plotted to popularize his waifu because he was butthurt about Rei being more popular.

Internally, in the 2.0 CRC, Mari was referred to as "Asuka's Kaworu" - and as you see, there's plenty of yuri-suggestive scenes, as are there in 3.33 and concept art, not to mention the merchandise.

The takeaway here is that Mari exists purely for one reason: to ensure that Asuka becomes more popular through having the Yuri fanbase back Asuka up in popularity polls and merchandise sales. If you are the type to buy a Mari figure - a lesbian in the Manga - you're going to want to pair her with an Asuka figure.

Only the first half was bad, but in a stifling kind of way. It got a lot better after Kaworu bonds with Shinji. The ending actually seems more optimistic than 2.22's ending. The trio has reunited, in some sense.

0/10

The second half is the same kind of bad the first was. It's all unrealistic nonsense minted at pandering to Asuka and Kaworu otaku.

Another kaworu and tumblr denial about asuka ending thread, and thus we wait till the end of 4.0

>I'm a Reifag
>implying

not any yuri in the crc user. Do you want Yuri or something?

see that is clearly an act of hand holding

>that is clearly an act of hand holding
stop fooling around user.

I also posted that user. It's the rebuild equivalent of (pic related)

With Asuka and Mari. There's also a cut part where Asuka feeds Mari.

There's a reason they referred to her as Shinji's Kaworu - AKA a shallow homo-pandering """love interest""".

>There's also a cut part where Asuka feeds Mari
what the hell? where? I've never seen that.

gwern.net/docs/eva/2010-crc

Reifags were a mistake.

They make me feel worse than when my own grandfather died.

never mind

Kinda weird, you think Misato would ask Shinji to do that.

Never mind,
> Kaji feeds Shinji and Asuka feeds Mari...

>Reifags were a mistake.
>They make me feel worse than when my own grandfather died.

Reminder, you are the reason Rebuild and the franchise sucks, the low quality garbage Anno produces and the shitfest that was 3.33 is a mirror of your own, hateful and insecure psyche

Misato and Kaji were grooming Shinji into their shota love toy.

I liked it well enough. I guess the intention was to make the audience like shinji and ask what happened between the end of 2.55 and 3.0. Would like a movie that too place between 2.55 and 3

HOMO
PANDERING

3.33 was an inside job

see You didn't get it.

It was supposed to be so superficial and confusing people would give up in questioning or criticizing it and just buy the merchandise because "eva is deep you, don't try to understand it".

MFW Anno developed a cooking fetish because of his wife. it explains all.

its adorable and mfw Anno has a fulfilled love life than the rest of us.

>3.33 was an inside job
its 2.22

Anno was behind 2.22 too!

I think it's the best out of the three movies just because of the fact that the plot is different, 2.0 was also really good though

What didn't go wrong? Easily the worst Evangelion feature ever made.

This is bait.

Everything! The characters are so unrealistic it's impossible to take them seriously, and it's obvious they tanked the whole story just because they don't like Rei.

>Anno was behind 2.22 too!
Anno is behind all of eva! the end is neigh.

>3.33
into the trash it goes

>well respected director keeps remaking his magnum opus into progressively worse burlesque copies because he wasn't happy with how his waifu was less popular than Rei

Where did it all go so wrong?

Just stop you are pathetic.

Asukafag butthurt is serious business.

20 years later, anno STILL mad about Rei being best girl