Other urls found in this thread:

openings.moe/?video=Ending1-FlipFlappers
youtube.com/watch?v=xN0vUlljX0I
desuarchive.org/a/thread/151765421/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was.

/s/'s official aoty, yes
And my personal aoat

The Mad Max episode was the best episode of the year, that much I will agree with.

What else was there noteworthy in 2016? I forgot most of them.

Wow, never suspected /s/ of being anime fans.

But none of them were sexy or beautiful

It was mine at least.

I can't believe I made that typo
I typed "anime" instead of "spoiler" at first
Not sexy at all

I honestly believe is one of the worst anime years of all time

flip flappers was the literal aoty because absolutely nothing of note was released that year

I honestly believe you're a faggot

Cocona is the most beautiful.

This was 2016? Fuck man I have to start paying attention to the passage of time.

Hell yes it was
I won't let any of Mimi's bullshit detract from how fun the whole show was

No, the ending was a bit of a let down. 8/10 because of it.

Yes

Fun fact: it will be 2018 in two months

No, because Yayaka got a shitty end.

Maidragon was.

>memedragon

Maidragon was this year you silly nigger.

I come from the future

>this many posts in
>it hasn't been posted
sasuga Sup Forums.

But it wasn't. Keijo was

No, this was. Prove me wrong.

Looks like some Chinese garbage

Easily one of my favorites.

That's not Rakugo.

yes, if only due to the lack of competition

This show spawned the shittiest fanbase ever and it wasn't even that good, easily forgettable.

>

Not remotely close to the shittiest fanbase ever.

I thought we all agreed it was, and by far.

Yes. Weak year, good anime, great threads. It just worked out in the end.

Oh no

It was second-best, only behind Rakugo.

Taiwanese

Same shit.

>yuri bait and pretty colours
stop

1. In This Corner of the World
2. A Silent Voice
3. Mob Psycho 100
4. Kizumonogatari I and II
5. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
6. Kimi no Na wa
7. Doukyuusei
8. Pokemon Sun & Moon
9. Jojo Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable
10. Fune wo Amu

Movies don't count.

I can't decide if the OP is hotblooded or not. It's super exciting and windy-sailing-through-the-air upbeat, but I don't know if its hotblooded.

>puppet show was anime of the year
2016 was pretty great

>Fune wo amu
I wonder why Sup Forums ignored this show. It should have attracted the OLfags at least.

That weird moment where an anime about tits and asses has the smarter MC and smarter fights than most (if not all) works from that year.

its pretty hot-blooded at times. like the mad max episode where they fight each other in the desert town

>best shounen ever made
>gets cancelled
Japan sucks.

definitely.

Let me think about that YES____

No doubts!

This. It 's an objective fact it won AotY with people who watched less than 5 anime in the year. It's basically the Attack on Titan or SAO of 2016.

Re:zero was the AOTY

More like shit of 2016

Koe no Katachi was AOTY. In This Corner of the World was pretty good as well. Flip Flappers had promise but it was pretty much a downward spiral from episode 1 onward.

its stuck in my head again thanks to this thread

NOW IT WILL STICK IN YOURS openings.moe/?video=Ending1-FlipFlappers

>Cockona

FLIP
FLAP
FLIP
FLAP

Noooooo. The fact that this only sold 883 discs is proof that I and everyone else who watched and like it are buttugly morons and utter retards.

2016 was weak as fuck for tv anime.

Still better than 2017

I didn't watch this but the premise sounds so buttfuckingly retarded that I could see it being maybe entertaining for an episode or few.

Best animated tv anime in like four years.

What about Mob Psycho or Build Fighters or G-Reco?

>Less than 5 watched per season

That's not true

>see upcoming original anime with a cool premise
>looks like a potential 9/10 with the first couple episodes, has some great concepts
>remember it's a one cour
>ends up being rushed as fuck with exposition dumps moving the plot forward
>ends up like a 6/10

Why does this always happen with anime originals? PriPri betrayed me in the same way.

>shounenshit
>good

Learn how to read you stupid fuck.
>Best animated
has nothing to do with the anything except the quality of a works drawings.

Great designs, great animation, really likeable characters.

The main issue was them trying to cram all the plot at the end, which resulted in the story feeling really messy, Papika ending up seriously underdeveloped and the ending being rather forgettable.

FF could have been so much more under a more competent director.

The Japs suck at endings. Or tying plots together in a coherent fashion in a timely manner.

I think it's a matter of series composition.
They come up with this story, that relies on exposition and world building to tell itself to the audience. However, the idea they came up with required a certain amount of airtime to get properly delivered, but they only have 1-cour, and thus translating the whole idea into 11 eps hardly ever turns out well.

1-cour works best with direct information and shock value, like Madoka did.

I cannot.

Fuck off tripfag nobody cares about your shit taste.

I can see this issue with Flip Flappers because most of the episodes developed the characters, the setting, or the struggles on either side though it kicked into high gear in the second half. For PriPri like the other user mentioned however, I think the series composition suffered because despite attempting to depict Ange and Princess' relationship alongside the disastrous state of the nations, there was episodes dedicated to Princess (laundromat) and Chise (duel) that could have been implemented better into episodes that contributed towards both the development of the characters and the plot. The ending felt weak after all the hubbub about a coming revolution only to have it come down to them saving Princess without closure though that would be another issue of only having one cour.

The issue with PriPri was different from FF. FF went from exposition and world building to suddenly TWEESTS and and a fuckton of plot. There was no sense of balance, and several things were never foreshadowed during the first half. It had a really poor sense of direction.

In PriPri's case the plot was always there, but they liked using every other episode for exposition, which didn't allow the plot to properly unfold. Mind you, the exposition was great, and the plot was never meant for 1-cour anyway.

Both series would have been better off as 2-cour.

It was a decent year desu.
Assclass
Konosuba
Grimgar
Ajin
Jojo
Re:zero
Bnha
Tanaka
Luluco
Sakamoto
Flying witch
ConRevo
Tonkatsu
Saiki
Mob
Shokugeki
Illya
Natsume
3-Gatsu
Hibike!
Drifters
Flip Flap
Tiger Mask
Takkyuu Musume

Too many shows, especially one cour, just act like needlessly drawn out movies cut into 20 minute chunks with no resolution. The key to making a good tv show in my opinion is embracing the episodic structure. I think Flip Flappers started that way on the surface but its backbone narrative was fundamentally flawed. Should have taken notes from Space Dandy.

writer switch with writer

The thing is FF was always intended to have a plot.
It was just poorly delivered.

Think of Yuri Kuma Arashi, in which Ikuhara tried doing his usual first half of exposition, second half for plot, which worked great in Utena because in that one he had 39eps to work with, but that style didn't translate well in 1-cour and we ended up with a mess of a story.

It's extremely, EXTREMELY common in short anime for the first couple of episodes to be plot focused, then a series of episodic episodes, and finally at the end the last 3 or so are plot focused again. I thought Flip Flopper's pacing was just fine and the story didn't leave much to be desired.

Right, that's what I mean, it shouldn't have intended to have one. It only held back the concept.

I wouldn't have minded a series involving Papika and Cocona simply exploring PIs while hinting at the implications and reality of the circumstances instead of detailing the entire backstory with Salt, Mimi, and older Papika. I'm sure many didn't mind how it actually played out but showing instead of telling leaves it up to your own perception.

FF having a plot wasn't bad. However, exposition + plot isn't something that works well with 1-cour.

For the first half, yes. It abandons itself after that.

It would have been better as a subtle episodic romance.

Don't forget about Fuuka's anime

Maid Dragon a shit.

>Taiwanese-Japanese "animation" based on Chinese puppetry
Not anime.

Nah that would be Pandora.

Unhappy and Haifuri as runners up.

It wasn't ignored. There were plenty of threads throughout its run.

Mob Psycho is good. I just thought this was better.
It's absolutely true. I can think of like five shows in the last four years that didn't do every single tracking shot against shitty cgi. The industry is pathetic.

Does anyone besides Sup Forums even remember FliFla anymore?

Does anyone besides Sup Forums matter?

>The industry is pathetic.
To be fair it takes an insane amount of effort to-

You know what never mind you're right they should just put hundreds of hours of work into every cut instead of having it done in 15 minutes using CG

883 was mediocre, so no

Good point.

The first six episodes were so good they made the show feel like it had legitimate AOAT potential. And then it was squandered in the worst way imaginable.

I know how much effort it takes. The industry is at such a point than only a few shows deliberately still do it by hand. Little Witch had a couple. Mob Psycho had a very impressive one. Flip Flappers had several across several episodes.
But we're talking counting on two hands examples I can remember during the last 5 years and that's even including stuff that had a lot more money per episode thrown at it like UBW.

youtube.com/watch?v=xN0vUlljX0I

It was Sup Forums's AOTY until you reduced the number of "valid" voters to 4, in which case Rakugo won with two votes. Stay mad.

desuarchive.org/a/thread/151765421/

But we all know what the REAL AOTY was.