Finishes airing in US

>Finishes airing in US
>Didn't even get good receptions from any valuable critics

So can we put this to rest that this is an incredibly over hyped drama garbage that tries to be relative?

Other urls found in this thread:

villagevoice.com/2017/10/18/tracking-shots-this-week-in-film-24/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was too moe for western audiences

Why do you care about critics in the first place?

>critics
>valuable
Pick one.

I liked it.

>moe
It was garbage. Tearjerkers with an absent plot. Might as well be a shitty AMV with Crawling playing on the background.

I am not surprised that critics didn't like it, americans never actually understood animation.

Fuck the critics. They are all pretentious assfucks who should kill themselves.

The plot was about a bully who wanted to make amends with the past. You seriously didn't get it?

Not enough focus on Ueno and too much tearjerking for the blind retard.

That is a premise you dumbass. Nothing happened in the fucking movie.

You're kind of slow, I understand. Watch the movie again sweetie

>Nothing happened in the fucking movie.
???

>Nothing happened
Dude nice

The average American critic is a retard that thinks all animation is for children.

Why would anyone who isn't retarded care what they think? If you want to find retards that care go to Sup Forums.

Well, what did happen then?
>Bullies meet again
>They keep bullying girl
>Girl tries to kill herself
>Guy falls into coma
>Wakes up
END.

Woah, such great plot, such character development, such a convincing way to depict someone's suffering.

There aren't many (any?) valuable animation critics, at least in the west. We have a handful of good international animation festivals but that's it when it comes to worthwhile critical opinion. The animation/anime canon is nebulous at best.

>relative

>nothing happened
>well, what did happen then?
>proceeds to list things that happened
Dude epic

The film starts with Shoya Ishida setting his affairs to order before going to a bridge to jump. He comes to his senses at the last minute and recalls the time a new student was introduced to his class in elementary. In spite of being deaf and being unable to speak well, the new student, Shoko Nishimiya, tries her best to live normally and fit in but this soon upsets the social balance among the students who feel imposed upon by her handicap. Naoko Ueno who at first helps her out soon leads the rest of the girls to ostracize her. Shoya, who already considers her odd, begins to bully and harass her. Although the bullying and harassment soon intensifies, the class maintains an amused stance at the situation and does not intervene despite being witnesses. Shoko, on the other hand, feels guilty that his behavior is a result of her handicap and tries to make friends with him which enrages him more. One day, Shoko's ear bleeds after Shoya yanks out her hearing aids again. When the school principal reveals how expensive the missing and damaged hearing aids were, the thought of his mother working hard to make ends meet enters Shoya's mind. He declares his friends as accomplices but they vehemently deny their involvement and turn on him. Soon the class begins to harass and bully him, subjecting him to the same kind of treatment Shoko had gone through. One day, Shoya and Shoko had a scuffle after he discovers that she has been erasing hate messages from his desk. Shoko eventually transfers to another school leaving Shoya, a tormented outcast, behind.

Now in high school, Shoya remains a social reject because of his past often brought up by his former friends, but accepts it as just punishment. Full of guilt, shame and anxiety, he blocks out those around him, unable to look anyone in the eye. He works hard to repay his mother for the money she had to give for the hearing aids. He soon visits the sign language center to return Shoko's sixth-grade notebook in the hopes of making amends. After he tells her that he wants to be friends, he then remembers the time she made the same exact hand gestures which had enraged him and finally understands that she had only wanted to be friends with him.

Later on, Yuzuru, Shoko's younger sister, introduces herself as a young protective boy and as Shoko's boyfriend, doubts his intentions and keeps on preventing him from meeting Shoko again. Back at school, Tomohiro Nagatsuka, another loner, who considers him his big friend helps out Shoya so he could meet with Shoko again. While feeding the koi in the river and making conversation, the sixth-grade notebook accidentally falls into the river prompting Shoko to go after it. Shoya also jumps into the water after her out of concern.

A picture of him jumping into the river goes viral and Shoya is suspended from school for what he did. Yuzuru later reveals that she posted the photo online, but instead of getting angry, Shoya brings Yuzuru to stay at his house after he sees her sleeping in the park, appearing homeless. When Yuzuru leaves in the middle of the night, Shoya goes after her and tells her that he is remorseful for the way he treated Shoko, after which Yuzuru reveals that she is actually Shoko's younger sister.

In spite of being told not to befriend Shoya by Yaeko, the Nishimiya sisters' mother, they meet with Shoya again. And because Shoko wants to reconnect with Miyoko Sahara, the only classmate who was kind to her in elementary school, she and Shoya take the train to visit her. Shoya also runs into Naoko by chance. Although Naoko apologizes to him for what happened in the past, she remains antagonistic towards Shoko.

Shoko later gives Shoya a gift and confesses her feelings for him but because it it is not in sign language, Shoya misunderstands her. Worried that she was upset over the misunderstanding, Shoya invites her to go to an amusement park with him along with his former friends. There, Naoko finally speaks up about how she thought Shoko was the cause of the breakdown of the group. Back at school, desperate to remain blameless, Miki Kawai also exposes Shoya's past while downplaying her own involvement. The group then has a heated confrontation about each member's level of responsibility which ends with Shoya calling everybody out for who they really are; causing them to walk out and leave an unhappy Shoko behind.

To cheer Shoko up after the death of her grandmother, Shoya takes Shoko for a visit to the countryside. There, he finds out how much she blames herself for everything that has happened to him thus far. Desperate to reassure and change her mindset, Shoya contrives to meet with the sisters again and again. Shoko eventually invites him over to her house to help her and Yuzuru prepare for what turned out to be their mother's birthday.

During the fireworks festival, Shoko attempts suicide by jumping from their balcony. Shoya who had been on his way to retrieve Yuzuru's camera tries to save her but falls into the river himself as he pulls her to safety. He goes into a coma as a result which causes Naoko to reach her breaking point.

How's that brain damage working out for you?

One night, Shoko dreams of receiving a farewell visit from Shoya. Shoya, who has just recently woke up, finds her huddled on the bridge in despair. He formally apologizes to her for the way he treated her and the many things he did which may have pushed her over the edge. He asks her to stop blaming herself and also admits to having considered giving up but has since decided against it. Shoya then asks her to help him continue living on.

When Shoya goes to the school festival with Shoko, he finds out how much his friends from elementary still cared for his welfare - Kazuki Shimada and Keisuke Hirose were the ones whom pulled Shoya out of the river; Naoko was the one whom took care of him in the hospital; and Miki tried to gather a thousand paper cranes for Shoya. Lastly, Shoko had gone around to apologize to his friends in an effort to rebuild the group. After Shoya returns to school, he finally manages to look at people's faces. At that moment, Shoya realizes that he has already found redemption and forgiveness at last.

Anyone can edit Wikipedia it's hardly reliable

>US
Who fucking cares? Americans have a huge bias against Japanese stuff anyway, with just a few exceptions.

i've seen the movie, it checks out.

In the same year that an abusive anti-Semitic drunkard and all-around terrible human is in a high-profile family comedy after having once been nominated for Best Director, a film like Naoko Yamada’s anime A Silent Voice, about a violent man seeking redemption while his victim largely blames herself, plays as tricky at best. Shoya Ishida (Miyu Irino) is a sixth-grade bully who wastes no time tormenting the new girl in class, the hearing-impaired Shoko Nishimiya (Saori Hayami). This includes constantly destroying her hearing aids, and even physically attacking her — a sequence that is visually coded as a rape — when she persists in trying to be his friend. Their paths cross again several years later, and a despondent and vaguely suicidal Ishida tries to make amends with Nishimiya and her friends and family while also trying to work through his own social anxieties. It’s likely that much of A Silent Voice’s nuance has been lost in the adaptation from the source manga, and it certainly has a different resonance in its native Japan, but the synopsis describes his friendless-outcast status as “the tables turning” and “Shoya finding himself the victim,” which, no. It has some interesting visuals, but A Silent Voice demands investment in the redemption of someone who’s impossible to root for. And seriously, fuck Mel Gibson.

Bully wish fulfillment. Should have ended at the oneshot.

How can you prove you've actually seen it

This is exactly what the film and manga was targeting. People who are easy to dismiss or condemn anyone.

This review sucks

>considering US film critics valuable in regards to Anime

>Kazuki Shimada and Keisuke Hirose were the ones whom pulled Shoya out of the river;
This is too much.

>A Silent Voice, about a violent man seeking redemption while his victim largely blames herself, plays as tricky at best

Dude what? Is this a fucking SJW?

What was the point of mentioning Mel Gibson?

Swift reminder that Shoko is a miracle of the universe, and Ueno is a well developed character.

Because of his "antisemitic" remarks.

It's critic so yes.
Because critics love linking everything to social issues and current events to sound smart even though those things have nothing to do with what they're reviewing.

>Shouko tits

Where did this come from?

guaranteed replies

That's a terrible review. He missed so many important points, and there was no rape scene in the movie.

Better than this over hyped drama garbage

>movie about bullying isn't about social issues
SJWs aside, this is just plain wrong.

The crime isn't talking about social issues in general it's talking about Mel Gibson.

What the fuck is happening in this thread

Mel Gibson is a based man, even if his most recent film is shit. I hope he'll be able to make good things again.

>He missed so many important points, and there was no rape scene in the movie.

It's a she
villagevoice.com/2017/10/18/tracking-shots-this-week-in-film-24/
>Sherilyn Connelly

Lurk more.

>make a review
>review out of pure bias
>completely demonstrates one of the nuances this movie has

Holy shit.

Shoko has L I T E R A L L Y no reason not to hate this piece of shit faggot but the entire story revolves around them trying to couple. God I fucking hate KnK.

With age, user, she mature well.

>review out of pure bias

Politics aside, how did the reviewer do this?

She blames herself, not him user. That's a key part of her character. She's also clearly scared of him when they first meet again, going as far as to run away, but the notebook proved that he was truly trying to make amends.

Honestly please I don't remember seeing this panel. I honestly thought it was from that doujin but that looks legit official drawing.

By the time I was in high school I stopped hating my elementary school bullies and ended up being good friends with one of them. Eventually he apologized when we were drunk one night, it was a good bro moment.

Leave your basement once in a while.

>Over hyped drama
Looks like someone has the inability to comprehend a bare bones yet perfect story.
Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or a complete nit-wit.

Her bias came from the movie depicting that a bully is a victim. Kinda like what's going on with the whole industry when they condemn someone.

You have no way to try to make up for anything unless you know someone who will push you forward and "market" your change as something special.

The worst part is that it makes no sense to be there, The Gibson scandals were over a decade ago. it no longer relevant, unlike the Weinstein shit and all the other cases of producers and directors in Hollywood who sexually harrased women
This guy basically "watched" this movie and "wrote" this review to push his shitty agenda

>Let me just push my social and political agenda into a 7 sentence "review" of a film I clearly never cared for in the first place.

(((critics)))

>perfect
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here user.

>The Gibson scandals were over a decade ago. it no longer relevant, unlike the Weinstein shit and all the other cases of producers and directors in Hollywood who sexually harrased women

It's because Gibson is making a return. And for some reason she feels the need to rant about Gibson's return to the industry as a way to mirror this movie's way of somehow "depicting" that it's about giving bullies are also victims portrayal.

I mean just take a look at how she fucking missed it and says Shouya is a violent "man." If she should would've worded that as a violent kid, "maybe" she would've been right.

Ending was mediocre felt like the whole premise could have been drawn out better you know with out havinh a random romance that was created for no reason it really made no clue

>and there was no rape scene in the movie.

That last fight Shouko and Shouya had counts as rape.

I've seen a pic of the deaf girl asking the guy to fuck (completely forgot their names), was that actually in the manga? I don't remember seeing anything like that and the last thing that happens is them walking into a room holding hands

Go on. Prove yourself. How isn't it a modern day master piece? or are you one of those digirofags who always has to rip on something when it becomes popular because edgy elitist are cancer killing the industry.

Keep buying shitty otaku bait merch faggot.

Wait what rape happened in the manga? I completely forgot

I love this one the most.
>a sequence that is visually coded as a rape
That obsession with rape is amazing, maybe someone grants her a wish, if you know what I mean.

>random romance that was created for no reason it really made no clue

It makes a clue if you catch that they were only seeing each other every Tuesday. Sure it was abrupt but you wouldn't catch that the movie had at least 2-3 months spent.

It was very hard to depict the passing of time and I think Yamada should have been more blatant about the times they only meet.

Yeah, female on male rape.

You know if everything didnt feel like about 2 days apart from each other this shit would have felt meaning full

How is it a perfect story? I enjoyed the film, but I fail to see how it garners the hype that it's gained. Can you give me your take on why you feel that it's perfect?

I know that one but I don't remember seeing this panel at all

It was Shouko trying her best to get Shouya to open up to her. That's why she was trying her best to be "normal".
She also changed her hairstyle and bought him a gift. She was trying to get him to look at her because he, both emotionally and physically, won't look at her.

I wonder what cute noises shouko would make while having sex

>You know if everything didnt feel like about 2 days apart from each other this shit would have felt meaning full

The thing was so condensed that you wouldn't get it if you had no idea how to digest KyoAni or Yamada's depiction of time through background and settings.

I mean start was bright and cooler coolers like spring. Then you get harsh warmer tones to signify summer. It definitely gets lost as people overlook those things.

Can you prove how it IS a modern day master piece? And it's really unfair to say that because he doesn't think that it's perfect, he is obviously just an elitist for having a different opinion than you. Come on. Do better.

Also, how does Kimi no Nawa avoid being otaku bait?

I saw the movie before the manga and didn't see any romance happening, the manga makes the romantic feelings they both have for each other clearer but in the movie it's just not there aside from that half-assed confession from Shoko

>first half is body swap romcom
>second half is disaster movie
>know literally nothing about Taki by the end of the movie other than he has a temper
>why didn't they look at a calendar etc etc
Its pretty clear they were more focused on making it a visual presentation rather than a well-written one.

Its perfectly fine if you enjoyed it, I'm not the original guy who claimed it was an overhyped drama, but lets not pretend the narrative was perfect.

Come the fuck on, user, it's an obvious photoshop, how else would this situation ever happened?

>a sequence that is visually coded as a rape

Which is the reason why I was puzzled. Good shit though.

>tries to be relative
relative to what?
I'll aquiesce to your request if you stop using terms you dont understand in order to appear intelligent. deal?

I have to side with her on this. That scenes was extremely arousing and it really looked like a rape.

>That scenes was extremely arousing and it really looked like a rape.

Was it the knee?

He wasn't humping her how did it look like rape? Are you using the sjw definition, every single unwanted physical contact is rape?

>it really looked like a rape
I'm sure you can find a band of druggies that would like nothing more than to show you what rape looks like.

Not him, but the pacing is excellent, with brilliant shot composition and animation to match. The story is simple, and a basic one at that. Anyone with a sub-par IQ of over 80 could even comprehend that. Makoto Shinkai really made sure to strike the point home. And thus, resulting in a generally enjoyable experience that is a near or greater master piece. This is clearly only complemented by a flawless sound track by Radwimps. Take Zenzenzense for example, perfectly establishes the child like innocents with a hint of rebellious angst. We've all been there at that age.

A perfect melody of story, animation, and music.

However, if I need to explain myself further you can always refer to it's critical acclaim.

That in itself says enough.

>how isn't it
Not how it works

What's up with this meme thread? It has a 91% of RT

Berardinelli is one of the most established film critics out there and he gave it a 3/4 which is exactly what it deserves

Did any of y'all see any advertising for it?

Chex to you too, user.

>Berardinelli
Sorry, who?

You do realize that you just wrote an entire paragraph that just said "its perfect because its good"?
But I'll match it anyway.
There is a huge tone shift from the first half into the second with no build up. The movie exploits the hell out of the memory thing which becomes this glorified plot device to throw in twists instead of writing a more cohesive, believable sense of events.
Like, why did Taki write daisuki on Mitshua's hand when he knew she was going to forget him if he didn't? Hundreds of people were literally about to die and he chooses now to be a cheeky little bastard.

Also, a but of a minor nitpick, I fucking hated how the character designs clashed with the backgrounds. I didn't think they blended together well at all. Like that twilight scene when they first meet, you can see this extremely detailed panorama of these clouds and the sunset but then you have these simple as fuck characters interacting in a very important scene.

Isnt that the insurance company from Trigun

the late Eggbert-sama's personally endorsed tomodachi.

Maybe
Lmao. You're more likely to learn about rape from your uncle than from a "band of druggies"

It was overly melodramatic and tried too hard to pull the sympathy stuff every five minutes. I couldn't take that shit seriously. And on top of that the conclusion wasn't even satisfying.

Yeah that's what a druggie would say.