What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: bridges.png (1024x768, 803K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KtiTm2dKLgU
musical-u.com/learn/tension-in-music/
youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw
lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.fi/&httpsredir=1&article=13054&context=rtd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

(((capitalism))) and (((pride)))

BUILD BRIDGES NOT WALLS!

this
youtube.com/watch?v=KtiTm2dKLgU

also diversity hires

Attached: 1521175489645.jpg (768x1018, 193K)

Overly delicate bridge design with multiple single points of failure, because FIU and it has to be "a milestone in engineering".
Add cheap unskilled labour to that to tighten the tension rods, and you've got yourself a catastrophic failure.

Why didn't Jesus save her?

Kek, wtf is this? Is this a new meme?

Attached: 1521057825881.jpg (720x692, 49K)

jesus did, that either power steering fluid of tranny fluid. there's another photo angle that shows just the engine bay being crushed.

Well for starters they decided to build a bridge to nowhere.

on the top you see italians. underneath you see when jews get in there

Well, the lesson to be learned here, especially for terrorists, is that if you climb on top and mess with only one tesion rod, the whole thing comes crashing down.

Attached: 1521316056571.png (1197x769, 531K)

Tension and release, it's art, bigot!
musical-u.com/learn/tension-in-music/

Trump does nothing while nation's infrastructure crumbles. Gotta play golf instead.

Obama was the “infrastructure president”. Where’s his blame?

This is a failure caused by women, and should hopefully cost female-centric engineering firms a lot of fucking money going forward.

that was it?
but thats not even a suspension bridge (pic related).
it is hard to believe that was all it took for this small bridge to come down.

Attached: iu[1].jpg (1600x1200, 338K)

Survivorship bias
Most bridges built in the 100s are collapsed. This is a rare one that still stands
In 2000 years, I doubt that even bridges like golden gate, mackinac, etc, will still be standing either

Get your phallic towers and white people engineering out of here

Attached: ggbridge.jpg (1440x700, 161K)

>yfw they get off scott free because of feminism
>company continues to build bridges

What do you expect from a state full of hard republicans. The Bible isn't gonna help you make bridges, poor wittle cuckservatives

Attached: maskoff.png (165x115, 16K)

>Americans can't into archways

NOT WHITE
O
T

W
H
I
T
E

women

I live near that Bridge, it’s beautiful

I beg your pardon

Attached: poi_gallery_image-image-b4463ce5-59e9-4140-9593-8ab3cc4b985a.jpg (1024x480, 55K)

It turns out that form does follow function and ugly, asymmetrical modern art bridges are engineering nightmares that are shakily held together by clever hacks at the very best.

Attached: guys its ugly so its progressive.jpg (1024x768, 110K)

Attached: 6pog1D7.jpg (655x1024, 135K)

It just shows science is a joke. Ancient structures from thousands of years ago are much better built then modern engineering scientific structures.

Why don't you go into the forest and live an ancient life then?

It's fucking Florida. Florida could fuck up a cup of coffee. It's a wretched hive of scum and villainy where up is down, down is up, and the air is made of soup half the year. They let Casey Anthony go.

This has nothing to do with science

It has to do with architects trying to one up each other to prove their creativity and therefore worth in a culture where all ideas are good ideas just waiting tor popular approval

Attached: 014236.jpg (898x1441, 326K)

literally feminism

no. it's people skimming more profits by lowering engineering standards

and to think florida has no real winter.. lol

Whites. Only constant during this steady decline

This. They made a truss bridge that looked like a new concept cable stayed bridge (for light shows), but they weren't smart enough to do a real cable stayed bridge. It is post modern architecture nothing more.

Attached: bridgeoverview.jpg (1663x877, 538K)

the unkindest cut is that she is paid at least 200k for her incompetence, and she won't ever be fired.

What browser gets you that layout?

Attached: select-squares-with-bridges.jpg (399x582, 73K)

>soystructures

females

Attached: build a bridge and get over it.jpg (1267x1980, 298K)

That whole thing is littered with buzzwords, it's ridiculous.

>state
>capitalism

muh public highways and bridges!!!!!!!!!

Attached: r2c24f.png (320x177, 142K)

YFW this has more to do with the contractors installing the bridge than the engineers. YFW the contractors were male, and should have been female, then this shit would have been done right.

I-is this true?

Attached: woah.png (422x402, 161K)

Short answer: Field revisions and mistensioning

The comparison between a bridge that is just being built falling down and one that has stood forever standing makes zero sense.
How many bridges back in 100AD collapsed before they were finished? How many bridges weren't built because they didn't have the technology? Apart from them both being bridges, in what way are the two similar?

Yes its an all-woman engineering firm.

>florida man

>How many bridges back in 100AD collapsed before they were finished?

None.

>109' feet
>'
>feet

God this is fucking retarded.

actually it is a suspension bridge.

It was a truss bridge. The suspension part was supposed to be only for show.

Is it really surprising to you that a bridge that uses tensioned concrete will fall if that tension is messed with?

Should be simple for a White male to understand.

>High performance concrete

Attached: 9vklLXJ.jpg (400x386, 24K)

No.

^^^Full retard. You should be embarrassed Sup Forums

That truss looks smaller than the span between the two supports in that image.

it crashed

Not to me. I learnt as a kid- if I unscrew my bellybutton, my legs will fall off.

>MCM is led by six brothers: Raul, Juan, Jorge, Lou, Pedro and Fernando Munilla. Pedro Munilla, one of MCM's vice presidents, has been an avid contributor to prominent politicians, including Florida US Sen. Marco Rubio, former Gov. Charlie Crist and Mario Rafael Díaz-Balart, a Republican US representative, records show.

I can find the stories of these retards spouting their nonsense, however I can't see anything linking them to MCM?

MCM is the contractor. The engineering firm is separate.

>clever hacks
are you seriously called post tensioned concrete a hack?

I don't think this is uncommon. My neighbors are residential builders, and they've donated all kinds of things, construction and otherwise, to the town.

Structural engineer here, what the fuck were they thinking with those retarded members? Did they fall for the aesthetics meme?

Spanish bridges are fucking boring, the Disney event bridge world of the USA engineering masterpiece is where it's at.

youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

so they work for FIGG? I can't find that anywhere either

Was this posted?

Attached: 1521334459263.jpg (1165x983, 236K)

there were more factors than that.

This. Or more precisely, an unsuspended suspension bridge with the supports not up to spec, some of the supports in the wrong place, and some overtightened tension rods to try to compensate.

well it is now.

They hired women and minorities to engineer and manage the build. That's what happened.

Find me one white male in charge at that job site and I'll give you and handjob, no homo. Hint: you won't find one.

...ment supports during transport

No. The pylon and members are faux. 16" pipe. For light shows and feels.

I really hate how the new Starwars movie shit on the idea of Representive Republics being SJW mommy coddlers, instead of institutions made to secure public order, defend freedoms, and pass laws for the common good.

It literally took a huge steaming dump over what generations of Americans fought and died for; and replaced it with existential "class" warfare of the worst sort.

Attached: elementaryMydearMrData.jpg (628x617, 66K)

Hack is probably accurate in this case. Obviously prestressed concrete is nothing new, but it's being used in a completely novel way for this project. So an interesting bridge was produced, but at the cost of predictability.

>completely novel way
you "obviously" know nothing about this bridge, or bridges in general. "Pre-stressed" tells me you don't know the difference between tension and stress, and the entire point of failure was in the POST-tensioning cylinder. Because this is a post-tensioned truss bridge, not pre-tensioned.

Post-tensioned truss bridges have been around for over 60 years.
lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.fi/&httpsredir=1&article=13054&context=rtd
page 15

It wasn't an interesting bridge. It is a very boring construction. The interesting parts were the speed of construction, and the giant facade on the top.

>new Starwars
was also a hot load all over star wars itself
just like this bridge was a fuck you to fundamentals of bridge design

When they moved it into place they fucked up

the supports weren't in the same spots as in the design docs, because there was sand and shit in the way. Someone compromised and figured it'd be fine moving the supports a little further inwards

This caused extra stress on the bridge. Something broke and the stress on one of the truss things didn't let up even after the bridge was installed.

Furthermore, post installation the steel supports inside the trusses all had to be tensioned. Well, the guys on top of the bridge with the crane were doing exactly that when the bridge collapsed.

So most likely something already broke and was already stressing the steel, and then these guys tensioned it up even more and it catastrophically failed.

Attached: 1521358301472.jpg (1024x768, 186K)

It failed exactly where the guy on top was doing something to the tension rods. My guess is he put too much pressure on it and it broke. By design the bridge had multiple single points of failure, and that tension rod was one of them.

Hmm, maybe you don't understand. Post tension is a type of prestress.

You linked to a document on composite bridges. What does it have to do with the FIU bridge exactly?

Did you read the lines below and above the link? I gave a source for my claim "Post-tensioned truss bridges have been around for over 60 years"
Which goes against your claim that this was a novel bridge construction.

>Visual Quality Aesthetics Director
What that means and why it is so high

In finnish it is something like "first tension". It doesn't make sense to me that you would call it pre-stress, since you're compressing the concrete to protect against future stresses.
I'll concede that I didn't know the English term.

Attached: 1491425856722.jpg (1334x694, 530K)

>1 post by this ID

Y'all niggas replyin to a slide thread
sage

Attached: sagebomb.png (460x288, 144K)

The top bridge designed by a man, the bottom bridge was designed by a woman

Attached: Canada.jpg (638x490, 31K)

Attached: 1518111283164.png (1266x1010, 187K)

Feminism is Marxist Postmodernism, not remotely Capitalist. This group of idiots built a bridge upon pure ideology instead of scientific merit, and it collapsed as Communism always does. This is indeed the deadly Pride of the delusional. But, worry not... it wasn't a REAL bridge. Real bridges have never been tried.

Attached: IMG_20171125_234359.jpg (800x400, 51K)

shouldn't you be on /r9k/?
what does women hate thread material have to do with this bridge collapsing?

Attached: 1443861720163.jpg (640x1321, 392K)

Yes, so this document is referring to a very different thing...
Composite bridges are very conventional and place concrete on top of steel, so that the steel is under tension and concrete under compression. The post-tensioning they refer to in this context is on the steel structure in order to increase strength of an already constructed beam.
This IS a novel project because it's an extremely long and heavy span, and the largest pedestrian bridge to ever use this type of transporter. On top of it all, it relies entirely on prestressed concrete. They made use of some existing techniques, of course, but as a whole, it's not normal, and thus not highly predictable.

Attached: cta-external-pt.jpg (980x276, 38K)

Oh leaf ancient societies made cities, farms and roads, living in the woods is being a hunter or savanger.

Fastest concrete i know of

You didn't read the cite and you're still talking about it.
Since you seem to be able to somewhat read Sup Forums posts, but not links, I describe it to you:
There is an introduction in that paper, and part of that (1.3) is a literature review. In this, the concepts around the dissertation "Strengthening composite bridges by post-tensioning" are explored briefly.
1.3.3, which is on page 15, which I mentioned when I used it as a cite, looks at the history of post-tensioning.
From 1.3.3, where they look at the history of post-tensioned bridges, there is a cite from a paper from THE SIXIES of a post-tensioned concrete bridge in Canada.

The transporter is an aspect of the speed of construction in my opinion.
And the internet consensus is that the revisions for the transporters (moved from underneath the pier to the midspan, no spreader plates) in the interest of getting the bridge installed quickly is that caused the failure.

Skarl?