FLCL 2+3

Will they be good?

should i try yo understand the show before watching the upcoming seasons ? i thought it was fun but never tried to understand it

Probably not
It's a puberty/coming of age metaphor

It's a show about penises. No, really. How is that not easy to understand? Little kid with a big dick becomes a cool alpha who swings bats and pulls triggers and shit.

Also allow me to break down every coffee reference ever in anime.

Coffee is bitter.
Kids usually don't like coffee.
Kids usually think enjoying coffee is mature and intelligent
Thus kids force themselves to drink coffee in order to appear mature
are you following me?

seems it doesn't even have the same MC

FLCL is an anthology series now so I'm pretty sure they're gonna reintroduce similar themes and plot points in the second season.

no

Probably not but FLCL is pretty much an extended music video anyway so hopefully it lives up to that standard.

I dont get FLCL, and all explanations about those metaphors and deep meanings seem a little far-fetched to me, what was the true intention of the animation staff?
I want official sources

>caring about creator intentions
That's not the point of art user

listen to the dvd commentary tracks

No

>Naota
>becoming alpha
Stopped reading right here.

FLCL isn't good

I have my doubts, but I'll go into it not expecting anything other than knowing that the new MC is a girl and Haruko is returning.
Tsurumaki is just a supervisor and Sadamoto isn't designing the new characters, but at least the music will be by The Pillows again, and I think the original writer (who also did the manga) is writing the new plot.

Sadamoto is still helping them out with some designs
>Are you only doing the designs or a little more?
>Sadamoto: At first they wanted to make Haruko’s character appear, you know, the heroine of the first series. They wanted to use her in FLCL 2, so they asked me if they could use my name, and I attended the meeting for that purpose. Then they showed me all the characters there would be, and asked me how many I could handle. So… it’ll be impossible for me to do all of them, but I’m willing to help with some of the main ones.

That's cool, although I'd rather Sadamoto keep working on Aoki Uru along with Yamaga.
I-it'll surely come out this time... they said 2018.

the new screen writer has only written stage plays before. The original screen writer made the novel as well, not the manga.

>the new screen writer has only written stage plays before.
That reminds me about many of the original FLCL seiyuus actually coming from theatre/stage play background and not anime.
And thanks for the correction, I always get that mixed up about the manga/novel.

expect an extremely desensitized version, there will be no more smoking teenagers, no more morally questionable relationships between children and adults, no more arson and characters we are supposed to simpathise with, causing willing destruction.

they will ruin haruko as a character by just delegating her to a cheerleader role to root on the main female mc.

the main female character will be a simple mary sue who will be instantly liked by the main cast, because "muh vagina"

there will also be a retarded love triangle and the mc will flutter about with multiple characters trying to win her over, but of coarse she will be indecisive because in the writers head introvert=indecisive.

all in all the show will be a soddy female mary sue fantasy.

screencap this comment and don't say you were not warned.

I'm personally expecting some Haruko x New MC yuri.
Also, why no more smoking teens or questionable relationships? I know Toonami is helping fund this project, but the makers are still japanese,.

you don't have to because it's gonna be a separate plot. but you should because it's the best anime of the 2000s and probably the last genuinely great thing the industry has churned out.

as if the characters awkwardly talking about "bitter drinks" for 5 minutes isn't proof enough

>watching FLCL right when it came out in the year 2000
>"woah, this is the future of anime, I can only wonder what anime will look like in 10 years"
>2017
>animation hasn't really gotten better in general. If anything, digitalization of anime made it more sterile

Are OVAs still a thing? I think the last one I watched was Karas
>

>but the makers are still japanese

this will not help because the observation is true of anime in general.

anime has become extremely bland as of late, and this will be a reflection of that.

Modern OVAs are usually slightly above TV quality. They generally just feel like an extra episode of the anime. Doesn't matter though because nobody subs them anyway

Considering the first one was overrated dogshit, probably not.

Hidden.

That's an opinion, but it's not relevant.

Its about manning up and fucking a bitch. That's it. The events of the anime are just a allegory for the turmoil a teen goes through leading up to their first sexual experience.

>Will they be good?

was the original?

They are literally extra episodes, OVA just means direct to video. Since that format died the only things released that way are bluray extras.

There's not much indication either way from Sup Forums's cannibalization of two screenshots and 5 seconds of footage.

To their credit they realize FLCL was largely a work of novice intuition, and they said they're gonna try to recapture that by letting new animators experiment. Whether or not you can manufacture that kind of lightning in a bottle a second time, I dunno.

Whatever the case the original can't be replaced in its general 'somewhere between the past and the present' Y2K vibe. The biggest potential success for this one is doing the same thing for this generation in a different way.

>To their credit they realize FLCL was largely a work of novice intuition
Was it really? I know each episode had a different director with their own experimental style and influences, but were they novice? Tsurumaki had just come out from directing the first half of The End of Evangelion before FLCL.

Well I guess that explains its popularity around here since Sup Forumsutists don't actually know what the events leading up to a first sexual experience are like.

no

You won't be able to find a coming-of-age story elsewhere whose form is better synchronized to content than FLCL.

>Sup Forumsutists don't actually know what the events leading up to a first sexual
Sweet projection, avatarfag.

why does she have a look of cluelessness while the male has a look of desperation?

why does she seem more worried that the dude is holding her by the hand than anything else?

we all know that there will be a retarded scene of her saying "that is the first time I was held by the hand by a boy" while looking at her hand.

it was this bit of the trailer that told me pretty much all I needed to know about this anime.

>h-he's found me out
>I know! I-I'll say he's p-projecting!

It looks more like disorientation than kya a boy

It’ll be ok

Who are you quoting, avatarfag?
And yes you were projecting.

Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Can you understand FLCL if you're a virgin?

Stop replying to him.

Let me guess, you're a gen Z kid who wasn't even born when FLCL came out and by the time you came across it, it was already a popular show because of Toonami.
Here's the thing, a lot of people actually watched FLCL on fansubbed VHS (or just buying the original japanese DVDs, they came with english subs).
I can understand about your aversion to FLCL because it's "popular" and it's a show from before you were born, but that doesn't mean your taste is good. I mean, look at your avatarfagging.

how does a literal circle for a mouth indicate all of that?
Just wait it out another 2 months and find reasons to hate if after you see it, user

You're autistic

Yes, only women wouldn't get it.

while watching the scene, notice that she looks in the direction of his head multiple times instead of say looking behind her, or looking at the ground so she would not, say stumble.

>none of the original writers
most likely not, but crazier things have happened in life.

Doesn't change anything

>only looking at the mouth

look at where she is looking at, and ask yourself why is she looking there instead of anywhere else?

No and No.

do not confuse diligence with autism.

most people that watched it before it aired on Toonami probably downloaded it. I know I did.

I didn't get DSL internet until late 2001, in 2000 I was still on dial-up, I remember downloading a 5 minute .avi would take me a week maybe.
I just bought the fansubbed VHSs until I could import the DVDs straight from gainax online shop in early 2001. I bought the 6th OVA right when it came out.

yeah, downloading anime with dial-up was a pain in the ass. Took me around a week to download one episode from Kazaa. Didn't watch FLCL until 2002. I don't think the show was fansubbed online before then anyways.

That doesn't even make sense.

FLCL 2 will be too much of a rehash of the original for the younger generation, so my only hope for something good is FLCL 3.

Interested in how many times they'll do the manga bit again...

>best anime of the 2000s

you mean death note

no

>sequel has a female main character

It shouldn't bother me but this just reminds me of stuff like Last Exile and Darker Than Black that ended up being mediocre because they were chasing le cute girls XD audience.

It does make a difference especially if your show is about adolescence.

>all this negativity and low expectation
Who knows, it might end up good.

They'd have to come up with a completely different theme from adolescence if they were to have a male MC and keep it different from the original, so it's understandable in this case.

This guy is Naota, huh? And he will be like that fake-brows commander, i think

That's supposed to be a different character, although he looks like Naota.
Naota is supposed to maybe make an appearance in the new series, but he's already an adult, like 20-something, not in high school anymore.

It's not Naota. Only Haruko and Canti will return in the season (as far as we know).

I hope it'll be good, but FLCL didn't really need a sequel.

I dont think people are really looking for anything massively new, though. FLCL had a certain style that only got 6 episodes to really manifest - stuff like Abenobashi sort of had elements of it, I suppose.

It takes something that was pretty unique and puts it squarely in the territory of stuff that's already been done a few times.

So no one that originally worked on the original is working on this?

Original script writer is on board, Sadamoto is not the main character design but apparently he's helping, Tsurumaki is supervising, and music will feature new tracks by the pillows

This still doesn't put my mind at ease because it's going to be 15 years inbetweteen season 1 and season 2.
>Sadamoto is not the main character design but apparently he's helping
What is he getting coffee for whoever shat out the MC's design?

>Original script writer is on board
He's not

some animators that worked on the original are working on it

Didn't NEED a sequel, but I think there were enough loose plot threads dangling that a sequel can add some context. I'd be happy learning more about Haruko's past connections and MM.

>15 years inbetweteen season 1 and season 2
Same thing with Gunbuster, but I liked how the sequel turned out (even if a lot of people didn't).

I wish they'd take the talent they've assembled and do something else with it.

FLCL was good because it was a bunch of novice artists just stretching out and going off of intuition. It's gonna be hard to recapture that kind of spirit when making a sequel.

My bad then. Wasn't anyone else involved? the manga artist?
Diebuster felt a lot like "FLCL with girl MC", actually.
I'm not expecting this to be better than the original FLCL, but I'm not against it either. I also want to learn more about Haruko, even though we'll probably be left with more questions than answers, I'll be happy to see more Haruko as long as the original voice actress is on (she is, right?).
I'd also REALLY like to see Kamon back, or at least his voice actor, he was my favorite along with Haruko.

>I turned my brain off at episode 5

>novice
Could you really say Gainax post-Evangelion can be called novice? Nevermind the guys were already working in the industry before Gainax was founded.

yoshinari won't return and thus I don't care about it

I mean, they're at least trying. FLCL 2 and 3 will also be made by animators with no directing credits.

The director was still pretty fresh, all things considered.

I guess novice isn't really the right word though. It's more like it was a bunch of artists who had yet to make something of their own and finally had the occasion to. I don't know if you can get that kind of energy in a sequel.

>Wasn't anyone else involved? the manga artist?
No, he's not involved. Some key animators are returning and maybe one of the animation directors but I think I'm wrong about that.

>dude every single shot and every line of dialogue can be interpreted as either an innuendo or is a psychological metaphor
>lol lets splash some tits in there to make the main character feel uncomfortable, confused and out of his comfort zone
>wow so much symbolism my man
>hehe allegory for puberty and teen angst :)
It's not deep, it's fucking trash and half of it is unfunny random bullshit.

>random bullshit
Name one (ichi) "random" thing in the whole show.

>I've read online that this show is nothing but sexual symbolism, so I'm gonna disregard it and trash talk it, even if I never watched it!

Also, FLCL is not supposed to be "deep", it's all about the animation.

>I don't know if you can get that kind of energy in a sequel
I think you can. The screen writer has never written for anime before and most of the episode directors are key animators that have never directed an episode before.

>Little kid with a big dick becomes a cool alpha
That's not the story.
The story is that your first love is gonna get over you no matter what.
Naota has a crush on haruko but it will never work out, because shes been around and what he thinks is alpha is still pathetic.
Naota learns to move on, eyebrows dude never did and thats why he is such a loser.

can anyone actually elaborate on the meaning of this series? When I watched it I really liked it but never tought it was 2deep4me

The story is that the left brain / right brain conflict is the font of human freedom.

medical mechanica conquer planets by using giant irons, which brainwash the planet's inhabitants. Atomsk is a cosmic entity that can seize planets with ease, and M.M is interested in his powers, they're able to capture it. That's when Haruko comes in, she's been chasing Atomsk for a long time. Since she can't enter or attack M.M alone, she tries to "hack" into M.M by using N.O. channels i.e. portals in people's heads.
Ultimately she is successful into releasing Atomsk out of M.M by using Naota's head as a portal, but Naota gains control of Atomsk (or the other way around maybe), and fights her. Atomsk ultimately shows that he's a lot more powerful than Haruko and escapes to space again.
There's also the whole Amarao sub-plot and how he already knew Haruko because se visited Earth before, when Amarao was Naota's age, which probably led him to become the way he is and investigate against both M.M. and Haruko's "space agent" activities on Earth.

Construct your own meaning. It's an animated Rorschach test, the dense semiotics accommodate all sorts of different interpretations. That's part of what makes it so beloved.

Pretty good summary actually. I'd just add that the whole time Haruko is trying to escalate the conflict between Amarao's organization and MM so that MM is forced to play its hand (Atomsk). In the resulting chaos, she hopes to consume Atomsk.

>no Gainax
>no Tsurumaki
>western involvement in the development of the whole thing
>female MC
It'll be shit.

Of course not.

the only good thing that can come of this:

season 2: a "cover album," a rehash of the original meant to appeal to fans who have no understanding of good storytelling and only care that all the main story beats are hit in the right order. excellent, but the same as a child growing up (!!) learning from the original, not expanding on it but just trying to emulate the original. slight variation is allowed, but nothing major or significant that goes against the original. homage through and through, a love letter, non-threatening but still appealing to the major audience. this is what fans will want, and it will sell sweatshirts and cat-face beanies. this season is where all the footage from the trailer is from, and we haven't seen a single moment of season 3 yet. we won't until it airs.

season 3: a total distortion of expectations, excellent animation quality and a clear, genius artistic vision that completely goes against the spirit of the original in a way that respects it but refuses to be stuck inside of it. references and acknowledgements abound while actively working to destroy the "formula" people came to love about the show. majority will be upset. will be recognized as masterful when novelty-seeking, greedy fans have moved onto something else. something that has truly become "adult" instead of staying a child.

why else make two seasons?

looking forward to it. if both seasons are just fanservice, it will just be a betrayal to the characters and environment that they spent so much time creating, and i'll never forgive them for making it.

autism

you're absolutely right. i still am, too. but hey, if they have some fun with it along the way, at least we can laugh at that anyway.

Nah man, I think that user has a good point. Look at what they're doing with Star Wars. Zero-risk, pandering episode 7 that's way too close to the first movie in its structure. But it brought in the bucks and caught attention to try something else with the side movies, and maybe the rest won't be total shit. One can only hope. For FLCL that is, I don't give a flying fuck what they do with Star Wars, let the SJWs have it.