Why don't they stick with the people they run into?

Why don't they stick with the people they run into?

more mouths to feed

This. This is not a "slowly rebuild society from the ashes of the old world" apocalyptic setting.

There are no animals, no plants, not even fungus, the only food left in the world is the ever decreasing supply of MREs.

This is literally the final generation of humanity we are witnessing. The only thing you can do is continue to live another day because living today is all you have left. There is no tomorrow. More people just get in the way of that.

Read and watch The Road, then it will all make sense.
These types of settings are so depressing...

This is a potato

This is a potardo

>There are no animals

The fish they ate implies otherwise.

Because they can't go any wider.

it was literally the last fish, and they killed it.

No they did not, it was already dead when they found it.

so if that fish was already dead what makes you think the others are alive? or even that there are others?

There are another one.

If the water is clean annough to drink, and there is still sunlight reaching the ground etc. it is certain that some life will spawn from durable seed or bacteria sooner or later.
In the planet's history that sort to think happened more then just once.

I really think it is unrealistic that the mapping guy did not try to stick to them.
People get insane when they are alone for too long and therefore want others around them.

He didn't stick with them because he went off to die. Which is also why he gave them the camera

How could she forget her boyfriend?

But that takes hundreds of thousands of years

Sure, humaity is definitely fucked.

Can life even bloom on this planet anymore? This might be the end of existence on Earth, period.

>boyfriend
He was her victim. The only reason she didn't keep him as a living fuck toy is because it would be another mouth to feed.

>Which is also why he gave them the camera
He gave them the camera because he decided to stop trying to fix the moment in maps and images, and instead just experience everyday stand alone.
Oddly enough, he realised that the most permanent version of now was also the most temporary. A hard copy can be lost, a photo can be erased. The memory remains.

Or at least that's how I looked at it, rather then the more straight forward "Hold my camera, I'm going to jump off this cliff" interpretation.

They found fish in the manga I think