Name ONE (1) asspull in the entire series

One Piece once again proves to be the best action-adventure shonen. Not afraid to make characters lose or have actual consequences. No edginess, no power creep, only high class adventure and worldbuilding.

Only one that is arguable is Zoro's Asura as it's given no explaination and doesn't fit the logic of One Piece (randomly attaining several more limbs and heads without a Hana Hana no Mi) but Zoro has been shown to give off demonic illusions before in his fights.

>Pell
Not an asspull. Zoans are extremely durable, and strong characters have been shown to tank explosions since Baratie. Also an unimportant character.

>Gears/Diable Jambe/Red Hawk
Not asspulls. All of the gears are just Luffy taking advantage of the stretching properties of his fruit (Gear 2 being his blood vessels, Gear 3 being his bones, Gear 4 being his muscles).

Diable Jambe and Red Hawk are both the results of high friction, something already established from other villains setting themselves on fire the same way (Pearl, Wanze, Hannybal

>klabautermann
Not an asspull, as mythical creatures existed in One Piece since the begining, even going back to Monsters. We saw it tending to the ship in Skypiea and it still lead to a lot of the conflict in Water 7.

>overpowered fruits
Don't exist. Fruits are as powerful as the person makes them to be. A user creavity is what make's Doffy's string fruit OP vs Foxxy having a better verison of The World's power and being a scrub.

>Haki
Literally seen in the first chapter. If you don't accept that, the next time it's alluded to is Crocodile's second fight with Luffy and is worried he has haki until realizing it's water/blood and laughs it off. Then right after that we have Jaya and Skypiea were haki plays a big role.

It's not a ki, it's not instawin. It's only three distinct abilities tied to a person's literal ambition that can still be countered against by circumstances and creativity (Vergo jobbing to Law, for example, or Bishonen Cracker vs Luffy).

>Diable Jambe
And how the hell doesn't he burn his pants and legs? Don't come up with armor haki because Sanji doesn't learn that until timeskip

Wan Piss

>Asura
It IS an asspull.

The same reason why fruits also affect the clothing of users.

Is that your explanation?

The NAKAMA! power ups

As a good cook, Sanji has fireproof pants.

>Pell
>Durable enough to tank a nuke
The only logical explanation for Pell is that the species his fruit is based is one of the fastest alive.

O
MY
DEVIL ARMS AND HEADS

Yeah. OP runs on cartoon logic.

It's only when things aren't consistent where it becomes an asspull (Asura).

Isn't Asura basically just afterimages to create the illusion of him having multiple arms

Fruits affecting clothes makes sense post timeskip since paramecia awakenings affect things other than and around the user.
Still doesn't explain Sanji unless that theory about Sanji being a human devil fruit was true.

Afterimages of what?Its not life luffy punching superfast.Its just an illusion which hasan't been explained or even hinted.Pretty much the only asspull in op

Luffy thought he would die vs Foxxy and announced it.
Luffy would have lost that fight and had to surrender his flag except god Ussop gave Luffy an Afro wig and it caught a shard of broken mirror.
Foxxy was a serious threat who didn’t seem like one because he’s goofy. He had won over 900 Davy Back Fights before facing Luffy.

The logical explanation was that in the panels before the explosion a Falcon statue raised itself out of the sand and shattered simultaneous with Pell’s self sacrifice, acting as a magical life token like the bitch in Toriko used.

Pell was saved by the god of death, Pluton. Pluton was the god of the underworld and he could let people come back from death.

Don’t read so fast.

Soul in the Sword and it’s not an asspull it’s how Kuina decided to fulfill the promise they made.
Swords are STATED to sometimes have souls, like the twelve master swords all being stated to choose their wielder.

>nakama power ups

The entire Whitebeard saga proves this wrong but let's go with a recent example

This panel is direct foreshadowing that Weevil will defeat Luffy in 1v1. Its also a homage to Fujitora in Kenshin.

You will have to try harder user

I shouldn’t have used all caps but other than that my post was accurate.

I will give One Piece credit for killing characters when there's absolutely no way for them to survive (Ace, Whitebeard, Monet, Vergo, Whitebeard's grand fleet, some of Big Mom's children, Z)

No O MY RUBBER NEN shit.

The legend of Asura says that the gods Asura and Sura eternally compete with each other.
Zoro and Kuina’s promise was literally this, and his technique is therefore named after his and Kuina’s promise.

Explain Chopper's hat getting bigger in Monster Point.

Man, this thread reminds me how much of a shit One piece has become. I mean it was never that good, but now it's full garbage
>art style lost it's charm
>chopper ruined
>Zoro turned in to nothing more than LOL IM LOST meme
>all the "hot" women have the exact same physique
>master of stalling, both manga and anime, though the anime takes it to a whole new level by having about 1/3rd of an episode consist of recap and stills
>barely any character development, actually, it's more like character development
>all the antagonists are either powerful guys or annoying ugly fucks, the only way they can make memorable enemies is by making them as retarded as possible with dumbass laughter & speech impediments
>any kind of emotion is always over the top mucus flowing out of every orifice -style hideous mess with mouth open big enough to fit a football in there
>Luffy is still a literal brainlet, despite being an "adult" now

How this show keeps being relevant is beyond me.
It's the most apparent "beating of a dead horse" franchise I know.

>4 panels = 30 seconds
That's... the magic of Toei

Gon in HxH has faced actual consequences and all his powers and abilities are gone, he is no longer in the story even

StrawHats had faced zero consequences despite all of them being in their dark continent equivalent so yeah Wan Piss is garbo. Also Togashi had more interesting plot and build up in 30 chapters of DC arc than OP in 100 chapters.

I always envisioned Asura being Zoro moving so quickly that it appears he has multiple body parts. I really like that theory that his Kitetsu is supplying the ability to Asura.

The magic of making money

Using all caps to provide emphasis upon a word is fine, user.

Oda have more published chapters in a single month than Togashi in a whole year.

B I R D C A G E
I
R
D
C
A
G
E

Quality > Quantity Wan Piss drinking wage cuck. I'd rather read something that actually produces good content even if it's 10 chapters/year. You should stop comparing the two, it's insulting to Togashi.

Consequentlly, he has also published more trash than Togashi

I meant that if paramecias can affect their surroundings only through awakenings then it's logical to assume that it's an ability inherent to all DFs but mitigated and limited to clothes in non-awakened paramecias.

Why do some people think One Piece is good?It really isn't in retrospect.

It feels like all the One Piece characters get backstories written retroactively, and there really isn't anything planned. You guys just fall for it being planned when it's all retroactive backstory. For example Sanji, do you really think when he was introduced the author had any of the Germa shit in mind? No. No he didn't.

With HxH it feels like everything is intentional and all the backstories of the characters are known as soon as they're introduced, and the author isn't just retroactively trying to make them flow within the story.

OP is also bloated with shallow story lines and characters that are only there to extend the story so it can be milked for more money. There is so much garbage piled over the half decent story that it just makes it so tedious to go through.

HxH has a focused tight story throughout every arc and as a whole, and still manages to have an expansive world full of gray characters with their own thoughts, desires, motivations and beliefs. HxH's story is better because Togashi isn't trying to milk it endlessly, and there is a vast difference in writing talent between Togashi and Oda.

Why do you guys like One Piece so much? It's the Mcdonalds equivalent of manga.

Gon-san was one of the worst asspulls in history. The condition was he would die after defeating Pitou yet didn't. You can't even use the "nen after death" excuse if he was truly depleated of using nen. And you know he's going to be able to use it again since characters like Kurapika are able to break the rules of their own conditions.

Saying the Straw Hats haven't struggled while defending this shows some sign of brain damage.

I honest to god feel like 99% of people have no fucking clue what an asspull even is nowadays.

What an asspull really is:
>When the author pulls out something out of nowhere such as a move, character, or gains a powerup that was not implied or foreshadowed AT ALL, nor does it make logical sense for that to happen or appear.

What is not an asspull? :

>The original SSJ transformation which was being talked and foreshadowed about all throughout the Namek saga and with the whole zenkai power boosts.
>Gear 2nd and 3rd which are logical techniques made by utilizing Luffy's devil fruit in order to increase his stats.
>Hollow Ichigo's appearance in Hueco Mundo arc. Yes, contrary to popular belief, it is NOT an asspull. Beforehand, Hollow Ichigo outright told Ichigo that if he's in trouble, he WILL appear, and Ichigo was definitely in trouble, facing Ulquiorra.
>Naruto fully controlling the Kyuubi

What IS an asspull? :

>Fairy Tale with Natsu and his fucking legendary Nakama punches
>Yusuke and the demon transformation
>Near and Mello appearing out of nowhere

Gear Second/Third was foreshadowed to begin with and the only people who think it was an asspull are literal speedreaders.

>Pell
>Not an asspull. Zoans are extremely durable, and strong characters have been shown to tank explosions since Baratie.
Stopped reading. If you actually read it, Pell (and Oda,as the one writting his speech) basically admits he's going to die, complete with dramatic flashback,speech and montage with him smiling as he accepts his fate while he's being nuked. His Falcon pillar crumbles. If Oda wanted him to survive since the beginning, he wouldn't have written the scene like that. He just changed his mind at the last moment and pulled the first thing out of his ass like "a doctor just happened to pick him up xDDD".

Good pasta with dubs

>being this mad about the vs thread.
Not even once.

Explain Pagaya surviving a El Thor in the face

Literally none of these are true, good criticism

>30 seconds
you're like little baby

>Do you really think Oda planned Sanji as a prince of an ancient kingdom.
>Mr. Prince
Yes.

Why is that a factor? Quality > Quantity. I'm not 80 years old, I can wait good quality.

Mangakas die.
One Piece is Quality and Quantity, since the two ideas are not exclusive.

"NANANANA it's not true!! I'm not listening!!" -the post

>responding twice to the same post
Please return to whatever board you came from, filthy newfag trash.

But all of that is just like your opinion user.

Why the fuck is Togashi allowed to do this? I get that they have reasons to keep him in but this is fucking insulting to every other jump mangaka.

He and that guy fell into the white sea before they got hit

IIRC, he basically saved SJ when he was doing YYH that his contract now is basically whatever he says goes.

Isn't Asura just Zoro moving really fast? Is basically the trick of the after images but with dozens of swords swinging around.

See:

This anime is a fucking joke

Also his bounty never having a picture of him until recently

I did listen, it's just that you're incorrect. You're even dumb enough to watch the anime, which has never been good outside a few movies.

>>art style lost it's charm
Not only is that just your opinion, it's a fucking shitty one at that. The art has unironically gotten better overtime.

>>chopper ruined
If by ruined you mean he's now too "cutesy", although I won't disagree that change happened well before timeskip. If you were actually reading the series you would know that by now.

>>Zoro turned in to nothing more than LOL IM LOST meme
There has been a total of ONE time that Zoro got lost. During Dressrosa when him and Sanji are looking at Viola if you need me to direct you. Honestly you could've said this with any of the otehr character's gags and you may have had a point, the fact that you said Zoro just shows you don't know what you're talking about.

>>all the "hot" women have the exact same physique
In the anime, yes. However they're bodies are fairly different in the manga.

>>master of stalling, both manga and anime, though the anime takes it to a whole new level by having about 1/3rd of an episode consist of recap and stills

>le running meme XD
Blatantly wrong and you're only saying that cause ONE chapter wasn't completely jam packed with shit going on. And even then this current arc had a shit load of those types of chapters, but you're just too autistic to remember any of them.

>>all the antagonists are either powerful guys or annoying ugly fucks, the only way they can make memorable enemies is by making them as retarded as possible with dumbass laughter & speech impediments
>The enemies not being boring edgy villain of the week is now a bad thing

>>Luffy is still a literal brainlet, despite being an "adult" now
Wrong, you're just being autistic now at this point

Yeah and somehow you, a person who won't even explain why something is wrong is automatically correct?
"I'll just call him dumb that'll show him!" -the post

>Luffy is a brainlet.
Yea and so was Vash the Stampede.

The entire marineford arc proves you wrong, there was asspull after asspull. His fights against lucci also prove you wrong.

>comparing short series to 1000 chapter clusterfuck
Wew lad . No one want to watch a XD SO QUIRKY brainlet for 800 chapters. At least Togashi changes the MC in HxH to Kurapika and Gon does realistic actions like threatening innocents while Luffy is still a goody two shoes brainlet

>Usopp woke him up and convinced him he could still win.
>asspull
Usopp is a better boxing coach than Kamagowa.

Luffy has always been very smart.

>One piece is QUALITY

FTFY

>condition was that he would die
Nowhere is that stated. The closest thing Illumi said was that his restriction was worse than death.
There are worse things than dying user.

Which were the asspulls in Marineford?

>Get 1 shotted in water 7
>Be half dead
>Oi! get up!
>BY THE POWER OF NAKAMA I AM CAPTAIN ASSPULL!

To write a smart character the author needs to be smart, you can't just state it in text and expect people to believe it. Luffy is demonstrably a retard, while HxH's smart characters (Kurapika, Pariston, Ging etc) act how people with triple digit IQs in real life behave.

Imagine if Luffy was in a situation like the DC boat where he can't just GOMU GOMU SMASH problems away, he wouldn't last a second.

Not him but the asspull was that kitty even let him transform. Nefertiti was severely nerfed.

>get knocked out and then get woken up.
It happens, it’s not an asspull in the slightest.

>asspull after asspull
>major characters die and Luffy keeps getting defeated
Ok

>lucci vs luffy proves you wrong
Explain. If you mention Gears you're getting bitch slapped.

>Not only is that just your opinion, it's a fucking shitty one at that.
old style had a uniqueness, while the new style is getting rounder and blander with every new arc, kinda like garfield but that actually got better

>f by ruined you mean he's now too "cutesy", although I won't disagree that change happened well before timeskip.
Exactly, he's been turned in to a mascot and the style of his forms are now completely different and shit in design, not to mention losing his cool hat

>There has been a total of ONE time that Zoro got lost. During Dressrosa when him and Sanji are looking at Viola if you need me to direct you.
it's been a running gag for a very long time and it never was funny or made any sense, we've had zoro having bad sense of directions since start but Dressrosa smeared it on our faces for hours

>In the anime, yes. However they're bodies are fairly different in the manga.
Barely. Only one who makes a major leap out of the mold is the mermaid princess.

>Blatantly wrong and you're only saying that cause ONE chapter wasn't completely jam packed with shit going on. And even then this current arc had a shit load of those types of chapters, but you're just too autistic to remember any of them.
The pacing is undeniably horrible and now you're just defending it

>The enemies not being boring edgy villain of the week is now a bad thing
No, the enemies being retarded (ex, nearly the entire blackbeard crew) for the sake of memorability and uniqueness is a bad thing.

>Wrong, you're just being autistic now at this point
Calling me autistic all the time only reflects on yourself and why it hurts for you to admit how shit it is.
Good job saying I'm "wrong" but not why it's wrong.
Luffy is a fucking moron and there has not been a single instance out side of a battle where he has shown any kind of sense or intellect
Prove me wrong, I'll wait.

>Water 7
Luffy got thrown out a building

Burgess is very intelligent and suspects Kuzan as unreliable at best.
Van Augur was introduced as a philosopher who could shoot and hit with over the horizon distance moving targets the size of seagulls.

Not him but
>Van Augur was introduced as a philosopher
[citation needed]

Not samefag but anyway.

Luffy was already down, Ussop yelled some stuff and Luffy got scared Lucci would go after him. Then half-dead Luffy tanked yet another Rokougan and did the finisher. It indeed is a nakama powerup. It is not that big of an asspull as the fight was pretty much even.

Asura is the greatest (and only big) real asspull in the whole series. Nobody dies in One Piece if it is not a flashback.

Believing in fate doesn't equal being a philosopher, broski. Is Zoro a philosopher too? I don't even know why I'm responding

>tfw we'll probably never see another fight with Luffy vs. someone equal to him in strength

>comprehension this terrible
Luffy didn’t gain any extra stats it was just that Lucci was also very weak and tired by the end of the fight.

He’s not just believing in fate he’s speaking about Karma.
The fact he was introduced speaking on a subject like this was to tell the reader he is intelligent.

We're seeing it right now with Katakuri.

No, not really. That being in a state of shock, regaining your senses and promptly attacking

Did you miss the entire invasion part of the CA arc? it clearly explained multiple times that all the Royal Guards evolved and gained human personalities in that little time. Pitou was a wild savage beast when she killed Kite and if he stayed that way there was no way she would have even tried to save Komugi if she didnt change. Her not attacking was showing she was scared.

>not attacking while a character is powering up
Literally DB. Pitou doesn't get an accuse since she was shown to be ruthless before. And of course her boss being the most powerful being in existence who tried to kill her once.

>Luffy is a fucking moron and there has not been a single instance out side of a battle where he has shown any kind of sense or intellect

Not that user but wasn't he the only one to see through Robin's BS in Water 7? There was also the incident in the bar with Bellamy.

It makes no sense that Gon lives when Kite died. The bitch detected them from far away.

If there are worse things than dying then why is Kurapika so overpowered with his conditions.

I love how people bitch about luffy vs lucci but le edgy gon nakama power up is considered good writing

Lacking Nen is not one of those things. If he was quadriplegic you might have an argument.

>Not that user but wasn't he the only one to see through Robin's BS in Water 7?
You mean Sanji? Cause Sanji did all that and actually acted on that doubt by tailing her and staging a rescue.

>Overpowered
He's only ever been OP in 1v1 setups, this is known about his ability. He has to fish, and Togashi writes it, so that he doesn't fight multiple people because he can only lockdown one of them while the other rapes his face.

My hope is that since Kurapika really only got one fight in York Shin, that during the boat ride this will actually be shown.

Because he put clever restrictions that would fit his objectives?

How strong is Ultima Gon? It’s obvious that he will get that strong again because the definition of the contract is that it’s the best he will be in the future, so if he doesn’t get there his nen wouldn’t be lost.

sanji is a bioweapon didn't you get anything from the current arc?

sure he might be the weakest bioweapon but his extreme durability and immunity to his own fire is explained from his conception. it also explains how he's managed to keep up with everyone else while only literally cooking.

>Luffy is a fucking moron and there has not been a single instance out side of a battle where he has shown any kind of sense or intellect

Not that guy, but you make it sound like this is a criticism. Characters are allowed to have flaws, and "fixing" flaws doesn't necessarily equate to good writing.

Luffy is indeed a fucking moron, and a bunch of other bad things too, but he isn't the same kind of moron he was in the beginning of the story.

>Is that one HxH fag butthurt because he lost his rigged strawpoll again

These are my favourite episodes