Why is slice of life a thing?

Why is slice of life a thing?

It's cute, comfy, and unironically tends to have better writing than plot-heavy anime.

Because the whole life won't fit into a one cour anime.

Fun things are fun.

tanoshii wa tanoshii da yo

I like to imagine there is a spectrum with "plot driven" on one end and "character driven" on the other end.
SoL is as character driven as it can get, which is why it is most usually "seinen". People who enjoy SoL enjoy character driven narratives in its purest form.

art mimics life

It makes me feel good.

Season 2 when?

this scene right there was the moment anime changed forever

for the worse

I don't have a life of my own so i watch Chinese Cartoon characters having one to fill the void

I've seen this so many times and I don't think I've ever noticed there's more girls in the background.

You and me both brother.

It's something enjoyable to non-edgelord, non-tryhard, non-insecure adults, as opposed to endless battle harem LNs for horny teens and action-shonens for children/ADD manchildren.

No other medium on this earth does SoL like anime can and it is wonderful. I'd proposition it as the true inalienable treasure of the medium.

>non-insecure
That's why you have to reiterate on it not being edgy, or tryhard and being better than other genres while bashing on their fanbases. Not insecure at all. Just dig what you dig, bruh, no need to justify anything here, we are not your alcoholic dad.

It's relaxing.

A transition to slice of life is what should happen to most things after the end of the main plot instead of just ending.

it's confy and it makes me know how having friends and do stuff together actually feels like

Not him, but everyone I know that refuse to watch comedy and SoL anime are literally incapable of watching movies or read books that are even remotely "non fantastical"

They find things like King Lear, Big Lebowski, There Will be Blood all boring by virtue of not being battle shonen or having giant robots. Like they are literally incapable of relating to something real because they're fucking retarded. Like I once said Gundam 00 is a 9/11 commentary, he just refused to see it because "Muhhh mecha". Literally incapable of comparing fiction to real life because they're that dense and edgy.

Your best bit is some anecdotal evidence. I take issue with the way you present your arguments. Use "I think" and "in my experience" when making statements like > because these are all non-scientific presented as if you did actual research on the matter

It's a thing for adults who have gone out into the world and seen how shit it is, and want something to make them forget about how badly life sucks, even if it's only for 20 mins.

That's the reason why the cute girl SoL anime are usually called Iyashikei, or healing anime. They make us forget our daily troubles.

>Gundam 00 is a 9/11 commentary
Destiny was actually a bigger one.

Iyashikei and SoL are different genres and don't have to be relevant to eachother at all.

Most iyashikei are SoL, though the opposite is not correct, of course.

Why are people incapable of liking both giant fucking robots shows with non-giant robots? Why can't people ike both? or is the word both forbidden in Sup Forums discussion because people want to bitch and moan instead and see it as a copout because its inconceivable that people might like more than 1 genre?

>Why can't people ike both?
They do. But it makes no sense to discuss them together.

>Why are people incapable of liking both giant fucking robots shows with non-giant robots?
But many of us like Macross.

Because the Japanese would like to watch something that helps them pretend that their lives are nice and that they don't work slave labor for 80 hours a week.

because it's the most relatable genre there is.

What is Celestial Being in that comparison? What is the Federation? What are the aliens? What are the rogue Gundam triad? You need to make these links instead of stating your claims to give an argument.

It's lite comedy.

where the humor comes from the delivery of mundane things.

where in proper comedy. you have to set up jokes and get absurd.

If it's not SoL or moeblob it's an edgy anime.

It isn´t, non non biyori and this are shit.

Commentary was the wrong word because it isn't a 1:1, but if you can't see the obvious allusions to 9/11 and the social, political, and economical enivorments that are present in 00 and the real world, then you're blind.

same 2bh

Is this what happened to Yui from K-On when she graduated college

Terrorism, the justification of meeting violence with violence, and God are all the major themes of 00 and pretty much can be used as a comparison to the USA acting againt "terrorism". Our Christian God is better than your God or whatevr.

Celestial Being is labelled a terrorist organization by nearly every world government, despite the fact that their mission statement is to destroy war. Aka USA using violence to stop violence. the justification of meeting violence with violence. Naturally, 9/11 resulted in the war on terrorism. This is the clearest commentary on 9/11 that literally any should be able to see in Gundam 00. God is also a huge thing in 00 as the MC is constantly trash talking God despite piloting a Gundam with "angelic wings".

Like fuck, the fact that you even had to ask what the Celestial Being is as an allusion to the post 9/11 world, AKA war on terror, just proves to me you're a fucking blind retard.
Also the Sri Lanka Civil War is literally name dropped in 00 and a canonical event in 00. The actual war ended 2 months after 00 ended and I'm honestly not even going to bother typing all the similarities between 00 and the actual civil war in Sri Lanka. Go read a fucking wiki article and watch the show again.

And I do love both mecha and SoL. I was never making an argument as to why one is better than the other.
All I was trying to point out with is that some people just don't like comedies or things that are "too realisitc" because they're a self inserting audience who can only identify with a world that is so alien to theirs because they're pathetic losers who want to get "lost" in some fantasy world. And even when those fantasy worlds present real world allusions, like gundam 00, some people even refuse to see that because they're so blind and dense to the real world.

I really miss when edginess was seen as a good thing.

Because you can explore themes and characters without guns, explosions and swords.

So what are the aliens? How do they allude to any real life events or represent any significant entity?

>So what are the aliens?
jews

I remember it being boring but in a good way.
Once I nodded off in one of there lunchtime talking scenes for about 7 minutes, didn't miss a thing.

God, you're so fucking dense that it's hurting me. The movie sucks, but the ESLs are a peaceful race that was forced from their homeworld because they exhausted its resources and their sun died or whatever. Like how do you not see the real world ties with that? X race needs more shit (whether they actually need it or just want more shit, it doesn't matter) so they are forced (or just want to) to use violence to take shit from other races; that's literally the plot of all human civilization, give me your shit because I don't have it.

It doesn't fucking matter that the ESLs are aliens, they're a stand in for any sentient species or race attacking another "alien" race or species.

This user is joking and he still has more insight than you.

With most anime it's shitty plot or no plot.

>Like how do you not see the real world ties with that?

Because you're stretching your real world allusions impossibly thin. There's no attempts at communication, there's no attempted sharing of resources, they're quite literally an alien species that there's no intermediary for so they immediately resort to violence. The fact that Setsuna becomes this and immediately they're willing to fuck off without accruing those resources needed for survival is even worse because regardless of their understanding, the need is still there. Celestial Being and the Federation might be very easy to compare and allude to real world scenarios but the movie, certain characters/side characters, etc. are you trying to make a connection that isn't there.

I said the fucking movie sucks. I'm sorry that you're so fucking dumb that you literally have 0 reference to human history to the point where you think my analogy is "stretched impossibly thin". Do you think the Spanish Inquisition tried to communicate or share resources with the Muslims and Jews during the reconquista? Fuck no, you either converted to Christianity or the Mozarabs fucking killed you. The whole point of the reconquista was to consolidate the economy back into christian hands and murder the fucking jews and muslims to take their kingdoms. It doesn't fucking matter if they're from another planet, what the ESLs did in that shitty movie is no different than what's been going on for all of human history, the fact that they can travel through space doesn't fucking matter to making that connection.

Way to ignore the entire part about the aliens just fucking off into the universe because Setsuna conveyed a "mutual understanding". Human history has had violent uprisings in a battle of resources before but there is an actual conclusion to these events regardless of the victor that isn't "the Christians slapped their shit but they came to a mutual understanding and the Muslims left forever instead of converting".

Also, the fact that you're getting butthurt about Gundam 00 despite skimming over simple queries about the series (HURR MIDDLE EAST WAR YOU'RE SO FUCKING DUMB) is amazing. A discussion doesn't require you to pretend your allusions or rather, those of Gundam 00, aren't well done by throwing ad hominems everywhere.

>Way to ignore the entire part about the aliens just fucking off into the universe because Setsuna conveyed a "mutual understanding"

You're so fucking dense. I said the movie fucking sucks. It sucks because it doesn't add anything to the series. I'm not even particularly fond of 00 and I never said the allusions were well done. All I said is that they are there. If you can't fucking see that then whatever. It doesnt fucking matter to me if you can't see that connection. It doesn't even matter if that connection is strong, it's still there.

You're being a pedantic faggot for no reason.

I never said otherwise for anything alluded to in the series. Again, a query for clarification doesn’t imply disagreement which you seem intent on. The only argument I stated was that the movie’s allusions are shit.