Ninja Scroll

Who knew such badass movies existed

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cCbUMEooHhI
youtube.com/watch?v=CHyRdm-PtcE&t=
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=cCbUMEooHhI

one of my favorite movies, among with perfect blue and ghost in the shell. Also enjoyed Madbull and deviman. the 90s had some of te best movies

Nearly every scene has me floored.

Mainga entertainment did

Every preteen male that watched anime in the 90s.

>still watching moeshit

Im over it. Bring on the gritty action.

Make way for the ultimate badass.

Any relation to Naruto?

Yes, he fucked Naruto's mom.

Everyone?

Literally anyone into anime in the 90s or 2000s who walked into a Blockbuster knew

I will never understand why people treat Ninja Scroll like it's some kind of masterpiece. It's well animated and deliciously over the top but that's literally all it is. It's vapid shock value and fight scenes with nothing else, as far as I remember.

I'll have to rewatch it and see if I can see what everyone else sees in it.

Whiskers are common in japanese media and folklore, Kishimoto didn't come up with anything new. Also, the levels of smug are on a different league.
youtube.com/watch?v=CHyRdm-PtcE&t=

It's more in the technical details of the shot composition, the atmosphere that you get from the art design and the music, the action choreography, the scene flow, and all that. The plot and characterization is well done, but isn't anything that special in terms of creativity. it isn't a deep movie by any means and the plot is not inventive - but it is extremely visceral and emotionally effective because of how well everything is put together. It is more of an atmosphere piece than anything.

Literally how I got into anime.

>Who knew such badass movies existed
Literally everyone. It's been on the entry level list for decades.

It was important, because it introduced a bunch of Western kids to decently produced Anime movies with blood and tits and shit.

You also have to remember that so many anime and manga have done the Superpowered Ninja that it just doesn't hold up anymore.

>It's well animated and deliciously over the top but that's literally all it is. It's vapid shock value and fight scenes with nothing else, as far as I remember.
well yeah. you want critique on Schopenhauer in your gory anime ninja movie or something?

You barely even remember it's about ninjas even back in the 90s when you're halfway through it. It's the gore and body horror that people remember, and that totally holds up

Every character in the film is now a stereotype. It absolutely does not hold up, aside from animation.
t.Watched it last year

>Who knew such badass movies existed

I want the newfags to leave.

I can't think of any later shows that did any of what Ninja Scroll did any better. To me it holds up because despite the amount of anime who copied the premise of Ninja Scroll none of them are as good as Ninja Scroll.

Nah, I'm not knocking it for being what it is but when it's compared to stuff like Perfect Blue or GitS '95, both of which have frankly masterful and groundbreaking handling of their narratives I get a little confused. It's not just this thread either, I've been seeing comparisons like this a lot lately.

I understand it's historical significance to anime in the west (I, like so many others, rented this shit out of the children's section when I was 12) but I feel like it's better compared to something else beautiful but vapid, like Lemnear or something, rather than GitS.

I will give it a rewatch sometime here soon.

You are absolutely right, what kind of autist expects some deep and insightful shit in a gory movie about ninjas?

>tfw still looking for the uncensored version

Then how about Akira.
Leaving the manga aside, the movie is pretty lacking in the plot department, and yet it still gets worldwide recognition for its visuals and audio.

Newfag ha

Wow graphics. Why Japan don't do this anymore?

Akira's a great comparison.

Man, I could watch old 90s anime advertisements all day. I loved getting to watch these right before watching the video I had rented, and when you finally found a video of an anime you had been seeing in previews for over a year after literally going to every different video rental store you could it was so hype. I especially love how much edgier the music in the promos were than most of the actual music in the anime being promoted.

Akira got me into anime in the 80's, but I don't really consider it anything special these days. The manga is still legendary, however.

Kids these days will never know how it feels rewinding that sequence of Kagero getting her top torn open

Tell me when you find it.

It looks kinda shitty, can't compare with recent masterpieces by good studios.

Kawajiri is a master.

I really hate ignorant children that can't appreciate something as a product of its time