Shinji Ikari is the greatest anime hero of all time

Shinji Ikari is the greatest anime hero of all time.

You only hate him because you see yourself.

Other urls found in this thread:

wikihow.com/Act-Like-Shinji-Ikari
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bait^

i totally agree and anyone who disagrees clearly doesn't see his brilliance

Shinji has shit taste in music desu.

he's written to be extremely easy to hate. anno probably thinks you're a dumbass for liking the character.

I disagree, I would have fared better in his situation.

Top 3 Greatest Heroes in Anime

1. Shinji Ikari
2. Char Aznable
3. Light Yagami

His first real scene is what poisons people against him.

>Shinji, get in the robot or everyone is certain to die including you.
>N-NO! IF I GET IN THE ROBOT I MIGHT DIE!

It was a cartoonish level of beta-male behavior, even the most beta real person wouldn't have acted that way.

He's just a self-insert for Anno.

he was offered zero explanation at the time as to why it had to be him and not a trained pilot

Doesn't matter, he was told it had to be him. He already knew because his dad summoned him.
Why are you typing in that faux-apathetic way also?

Most grown men would shit themselves if they got in the robot

I like Shinji, but let's be real here.

It's true.

Exactly.

>It was a cartoonish level of beta-male behavior, even the most beta real person wouldn't have acted that way.
If you actually believe this, you're a moron. The vast majority of people are going to outright reject the idea of willingly going into combat.

he knew jack shit. the letter summoning him was so redacted it was nothing but black bars, and the word COME scribbled over it by Gendo. The only other info he had was the postcard from Misato, which just showed him who would be picking him up and still said nothing about what to expect from his dad.

If your only other option is death, you'll fight. It's just natural human behavior. Any character who doesn't follow this principal is unrealistic.

But I love Shinji. He is best EVA girl.

>Sup Forumsnons would risk their life and the future of humanity on the hope that they alone are competent enough
Once you take away the conceit of plot armor, most people would bitch out like Shinji. People just don't like him because "muh power fantasy." You're basically being Subaru levels of disconnected with reality right now.

In hindsight it's understandable though. Neglectful dad suddenly asking you to go into the giant machine your mom died in to battle aliens is a tough choice for a sheltered lad, don't you agree? Not to mention it was all a setup anyways, they had several Rei's. It's not the best reaction from a character but I think a lot of people who continually shit on Shinji despite the context are just too accustomed to fireblood protags.

>says something is unrealistic
>has spoken to six non blood related human beings in the last four months
You are not an effective judge of this. At least 50% of people will still refuse to fight because the idea of fighting is unfathomable. They don't man up and get in the robot, they have a breakdown and shit their pants. The people who would get in the robot and try to fight are in the minority and you would realize this if you actually spoke to real people in the real world. Just look at how many people shriek like little children in the presence of an unloaded firearm.

I neither hate Shinji nor see myself in him, which I guess still proves the point.

How2intoShinji

wikihow.com/Act-Like-Shinji-Ikari

>easy to hate
Care to elaborate?
The fuck? If someone would tell me to grab a gun and go fight the enemy out of the blue, considering that I have zero fighting experience, I would freak out as well.

You're practicing 'hipster philosophy', AKA: I know a commonly believed idea is wrong, so I'm going to take up the exact polar opposite, being just as wrong for the same reason (because it's too off-center)

He would be exactly me if it wasn't for the gay shit.

>Shinji, get in the robot!
>But I just got here, I don't have any training and don't even know what the controls look like!
>Fine we'll send this girl who should really be in an ICU to pilot it instead.
>Fuck you dad, I'll do it
Shinji did nothing wrong there.

>commonly believed idea
Not him, but
>[citation needed]

Fear of unexpected combat/death is entirely understandable and forgivable for a human being, let alone for a sheltered kid.

What is not? Repeatedly, systematically refusing to even attempt to change your mindset, when so much is at stake and other kids like you are risking their own lives, and you understand very well that failure means extinction of mankind. Isn't at least one of these supposed to wake you up and remind you you need to put your mopey teenage emotions aside for a second and start to care for a second?

Episode 1 Shinji isn't a hateable character. He's a scared shitless kid who doesn't know what he got himself into. It's the latter episodes Shinji that is aggravating.

He's scared? Sure, who wouldn't be.
He's inexperienced? Not something you can blame him for.
He just literally doesn't give a fuck about the countless lives at stake and would rather stick it up to his dad to prove a point? He deserves some hate.

Understand that that hate doesn't stem from Shinji being weak, scared, etc. It comes from his callous disregard of basic values of humanity.

He literally consistently pilots the robot until episode 18 or so. Even then he gets back in.

Fuck off with this "Shinji doesn't pilot" meme

>failure means extinction of mankind
This one would work if the person in question cares about the mankind or his life.

Shinji isn't a hero. He is a fantastic character though.

Now I don't know if you're being retarded on purpose. Shinji gets in the robot several times. He tries to run once (which was really just because Misato told him he could) but comes back again and realizes what's important. He's getting in a pain machine of destruction and mind-fuck to repeatedly battle alien monsters for the fate of mankind. He does this despite all the emotional and familial trouble it brings and was already in his life. You cannot tell me Shinji wasn't a reasonable human being.

So everyone with depression gets a free pass and you're never to judge them for anything because they can't be blamed for anything. Kinda convenient huh?

"Why didn't you prevent the death of millions of people?"
"Yeah sorry but not sorry, I just didn't care about my life or others"

Considering people never stop talking about him, I'd say this is true.

I've just told why the effectiveness of this tactic was limited in this case. After Misato showed him the beautiful city that he has saved and after he had received some training, he got into the fucking robot.
Also, consider this

He is the failed ubermensche, the dream of western superiority that has dulled like bronze in the sea. A man towed around by Globalists and hack scientists with no morals, and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Hero?
No, protagonist sure, but he is not a hero.

Asuka Langley is the greatest anime heroine of all time.

>the light fixture is a halo
>the reflections on the wall are wings
DEEP

>He is the failed ubermensche, the dream of western superiority that has dulled like bronze in the sea.
I have no clue how you got this out of Shinji's character arc, but I'd love to hear your reasoning.
>A man towed around by Globalists and hack scientists with no morals
Well, that kind of depends on how you interpret the Human Instrumentality Project. Clearly, given how EoE ends, Anno's message is that it's better to live with the innate difficulties of being a social animal than have everyone be part of a flawless, forigiving whole. But I still think that the idea Seele is attempting to better humanity isn't completely foolish. Overall, I agree with you, but morality isn't really an issue if you take the latter stance on Instrumentality.
>and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Shinji has no ulterior motives. He's an emotionally stunted individual whose maladjustments are taken advantage of to further Seele's goal. He's not at all like Gendo apart from being cripplingly insecure.

>Q: Voicing Shinji Ikari's character for many, many years, what do you personally think of Shinji? (Emilio from Argentina)

>A: He's often called naive, and I think many western fans might not find his personality attractive. It’s true that he’s not a very “hero” like hero (laughs). However I think that’s what is so natural and “normal” about him. I personally think he has always been a very calm, albeit somewhat standoffish, and strong boy with strong conviction. In the first episode, at just 14, after he's been separated from his parents for so long, handed from person to person, and basically being all on his own, then suddenly being summoned by his biological father, he's still able to converse in formal speech with the workers in his father's company and doing his best to stay calm. He was a middle schooler that remained calm in the face of giant robots and horrifics that he's never encountered before. I don't think many can go through what he has, being told out of the blue that he has to pilot a giant robot he's never seen, against a ghastly enemy he witnessed up close just moments before, and be able to go through with it.
>He doesn't know how to control the robot, it's all he can do to even just walk, let alone fight. Since you share the emotions (with the Eva), you feel the pain when it's punched, pierced in the eye. Would you be able to go on fighting in that same situation? ...Is, what I'd like to ask the people who call him "naive" (laughs).
>In the midst of all of that, he's pushing back and telling himself "You can't run away". When I come away from the character and return to myself, I tend to think “You worked so hard!”, “It’s okay!” and want to comfort him like a parent (laughs).

I never did see the need for Asuka vs Rei.

Evangelion is basically 'therapy anime', and you can't do therapy unless you're honest about yourself. Shinji is a good representation of Evangelion's audience and isn't idealized at all. It's the circumstances that are idealized.

Asuka is litetally a female Eric Cartman equivalent.

How are the circumastances idealized? Do you mean fictionalized?

What

The whole surface level fantasy appeal of Evangelion is entering the world where you're the 'chosen one' pilot who saves the world, goes into crazy berserks and defeats the bad guy effortlessly, etc.
It's all a sham as revealed later on but that's why people are attracted to it,

A fucking piece of selfish shit, except the show isnt a comedy

You didn't understand Evangelion.

Evangelion didnt uderstand itself.
If Anno meant to make Asuka desirable in any possible way he failed to do so.

I can see he had an idea to make her like a positive entry or something but what he really did was an antisocial antagonistic bitch with literally ZERO virtue or any positive qualities.

>If Anno meant to make Asuka desirable in any possible way he failed to do so.
Incorrect, I desire her strongly.

Ah ok. But wouldn't the reality of the situation be a better descriptor for it? Like, if you understand that piloting the Evas and fighting the angels is an incredible burden after watching the show why would you still describe the premise as idealized? It's what separates the show out from other giant robot works such as Gurren Lagann, for example.

You exist at level 0 on the 'understanding Evangelion' scale, which looks like this: "Shinji is such a beta male, I would've done better! Asuka is a bitch! Misato is a whore! Rei is emotionless!"

Because you're a faggot.

Nah this guy found a meaning in life and yet all he did was being a faggot and complaining

>Like, if you understand that piloting the Evas and fighting the angels is an incredible burden after watching the show why would you still describe the premise as idealized?

Because it is idealized. Even if you recognize it as a burden it's still appealing, people wouldn't watch Evangelion if it didn't have that aspect. We had an Evangelion where the protagonist wasn't the hero who defeats the bad guys and kisses girls, it was called 3.0 and everyone despised it.

fuck you XTC is the best post-punk band since pere ubu

Ahhh, I see. That's fair. I never watched the Rebuilds, but thanks for making me slightly more aware of how utterly shit they are.

You should watch them, it would be stupid not to. It takes nothing, there's no downside.

>projecting so hard
>making assumptions on my views
Asuka was the only evangelion character that has never did anything good to anyone.
She was so selfish she almost killed everyone chasing the high score several times and then celebrated Shinji's presumed death in sea of Dirak.

Any responsible commander would have dishonorably discharged her from any duty or fired from any job.
Bitch is absolutely rotten and doesn't get any better.

I don't really want to watch stuff like 3.0 that I know I won't enjoy beforehand. I'll at least try to see the others. Thanks user.

I'm not going to argue you on a point by point basis because I could explain why each of them is wrong and you'd still have the same opinion. It's simply because you don't understand the character, or the show in general. Watch it some more, not all at once but giving yourself time to reflect in between.

>I have an argument but I wont tell you
>huuuurr
I get it that her point is being emotionally damaged and overcompensating.
But the problem is that unlike any other character that has at least some virtue left in them she is like 100% ruined rabid animal that had lost anything humane

Feeling bad for her is like feeling bad for Columbine shooters "poor bullied kids went crazy because nobody loved them" she's pretty much on their level.

>Rebuild is shit because Shinji doesn't participate in waifu wars
Yikes.

>I get it that her point is being emotionally damaged and overcompensating.
This is what I mean, you don't understand. You only think you do.

Different user, but you can't say that's not a notable part of her.

Oh really?
Care to share your cosmic knowledge?

>Shinji Ikari is the greatest anime hero of all time.
>You only hate him because you see yourself.
But I love Shinji and hate myself

I've already said it ad nauseum in past NGE threads. I could say it here and even if you digested it perfectly you wouldn't have the prerequisite experiences to understand her I don't think. The things I say wouldn't make sense unless you have experience with them also.

>I've already said it ad nauseum in past NGE threads. I could say it here and even if you digested it perfectly you wouldn't have the prerequisite experiences to understand her I don't think. The things I say wouldn't make sense unless you have experience with them also.
At least the other user actually has an argument.

We're not in court, I'm not concerned with 'winning' or whatever

So then don't reply to the thread in the first place if you have nothing to say

>you just woulsn't understand
Kek this is the absolute state of Asukafags when held to scrutiny.

Yeah whatever.
You just jerk off to her because shes a redhead, you know she's a shit and are defencive about it but are afraid to have an argument because you know you are going to lose it.

Asuka is a failed character.
Anno has butchered her in Rebuild for a reason, because the original was just BAD.
And coincidentally righr aftet that the neo-Asuka became more popular that the old one ever was which proves the previous point.

The top left pic
Jesus thats when it all goes to shit
Sent creepy chills down my spine

Just because I'm not going to argue with a wall doesn't mean I have nothing to say. I already said it

But you didn't say it. That's why we're having this argument. As far as anyone but you is concerned, you've added nothing to the discussion. Again, if you have a point, make it. Otherwise, don't reply if you know you're just going to be obstinate when people call you out.

I'm not interested in having one of those 100 reply arguments where I try to explain the character to you and you're unable to progress beyond "She's a bitch! She do bad thing! Not good!"
Like I said, you're probably not capable of understanding her even if I explained perfectly.

This is the least efficient method I've ever seen of farming (You)s. If you genuinely don't think people can understand your point of view and change their minds, then there's no way you've explained it perfectly. Don't reply to people hating on Asuka if you don't want discussion about her as a character. Simple.

CHILDHOOD
FRIENDS`

>If you genuinely don't think people can understand your point of view and change their minds, then there's no way you've explained it perfectly.
There are all kinds of opinions you hold that would be physically impossible for me to change with words. No combination of words could do it. The best I could do on these subjects is plant an idea so that your mind changes quicker at a later date.

>There are all kinds of opinions you hold that would be physically impossible for me to change with words. No combination of words could do it.
Sure there are. But we're not talking about those. We're talking about how people interpret an anime character.
>The best I could do on these subjects is plant an idea so that your mind changes quicker at a later date.
If you understand that, then by all means just do it. The more you beat around the bush, the more doubt you inject into the idea that your opinion is of any value.

Agree is a really great written hero, don't know why the hate to be honest

Would you protect this smile?

shinji has premarital sex so hes impious just like th rest of that group. He also enacted his will over everyone after SEELE bowed to him, but he failed to begin a new age and instead everyone died. M

Get off the drugs.

The deciding factor why I don't hate him is seeing Born On The 4th July at 13, several years before the first time I saw Eva.
There's no such thing as refusing hard work. You either do what needs to be done or the river takes you. Plenty of time for second thoughts later.

I think it's more than they see themselves as him, but more likely they don't want to self insert as Shinji due to

>not gungho about robots or fighting
>not alpha towards the waifu baits
>too submissive to the fujobait

You do realize shinji got in the robot so that rei wouldn't have to, right? Hardly beta-male behaviour, and that's the same scene.

It's like people thinking the bright slap did anything to make amuro better, when the only reason he got out of his funk was because char was nearby and on the very next scene amuro steals the gundam and goes hide in the desert.

If I saw into someone's soul like that, like it happens in the series, probably forever.

What are the most embarrassing things you think he saw during instrumentality?
It's like reading a girl's diary, only infinitely worse.

For him, the most embarrassing thing was probably finding out they've been through the same. Except she probably had it worse.

Interesting that before "global" instrumentality even begins, he seems to already know her past. During the kitchen fight he mentions wanting to "stay with her always" (unlike her mother?) and "help" her.
I guess at that point instrumentality had already began for him, and he could look wherever he wanted, and Asuka's soul happened to be the place.
But then she rejected him, so he punished her by making instrumentality global and depriving her of her individuality ('killing' her, thus the symbolic choking followed immediately by god-rei materializing and tanging everyone)

>You all must take great pleasure in hurting characters from the series don't you?

Sorry wrong one.

You Eva fans make me sick. All I ever hear about are how cute the girls are and how much Asuka, Rei, Misato and even Ritsuko suffered but what about Yui? You know, the girl who's floating around in space doomed to live a life of eternal solitude for the price of protecting her son. What about her? Let me guess, the eternal burden this angel has shackled to her back was lost upon you because it slipped your mind? Whoops! OOPS!!!!! FUCKING OOOPS!!!.... UH OHHHH. You pieces of shit deserve what you got with the rebuilds and frankly I can now see why Anno hates this fanbase as much as he does. I don't even know what to say to you all other than that. I would wish you all a good day but I reserve that for friends so I'll just say goodbye and may god have mercy on your souls.

>You know, the girl who's floating around in space doomed to live a life of eternal solitude for the price of protecting her son
Yui is the evil mastermind behind all that clusterfuck and to obtain that ascended state of being was her oroginal goal.

>Ikari Yui
>was a scientist
>contacted ZOG
>hello guys I figured out how to become literal omnipotent gods
>first we use alien superweapon to turn the alien eldritch horror into a fetal state
>that will blow up and kill everyone on the planet
>but thats OK because we just found an enormous alien egg that can be our bomb shelter
>15 years after that aliens will hatch but we will fight them off with our super combat cyborgs cloned from the flesh of the godess that creayed humanity
>then we impregnate the godess with an alien fetus and that will kill everyone
>aftet that the godess will hopefully give us a rebirth in immortal powerful bodies, unless she decides to not do that.
>to get the godess to do what we want we will transfer her soul into a body of a little girl cloned from my remains after i have killed myself to emotionally manipulaye her as my Husbands adopted child

>Genial! You will recieve all the money in the world and all the availble idustrial infrastructure as well as controll over all the military forces to carry out your plan

Yui is fuckef up.

Yui didn't know anything

She was the only person who knew what is actually going on.