This bridge failure really bothers me and we need to get the people on top to take responsibility

This bridge failure really bothers me and we need to get the people on top to take responsibility.

It's not about the people who died or the $, it's the sorry state of engineering & universities. This bridge was such a bad idea, yet it got approved by a university, the contract awarded by cronies. It had a pylon and cable stays that were purely cosmetic. It was a plain old concrete bridge made to LOOK like a modern suspended bridge.

Failure was probably some really obvious mistake too. Engineers need to be brilliant and diligent. This type of shit is the downfall of the country.

Attached: bridgecollapse_sm.gif (565x478, 564K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cee.fiu.edu/about/faculty-staff/faculty/atorod-azizinamini/
youtube.com/watch?v=Cfby0FYLBkM&feature=youtu.be
facilities.fiu.edu/projects/BT_904/MCM_FIGG_Proposal_for_FIU_Pedestrian_Bridge_9-30-2015.pdf
ros-lehtinen.house.gov/issue/civil-liberties-and-equal-rights-0
archive.is/5eFok#selection-755.138-755.364
youtube.com/watch?v=xYLrBQv3t4o
olivermcgee.org/fiu-bridge-collapse-why-muller-breslau-matters/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I hope someone is prosecuted and they don't just give the families money and pretend everything is ok.

FIU's top bridge guy winning an award from Obama
cee.fiu.edu/about/faculty-staff/faculty/atorod-azizinamini/

Attached: buildbridgesnotwalls.jpg (860x644, 150K)

Whats wrong with a plain old concrete bridge if it stands? Not that this did lol

the people on top of the bridge when it fell? oh the extra weight.

Attached: ok.jpg (400x300, 14K)

it look like the guy's hat stays up in the air like a cartoon

The Swiss should just design all the world's bridges.

Attached: 10_Sunnibergbruecke.jpg (710x463, 108K)

It literally was a plain old concrete bridge with an ugly truss pattern. The central pylon in the plans was purely cosmetic. The "stays" are actually just 16 inch pipes.

Attached: bridge.webm (1080x1080, 131K)

engineer user did some analysis.

Another mentioned there would be high thermal expansion in the top vs bottom because of the hot sun. I calculated about 1/4 inch but I am not officially an engineer.

Attached: 1521228004043.png (1584x1584, 398K)

Florida International University president Mark Rosenberg said the university followed all the processes required during the building of the bridge, and all contractors are certified by the state.
-source-
Quote:
University President Mark B. Rosenberg was also there.

Rosenberg talked about his own experience dealing with memories of the holocaust, as his mother was a survivor of the event, according to Gilces.

Source: Holocaust survivor returns to University to honor Jews
Quote:
With approximately 3,500 Jewish students, FIU now ranks in the top 20 campuses in the nation in terms of Jewish enrollment. According to H2G President Viviana Furth: “Miami’s Jewish community has the opportunity to help accelerate the integration and contribution of young Jewish immigrants to American society by using our key asset – networking.”

Mistakes happen, this time people died. There will be an investigation, people will be held accountable.

Get over it and stop being such a pussy.

I'm willing to bet 5 dollaridoos that one or more of the people involved were appointed because they weren't white males.

>Rosenberg talked about his own experience dealing with memories of the holocaust
please tell me you are kidding

All will bow to the diversity god with equality as an ethic. It's the final stage of a decadent nation.

How long did the bridge manage to stay whole? And what is it that collapsed it?

It was meant to have supports at the median, which explains the truss pattern. The problem is that they decided to stop building it halfway.

Attached: 1521219954776.jpg (1200x4694, 903K)

Is there no such thing as building control there. How did local council engineers not check it out to comply with loadings etc

Cubans, in florida I'm not sure that is considered diverse though, I would say it's just plain old hispanic corruption.

Attached: file.png (650x377, 327K)

i take your 5, and raise you 10

liddle debbies district...
so many strange happenings in her district this past year.. ever since she told the dc chief about the consequences....
youtube.com/watch?v=Cfby0FYLBkM&feature=youtu.be

Attached: district_debbie_consequences.jpg (203x248, 12K)

>pylons larger at the top than at the base
I don't think this is optimized

>the people that built that bridge didn't even play the bridge constructor pc game

I guess the pylon looks too much like a dick

No I'm not. I just cut-pastaed from vnnforum.

Ps. Forget Cat. 5 hurricanes for this bridge. Even 5 cats walking on it was too much.

Seriously this shit irks the fuck out of me. The donor class needs to be gassed. I don't give a fuck if these were "muh conservative cubans" it's utter horse shit and its stealing money from me and you to fund some idiot goblina spawn nobility. This shit goes on everywhere and Its not even about the bridges that collapse its the bridge going up i the first place. Shit needs to end.

Stress test done & the rebar bent, when tension up by the cables after test the section failed & collapsed. It would suggest the manufacture of the basting - the mix was not done correctly or it had not been allowed to cure correctly

About time to tear down the Washington Monument as well please.

I think that was mistaken actually. They are actually just empty pipes purely their for cosmetic reasons.

It's still pretty fucked though. It would actually be a cool bridge if it was cable stayed, but in reality it was just a pretend structure. Source on this. Can't see any place for cables inside these pipes.

facilities.fiu.edu/projects/BT_904/MCM_FIGG_Proposal_for_FIU_Pedestrian_Bridge_9-30-2015.pdf

Attached: 1521227228874.jpg (2015x1332, 201K)

For sure. The "white 56%er males who don't really do shit but wheel and deal with politicians" still run the show and get the lions share of the profits but Oh no we need diversity. NO problem lets just diversify the people actually responsible for creating this structure.

Why did the bridge collapse? What are anons guessing?

>Ps. Forget Cat. 5 hurricanes for this bridge. Even 5 cats walking on it was too much.
haha

Lots of good jokes coming out of this bridge.

Noodles's district is FL23--isn't this part FL27, the gusano Ileana Ros-Lehtinen?

> As a refugee from the brutal Castro dictatorship,

ros-lehtinen.house.gov/issue/civil-liberties-and-equal-rights-0

you're delusional if you think anything is going to happen, this will be swept under the rug

>Why did the bridge collapse?

Because the chicken crossed the road

Probably a woman engineer mandated in the diversity clause of the university construction contracts.

We have building inspectors who are supposed to make sure shit is up to code. But they can easily be bought off and the builders are likely hired and paid by the same people who employ the inspectors, civic construction is a real shit show.

t. Tradesman

My conclusion is also concrete. They used some new "self cleaning" concrete and it flat out looks like the concrete exploded
archive.is/5eFok#selection-755.138-755.364

You can see some of the pouring.
youtube.com/watch?v=xYLrBQv3t4o

Attached: 1521153858819.png (627x651, 511K)

>hey guise i have an idea
>let's put heavy stuff on the bridge to see if it breaks
>while people are driving under it
>what could go wrong?

the best guess right now is that the pretensioning fucked up. Either it wasnt done right or there was faulty material or equipment. The bridge seems to have failed right in the middle which means there was not enough compression on the concrete.

Saw this floating around. does Sup Forums know if there's any validity here? Was this project some diversity initiative bullshit? Or is this just edgy trolling

Attached: 29313380_10211252351200387_291276594591301632_o.jpg (1267x1980, 387K)

I just don't see how it was an awesome idea to put up an unfinished project on a busy roadway...

Indeed it did

Attached: green chicken miami florida university Google Maps.png (827x567, 1.05M)

Attached: 1446576791090.jpg (125x110, 4K)

The concrete looks like this because it didn't have traditional rebar, so after the post-tension cables gave out there was nothing to keep it from crumbling

It ain't gonna end. The kikes have riled-up everyone against the white man, to the point of four-legs good... two-legs bad mentality. Except it's minorities are good, the white man is bad.

>few dozen guys
>Half an hour
>Literally a bunch of cheap metal sticks
>Lasts decades
Just sayin.

Attached: Bailey Jay Bridge.jpg (640x449, 81K)

>They are actually just empty pipes purely their for cosmetic reasons.
I'm trying to give as much benefit of doubt to the engineers and blame city planners for stopping half-way but that's becoming a challenge.

AvE gives a good analysis on the collapse. Short version is that the steel within the concrete meant to mitigate the bottom platform's shearing tension was not pre-tensioned properly, which coupled with the lack of the final cable support being complete meant the middle section couldn't withstand the force being applied downward to it.

Happens in China all the time, concrete is only good for compressive force.

(((award)))

That was my first thought after watching Locke the night before the bridge collapsed. Fucking albanians must've snuck some C5 grade into the C6

See Just look at it.

I know, this is like the Oroville dam failure, people basically forgetting how to do stuff. The oroville spillway failed spectacularly because they neglected some basic maintenance. Now they basically have to rework the entire thing and it's gonna cost a fucking BILLION dollars. Yet nobody seems to care.

Attached: orospillwaydry.jpg (1177x686, 415K)

post tension. i used to do this work, your more than likely correct

>it's the sorry state of engineering & universities.

Attached: ww.jpg (5312x3412, 1.96M)

Isn't concrete normally packed with rebar? I can't actually find any info about rebar in the span in their plans, here

bridge building is really interesting, it's all about the shapes being able to take stress

The straw that broke the camels back

It wasn't completed yet you dumb fuck.

So what was the time period from the last pouring of the concrete to it being moved into position? Seems they were in a rush to get it moved (hence the design). Probably politics & budget & the company cutting down the time to make extra profits. And yes the titanium dioxide in the mix will be investigated - did it weaken the concrete mix, was it tested correctly, if it all passed did they follow the correct procedure when it was poured & left to cure?

Those are obviously girls though. You can tell by the handwriting

>woman egineer
you should have seen this coming
is america africa tier now cant even build a shitty bridge right?

I've looked through all the plans, thanks for the link anyways.
Yep, normally it does. For bridges it's very common to use prestressed, post-tensioned concrete, especially for spans longer than about 30 ft. If you look through the plans again you'll see the post-tensioning details for the members and slabs
>pic related

Attached: posttension.png (1096x647, 83K)

Kek maximus!

Attached: Capture.png (362x201, 9K)

All that it needed was extra support under it & just lose a few lanes of the traffic. Certainly in the UK we get pissed off with roadworks & "elf & safety", but when you see this we can be thankful for the pencil necks being so anal

This bridge seems like an extremely simple structure to build, I am amazed how these goblinos could fuck even this up. America is doomed

>made to LOOK like a modern suspended bridge.
that's basically america in a nutshell. nothing is real. everything is a husk. culture is non-existent.
i recently saw a building which was 1 story, but had dormers as if there was a 2nd story. there wasnt. the building had non-functional decorative dormers. why cant they just make a 1 story building really well? why do they have to make everything so sterile and shitty? america is just a monotonous strip mall wasteland, and the big cities are no better. overpriced nigholes with dilapidated public transport. even new york.
most americans dont realize how shitty this country is because they dont know anything else.

Attached: 71b2112475bb90c6421bc8dd5de0c271.jpg (580x300, 119K)

A competent engineer shouldn't sign off a project involving fake structural elements. It just goes against everything engineering is about. It should be "form follows function", this is the opposite. Like those stupid post modern buildings.

Dude they're going to get sued by everyone there's no way there won't be criminal charges of negligence involved

>We need to get the people on top to take responsibility.
What, were there really fat people walking on the bridge or something?
Were they jumping up and down?
Did they untighten the fucking bolts?
Why the fuck would you blame the people on top for the failure?

I find that particular modular type most fascinating, if you need to handle heavier loads or longer span just attach additional layers of the same metal puzzles. KISS, this stuff wins wars.

On the paper on bottom left yes but the top definitions look like a guy's handwriting

Could it have been over tensioned? So under tensioning would also mean a collapse when any load put on it (even it's own weight)?

I'd bet good money that these three aren't Asian.

Does anyone have a link to the actual video of it collapsing? Or at least a webm? Kinda want more than 4 frames to go on.

This. Why are people treating this like a happening?

Could be; but the point is this: Women: Not even once.

If my students showed me this I would physically punish them

A lot of understand the real lucky ones are the dead

Hahaha I knew it at first mention. Sup Forums has given me superpowers

>There will be an investigation
>implying this thread isn't the investigation

Attached: Liqc4Ws.jpg (1078x959, 182K)

i should also add that they received a passing grade

56% engineers
56% results

The top left looks way too shitty to be girl's handwriting. Definitely made by a male. The bottom left might be either one.

old fashioned shear/bending moment diagrams are fine olivermcgee.org/fiu-bridge-collapse-why-muller-breslau-matters/

Even the crane operator should have known not to so this. But he probably was a corrupt Cuban so he didn't give a shit.

Side note. Hitler built some of the best shit. There was a 1/2 completed high-speed freeway exit near Meiningen/Fulda that was drool-worthy.

Berlinka semi-related. Waaaay ahead of its time in 1937

Attached: 1521140883732.jpg (227x300, 17K)

Maybe they aced the exam.

If there are politicians involved, in other words they wanted it done in a certain way so it did not impede traffic & let safety regs be abused it will be covered up more then the cars currently flattened under said former bridge.

>the exam
you're looking at it

If you have ever done a grouo project with women you'd know you cant blame the guy for not doing the whole thing himself.

Is that what actually happened?

Wrong pic

Attached: 250px-Berlinka_(Highway)_2006.jpg (250x188, 10K)

>the university followed all the processes required during the building of the bridge
They were required to hire an independent and pre-approved engineering consultant to review the project, and apparently the consultant wasn't approved by the state/feds. So one of his boys provided oversight. He's lying.

this is so kek fun, in a state ruled 100% by dem's and they pussy workship

Which is why that span should never have been installed without support.

I see. I bet the teacher just didn't want to see them retake the course.

THE MEMES WRITE THEMSELVES AAAA

Attached: 1507075778638.jpg (1024x595, 97K)

I'm no bridge builder, but I do work with concrete in some capacity. If they didn't let it cure for at least 28 days, then it was not enough time. And I'm not even sure if 28 days would be enough time, like I said, I'm not a bridge builder. Anyways, the longer the better.

Attached: 23231.png (500x600, 227K)

Diversity hired company tried to make an artistic looking bridge, it failed since it wasn't designed properly 8 people died.