Why is 'episodic' almost always used as a criticism?

Why is 'episodic' almost always used as a criticism?

Because episodic anime are a chore to watch, especially when you're marathoning it. You watch each episode waiting for something interesting to happen, only to finish it without anything happening, then you expect something to happen in the next episode and you'll just continue to get disappointed.

Because people communicate through buzzwords.

>waiting for something to happen
So, what has happened in what you've already watched doesn't count?

Because while it leans itself to being more accessible it sacrifices a meaningful overarching plot to do so. I for one generally watch anime to escape from most TV media and how it was all fucking sitcoms where nothing from any other episode had any effect on anything before or after.

Anymore shows have actually started to have plots longer than a single episode in the US which is nice. When i started watching anime all the was on the tv was stupid shit like Seinfeld or Friends. Shows written to last as long as possible and be marketable as long as possible to make ad revenue.

Because it's often synonymous with "formulaic", which often requires very little effort
Some episodic shows write a general plot and then reuse it for 20+ episodes with variations only in dialogue and episode-specific, for example every episode might be about a monster showing up, tearing up the city and then being plastered by MC-kun with the writers only needing to figure out which characters act in what order and coming up with new one-liners and filler SoL scenes
I honestly can't think of any episodic anime that's as bad as my example right now

>I honestly can't think of any episodic anime that's as bad as my example right now
You described the first two thirds of NGE well

Newfags are impressed by overarching plots, because they are used to grimdark HBO shows being heralded as the pinnacle of serial storytelling. True patricians know that episodic shows are much more versatile, and are able to make much more succinct and meaningful use of the short episode format.

>formulaic
What is inherently wrong with this? How does simply having a 'plot' make something better?

I loved Ranma 1/2 and that Rinne thing. But it's basically recycled jokes and tvtropes. It's comfy but no Non nons Biyori. Also the MC always cockblocks himself.

Non non Biyori is episodic you mongoloid.

In addition to this, you have shows that hint at some sort of overarching plot, but then mostly ignore it. The show might not actually be bad, but it wasn't what they were expecting. I've seen this complaint for stuff like Cowboy Bebop, although I can't say I agree with them.

You are a legit idiot.

You don't want every episode to be basically the same thing. A show can be episodic and still do something original each episode.

>Episodic
Utena
Bebop
Kino no Tabi
Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai
Mononoke
Flip Flappers

>Serial
Girlish Number
Re:Zero
Date A Live
Naruto

Hmmm, almost like it depends in the author/screenwriter, and not the style.

>episodic = formulaic
Based off what you just said, obviously that isn't always true. Even if it isn't completely original, episodic shows do very well with subtle character development.

Because when your following a formula it becomes predictable. You know that the stupid character will start some trouble at the start that the serious character has to fix while the silly character makes it worse. Then at the end they solve the problem and suck eachother off. Rinse and repeat next week except now they are all wearing flannel and the problem is slightly different. Generally shows like that will also NEVER under ANY circumstances EVER alter or change the formula in any significant way. There are a lot of shows that are episodic that arent as bad as that but generally thats the problem.

Another problem with something thats really episodic is that shit doesnt seem to truly have any kind of consequences or impact. Its generally monster of the week or whatever that doesnt influence the characters in any real meaningful way. Or even worse changes the cast too often so you never even get to feel connected to characters.

>predictable
So what?

He just explained to you why that's bad.

Episodic is never a valid criticism.
Most of the greatest shows ever made have some form of filler content to flesh out either the world or cast of characters.

I don't see any reason to be a TV show and not a film if you're not episodic. Episodes are the very structure of the format, embrace it.

Sailor Moon. Some of the SOL was nice, but it's fucking tiring when you have to sit through the same monster of the week shit + same attacks nearly every episode.

Yes, and I liked it. Why is that mongos?

Exprain.

"Filler content to flesh out either the world or cast of characters" does not equate episodic.

It's my favourite kind of storytelling honestly, I don't really get the criticisms either.

People are stupid. Many great anime are episodic, from great comedies like Urusai Yatsura, Cromartie High School, and Sayonara, Zetsubo Sensei, to great ambiant series, like Kino No Tabi, Mushishi, and Aria.

>great ambiant series, like Kino No Tabi, Mushishi, and Aria
And better ones than those as well.

it's not
/thread

Like what? I'll add them to my backlog, if I haven't seen them.

What year are we in?

I don't think it is and I'm a neet who's here 10 hours a day.

My NEET brother. I watched 13 episodes of anime today. Plus, I browsed Sup Forums for hours, and was very successful in a long argument that I feel I won.
Good day.

Because ret/a/rds can't distinguish between 'episodic' and 'formulaic'.

then why not do us a solid and clearly differentiate between them for a brainlet like myself

is your brain so small you can't google?

yes, please indulge me, o mighty user

.hack boys

no

>doesnt like Seinfeld
Pleb

Episodic with a slow-burning overarching plot is the best format. You cannot dispute this.

Episodic is good, formulaic is bad.

This is true. But some will say slow-burn doesn't count because they want to be surprised at every turn.

Formulaic is good, episodic is bad.

Formulaic is good, episodic is good. Monster of the week is bad, unless it's Utena or CCS

slow subtle burn is the best. episodic eps mixed with plot heavy eps usually divide a series and make the plot episodes seem shit by comparison. best example ive ever seen was the X Files, which had great monster of the week episodes but the worst fucking plot episodes , i would also say the same about Cowboy Bebop

“‘Episodic anime are the McDonald’s of fiction; it’s fast food storytelling. Every problem is like every other problem. They all get solved in a half an hour. Nobody ever gets hurt, and nobody needs to care. You give up a half an hour of your time, and you don’t really have to get involved. It’s all plastic.”

from what is this quote

No, that's formulaic

Writer seems to be a kind of person who thinks Elfen Lied is a deep and serious anime

ex Star Trek author

It warrants criticism because it is the style in which the plot and story is told. Now giving a show good criticism or bad criticism based on its episodic format is a different story. Shows aren't necessarily terrible because they are episodic. It's just a style, and people have opinions on whether or not they enjoy episodic formats. Writing off a show because it is episodic is short sighted, but if they don't like the style then they don't have to watch it.

>Episodic
Looney Tunes
Seinfeld
Star Trek

>Ongoing
Days of Our Lives
The Young and the Restless
General Hospital

>especially when you're marathoning it
Then don't, faggot.