How Netflix Is Disrupting, Empowering Japan's Anime Industry

>The $8 billion content budget the streaming giant pointed to in its third-quarter earnings call could drastically alter the anime industry's business model.

>Despite the global success of anime, the production houses in Japan often struggle to make ends meet, while many animators work punishingly long hours for infamously low wages. But the 30-title anime slate currently being produced for Netflix is shaking up the industry, shifting the business model and giving more creative freedom to animators.

>Although anime features like Ghost in the Shell or Hayao Miyazaki productions have grabbed the headlines over the years, domestic TV series are the backbone of the industry, bringing in more than 10 times the annual revenue of theatrical releases, which amounts to more than $5 billion.

>But the business model has not been a lucrative one for the production houses, which are typically left in the red after the initial domestic television run. Any profits for the studios come from sales of merchandise, DVDs and soundtracks.
>Those products are usually advertised via commercials paid for by the studios that run during broadcasts of the series.

>Overseas sales have been an additional revenue stream, but Netflix's original content strategy is becoming a game changer. In the summer, Netflix announced a slate of 12 original anime series and an animated Godzilla feature.

>The streaming giant followed that up on its third-quarter earnings call with talk of a content budget of $8 billion for next year. >A sizable chunk of that is expected to go to anime series, though not all of them will be produced in Japan, as Netflix aims for half of its content to be original by the end of 2018. "We've more than 30 original anime projects in various states of production these days," Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos said on the call.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.rocketnews24.com/2017/10/26/anime-industry-takes-in-record-2-0-trillion-yen-in-2016/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindy_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wastage of moni

they're either going to save anime or get scammed out of all their money

My only gripe is how they call them "Netflix ""Originals"" "

Fuck Netflix and everyone who uses it

>though not all of them will be produced in Japan
Into the trash.

>A sizable chunk of that is expected to go to anime series, though not all of them will be produced in Japan

Then where will they produced, and exactly what is Netflix's definition of of anime?

There's no point in talking about this right now. We've speculated and fearmongered enough, what else is there to say with the information we have now?

You expect to read your shit with that shitty spacing?

I don't know man, netflix has hit and miss anime series but they have people like Yuasa working with them, they gave BLAME a go (even if terribly done) but they are starting to learn you know.

Thing is, the anime industry has been a cash cow for too long. Good original creative art has been ignored for far too long, just like its happening with MiA manga sales right now. Netflix will generate a wake up call

The anime market has been worsening year after year, there aren't a lot of good things to watch now so people turn to manga, which doesn't help the industry because japan doesn't accept translation easily or doesn't have a popular mangasite where you can at least buy comics and benefit authors lezhin does this. But its korean and for webcomics

You cant expect badly done moeshit and harem shit to sell forever. Its not going to support the next generation of animation, it will just misshappen the industry.

Its just like that man.
We need original stories and characters not formulaic tropes but good strong plots with good art

We're just gonna get a bunch of shitty shows.

>tfw will never be par of the 1% with infinite shekels and just buy all studios to save em
curse this lack of money

They're going to waste that $8 billion on trash, unless they put Yamakan at the helm. It's time for anime to be saved.

> though not all of them will be produced in Japan
So, cartoons?

>tfw used to work for netflix sorting dvds and games
>used to make 13 an hour

I'm glad this company is moving up even though they laid off everyone.

Isn't Netflix in an incredible amount of debt right now?

>"...30 original anime"
Well, at least there more shit than just light novel and mobage commercials- But I wouldn't call 'em animoo.
Gives me more reason to go to Sup Forums

Yes, why do you think they are trying to invest on a niche market?

>studios that aren't toei are so retarded they can't invest or make any merch for more revenue so they're now sucking western cock
Fuck them, I hope Abe bans any jap company from being bought out by gajins.

Isn't their annual operating income more than enough to cover that debt?

Netflix isnearly incapable of producing a good show despite throwing money at everyone

Then why would they be in debt?

I am an anime noob but I know enough about Netflix to see they will infect anime with SJW propaganda for their globalist slave drivers.

>unironically defending Production Committee
Do you understand that Netflix is part of Production Committee? They just funding 50/50. It's safe for both sides.

>The anime market has been worsening year after year
en.rocketnews24.com/2017/10/26/anime-industry-takes-in-record-2-0-trillion-yen-in-2016/
It's bigger than it's ever been

Making new shows always puts them in the red, even when its a season 2/3

It doesn't help that the companies that license manga try their damnedest to get no sales.
>Seven Seas picks up a series right as it starts.
>Releases the first volume 6 months after Japan and France
>7 month gaps between volumes
>Print only

They do that with anything where they pay for the production of it. They're trying to get into people's minds as someone who actually produces shows, rather than someone who just licenses them.

This. The nipponness of anime is one of the factors that makes them so good. The Western media manages to wreck everything, I doubt anime will be an exception

Being in debts means nothing as long as they still get enough investors who believe in them.

Because they're spending lots of money in a short period of time to fund new productions, secure in the knowledge that they'll make it back in the long term. Or something. I don't know how anything works.

Agreed. I think the biggest issue with the anime industry is the flood of low quality generic moe slice of life crap every season that really only appeals to the Waifu crowds. I am kinda hoping Netflix injecting cash and contracts with Japanese studios will allow for some decent original content that isn't run-of-the-mill trash.

Netflix may suck with their movie division tremendously, but their shows have been pretty decent so far.

I thought Castlevania was pretty good.

Do you know what credit is?

How can nip jews like Shueisha and Kadokawa ever compete against the more powerful established gaijin jews like Amazon and Netflix?

It's a bubble.

Castelvania is not anime

Yes, it put me in debt.

This. Wait till some of their shows come out.

If anything sucks about Netflix, its the bingefag releases they do. Dumping a whole season just leaves nothing to talk about and the threads die so quick

castlevania is the only netflix that i know that's quite new.

Nobody believed in you.

That's how the Silcon Valley crashed. Netflix will crash too unless it somehow becomes an advertising giant like Google botnet.

by using japan's inborn distrust of ggaijin you silly

1 ep per day would be best of both worlds

Bigger doesn't mean better. It means more population and badly distributed compensation.
More studios, more authors more editors, more competition for a quick buck just so you can try to make a masterpiece you will never make because you have to eat so you keep doing moeshit and start understanding why miyazaki hates anime

Nah, the spirit is getting lost thanks to faggots that buy figurines to jack off

The only Japanese thing about Castlevania is the IP. The show was produced in Texas with animation outsourced to Canada.

kill yourself.

But nip jews rely on gaijin jews like Amazon to sell BDs and crappy figurines.

in theory they borrow x money in order to make stuff that earns them x+y money, then they pay back x

Why? And who the fuck cares. Anime is a style. We are in 2017 not in 1500 leonardo

>imblying anime and manga can come from japan only

You are in for a sad ride

>S-so I learned moonrunes for nothing?!!!

Yes. And netflix is just the first step

>Thread not about anime
>It's shit
Big surprise.

Lurk more before posting.

>established
Say what you like about them, but Kodansha and Shueisha aren't new, they're in or around 100 years old. They're behind the times but it'll probably take more than modern streaming services to kill them off.

Gaijins > nipponjins, because gaijins pay studios directly and don't give a shit about other nipponjin yakuza investors.
Anime studios said so, don't ever bother them again in their life.

nah nah son, i've already made a pact with the outer gods to curse any western trying to get anime outta japan

Source of the picture on the left?

Imagine being this dense

>horses will never be beaten by cars I tell yah!!!

Nice. Moving the goalposts. How typical.

Please stop trying to make this a thing. You're so easily recognizable. The lines wrap multiple times on mobile, his spacing is fine, please fuck off forever

Japan is retarded. Just fucking call out all companies and make a service with all the animes, it can't be that hard goddamit..

Put that shit for 20 bucks each month and then bring it to overseas, with subs at the same time the episode is being aired in Japan.

Fucking do it.

Uhuh. These are companies, not functionally different entities. If Kodansha/Shueisha need to they could probably provide their own streaming services. They already have online manga viewing, some are exclusively distributed that way for chapter releases (Kara no Kyoukai, for example).

All the companies hate each another and want to maximize their own profits at the cost of their rivals.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindy_effect

fingers crossed for a high budget Vinland Saga adaption

their work ethics won't let em

>Why?
Anime is Japanese cartoons.
> Anime is a style
Manga is style. Not anime.
Tell me is Castelvania your first adult western animation?

>phoneposter
You have to go back.

>Get Masaaki Yuasa on board, a man well known for making unique and original shows that are unlike any other anime and appeal to arthouse film fans as well as anime fans
>Get him to make an adaptation of a generic shonen franchise barely known in the west

What the fuck are they thinking? Why don't they just get him to make an original show?

>tfw weakness is spaces between lines
feelsbadman

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014)

>production houses in Japan often struggle to make ends meet, while many animators work punishingly long hours for infamously low wages
>production houses, which are typically left in the red after the initial domestic television run

If this is the reality of the world, then I support them completely and I'm all for the production houses getting their Netflix cash. I wish them the best of luck and I'm glad they're going to get paid so they can have more revenue for their other projects. More power to them!

Netflix originals are all trash, they won't be around much longer as more companies refuse to license their series to them to start their own services and the debt swallows them up. I doubt they've had any better luck with anime since their release model is anathema to how anime fans usually consume.

Devilman is an arthouse manga

I just wish they would simulcast instead of going the binge watch route.
By the time netflix releases it nobody cares about it anymore.

Putting yourself in debt to expand is business 101

NO fuck you

Well webcomics are getting really famous, I mean really REALLY famous.
And the web welcomes artists from all parts of the world. Just look at Lezhin man

It will be just a matter of time, koreans already have a huge animation industry, china has got contracts with disney for 3D movies and netflix with anime titles.
This is only the beginning. After all this. Anime will become a style if it already hasn't and the market will shape out of moe moe shit because adults who used to enjoy Zero no Tsukaima now enjoy higher quality plots and better art

Same thing happened with Disney. We went from the lion king to Marvel.

But this will be much more slow because the industry has to get out of japan first.
Anime industry now depends mostly on japanese buyers. This will change if the new generation of animators want better job opportunities and if creators start supporting themselves with exterior help.
If this happens, the market will start getting shaped by things and people outside of japan and the japanese won't have a say on the industry. It will be decided by the western public which is hungrier for original stuff.

>Devilman
>barely known in the west
Manga is pretty popular. And west is not their target audience. Netflix is part of Production Committee

Yeah but it's way less normie friendly than something like Ping Pong. Ping Pong is the kind of anime that you could get normie critics to love, this show just seems very esoteric for audiences outside of Japan.

Just give me the rest of the Castlevania series

That's why Netofurikksu-dono wants to make original anime, and not boring ass anime adaptations where everyone and their dog already read the story in a manga a decade ago.

>adults who used to enjoy Zero no Tsukaima now enjoy higher quality plots and better art
>there are actually people who think the adults that enjoy capeshit and Rick and Morty enjoy "higher quality plots and better art"

>normie
says the normalfaggot

>Nah, the spirit is getting lost thanks to faggots that buy figurines to jack off
Toys have been funding anime since before you were even born. Shut the fuck up if you don't know what you are talking about.

>normie

But user, he's right.

>I'm too shy to go out and meet women, I need the 4th Reich to happen now so I can meet an unemployed brainwashed idiot that wants to make more soldiers for the fuhrer, it's my last hope!
do you have any clue how pathetic you actually are?

>normie
Fuck off.

Anime is a style, look at french modern animation and comics

>the production houses in Japan often struggle to make ends meet
>which amounts to more than $5 billion
What the fuck are they doing with all the money?

And going by their live action track record, all their shows will be shit. Their anime originals will probably be worse, these guys have no idea what makes anime attractive.

Manga is style. They call it manga style

But toys aren't helping the poor starving overworked animators, and that's what the bleeding hearts on Sup Forums and reddit care about when they virtue-post about wanting to help the anime industry.
Nobody gives a shit about the poor starving factory workers making toys (probably because they're all Chinese and nobody cares about them).

Yes and there are good toys and moeshit toys you autist

You people have been greentexting a word you're triggered by for 2 years now, and a fat lot of good it's done. If anything it's only made me use it more out of spite.

it's just not going to the right people.

They mean the production committees make billions, but since studios are such cucks they opt for an up-front fee for making the anime rather than asking for some percentage of the revenue.

>You people
Learn some manners or go away

Oh, it's like the music industry in the 50s and 60s.