What JRPG would make for a best anime series?

What JRPG would make for a best anime series?
The stories in most of them would be fit animated series.
JRPGs are usually story-focused but end up telling in the most obnoxious way - via cutscenes and textboxes.

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/ocremix/1-01-moguos-knife-party?in=ocremix/sets/final-fantasy-ix-worlds-apart
youtube.com/watch?v=uh1svF7sR68
rightxd.org/iroughr87heu89fgf.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=yHd94Z9JcJw
youtube.com/watch?v=yBclT0W_2Dk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No idea if this thread belongs here or on Sup Forums

Fortune summoners

Ive read a few that already made pretty manga. Adapting those would probably be alright.

FF9 for sure, it would make a great anime. Even if they didn't adapt the story and just explored other characters/aspects of the world. It's such a rich setting.

I fucking love FF9.

/trash/

I love everything about FF9 except the combat. It's so slow.
It'd feel like a PS game if not for the shitty PSX texture filtering.
Music is god tier in particular- soundcloud.com/ocremix/1-01-moguos-knife-party?in=ocremix/sets/final-fantasy-ix-worlds-apart

I doubt anybody else here has played it but I feel like Kyoani could do something amazing with Eternal Sonata.

I'd be happy if the mods would be so kind to move it there instead of deleting it for off-topic

>Walk 3 steps
>SWISH
>2 seconds of a silent, pitch black screen
>Music starts
>Still a black screen for 5 more seconds
>Empty battlefield loads, the camera pans around to pretend something is happening
>Combatants load
>It's just one enemy
>Battle starts
>Wait 10 seconds for ATB to fill
>Attack
>Enemy dies in one hit
I loved FF9, but the combat was way too slow to play through the game more than once.

That's why I replayed it on the Steam version with boosters for no random encounters, speedup and insta-kills
Because it'd be a pain to play it legit, especially since all the JRPGs nowadays implement some kind of real-time combat. Hell, the system they used was alreay date back then, this game came out in 2000.

FF5, maybe Skies of Arcadia. I may be biased.

Dragon Quest, I've been wanting a new anime for over a decade.

The FMVs in IX were already better directed than most anime.

Pic related or Suikoden II.

Are you watching Guru Guru right now?
That's the closest thing there is.

You forgot the part where Trance activates and is wasted on a shitty enemy. I'd love an anime set in that world though

Now you've got me wondering - how would they do the trance in anime? It's a story element afterall, with Trance Kuja.

There's a few fights where it activates for story reasons like Zidane saving Dagger from the plant, Vivi getting revenge for the Black Mages on the airship and Steiner fighting with Beatrix to protect Alexandria so I imagine it would just use those

Probably save it for story bosses

Proper two-cour anime would be great.

trails of zero/blue, nier:automata, bravely default

Luminous Arc

Xenoblade could work.
Etrian Odyssey for cute adventures of the Loli Guild. And it has decent lore to explore which could be fleshed out well. Or just adapt EOIII.

Instead adaptating the actual games, i prefer fanservice anime like tales gekijou or falcom gakuen.

>Xenoblade could work.
What about Xenogears? We need to see it done properly after what we've seen in disc 2.

Golden Sun.

Bonus points if this theme makes it into the show youtube.com/watch?v=uh1svF7sR68

Any 16 or 32-bit era JRPG would make for a good anime.

Parasite Eve
Brave Fencer
Dewprism
Treasure of the Rudras
Live a Live
Chrono Trigger (no, Numamonjaa does not count)
Front Mission
An actual mainline FF adaptation that isn't some shitty FFVII cash-in
Xenogears
An actual Lunar adaptation
Grandia
The Legend of Dragoon
Suikoden
Phantasy Star
Tales of Destiny

JRPGs were so diverse and tended to be of such high quality that anything could be turned into a good series.

Atelier Iris trilogy would be great.

Skies of Arcadia (maybe with some stuff from legend).
Chrono Trigger.
Suikoden series.
Xenogears.
Xenosaga.
Xenoblade.
Vanguard Bandits.
Drakenguard and Nier series.
Many Final Fantasy... well, they are already half-way there.
Legend of Legaia.

Not JRPG but:
Fallout series.
Elder Scrolls series.

Rather than an adaptation, I would prefer an original anime that was heavily inspired by jrpgs. I've always really liked the idea of the heroes chasing after some kind of goal on an adventure that takes them to very different places geographically, technologically and culturally. Everything from sealed ancient temples to kind of steampunky empires fusing magic with technology, with lush fantastical forests and floating islands in between. Games like Chrono Trigger, earlier Breath of Fire titles, Seiken Densetsu 2 or 3, some Final Fantasy titles, Treasure of the Rudras and so forth would be good sources of inspiration. Too bad most fantasy shows these days tend to be set around a specific point of interest like a particular city or something, rather than taking the cast to different places.

I'd kill for a Raidou Kuzunoha series.

That would be nice too.

Etrian Odyssey would be cool, like DanMachi but actually good

Chrono Trigger

Rance

Not this user, but I feel I must also add the issue that most jRPG based shows take heavy inspiration from early Dragon Quest games. I''ve never even played a Dragon Quest game, but I can somehow tell immediately when I DQ reference is being made just from the sheer numbers of them. It's pretty shocking.

Also if I had to choose a game to adapt, if it was adaptable, it'd be Terranigma.

Iris 2 would be great, because that twist.

Should adapt route B for suffering.

Is the game worth playing?

I won't recommend it for someone not familiar on SRPG since even the tutorial itself is hard enough.

Personally, its worth playing since the route split is quite heavy in terms or party members. Basically, Will you kill your sister to purify the holy sword using her blood or continue fighting the empire with the curse holy blade.

Shin Megami Tensei IV apocalypse
>cute girls
>nakama power
>edgy protag
>literally persona

I'd love this too. I think this was why I got excited after the first episode of Tanken Driland aired, but that was an original anime based off a mobile game so it was pretty uninspired design-wise. Yes, I know it's >Toei, but their original anime are usually pretty good.

Dark Souls

Who would voice best dad?

Breath of Fire III or IV anyone?

There's already a shounen manga that is made by a huge fan of Square JRPGs who even had an interview together with Sakaguchi about his inspiration from their classic titles starting with Chrono Cross.
Some of the best combat choreography i've seen in genre.
Also has a Xenogears-like love story at the core.

Bahamut Lagoon.
Can you imagine the shitstorm?

4 has its own manga.
Yuna still lives lmao.

Wouldn't Desert Punk be related to Fallout Series?

>Ooo, soft...
I love this line

World of Warcraft.
Yes, I said it

I believe Final Fantasy 3, or 6 depending on what region you're in, would make for a proper anime. Just to hear Kefka do his laugh properly animated would make me diamonds, or shiver.

AT1 had a OVA, albeit a bad one, would it be possible for AT2 to have a proper adaption?

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

It even had two manga.

Should I play the PC or the PSX version?

Emulate the PSX version.

None because you can't convey the atmosphere of these games without the gameplay. Simply retelling the story in animated format won't do, that's why all videogame adaptations suck. Except ones where they rework the story completely, like Gungrave.

rightxd.org/iroughr87heu89fgf.jpg

>SoA (not to be confused with SAO)
> MC is a badass that never cries, that is not overpowered, loses a few times, but always overcome the danger and has from the beginning talent for leading a crew
>redhead is a skillful cutie that, while aggresive a few times, never turns annoying
>Fina is a sweet girl that turns useful when needed
> Drachma (one of the coolest oldmen I´ve seen in ficition and the character), Gilder (ladiesman gunslinger) and Enrique (prince with a sense of justice that isn´t bullshit) are all amazing characters in their own unique way
> some of the bad guys have their own reasons, some are funny, but all of them are distinguishable
> Set in the times of America´s discovery by europeans, but with fantasy elements (while most modern anime focus on the same middle age-esque era bullshit)

And I could be mentioning more and more reasons why this RPG would make one of the best anime in years if it took the proper direction (and have enough budget). So bad there´s wasn´t not even a precuel or sequel for the videogame. it could turn into a hidden gem in a decade

What's wrong with the Windows release?

>filename
That's not funny you fucking faggot fuck but someone had to make that joke

Drakengard 5. Not only does it skip an installment like the original plan for 4, but it markets itself as an adaptation of a game that doesn't exist either.

Infinite Space. It'd be two 24- episode shows for Yuri the boy/ Yuri the Man.

Just skip that bullshit lel higher dimension aliens plot.

Diablo I and II

yet, I think Diablo II would make a better story while I admit Diablo I had a darker atmosphere

A good balance of comfy capitalism and dungeon adventures.

Yep Emulate psx version. The PC ver. is buggy as fuck, horrible port.

D2 would definitely be better due to more Characters. Cute Sorc, Cute Assassin, and Cute Amazon doing cute things when?

Also an animated scene of where The Wanderer turns into Diablo would be amazing.

>cute sorc
>cute assassin
>cute amazon

>not cute barbarian
I'd take bishounen Tyrael too. No matter what they do to him, it'd be better than Tyrone.

What about a Necromancer doing a Tea Club with all his summons?

I like it.
Which golem companion would he have?

Chrono Trigger needs one. A unique cast, variety of settings and enemies, a great storyline.

Square thought the same. youtube.com/watch?v=yHd94Z9JcJw

>FF5
this shit would no way work, Exdeath was and still is a dumb as shit villain, he's an evil tree wizard.
I mean fuck, compared to Enui (the guy who actually created the void) Exdeath is just some moody conifer. It's basically Sauron and Morgoth/Melkor all over again where in the actual lore Sauron was just some shitty general who decided to try and do what Morgoth did.
Basically it's hard to take a villain seriously if the setting already had a villain more powerful than the main antagonist (Not including Neo-Exdeath, but that's not even really Exdeath and is practically just Cloud of Darkness II: Electric Boogaloo)

Great game, though I can't say I like the Toriyama sameface. Hopefully if they adapted it they'd use different character designs.

Blood Golem is best Ggolem

Man just about any JRPG from the PS1 era wpu ld do pretty well.

Aside from the obvious Final Fantasies, Breath of Fire comes to mind.

>Blood Golem is best golem
You mean most moe. In terms of gameplay he's the worst, even more useless than fire golem. The only golems worth considering are clay for tankiness and slow, or Iron if you're going to be making it out of a good item (some cheap runewords make fantastic iron golems).

Yeah, the characters look good in the game bacause of the pixelation but like disgusting gnomes on the official art, not to mention the Goku palette swap that is Chrono

Star Ocean would be nice

I know, but Blood Golem holding up a Tea cup getting blood and other oddities into its tea while sipping it would be cute, as the Necromancer tries to tell him to keep parts from falling in.

Baten Kaitos is my favorite but I don't know how it'd work as an anime with the self-insertion the game has. Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 would make a fantastic anime if it had two seasons.

I don't want to sound like a grumpy oldfag but while Skies of Arcadia is hard to buy these days it's by no means an obscure JRPG.

>Live a Live
The stories and character designs for each level were made by a few manga artists.

Probably the only one they could do justice in the series by assuming you already played FC, SC and maybe skipping some doors to not make it too long.
I just want edgy green archer animated
youtube.com/watch?v=yBclT0W_2Dk

Terranigma and Mother 3.

>as the Necromancer tries to tell him to keep parts from falling in.
It would be better if the sorc and amazon were horrified by it (and the assassin was excited) while the necro doesn't even realize what's wrong.
Also skeletons trying to drink tea and getting depressed because it passes right through them.
Druid wants to join them because it looks fun, but he can't give in and conform to civilized society. Also lots of bear headpats

>Man who thought he'd lost all hope loses last additional bit of hope he didn't even know he still had

>game gets adapted into an anime
>but they keep game mechanics like levels, stats, etc

way to ruin it

What anime are you talking about?

>via cutscenes and textboxes
How else would you tell a story in a fucking videogame.

Isekai is already doing that to do that by adding the "normal human is transported" part into what essentially is a JRPG. Depending on how TnY, Arifureta and DM, we may get a shit ton of them in the next few years. I do would like to see an existing JRPG getting a non-shit anime, sometimes I hear about real anime studios animating 2D cut-scenes to be used in games.

The point was that these textboxes and cutscenes go on for longer than the gameplay segments combined.

I'm getting wet thinking about how the scenery of the BIonis would transition into fluid 2D animation

>Isekai is already doing that to do that by adding the "normal human is transported" part into what essentially is a JRPG
Isekai is shit. I don't want to see a video game adaptation, I want to see the adaptation of the story inside of it.
It's like making a movie adaptation of a book and displaying paragraphs of the original text in the middle of the frames. Fuck that.
Isekai gets made only because of the pandering to self inserting losers.

anyone who said xenogears is correct

>Isekai is shit
It's really not. I can tell you've seen like a couple of popular anime adaptation so you think now you know "isekai". You don't. It's a huge subgenre that has a shit ton of works ranging from excellent to shitty. Also, remember, we're talking about videogames here, the most loser-y entertainment medium in existence.

It's unthinkable why this game still doesn't have an anime adaptation. The last boss battle would be GOAT if done right. Karina best girl btw

I get what you're saying. A game should know what it's trying to accomplish, either appeal to vermin and focus on gameplay, don't bore them with the story since they're probably too ADD to read it anyway and I bet most of them spam skip. Or focus on those who are there for the story like what VNs do.

desu you can't really call kevin edgy since he's actually pretty well-adjusted team player in the game despite the tragic background. Nowhere near the likes of sasugay

Knight Blazer will be awesome.